• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Recovery Tier List

mood4food77

Smash Hero
oh, wow...never realized that

but i still think DK has better recovery than sheik, he can travel A LOT farther than sheik can, sheik's jump is also much more vertical

also take into effect that horizontal recovery takes a greater weight into factoring than vertical recovery, since most of the time a character is recovering from the sides and not below the stage

petre

Smash Lord
closest to Sterling Heights, MI on your wii foreca
it's really close from anyone below mario, they're practically tied at taht point, they all suck at recovering
hahaha! well just put all the bottom people as 'tied for crap recovery'...then we wont have to argue about who's worse...

oh and i think dk's recovery is better than sheik's, if anyone is still worried about that debate...the distance alone is enough to make it better.

Magus420

Smash Master
In the extra distance DK gets he also is easier to be hit out of it at that part of the move. Sheik has much better sweetspot options with the double-jump and up-b. DK can get a good sweetspot on the up-b, but it's very obvious when going for it. Sheik also has some extra defense off stage with f-air. Another thing people don't often realize is that just about any move people can get on Sheik during the lag after they land on the stage can be teched to rather high damages. It's kind of obvious you'll be hit then so it isn't tough to set up a double stick tech.

Marth is definitely too low on the list imo. Bowser being higher than Marth is kind of ridiculous if you ask me. In the right hands he is very tough to edgeguard, since with good DI he'll be able to mix up his recovery very well once they get close to the stage. Same with Sheik but less so.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
i don't find marth to be that hard to edgegaurd

out of all the low tier recoveries, i consider sheik the hardest to edgegaurd, but her up b range is crap, and it doesn't ride the side of the wall

i see your point with marth, i'll move him up above bowser, and maybe even sheik too, in the next update, but i'll do more than just that

i might move kirby up to 10th, where link is, agree or no?

mood4food77

Smash Hero
i'm counting it the least, so it doesn't really effect placement much

it's more like, the character's recovery is able to make him/her/it able to survive longer than it should, it'll make it better, like jiggs wasn't supposed to survive to 100%, but her recovery allows her to (along with DI of course, but she is still able to make it back to the stage)

i think a little more clarifying would be like DK, no character was supposed to be able to survive a semi-strong hit (peach's bair) and still be able to recover, at 150% (i did it with DK on dreamland..i got hit around the middle...but still made it back)

B-Will

BRoomer
BRoomer
Are you basing this tier list at all on predictability? What I mean is the ability to be edgeguarded easily?

If so, ganon and G&W are way to high. Yes, ganon can make it back from pretty much anywhere with good DI but what good is the DI and his infinite jumps if he is going to be hit back off the stage anyways? Sure, ledgetech is good and everything but is kind of situational. Same with G&W, his DI from a hit is amazing and that makes up for his lack of horizontal recovery...but I find his recovery to be predictable.
Disregard this if you aren't basing the tier list on the ability to be edgeguarded.

Also, marth is too low; in my opinion, his recovery is pretty versatile and like G&W, his ability to DI a hit is great. I also think sheik is too low because of its versatility (her ability to sweet spot the edge with great easy, needles to hit edgeguarders, fair to slap away edgeguarders, and she actually gets pretty good distance from her up b)...however I hate her landing lag so I don't think she should move too much higher.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Also, marth is too low; in my opinion, his recovery is pretty versatile and like G&W, his ability to DI a hit is great. I also think sheik is too low because of its versatility (her ability to sweet spot the edge with great easy, needles to hit edgeguarders, fair to slap away edgeguarders, and she actually gets pretty good distance from her up b)...however I hate her landing lag so I don't think she should move too much higher.
Can i ask a question about Marth's recovery... if it hits correctly can it spike the opponent? If so i agree it's way too low, otherwise i think its still to predictable.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
yes ganon is easy to edgegaurd, but he can still come back, him and falcon have the least amount of stun time, lets take one of them against fox, it usually takes fox 2 shines at most to kill an opponent, but on ganon and falcon, it can sometimes take up to 6 or 7 times before ganon is officially unable to make it back, and also, do remember that ganon's up b is a grab, so it's priority is the same as a grab, if the opponent is in reach, he grabs, but if the opponent hits you before (after) it comes out or not in range, you'll get hit, yes he's easy to edgegaurd, but he can come back again and again, only true spikes can certify an edgegaurd kill, or if he's at a high percent

g&w, yea his recovery is predictable, but he's harder to edgegaurd than marth, his up b has insane priority (almost as much as the marios up b), it's fast, he has god hands, and it's the 3rd longest vertical recovery move in the game (ICs up b and forward b are teh longest vertical), yea i'm kinda thinking he's up too high also

sheik, i hate her recovery, always did, her jump is too vertical and her up b is one of the shortest recovery moves in the game (in terms of length), and she can't instantly grab the ledge from it like most characters can, and if she misses the ledge and lands on the stage, she's done (one of her 2 moves with a lot of lag), her airdodge is also short distance wise so that doesn't help much either, and she can't ride teh side of stages

marth, he's probably too low, i'll probably make him a little under g&w because he's easier to edgegaurd than g&w (slightly)

i'm probably just going to redo the middle tiers

i lied, i'll post my next update right here, tell me what you think

High Tier
--7. Ice Climbers
--8. Ganondorf
--9. Kirby

Middle Tier
--10. Link
--11. Young Link
--12. Mr. Game & Watch
--13. Marth
--14. Fox
--15. Ness
--16. Zelda

Low Tier
--16. Yoshi
--17. Sheik
--18. Donkey Kong
--19. Bowser
--20. Luigi

Silver Sytos

Smash Apprentice
Shiek should be rated higher. It is really hard to edgeguard a good shiek player because there are so many aspects to her up b. >.>

Timotee

Smash Journeyman
I think you should roll an 8 sided die, and if it comes up 8, luigi should move up a spot or two.

shadydentist

Smash Lord
Fox is too low. Although firefox is slow, it has very long range and the ability to control where you go. Therefore, it is far less predictable than Marth's recovery, as well as having a longer range.

cradmazy_SKAG

Smash Ace
hey mood4food, are u going to CAT3 by any chance???

if so, i need to play u with link so u understand how good his freaking recovery is because you obviously have no clue.

pdk

Smash Lord
Shiek should be rated higher. It is really hard to edgeguard a good shiek player because there are so many aspects to her up b. >.>
and one of those aspects is short range meaning you can just wait and poke her no matter where she goes

mario-man

Smash Lord
This is all screwed up!!! Luigi has a great recovery as long as he is higher than the level of the stage. Plus, Mario is a little better than what you have listed. I main Mario, and I dont have that much of a problem with recovery!!!

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
he is predicable.

ok...does rising grapple give more hight than noraml grapple? i mean to grapple the side of the stage.

mario-man

Smash Lord
Yeah, Gonon's recovery is absolute junk. Fox has a better recovery than Ganon for sure son!!!

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
Yeah, Gonon's recovery is absolute junk. Fox has a better recovery than Ganon for sure son!!!
Ganon can come back a ridiculously long way, but he is predictable and easy to edgeguard so it doesn't really matter. In my opinion he should be lower.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Gano can gain infinite jumps FYI, Fox cant. Fox = predictable, edgeguardable, low priority, fall fast. Gannon is fall slow, infinite jumps with Down B, and a decent Up B.

Corigames

Smash Hero
I love how all of these "_____ Tier List"'s turn into popularity contests. Let me try:
Roy's recovery should be higher because it is hard to hit him when he is >B or <B ing.

Does it make any sense? No, but it would seem logical if I mained him or something.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
sorry for being away for like, a month, a lot of stuff came up, jsut found out i'm going to nationals for track, so anyways

yea, i put ganon way too high, but he's about as good as fox, only a little higher i'll keep him cause his recovery is better, fox is almost as easily edgegaurded, but his recovery is not as good as ganon's

and yes, TNR fo life, sorry i couldn't go to the tournament, didn't have a ride...and something personal came up

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Why are ICs so high? When using up-B to recover, Nana is left completely open and also sweetspotting isn't really possible. With forward-B, sweetspotting isn't possible at all, and they can't even grab the ledge well. All the opponent needs to do to edgeguard ICs is wait and see what they do, walk over to where they land, and attack.

Top Bottom