• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Reviving Texas Melee

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
Melee already won lmao, but that bad game brawl just keeps coming back.

oh and brawl sucks
do you read what people are posting? or are you just trolling?

We aren't accusing Melee of sucking - you're just bashing Brawl for no reason whatsoever.

and that gay *** signature makes you even more annoying

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Enjoy that ban, little buddy.

Lets get back on subject please. In case you guys missed it(due to the ****** spamming) if you melee playe show up to whobo on sunday you wont have to pay the 55$ venue/badge fee. it will be knocked down to 25$.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Guys, if someone's starting a flame war over Brawl vs. Melee, don't add more fuel to the fire. This is a no insult thread.

Kal

Smash Champion
As much as I would love to drive down to Houston for a Melee tournament, the $25 venue fee is just too much. However, if any of your future events have Melee, Xyro, then I will try to attend and bring along the rest of Austin.

Also, Zigsta's avatar rules. The Princess and the Frog is an awesome movie.

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
Lets get back on subject please. In case you guys missed it(due to the ****** spamming) if you melee playe show up to whobo on sunday you wont have to pay the 55$ venue/badge fee. it will be knocked down to 25$.
As much as I would love to drive down to Houston for a Melee tournament, the $25 venue fee is just too much. However, if any of your future events have Melee, Xyro, then I will try to attend and bring along the rest of Austin.
If you can convince PZ John to let people prereg a Sunday badge for a discount (15 or 20) then you could probably THIS GUY ^

and others to come. We can't have the cost of entry be less than half the door fee!

Player-4

See you in 25 years
Guys, if someone's starting a flame war over Brawl vs. Melee, don't add more fuel to the fire. This is a no insult thread.
You heard the man, me and Zig will be tag teaming this thread.

I will say now I'm not a Melee player, and probably never will be just because it's not really my kind of game (too fast paced), but I love watching it and I'd love to see the scene grow and get closer to what it used to be. So don't think I'm here to side with the Brawlers, I'm on both sides honestly, and will treat you guys equally.

Everything seems to be staying pretty smooth besides the little bout with Smash Champ. So just keep it that way guys.

Lets get Melee back on track instead of pointless, childish squabbles over Brawl vs. Melee

Also, Zigsta's avatar rules. The Princess and the Frog is an awesome movie.
It is a national event you know, so to play in a national for $25 is a steal imo. Everyone playing Brawl is going to pay $55.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
What's the status of Melee in all the major Texas cities? Kal, how's the UT Smash Club doing? I know you guys were pretty active last year and even drove to Dallas for tournaments.

Like P4 said, I'm not a Melee player. Used to play it, but Bowser just suits me better in Brawl. That said, I've got a lot of friends who still play, I support them.

'Preciate the digging my avatar, by the way. Louis is the MAN.

MasterShake

Smash Lord
Have a big Melee(/brawl if *shudder* necessary) national over the summer. Mexico players will have their visas and I assume it would be less expensive for Cali/Midwest to travel there (as opposed to East coast nationals). I could be wrong because I don't know much about flying/living costs in TX. But it sounds like you have the playerbase and the resources to make it happen.

MT_

Smash Ace
The UT Smash Club has since died with the departure of our dedicated president Noc. Tirno and I are going to try and get it restarted this semester though, which would match up with reviving Texas melee.

Kal

Smash Champion
Player-4, it's not that the price is unfair, I simply don't have $40 or so to spend on a smash tournament.

Zigsta, this fall has been fairly hectic for Tirno and me, so the club was not doing so well. However, this spring should be less worrisome and we will try and host events. We're even hoping that the first tournament in the circuit DoH is trying to start will be run at UT. Moreover, we're hoping to run Melee tournaments at least once a month.

UltimateHaxor123

Smash Apprentice
What's the status of Melee in all the major Texas cities? Kal, how's the UT Smash Club doing? I know you guys were pretty active last year and even drove to Dallas for tournaments.

Like P4 said, I'm not a Melee player. Used to play it, but Bowser just suits me better in Brawl. That said, I've got a lot of friends who still play, I support them.

'Preciate the digging my avatar, by the way. Louis is the MAN.
D'oH is probably way more qualified to answer this than i am, but seeing that he hasn't posted since like...the first post, i'll fill in for now

I used to think that dallas melee was pretty much dead until my friend, sung475, and I (mostly him tho) hosted a tournament recently. It was called the Coppell Christmas Bash (CCB) and surprisingly more people than we expected showed up (25-ish). We had people from Houston drive up to dallas and even some people from oklahoma looked interested (though i don't think they ever showed).

Then a few days later, darkrain hosted a smashfest at his house but not many people went (we had like 6 people and 5 setups lol). In short, the dallas melee scene is far from dead. It's just inactive. I'm sure if we could find a decent venue and set up tourney's every now and then, we could start attracting new players as well as old players.

Tirno

Smash Journeyman
I think this semester the UT Smash Club can host regular tournaments, as part of a Texas circuit or just normal regional tournaments. Rooms at UT are easy to reserve, so venue shouldn't be an issue.

Also, after talking a bit with DoH and Kal, I was thinking that venue fees from our tournaments could be put towards stuff like pot bonuses or even a good player fund (like the West Coast's). Yes?

Grinin

Smash Journeyman
We're going to host more fests and/or tournaments at our place, and may even have a potential venue.

Heh, we were planning on having a small smashfest at our place and ended up having a small tourney with 13 entrants and like 20 people total in one room with 5 setups, bigger than quite a few previous TYS tournaments. In the near future we could very well have some monthlies going.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/516492-super-smash-bros-melee/57750754

Houston players: I need you to find Slashtap, get in touch with him and his school, and get them integrated with the community.

Also I need a Houston player (or players) dedicated enough to put together a tournament for the forthcoming circuit. Currently I'm considering three stops, and then a championship. First at UT, then TCU, then somewhere in Houston, and back to Dallas (or maybe Austin) for the championship. Volunteers, hit me up on aim or facebook. Jake, I'm looking at you.

Dallas' main problem is lack of hosting venues. I'm working on that.

Would people prefer extra venue fees go towards a season pot bonus or towards a good player fund?

baka4moé

Smash Champion
Woo this is awesome Texas melee!!!!

Good player fund for sure. I feel that adds so much hype, encouraging even more and better players to travel to texas.

lol I can't believe I just read this thread in its entirety. Luciano you're ********. If I somehow made it back to houston for spring break, I'll try to get a bunch of my friends to come to whobo :).

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
DoH, you dirty turnip farmer, you didn't answer my question!

As for the 'more professional tournaments' part, for Dallas specifically, have you checked with FX Game Exchange (the venue that Phase uses)? I know Monica was talking about hosting melee there eventually, but now she has Mono and like three other ailments, so shes goig ot be out of commission for the next couple of months. Would DFW meleers be willing to leg it up to northern Dallas for tournies?
Good player fund sounds better. And 25$ for a sunday pass at Whobo sounds nice =]

MT_

Smash Ace
Good player fund for sure. If we are able to get one of the pro smashers out to a Texas tournament, not only will it raise hype and give more incentive for everyone to go, it will raise awareness of the Texas scene to the rest of the world.

Jake13

Smash Lord
Oscar and I talked to m2k and he said he'd come down whenever if we pay his ticket ya digg? If every player in tx donated 5 bucks we could get him AND like drpp or shiz

And I knew you were gonna look at me, landon -_- I don't even know where to begin to look for a venue, if I did we would have had a bigger tourney scene a looong time ago

So I guess we have a texas wide tourney every three months then?

This is what pr should be based off of.

And if we make a pr, who wants to be panelists? Me, doh, broly, ?, ?, ? We need someon from err city chyeah

Houston calls not it on the first tourney! (Touches nose)

Jake13

Smash Lord
but would we just start completely fresh, everyone at the same point lvl till the end of this circuit? and we'd also need someone to keep track of everything and keep the tio files lol good luck my *****s

Kal

Smash Champion
No, the way it works is everyone starts at 1600 and you gain points by winning and lose points by losing. However, how much you gain and lose is determined by the score of the person you played.

Keeping track of everything isn't hard. You just email the person running the PR thread your tio files and he can update rankings.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
I think we would start with whatever data we have - the tio files for the Insane Triumphs, plus the Dallas and Houston tournaments?

And the list would be updated every tournament.

Sethlon; I'm not sure about that place...has anyone been there?

Grinin

Smash Journeyman
Oscar and I talked to m2k and he said he'd come down whenever if we pay his ticket ya digg? If every player in tx donated 5 bucks we could get him AND like drpp or shiz

And I knew you were gonna look at me, landon -_- I don't even know where to begin to look for a venue, if I did we would have had a bigger tourney scene a looong time ago

So I guess we have a texas wide tourney every three months then?

This is what pr should be based off of.

And if we make a pr, who wants to be panelists? Me, doh, broly, ?, ?, ? We need someon from err city chyeah

Houston calls not it on the first tourney! (Touches nose)
I'll chip in what I can for a good player fund. And we're going to host more fests like last time soon.

❀W.E.M.P.❀

Mote Of Dust
I just moved from Pittsburgh this summer to the North Houston area. The biggest difference I've seen is anyones ability to lend a hand if someone can't drive or isn't able to make it by themselves to said event. Maybe I am just a big softy, but up in yank territory we constantly car pull, give rides, etc. Of course gas money is involved but the reason we all did it was because we liked the company we had, it was bigger than melee in a way.

Now out here, having lost my vehicle, I am just alone, the saddest story ever told.

[/plug to get people to pick me up/drive to me/etc/etc/secretlovefordoh]

Turazrok

Smash Master
Enjoy that ban, little buddy.

So if I show up on sunday after buying my pass on friday when I get there how does this work :X

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
Why are Houston players so obsessed with me? First gabe, then mouf, now oscar and wemp?

Broly

Smash Lord
we SHOULD be back in houston around 5-6 pm. earlier if we are done by saturday.

This friday wed be leaving. its in Oklahoma, 6 hr drive from houston

❀W.E.M.P.❀

Mote Of Dust
back on sunday? damn..... that'd be workable if I had known like two days ago, but I have to be in at work by 5 pm. DAMMIT.

I'll try and see if I can ask my boss if I can come in around 7 to give me some more time to come. hmmmm

Broly

Smash Lord
like i said, if melee ends on saturday ill gurantee us coming back before 5pm. only issues would be whereto pick you up or drop you off.

NeoBatou

Smash Ace
I'll do my best to host some smashfests and tournaments for melee for the players around here. We still have a good amount of melee players who live in the area so getting them together can help revive melee in the Fort Worth and the surrounding areas including Dallas and Denton as well.

Top Bottom