• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Reviving Texas Melee

Broly

Smash Lord
Let Oh Snap be a catalyst to the games revival. i for one can see this scene getting a jumpstart, but we gotta work together. I am pretty much the one keeping the Valley together, so I know its hard. ITs and TYS are great starters and consistency is key. I believe best Valley city to throw a tourny is Kingsville since its 4 hrs for you guys and 2 for us. I'm willing to do anything possible to bring back Melee, starting with Oh Snap

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Jake, melee was never part of the line-up for whobo 1 or 2. I only said people could play it cause few asked for it but when the time came they didn't show so I cancelled it. It is 100% confirmed for whobo 3.

As for pound, don't tell me you forgot that event is a melee focused event. It's a venue that just has smash. Nothing else. Whobo is brawl focus with a side of melee AND anime. Also, this is a potential melee national IN your home state so it's far cheaper than you driving or flying for melee. So 45 bucks is a small fee.

Im not aiming this at you but in general, the current gen melee kids have become stuckup, bitter and lazy. We give you guys events every month at TYS and now at whobo 3 and y'all STILL find things to complain about. Unreal..........

Broly

Smash Lord
Its primarily because time brought change. Before, melee was everything. It had no competition, and people were forced to try it whether they sucked or not. Now Brawl came, and people dont have to be forced. they have an option of which game to try. Its an easy choice to pick Brawl because its more new and still developing. Melee peeps want to hang on to its glory days, but it takes time. I for one has tried both games and realized that Melee fits me better. I think it helps that TYS are associated with HOBO, but if you really want to revive melee, it has to seperate.

Xyro, i know that melee being on WHOBO's list is an amazing gesture, and I know the melee kids are very grateful, but look at it from our side. Ive gone to both Whobos. Sunday is the Aftermath of the event. it finishes around 3-4 get really dead from that point, and people traveling have school the next day. Are guranteeing that it will be open till 7-8pm? Are you running this, or is somebody else in charge? I am more than sure people will go, but maybe you can start melee either after Brawl Singles or Doubles. Sunday just seems bad to alot.

Xyro77

I think it helps that TYS are associated with HOBO, but if you really want to revive melee, it has to seperate.
So far not one of you have done so(not to say you guys are not able to). Im here to either bring it back or keep the sinking ship afloat for a bit longer. Its up to all of you, show up or dont.

Xyro, i know that melee being on WHOBO's list is an amazing gesture, and I know the melee kids are very grateful, but look at it from our side. Ive gone to both Whobos. Sunday is the Aftermath of the event. it finishes around 3-4 get really dead from that point, and people traveling have school the next day. Are guranteeing that it will be open till 7-8pm? Are you running this, or is somebody else in charge? I am more than sure people will go, but maybe you can start melee either after Brawl Singles or Doubles. Sunday just seems bad to alot.
Few things:

1. WHOBO 1 and 2 were on EASTER. So not only did people not wanna stay on Sunday but they had school the next day. WHOBO 3 is on SPRING BREAK(no school for 1-2 weeks) for a lot of people so clearly these weekends are different and bring a totally different situation. I have never once decided to officially add melee to the lineup but now i have so its GOING to happen.

2. Kinda related to #1. WHOBO 1 and 2 pretty much had nothing on sunday(whobo 1 had ISP but that doesnt count) because it was easter and people wanted to go home for that and the fact that school was the next day. WHOBO 3(since it is on spring break and most people wont have school on monday) will have melee from 11:30am till 7pm. Its 2 events and endless friendlies all day.

3. I will run melee(i will need doh or some one to help seed). You already know i can complete 3-4 slow *** brawl events in one day so it will be a piece of cake to complete 2 events of melee in one day.

All im saying is, here is a chance at a potential HUGE melee event on a spring break weekend(for most) that is in your HOME state. If you want the melee ship to stop sinking then its up to YOU(not you but you as in the players) to fix the leak. Whats funny is back in the melee days i used to worry about legit venues and not the players. But now, the venues are auto guaranteed its the players that are rare. This event will only be as good as you guys make it. So stop the gripe and begin the hype.

Player-4

See you in 25 years
I'll be keeping a close eye on this

So please don't turn this into a flame war or Brawl vs Melee

Things sorta seem to be on the right track but I've given you my warning and so has Zig

Carry on

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
Thats why i have lost all respect for the remaining few melee players. We give you events and you dont show/complain about pricing. WHOBO 3 is a brawl national that has the ability to bring 50+ melee players(m2k and Hbox are really interested in entering melee) and all you can do is complain? I give you an entire day devoted to melee ONLY and you complain?

You want to "revive" melee in tx, how about you cut the **** and start attending events

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=287843
Going to Whobo won't change much for the Melee scene. Whobo's success is dependent on the success of Brawl, not the success of Melee. At the end of the day, you could care less about how Melee fares in the tournament, and that's why Melee players aren't very thrilled about it. Texas Melee won't survive if it's treated like some secondary endeavor. That condescending tone that you don all the time on when you talk about Melee doesn't help. The whole idea of "We give you tournaments and all you do is complain." Who is "we"? Brawl TO's? The Melee scene doesn't need Brawl TOs planning its tournaments, it can never grow like that, especially when the TOs are people like you who are already predisposed to think that Melee is no longer important. Melee players need Melee TOs. Melee won't thrive as it should if it's under the wing of Brawl organizers.

This isn't ingratefulness, as Melee players really SHOULD go to Whobo's tournament, but your idea that Whobo can initiate the revival of Melee is dead wrong.

Broly

Smash Lord
Lets just give whobo a chance, we are not looking for an immediate revival. Im done arguing because theres no point. Work with what people give us, and sustain a sense of consistency.

Xyro77

Going to Whobo won't change much for the Melee scene. Whobo's success is dependent on the success of Brawl, not the success of Melee. At the end of the day, you could care less about how Melee fares in the tournament, and that's why Melee players aren't very thrilled about it. Texas Melee won't survive if it's treated like some secondary endeavor. That condescending tone that you don all the time on when you talk about Melee doesn't help. The whole idea of "We give you tournaments and all you do is complain." Who is "we"? Brawl TO's? The Melee scene doesn't need Brawl TOs planning its tournaments, it can never grow like that, especially when the TOs are people like you who are already predisposed to think that Melee is no longer important. Melee players need Melee TOs. Melee won't thrive as it should if it's under the wing of Brawl organizers.

This isn't ingratefulness, as Melee players really SHOULD go to Whobo's tournament, but your idea that Whobo can initiate the revival of Melee is dead wrong.
Ah so your one of those purists. "Melee can only be ran by melee TOs if melee is expected to grow." Not only is that WRONG its just ********. When your ship is sinking you dont have the liberty to be picky about who is trying to help you.

Do you know who i am? I single handedly created one of the best cities in the USA when it comes to brawl due to my passion for constantly running quality events. I also created the longest running tournament series in SMASH HISTORY: the HOBO series. As for melee, I was the ONLY tournament organizer in this city who kept on hosting/running melee events back in the day. My events gave rise to legends like sethlon/sideEffect/royr/gabe.....ect. Sadly, i am also the one that ended the houston melee scene the moment i switch over to brawl. I sometimes feel bad about it so maybe this can be my chance to try and fix it. maybe......

Anyways.......

Do you really think i cant turn this around/create an event that could potentially spur up some melee interest? Let me help you.......I CAN.The venue/reasources are there for you I just need you kids to accept the fact that melee IS a side event in most of the country(dont deny it its just the way it is). That can easily change here in texas but you need to support what events you can when they show up.

Whether i caused this whole hee-haw or not doesnt matter. Do you like melee? Do you want melee to continue in w/e fashion its in or do you want it to grow? Obviously you like it and you want it to grow so i need yall to support every melee event you can. Thats what we do in brawl its one of the reasons why things are working so well for us.

PS: its also amazing to me how you guys jump out and bash me/whobo/brawl but dont offer other ideas. Your only idea is "im not going." This attitude+laziness is eating away at what little melee has left. By and by there will be none at all and you will only have yourself to blame.

po pimpus

Smash Ace
I'm not from Texas, but I have a long standing 'friendly rivalry' with you guys since I'm from the state just north of yours. You wanna revive your Melee scene? Simple answer to that- PLAY MELEE! Travel to tournaments in that oversized, bigger-than-most-European-countries state of yours, and SHOW people why this game is great.
Get hype, talk ****, HAVE FUN, and save your scene, one event at a time. Also, you boys could come kick it with us up here in the OK this weekend... We've only been talking about it for like 2-3 months...

Peace out,

Your friendly neighborhood Po Pimpus, deliverer of Shoryukens :)

NeoBatou

Smash Ace
We should just stick to what we know and work together on this. It's not as hard or difficult as people think it could be.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
Ah so your one of those purists. "Melee can only be ran by melee TOs if melee is expected to grow." Not only is that WRONG its just ********. When your ship is sinking you dont have the liberty to be picky about who is trying to help you.
Would you like to follow up with an argument for how I am wrong about that? Because I'm not gonna take it just because it came out of your mouth. Besides I'm making more reference to you personally when it comes to TOs because I know that you are one of the major TOs in Texas and I know that you don't give a damn about Melee. Melee certainly won't grow if you try to run it, because you just don't care about it, and if other TOs are like you, which is the impression I've gotten about Texas in general, then Melee won't grow at all.

Do you know who i am? I single handedly created one of the best cities in the USA when it comes to brawl due to my passion for constantly running quality events. I also created the longest running tournament series in SMASH HISTORY: the HOBO series. As for melee, I was the ONLY tournament organizer in this city who kept on hosting/running melee events back in the day. My events gave rise to legends like sethlon/sideEffect/royr/gabe.....ect. Sadly, i am also the one that ended the houston melee scene the moment i switch over to brawl. I sometimes feel bad about it so maybe this can be my chance to try and fix it. maybe......
Yes, I know exactly who you are. You're a prominent TO in Texas. Congrats for you. But I also know that you hold no regard whatsoever for the game itself and would even drop Brawl the moment a new SSB comes out. I learned that after that big topic you made on gamefaqs begging the Melee board to jump off the "sinking ship." Your fickle attitude prevents you from being good for the Melee scene. You're the perfect TO for Brawl, because Brawl is the newest game out, but when the next SSB comes out you'll drop it as fast as you did for Melee, and then you'll single handedly end the Houston Brawl community and abandon them for the next game. You don't care about Melee, and I'm sure that you don't really care about Brawl, you only care about what everyone is playing and you'll jump the bandwagon whenever you see fit. Sure you hold a lot of power to help Melee substantially, but you've gotta actually care about Melee to help it out. But you treat Melee like it's something whose fate has already been decided, and wouldn't go that extra mile to help Melee recover because you think it's gonna die soon anyway. But you're wrong, games like SF2 and 3, GG, and MvC have survived years of aging, even with new games coming out, and they haven't sunk. The reason why they are still alive is because they have a community of people who are passionate about the game itself, and you are certainly not that kind of person.

Do you really think i cant turn this around/create an event that could potentially spur up some melee interest? Let me help you.......I CAN.The venue/reasources are there for you I just need you kids to accept the fact that melee IS a side event in most of the country(dont deny it its just the way it is). That can easily change here in texas but you need to support what events you can when they show up.
No, I don't think you can turn this around. I've already explained why in the previous paragraph. Your constant instance that Melee HAS to be a side event is exactly why you can't turn this around. I live in Louisiana, and Melee is just as strong there as Brawl is. At tournaments, Melee and Brawl are treated with equal importance, and they tend to be pretty successful. But apparently, it doesn't work like that in Texas. So if Texas Melee wants to grow, then Texas Melee players (or someone who cares about Melee and wants to see it grow) need to step up and hold a tournament.

Whether i caused this whole hee-haw or not doesnt matter. Do you like melee? Do you want melee to continue in w/e fashion its in or do you want it to grow? Obviously you like it and you want it to grow so i need yall to support every melee event you can. Thats what we do in brawl its one of the reasons why things are working so well for us.
Which is why I said that Melee players should attend Whobo.

PS: its also amazing to me how you guys jump out and bash me/whobo/brawl but dont offer other ideas. Your only idea is "im not going." This attitude+laziness is eating away at what little melee has left. By and by there will be none at all and you will only have yourself to blame.
You're right,but I think that's why DoH made this thread in the first place. I offered my suggestion. Simply: Melee TOs need to host Melee tournaments.

Grinin

Smash Journeyman
It'd be cool, if Melee entrants at whobo are high enough, to have pools/crews Saturday then singles and doubles bracket on Sunday. I'll save my dimes and drop the 45 bucks if enough people show, I'd love to meet some of the top players you mentioned who are interested in coming. The issue is that, at the moment, there isn't enough hype for melee as it's own event at whobo. I know i have very little sway over what happens, but it would be nice if we could get the word out there and get more players to travel down and get a quality event. Hell, even just adding the Brawl & MELEE tag to the whobo thread could help as a start... but as it is now melee is not getting enough exposure to draw a large player pool at whobo.

UltimateHaxor123

Smash Apprentice
@murarengan
i really don't see how having melee TO's would help revive melee any more than brawl TO's hosting melee. As long as they advertise the tourney (e.g. posting a thread on smashboards) run the tourney without stupid **** happening, and post the results, its the exact same as if melee TO's were hosting the tourney. And Xyro is on the right track. Melee is dying because PLAYERS are too lazy to attend tourneys/have lost interest. It doesn't matter if melee is treated as a side event as long as the tourney happens and gets the time/resources needed to complete the tourney. What you said about melee being a side event causing players not wanting to go would only be true if thye pushed it back until the very end or cut short the amount of TV's/wii's.

@xyro
we appreciate you holding this tourney (seriously) but for someone like me who is from dallas, driving 4-5hrs down to houston (about 8-10 hrs round trip), paying 50+ dollars, for a few hrs of melee makes us a little hesitant about attending. But yea, you are right about texas melee players needing to STEP IT UP. I guess part of the reason is the lack of transportation options in TX. i know in the north east they have subways and in cali they have regular buses. But in texas, a car is the only real way to get around. but NO JOHNS guys.

Xyro77

Would you like to follow up with an argument for how I am wrong about that? Because I'm not gonna take it just because it came out of your mouth. Besides I'm making more reference to you personally when it comes to TOs because I know that you are one of the major TOs in Texas and I know that you don't give a damn about Melee. Melee certainly won't grow if you try to run it, because you just don't care about it, and if other TOs are like you, which is the impression I've gotten about Texas in general, then Melee won't grow at all.

Yes, I know exactly who you are. You're a prominent TO in Texas. Congrats for you. But I also know that you hold no regard whatsoever for the game itself and would even drop Brawl the moment a new SSB comes out. I learned that after that big topic you made on gamefaqs begging the Melee board to jump off the "sinking ship." Your fickle attitude prevents you from being good for the Melee scene. You're the perfect TO for Brawl, because Brawl is the newest game out, but when the next SSB comes out you'll drop it as fast as you did for Melee, and then you'll single handedly end the Houston Brawl community and abandon them for the next game. You don't care about Melee, and I'm sure that you don't really care about Brawl, you only care about what everyone is playing and you'll jump the bandwagon whenever you see fit. Sure you hold a lot of power to help Melee substantially, but you've gotta actually care about Melee to help it out. But you treat Melee like it's something whose fate has already been decided, and wouldn't go that extra mile to help Melee recover because you think it's gonna die soon anyway. But you're wrong, games like SF2 and 3, GG, and MvC have survived years of aging, even with new games coming out, and they haven't sunk. The reason why they are still alive is because they have a community of people who are passionate about the game itself, and you are certainly not that kind of person.

No, I don't think you can turn this around. I've already explained why in the previous paragraph. Your constant instance that Melee HAS to be a side event is exactly why you can't turn this around. I live in Louisiana, and Melee is just as strong there as Brawl is. At tournaments, Melee and Brawl are treated with equal importance, and they tend to be pretty successful. But apparently, it doesn't work like that in Texas. So if Texas Melee wants to grow, then Texas Melee players (or someone who cares about Melee and wants to see it grow) need to step up and hold a tournament.

Which is why I said that Melee players should attend Whobo.

You're right,but I think that's why DoH made this thread in the first place. I offered my suggestion. Simply: Melee TOs need to host Melee tournaments.

So you read a post on GAMEFAQS and SWF and think i dont care about melee or its scene? Normally i would laugh and call you a poop face but i can understand why you think that. After all, its all you can go by since you dont see me enough to know who i am as a person. To be very honest, up until a few hobos ago i really didnt care about melee, Its a sinking ship with pirates willing to drown. Things have changed since then. I realized i had a power(TOing) that really affected tx and when i decided to move on to brawl it literally 1-hit-KOed tx melee scene. I feel bad for that major mistake and i would like to attempt to fix it. WHOBO 3 is that chance.

Now, lets address this "only a melee TO can bring back melee." As it stands now, Tx does not have a major TO when it comes to melee. Melee events happen when one person finally gets of his/her *** and gets to work and that is literally once in a blue moon. In short, your idea has not happened for 2 years 10 months here in tx. Combine that with the fact that most players wont trave to existing events so in reality i dont your idea will happen any time soon. But now take me, i have a urge to support melee untill someone else replaces me, i have a venue and my have the "status" that bring people to them. BTW, no tx melee TO has ANY of that^

Now lets address louisiana cause i feel that you are trying to compare apples to oranges. Melee and brawl have equal turn out in La because BOTH scenes are super small so its not that hard to equal each other. Dont make it seem like louisiana has something no other states dont.

Addressing WHOBO and its "side event" melee. WHOBO is brawl first because its a brawl national. Its only natural you cater to the game that 100000000x bigger. Im sorry but when ISP brawl and Low tier brawl and Soul Calibur 4 have higher turnout that most Tx melee events...........its easy to see why we consider melee a side event. Had the tx melee players stopped being bitter/lazy/complaining....things could/can change. I already told you guys that melee at whobo will be treated like brawl when it comes to space/set-ups and TOing. All set-ups that are there will be turned into melee set-ups(even my 3 brawl set-ups will become melee). You have from 11:30am(assuming the typically late melee player will be on time) till 7pm to do 2 events and friendlies.

You want change? Go to events that have melee and PROVE that you are bigger than a side event.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
ok guys stop being stupid.

Xyro isn't TELLING all of you to come down to Houston for $50 or whatever. He did it to encourage the game and try to revive the scene. He is actually stepping up and hosting melee for once and then ya'll whine and complain in a "Reviving Melee" thread.

That's not how it works, maybe if a large amount of people DO drive the 5+ hours or whatever they will remember how great the game is and try to revive it.

This is a give a little, gain alot opportunity.

edit: ninja'd by Xyro.

Xyro77

It'd be cool, if Melee entrants at whobo are high enough, to have pools/crews Saturday then singles and doubles bracket on Sunday. I'll save my dimes and drop the 45 bucks if enough people show, I'd love to meet some of the top players you mentioned who are interested in coming. The issue is that, at the moment, there isn't enough hype for melee as it's own event at whobo. I know i have very little sway over what happens, but it would be nice if we could get the word out there and get more players to travel down and get a quality event. Hell, even just adding the Brawl & MELEE tag to the whobo thread could help as a start... but as it is now melee is not getting enough exposure to draw a large player pool at whobo.
Read the whobo title and the front page. Melee is mentioned and has its own section for rules and fees. i have also told m2k who has for sure told people. i have also posted the whobo 3 on FB to over 50 people. Trust me, the word is out there but nothing ill happen if you guys dont post and help hype. Stop being lazy and tell your friends. Dont rely just on the TO. If you care about this game and its growth you will attend this at all cost because its not just a simple TYS its a WHOBO.

Savon

Smash Ace
Why not use WHOBO as a catalyst to revive the melee scene in Texas? Sometimes you just need that one small spark to create a huge raging fire. Why not use WHOBO as the stepping stone to the revival? It is not necessarily about having a melee only tournament, just a big Melee tournament as a whole.

*does not even play Melee* I just like Smash

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
As the only ACTIVE melee player in San Antonio and resident tournament organizer, I just need to remind people that San Antonio is utterly dead for Melee. Brawl pretty much took over, and the melee players either quit or converted.

I gave Brawl a solid 3 months chance in 2009, and after 3 months of only playing Brawl, I played Melee again and wondered what the hell was I thinking? Here's a game where I can actually move, where I have options, where a mistake can cost me a lot so I can't be lazy.

That said, I still play Melee whenever I get the chance. The only reason I haven't organized a big Melee event in San Antonio since 2010's Final Smash 8 is because the attendance was 90 percent out of towners.

I'm all for reviving the scene, but I can't really get San Antonio revived. I've tried far too many times with multiple events, and I will be lucky to even hit 10 players.

The_Smash_Champ

Banned via Warnings
Too many maybes, most people now dont care about what you did in the past. All the players you mention were good players from before, i havent seen sideeffect for over 2 years, sethlon saw him at IT1 like over half a year ago, gabe just stopped playing (and moved away), and royr has pretty much proved that brawl sucked all his melee skills. In the end everything you did for melee is actually gone.

Also we dont really care about what you did for brawl, i would actually be impressed if you were a gran TO for an actual competitive game and not my little pony i mean brawl. No offense but melee and brawl can never be bunched up together in houston because of YOU.

And we dont need melee revival threads because if you havent noticed, melee has so many new players coming in, eventually a new Melee TO will appear, who knows, there might be "a new" UH TO =D :awesome:

As the only ACTIVE melee player in San Antonio and resident tournament organizer, I just need to remind people that San Antonio is utterly dead for Melee. Brawl pretty much took over, and the melee players either quit or converted.

I gave Brawl a solid 3 months chance in 2009, and after 3 months of only playing Brawl, I played Melee again and wondered what the hell was I thinking? Here's a game where I can actually move, where I have options, where a mistake can cost me a lot so I can't be lazy.

That said, I still play Melee whenever I get the chance. The only reason I haven't organized a big Melee event in San Antonio since 2010's Final Smash 8 is because the attendance was 90 percent out of towners.

I'm all for reviving the scene, but I can't really get San Antonio revived. I've tried far too many times with multiple events, and I will be lucky to even hit 10 players.
last weeks tys had 20 melee players, thats the biggest ive ever seen it.
its growing in houston.

Xyro77

Too many maybes, most people now dont care about what you did in the past. All the players you mention were good players from before, i havent seen sideeffect for over 2 years, sethlon saw him at IT1 like over half a year ago, gabe just stopped playing (and moved away), and royr has pretty much proved that brawl sucked all his melee skills. In the end everything you did for melee is actually gone.

Also we dont really care about what you did for brawl, i would actually be impressed if you were a gran TO for an actual competitive game and not my little pony i mean brawl. No offense but melee and brawl can never be bunched up together in houston because of YOU.

And we dont need melee revival threads because if you havent noticed, melee has so many new players coming in, eventually a new Melee TO will appear, who knows, there might be "a new" UH TO =D :awesome:

last weeks tys had 20 melee players, thats the biggest ive ever seen it.
its growing in houston.

perfect example of a melee player being bitter

*ignores*

Why not use WHOBO as a catalyst to revive the melee scene in Texas? Sometimes you just need that one small spark to create a huge raging fire. Why not use WHOBO as the stepping stone to the revival? It is not necessarily about having a melee only tournament, just a big Melee tournament as a whole.

*does not even play Melee* I just like Smash
BOOM!!!!!! READ THIS ****!!!!

This is exactly what i hope to accomplish.

Savon

Smash Ace
Seriously though. The smash community is WAY too splintered. Why do we spend so much time trying to undermine one another rather than do what is best for the series as a whole? We should be giving our hate to our real enemies....the Madden players....

defsithe

Smash Ace
All these posts look like wall of texts on a iPod. I'll post my thoughts when I get to my laptop.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
BOOM!!!!!! READ THIS ****!!!!

This is exactly what i hope to accomplish.
You can make the promises you want, but at the end of the day, I have no faith in you because you have no faith in Melee. I'm not gonna just all of a sudden believe that you have sincere feelings about Melee when for years you've been calling it a sinking ship and abandoned the scene that needed you. You haven't convinced me that you're any different, and I wouldn't trust a Melee revival to you because you're very likely to just give up. I'd much rather trust a Melee player, someone who is actually passionate about the game and doesn't think it's a sinking ship, try to bring it back. The issue is getting someone to step up.

Seriously though. The smash community is WAY too splintered. Why do we spend so much time trying to undermine one another rather than do what is best for the series as a whole? We should be giving our hate to our real enemies....the Madden players....
Read the OP. DoH quoted someone from the SBR. The reason the community doesn't get along is because both sides think it's better to kill the other. According to M3D the best move for SWF, which is virtually the entire world of Smash, is to kill Melee, and that will never happen without a fight.

NeoBatou

Smash Ace
See this is why the community can't just do both at the same time.
Let's just settle down people. We can settle this like gentlemen and fellow smashers.

Stubbornness and dwelling in the past hurts everybody in the end.
Let's just cut the bad ties....and start off with a positive note.
Any TO can host a tournament with the right help from EVERYONE.
You gotta give people a chance. You might like the results.

Just do both at WHOBO, see how that goes...if we just work together instead of trying to overthrow each other for the top spot, we can make ample progress and help melee get back into the scene.

Xyro77

You can make the promises you want, but at the end of the day, I have no faith in you because you have no faith in Melee. I'm not gonna just all of a sudden believe that you have sincere feelings about Melee when for years you've been calling it a sinking ship and abandoned the scene that needed you. You haven't convinced me that you're any different, and I wouldn't trust a Melee revival to you because you're very likely to just give up. I'd much rather trust a Melee player, someone who is actually passionate about the game and doesn't think it's a sinking ship, try to bring it back. The issue is getting someone to step up.
Dude if you dont trust me thats fine. While you wait for your "savior" the gallons continue o fill the ship. Im gonna go ahead and do my thing by holding melee at whobo. I hope you will be at whobo.....assuming you still care about melee.

Read the OP. DoH quoted someone from the SBR. The reason the community doesn't get along is because both sides think it's better to kill the other. According to M3D the best move for SWF, which is virtually the entire world of Smash, is to kill Melee, and that will never happen without a fight.
Hes reasoning for "killing melee" runs much deeper than the words he used in his post. Its hard to explain without starting a war so im not gonna bother. All i can say is, what you read isnt all that was meant to be understood. There is much more.

UltimateHaxor123

Smash Apprentice
This is so stupid. All we do is complain we have no tourneys to go to or say that someone like xyro isnt' qualified to be a melee TO but i dont' see anyone else stepping up. In short, xyro has done more than most of u guys so stfu.

on a side note i get the feeling that this thread has deviated from its original purpose. We're supposed to be discussing how we can revive the texas melee scene, not debate why it has died or whether someone has the credentials to bring it back

The_Smash_Champ

Banned via Warnings

I really like this guy, perfectly describes how the melee community feels. The sinking ship analogy isnt really working out... its 2011and brawl is almost 3 years old and it still cant get rid of melee. I think Brawl is the sinking ship here bro, a very scrubby annoying sinking ship...

This is so stupid. All we do is complain we have no tourneys to go to or say that someone like xyro isnt' qualified to be a melee TO but i dont' see anyone else stepping up. In short, xyro has done more than most of u guys so stfu.

on a side note i get the feeling that this thread has deviated from its original purpose. We're supposed to be discussing how we can revive the texas melee scene, not debate why it has died or whether someone has the credentials to bring it back
Xyro has done more for what? brawl?
technicly bashing at brawl revives melee, i really cant believe yal like brawl, its soooooo sad XD how can you not see its a horrible game?

i hate to say this but.............

Brawl sucks

Xyro77

I really like this guy, perfectly describes how the melee community feels. The sinking ship analogy isnt really working out... its 2011and brawl is almost 3 years old and it still cant get rid of melee. I think Brawl is the sinking ship here bro, a very scrubby annoying sinking ship...
Please stop or you will get another 2 point infraction. Brawl has never tried to kill melee. Thats just ********. People have quit or they have moved on. Its simple. instead of siding with people how about you attend and support events that host the game you love sooo much.

Savon

Smash Ace
Who cares if M3D thinks that it is necessary to kill melee? That is just one person. Hell, even if it was multiple people, that does not make it true. The communities are way too hostile between one another. Xyro has every right to feel that Melee is a sinking ship for good reason, but it still does not change that fact that it does not hurt to go to every large Melee tournament there is going to be. From what I have seen in this thread WHOBO is the best place to start.

Melee can easily be a large thriving community without being at war with Brawl. Xyro does not have to have faith in melee in order to be a good TO for the game, especially considering how there is nobody else in Texas to begin with. Regardless of whether I love melee or hate everything about it, a TO is a TO.
There is no good reason NOT to attend WHOBO as a Melee player in Texas considering the state of the Texas scene from what I have seen. You have to start somewhere. The constant gangwar between Melee and Brawl is totally uncalled for and easily avoidable.

Xyro77

Oh btw, i have a treat for you melee kids who go to whobo. Since melee is ONLY on sunday, you can buy the SUNDAY ONLY pass. Its 25$ instead of the normal 45-55 that the brawl kids have to pay

NeoBatou

Smash Ace
Who cares if M3D thinks that it is necessary to kill melee? That is just one person. Hell, even if it was multiple people, that does not make it true. The communities are way too hostile between one another. Xyro has every right to feel that Melee is a sinking ship for good reason, but it still does not change that fact that it does not hurt to go to every large Melee tournament there is going to be. From what I have seen in this thread WHOBO is the best place to start.

Melee can easily be a large thriving community without being at war with Brawl. Xyro does not have to have faith in melee in order to be a good TO for the game, especially considering how there is nobody else in Texas to begin with. Regardless of whether I love melee or hate everything about it, a TO is a TO.
There is no good reason NOT to attend WHOBO as a Melee player in Texas considering the state of the Texas scene from what I have seen. You have to start somewhere. The constant gangwar between Melee and Brawl is totally uncalled for and easily avoidable.
With that said, let's see how WHOBO goes....the revival starts there....unless someone else want to get another venue and start a melee tournament/smashfest before WHOBO, be our guests. It'll help a lot.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Smash Champ, do you not read posts at all? Both P4 and I warned everyone to not start a mindless flame war. One more strike, and you're out.

To everyone else: Chill out, or this topic gets locked.

Player-4

See you in 25 years
Seriously stop, you're acting like a child. So stop insulting Brawl, it's scene, it's TOs, all of it. That's not what this thread is about. Either say something constructive or get the **** out. Melee needs to grow, this is what most Melee players want and what D'oh is trying to do with this topic. Your bitter little comments about Brawl aren't helping your scene or your cause to get Melee back on the right track.

Whether Xyro cares about Melee is irrelevant, he's giving you guys a boost here with there being a Melee event at Whobo, which hasn't been done before and something he doesn't have to do. I honestly don't think Xyro is the ideal Melee TO for you guys, you need someone who cares about the game more than he does, but he is giving you guys a good jump start (something I never thought I'd see). So take what you can get instead of whining about what you're not getting. Beggars can't be choosers.

The_Smash_Champ

Banned via Warnings
Smash Champ, do you not read posts at all? Both P4 and I warned everyone to not start a mindless flame war. One more strike, and you're out.

To everyone else: Chill out, or this topic gets locked.
Brawl sucks

UltimateHaxor123

Smash Apprentice
Xyro has done more for what? brawl?
technicly bashing at brawl revives melee, i really cant believe yal like brawl, its soooooo sad XD how can you not see its a horrible game?

i hate to say this but.............

Brawl sucks
uh, he's only hosting a melee tourney. its nbd, not like i see anyone else doing that. but apparently its ok to bash him because he's not dedicated to melee and bothers hosting a melee tourney >.>

plus i'm strictly a melee player, i don't play brawl because i dont' like the game. However, this has nothing to do with its community. It's not like the brawl community goes out and actively tries to recruit melee players into playing brawl. The loss of texas melee can only be blamed on the players.

plus ur a ****** for trying to turn this into a brawl vs melee thread

The_Smash_Champ

Banned via Warnings
uh, he's only hosting a melee tourney. its nbd, not like i see anyone else doing that. but apparently its ok to bash him because he's not dedicated to melee and bothers hosting a melee tourney >.>

plus i'm strictly a melee player, i don't play brawl because i dont' like the game. However, this has nothing to do with its community. It's not like the brawl community goes out and actively tries to recruit melee players into playing brawl. The loss of texas melee can only be blamed on the players.

plus ur a ****** for trying to turn this into a brawl vs melee thread
Melee already won lmao, but that bad game brawl just keeps coming back.

oh and brawl sucks

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
By the way guys... you can get a day pass for WHOBO for Sunday (Melee day) for only 25 bucks. I pointed this out to Xyro, so he should get around to updating the WHOBO 3 thread.

And I've paid 25 door fees for one day events (Street Fighter), stop whining smash community. You seriously always get it too cheap here in Texas. Like Xyro said, this will be cheaper then flying to Pound 5. FS8's attendance was hurt because I had a 12 dollar door fee. $12! for a super swank venue too.

Top Bottom