• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Recovery Tier List

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
This is a myth. It does not do anything for his recovery besides stall. It might 'feel' like it actually helps but it does not.
lol I've been wasting my time using Shine to Phantasm when I could've just Phantsam'd, who knew. I know it doesn't slow momentum but his trajectory definitely seems to change a bit. It feels easier when I shine. I guess it's just an illusion (no pun intended)

56K: so you're from MN, but you have a Packers sig? Huh?
I'm not from MN, I just live here ;) I'm a Chicagoan, and a Wisconsinite before that.

Magus420

Smash Master
I know it doesn't slow momentum but his trajectory definitely seems to change a bit.
This is because you get boosted up vertically when you do based on the amount of vertical knockback you received. Since you gain some upward movement it appears to be helping but you also get some/all of this boost by DJing, f-bing, u-bing, airdodging, and maybe others depending on the char. It's a lot more obvious when you shine since it doesn't move you by using it. If you use it to gain more than a DJ for example tho, what you gain in vertical height is negated by the air control/DJ horizontal momentum you sacrificed and is balanced out by your falling speed by the time you match that momentum. Basically it delays your recovery only to get to the same spot in the end, and an immediate DJ/fullshine->DJ/quickshine->DJ work out to the same exact distance covered just in different amts of time.

Something neat you can do to really see the 'boost' you get is to go on Corneria in training mode in 1/4x spd and DI a strong diagonal hit into the slope of the fin while ontop going towards the right and tech roll it (shield break makes it easy to do the tech w/out shielding) at super high dmg. If you shine/DJ/airdodge/f-b/u-b immediately after you slip off into the air at the tip of the fin after the roll you'll go flying upwards and die off the top instead of straight off the side had you done nothing.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
...because...
There are too many factors involved into making it accurate.

Actual distance horizontally and vertically. Ease of sweespotting. Ease of coming back. Time it takes to activate/complete. Diversity. Weight (in relation to being hit out of a recovery, yet trying again). Skill of the edgeguarder. The stage. The situation. ETC!!! ETC>!!!!!>!>!>!>>!

****s to situational

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Wouldn't Shine for recovery be slightly detrimental, due to the tiny bit of height loss due to the tiny bit of fast falling you might do?

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Umm... yeah, she should.

Bringing back the big block of text... if anyone asks/flames.

Joe_Sumo

Smash Apprentice
Why is marth so low? he can save his second jump to avoid edge guarding. his recoverys is huge horizontally and pretty good vertically. could someone explain this to me?

mood4food77

Smash Hero
the other recoveries arre better than his

and yoshi's recovery is good, just not as good as the others

edgegaurding is taken into account, he gets hit, he's pretty much dead, and a meteor does mean instant death pretty much (unless you get pure luck and somehow grab the ledge...which has happened to me before)

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Why is Jigglypuff top!? She's got great horizontal but get her blow the edge of the stage and she has no chance. Anyone who's got enough skill to put her down there can keep her down there.

As for Mewtwo his recovery is completely linear and has a set distance. Again anyone with half a brain can keep him off the edge.

Samus
Peach
Jiggs

Should be the top three in my opinion.

ToonyMan

Smash Cadet
I think that Luigi should atleast be in Middle Tier, because if you can DI well and tap B fast you can survive any hit tha sends you off the cliff. Get as high as you can with DI then do repeated foward B's and then the cyclone to second jump to up B. I dont mean to start an argument though. He does have good recovery, but it is kinda'of easy to stop.

Edit: Oops forgot his instant recovery Mis-Fire!

Binx

Smash Master
Recovery isnt important if its easy to stop, seriously, just grab the ledge at the right time and he goes through you while invincable with his up b and falls to his death, that easy. Fox's recovery goes far too but you dont hear people complain about how broken it is, below the stage almost any character dies.

M2s recovery is really good cause its HUGE a second jump that he can stop where ever he wants, his teleport makes him invincable for a short time and there is very little lag after landing, if all his moves werent so predictable and he wasnt so light he would be decent. Although its linear he can angle it so it can easily gor further or no where near as far as you expect.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
jigglypuff recovers from anywhere...literally, and she's the hardest character to edgegaurd in teh game

samus' vertical recovery isn't that great, mewtwo has amazing recovery too, 2nd hardest to edgegaurd

MARIOWNAGE

Smash Lord
too many tiers; if you're going to have a tier with one character in it, you might as well name it jigglypuff tier, becuase god would make the stage come to him. Not that anything could even touch him let alone send him off the stage.

SlyShadow

Smash Rookie
I think Captain Falcon should be the first.

Why? You can use the knee when you land on the map and cause your enemy to ASPLODE

Demongod86

Smash Apprentice
I have to say there is something that REALLY surprises me...why is there such a *huge* discrepancy between G-Dorf and Captain Falcon? In the end, it's the same deal: jump, kick, jump, up+B, and both of them are easily smackable in that up+B. Not to mention that if you're close enough, Falcon can seriously punish his opponents with a knee. I don't believe that Falcon's recovery should be rated as low as it is. Yes, it is his weakest point, however, I'd certainly take it over half the characters in the game who need gimmicks on their recoveries.

purekorea

Smash Journeyman
1. Ganondorf Down B doesn't send him as far down (sometimes you can use it twice. Under NO circumstances can/should falcon use his twice.)
2. He's a slow faller; allowing greater horizontal drift
3. His upB goes higher
4. Who above falcon would you move down? All of them have better recoveries.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
no it's not, ganon's goes higher vertically, and he has a bigger ledge grab reach

E-Jolteon

Smash Ace
This list is just bad... Pichu is NOT higher than Pika, the only thing he has is speed. I also feel Jigglypuff deserves a lower position, and Sheik should be higher.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
ganon comes back from a lot farther back than most than the characters below him can

jigglypuff can virtually recover from anywhere

sheik's recovery sucks, no doubt

zelda has no DI until she is halfway down teh distance of her up b

pichu can do his up b in 16 directions, ride teh wall with it, and can perform the same direction twice

pika can only perform his up b in 8 directions, and cannot do the other 2 of what pichu can do

mood4food77

Smash Hero
uhhh, pkm, i said that a long time ago....a really really long time ago

and basically, as of right now, the majority of the better players agree with this list

oh, computer lag, this post was the same as the above post so i made it into another actual post

pkmvodka

Smash Lord

and basically, as of right now, the majority of the better players agree with this list

oh, computer lag, this post was the same as the above post so i made it into another actual post
If you want to spare me reading through 22 pages of crap, mind telling me?

pkmvodka

Smash Lord

I got my answer. Wow it's actually taken into account? Ganon 7th? This list is garbage.

ivootjes(nr18)

Smash Lord
Care to give a list of players that agreed with it? This just looks like a bs statement

To me, this list looks like pure crap, explain the huge difference between capt. falcon and ganondorf? Why is there only a small gap between link and young link? Link can use bomb jumping and has a lot better hookshot. And another note, young links recovery is one of the worst in the game, when you don't have your second jump you're virtually death, while several charachters below him still have good chances of surviving

Mewtwo second? where did you base that off, vertical movement? Charachters like samus and peach can make a lot more horizontal distance than mewtwo can. And if height is so important, why isn't falco higher than?

Why are there no explanations in the first post? What are the criteria that you based this off, isn't weight important too, who got to get a vote in this?

This just looks like your own list, with some advices, and i don't think ANY better player will agree with it.

Edit: maybe that i'll make one myself tomorrow, if i'm bored.

Jeffz0r

Smash Champion
There should be 2 seperate lists in my opinion, one for vertical recovery and one for horizontal recovery. Oh and Ice Climbers should be in it twice, for when you have both climbers and for when you only have Popo left.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
while peach and mewtwo do have better horizontal recovery, mewtwo has better vertical recovery

but why is he above, cause the ratio of his vertical recovery to theirs is greater than their ratio of their horizontal recovery to his

if you get what i mean

and what do characters below ganon have over ganon's recovery

REDRAGON

Smash Ace
I have not posted in a loooonggg time...

But i saw this and laughed at the stupidity(no offense)

How the heck is Marth below G&W, Fox, Kirby, Zelda, Yoshi, bowser and Sheik???

I need good reasons, because Marths recovery is semi good imo, and the ones above him are flat out crap!

Top Bottom