• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Recovery Tier List - Currently: Up-B Recoveries

SuSa

Banned via Administration
That it is. Oh how I love the look on my opponents face when I recover from the bottom of the stage.
I love that look as well. :laugh:

Dam, looks sweet.
Thanks :) I spent an hour updating the format.... to better please the eyes and readers.

---I go to bed for 8 hours and no one posts? This is MADNESS! :embarrass

---Starts to do Snake and Link up-B recoveries

EDIT:

Finished Snake and Link recoveries, correct me if you feel I missed something.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
Lmao @ links pro:con ratio.

Its link2 for links brawl symbol, btw.

Looks real good on both parts.

SuSa

1 bad Pro vs OMFGWTFBBQHAX Con's.

I lulzed as well. I literally -cannot- think of a Pro...

Thanks, do you happen to know G&W's? He doesn't even have an icon right now <_<

Mario, Samus, Luigi, and Bowser are also with the non-Brawl icons, do you know those? XD I never bothered to memorize all the icons.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Character: Ike

Pro's of recovery: Super Armor frames, spikes, can drag people off of the stage edge, can screw over edgehogging attempts better then a lot of recoveries due to duration, average vertical reach, bigger ledge grab range if it hits someone, can stage spike if not spiking

Con's of recovery: No auto-snap, SAFs don't last nearly long enough, Ike's hurtbox extends right to the edges of the hitbox during the spinning part, if not slightly pass the hitbox, easy to spike or screw over in general outside of edgehogging, very minimal horizontal movement (a radius of the spinning sword at max, even less when moving backwards).

Which recovery: Up B

I'll be honest and say I don't feel as if Recoveries such as Bowser's should be C rank, but what ever.....I can tell you right now which Up B's I feel aether beats/ties in terms of recovery: Bowser, DK, Link, Olimar, Ivy, Ganondorf, Luigi's (too weak when not sweetspotting, and extremely hard to sweetspot while recovering), IC's lol at my lack of knowledge, maybe Marth's.

Pro's of recovery: Um.....it's fast once you let go. Fairly strong knockback at higher %s. If it hits a edgehogger out of the invisiblity frames, Ike will grab the ledge. Can charge up for more distance, can hold the charge as long as you want, still keep some horizontal momentum if you DJ -> QD. VERY occasionally it's a better choice then Aether (against Marth who keeps trying to counter aether for example)

Con's of recovery: Extremely easy to gimp (lol jumping in front of it and ADing), he's almost guaranteed to be dead if it gets intercepted, slow coming into charge mode, any time you use QD to recovery, you could have DJ'd to aether instead, sound gives away that you are crazy enough to attempt QD, loosing all manhood for attempting to QD recover and failing.

Which recovery: Quick Draw

Barge

mario2
samus2
luigi2
bowser2
yoshi2
gw
dk2

thats all I remember that have more than 1. (and gw's)

SuSa

Pro's of recovery: Super Armor frames, spikes, can drag people off of the stage edge, can screw over edgehogging attempts better then a lot of recoveries due to duration, average vertical reach, bigger ledge grab range if it hits someone, can stage spike if not spiking

Con's of recovery: No auto-snap, SAFs don't last nearly long enough, Ike's hurtbox extends right to the edges of the hitbox during the spinning part, if not slightly pass the hitbox, easy to spike or screw over in general outside of edgehogging, very minimal horizontal movement (a radius of the spinning sword at max, even less when moving backwards).

Which recovery: Up B

I'll be honest and say I don't feel as if Recoveries such as Bowser's should be C rank, but what ever.....I can tell you right now which Up B's I feel aether beats/ties in terms of recovery: Bowser, DK, Link, Olimar, Ivy, Ganondorf, Luigi's (too weak when not sweetspotting, and extremely hard to sweetspot while recovering), IC's, maybe Marth's.

Pro's of recovery: Um.....it's fast once you let go. Fairly strong knockback at higher %s. If it hits a edgehogger out of the invisiblity frames, Ike will grab the ledge. Can charge up for more distance, can hold the charge as long as you want, still keep some horizontal momentum if you DJ -> QD. VERY occasionally it's a better choice then Aether (against Marth who keeps trying to counter aether for example)

Con's of recovery: Extremely easy to gimp (lol jumping in front of it and ADing), he's almost guaranteed to be dead if it gets intercepted, slow coming into charge mode, any time you use QD to recovery, you could have DJ'd to aether instead, sound gives away that you are crazy enough to attempt QD, loosing all manhood for attempting to QD recover and failing.

Which recovery: Quick Draw

Aether... that must be used from below the ledge and as such to not be edge-hogged... compared to IC's auto-sweetspot, tether-like large recovery? Having almost NO horizontal movement beating Bowser's and DK's? Marth's super-quick recovery with just-as-good vertical range, but quicker?

Sorry, I may be biased but so are you for thinking its better then those recoveries. :ohwell:

*adds Ike to both lists*

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Look at my edited post. >_> I have a headache, I was not thinking clearly when it comes to ICs.

It's beating/tied Bowser and DK's because both are extremely one direction. Bowser and DK aren't exactly going far vertically, Ike isn't exactly going far horizontally. And I said beat/tied for a reason. At least Ike isn't killed if footstooled (sp?). And I said maybe Marth's because it's predictable (like Ike's), have to be nearly right below the ledge. But it is faster.

I forgot to add Wolf's and Falco's Up B's to my list, but w/e, those are more debatable.

kirbywizard

Smash Hero
3DS FC
0989-1847-5768
:olimar:
Character: Olimar UP B tether

Pro's of recovery: Comes out fast, large length, and can double as an attack. Seeks straight for the edge. If used right may spike.

Con's of recovery: Recovery is useless if enemy grabs edge, once enemy grabs the edge the tether will no longer seek for the edge and just go straight in an 45 degree angle. If you hit the opponent off the edge the tether shall not grab the edge. Olimar will then begin to fall helpless. The less amount of pikmin you have mean the smaller the length of the tether. If pikmin are not in line, they will not help in recovery. Whistle First to call in all pikmin.

Which recovery: UP B

Barge

I should add onto olimars that if edgehogged, white and purple pikmin may stage spike if aimed right with up b.
So you can at least take them down with you, however I know that doesn't really have to do with recovery, its a fun fact.
And you were getting repetitive in your explanation, kirby.

He has one of the fastest tethers in the game.
His pikmin chain can also go up at a 90 degree angle depending what stage you're on.
And his tether has one of the largest edge magnetism ranges.

kirbywizard

Smash Hero
3DS FC
0989-1847-5768
I should add onto olimars that if edgehogged, white and purple pikmin may stage spike if aimed right with up b.
So you can at least take them down with you, however I know that doesn't really have to do with recovery, its a fun fact.
And you were getting repetitive in your explanation, kirby.

He has one of the fastest tethers in the game.
His pikmin chain can also go up at a 90 degree angle depending what stage you're on.
Thanks I think I will just edit my post,

SuSa

Added, and read the edit.

Man this is 10x more work then I was thinking it'd be. <_< (99% my fault for over-complicating the format) but.... **** it's going to be a pretty good read and a nice information source when done. :)

Barge

If any ness mains wish to clarify/add additional information, I would appreciate it.

*Character icon* :ness2:
Character: Ness

Pro's of recovery: When launched, travels fast and inflicts damage/knockback when in contact with an opponent.
Has great range, can recover from bottom of the starter stages
Will auto-ledge grab
Can travel in any direction

Con's of recovery: Easily gimpable/absorabable
Long start up time
Will bounce off edge if aimed incorrectly

Which recovery: Up B (PKT2)

I don't know, I'm tired right now. I seem to be forgetting a lot of things....
I know theres way more than that.

tuestresfat

Smash Apprentice
Character: Pikachu

Pros: Unrivaled in speed and safety. Can be done twice in succession with almost no stall in between. Angle can be altered up down left right for both dashes making it very difficult to predict. Distance covered by this recovery both horizontally and vertically is one of the best in the game. Invincible during recovery with the exception of the very very brief stall between dashes. Recovery counts as an attack which will poke off edgehoggers who don't have invincibility frames.

I don't know if you care about how these skills are used in battle or you only care about their recovering ability... but anyways this move is an excellent approach option for pika and is extremely difficult to predict on the opponents part. The damage is minimal but it does temporarily stun the opponent (during your approach) which is always helpful. Combined with pika's neutral b (which follows the ledge) pika is easily one of the most anti-camp characters to play against in the game.

Cons: Leaves pikachu in helpless state after performing. Can't think of anything else bad about this recovery...

Recovery (up-B): Quick Attack

Placement/Ranking: SS rank. I truly believe he's got the best up-b recovery.

SuSa

If any ness mains wish to clarify/add additional information, I would appreciate it.

*Character icon* :ness2:
Character: Ness

Pro's of recovery: When launched, travels fast and inflicts damage/knockback when in contact with an opponent.
Has great range, can recover from bottom of the starter stages
Will auto-ledge grab
Can travel in any direction

Con's of recovery: Easily gimpable/absorabable
Long start up time
Will bounce off edge if aimed incorrectly

Which recovery: Up B (PKT2)

I don't know, I'm tired right now. I seem to be forgetting a lot of things....
I know theres way more than that.
PKT can be canceled out, hitting something shortens the length, etc. I'll edit it as I add it.

Character: Pikachu

Pros: Unrivaled in speed and safety. Can be done twice in succession with almost no stall in between. Angle can be altered up down left right for both dashes making it very difficult to predict. Distance covered by this recovery both horizontally and vertically is one of the best in the game. Invincible during recovery with the exception of the very very brief stall between dashes. Recovery counts as an attack which will poke off edgehoggers who don't have invincibility frames.

I don't know if you care about how these skills are used in battle or you only care about their recovering ability... but anyways this move is an excellent approach option for pika and is extremely difficult to predict on the opponents part. The damage is minimal but it does temporarily stun the opponent (during your approach) which is always helpful. Combined with pika's neutral b (which follows the ledge) pika is easily one of the most anti-camp characters to play against in the game.

Cons: Leaves pikachu in helpless state after performing. Can't think of anything else bad about this recovery...

Recovery (up-B): Quick Attack

Placement/Ranking: SS rank. I truly believe he's got the best up-b recovery.
That is extremely biased, and I will edit and add it. I feel high A or low S for Pikachu.

That has a lot of bias in that post. Lol.
I edit all information to attempt to trim down all, if not most bias. I also think of Con's and remove Pro's that "don't really count".. you can see that in many of the recoveries, looking how I have them down - and reading the Information Post link I provide. This allows people to see where I got my information (for the most part) and see "who made what" thing so I don't get *****ed at.

Any post without an Information Post was either forgot to add (Bowser) or made by me (the rest)

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Invincible during recovery with the exception of the very very brief stall between dashes.
I didn't know that...are you sure that's right? It seems possible since he dissapears, but I'm not sure.

Airgemini

Chansey
Safari Zone. Shiny, and holding a Lucky Egg.
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
:peach:
Peach

Pros of Recovery:
  • Parasol covers good vertical height
  • Has a lot of hitboxes around her body
  • Has active hitboxes throughout the entire recovery
  • Allows amazing horizontal movement when it reaches the apex of it's height
  • Long pole helps protect from attacks from above (some spikes, etc)
  • Cannot be properly edgehogged well because the top of the Parasol will always hit the opponent off the ledge and Peach will grab it immediately depending on their percent, how much invincibility they have, etc.
  • You have the option of moving in any direction you want to to avoid attacks (except up)

Cons:
  • Has nice vertical recovery, but not the best
  • If you get spiked, don't expect on recovering
  • Can be spiked out of even when the top is above her if done right
  • Slow falling speed works against her as well since she's more open to attacks
  • If you Parasol the wrong way, you have to tap down to make her free fall (this makes you lose some height)

Which recovery: Parasol

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
He is not invincible when recovering. That seems obvious, but you can't let this list be corrupted with false information!
To add to this, Picachu's hitbox is wonky during his Up B. Someone on the Ike boards has a picture of his Upsmash "hitting" Picachu, but the sword wasn't touching Picachu. You could clearly see a gap between the Usmash and Picachu. And his Up Smash isn't THAT disjointed.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Jigglypuff should have the second best horizontal recovery because she is never stuck during it (she can always air dodge or DI in any direction, unlike Peach or many others) and she has so many options, from 6 jumps with rising pounds allowing you to go insanely far and being able to attack in between (another issue a Peach can face). Rising pound is amazing.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
i am going to say a bit for luigi

Up B:
Pros: Goes a good distance both horizontal and vertical
Quick
Cons: Horrible Priority, multiple characters have easy gimps, example: Metaknights down air

Overall: D

Forward B:

Pros of charged (fully)
Long distance
Good priority for recovery
GREAT knockback
Misfire

Cons:
Head stuck into wall easier if charged
Not always useful
moderately easy to predict

Pros of uncharged:
Multiple missiles mean multiple misfires
Less chances of head getting stuck in the wall since its uncharged
useful in almost all circumstances

Cons of uncharged:
low priority
low knockback
Easy to intercept

Pros overall:
Goes a good distance
Misfires are powerful
Good variation of charged and uncharged for all distances

Cons overall:
your head can get stuck in the wall especially if charged or misfired
moderately low priority for uncharged

Overall: high C or Low B

Down B:
Pros:
Best down b recovery
Great distance
Can be altered in distance for "mindgames"
Cons:
Kinda low priority

Overall
S tier (aka Metaknight tier)

Overall recovery Pros:
Multiple ways to recover
Multiple variations from not mashing down b fully to misfires and variations of forward b

Overall recovery Cons:
Low priority :-(

Overall mid B

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Nah, Luigi is an A tier. His recovery can be interrupted too easily and under stage his Green Missile does almost nothing and so 1 dair taking away his down B effectively gimps him. its too easy to stop Luigi from recovering for him to be an S tier, he isn't there. However, if he's above stage and goes for a missile or goes second jump down B so he rises way above and comes back down, you can't really stop him.

cutter

Smash Champion
People really need to understand that even though a character might have a very long distance recovery, it isn't always safe.

Personally, I would have a safe recovery over the ability to recover from seemingly huge distances. When was the last time anyone has managed to successfully edgeguard a competent G&W?

SuSa

People really need to understand that even though a character might have a very long distance recovery, it isn't always safe.

Personally, I would have a safe recovery over the ability to recover from seemingly huge distances. When was the last time anyone has managed to successfully edgeguard a competent G&W?
Safety isn't as large of an issue as actual recovery right now.

Also it's fun to spike G&W.

Xiahou Dun

Smash Ace
Down B:
Pros:
Best down b recovery
Great distance
Can be altered in distance for "mindgames"
Cons:
Kinda low priority
Also can't sweetspot the ledge is another con. Mixed with the priority issue it makes it kinda easy to spike in a couple of situations.

TP

Smash Master
:ganondorf:
Ganondorf

Pros of recovery:

-Very nice vertical height
-Both the grab part and the punch at the end can stage spike if the person is caught on the ledge without invincibility
-Can be controlled slightly, which prevents it from ever getting caught under the stage if used correctly

Cons of recovery:

-Predictable
-Easy to edgehog, especially by tethers
-Not enough distance to make up for getting hit away during it
-No priority if attacked from above
-If it hits the opponent and the opponent has a very fast aerial and is at a high percent, the aerial can hit as soon as the grab ends. This is pretty much an automatic gimp for characters such as Falco and MK, who can Dair Ganon to death.

Which recovery: Dark Dive

Rank: I was gonna say E, but then I saw people giving Ike and Luigi D's and Ness a C, so I'll say D.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Hmm. I'm considering doing Ness and Lucas recoveries, but this could be a tough one.
There's just so many variables. PKT would fall under the 'Up-B' category, right?

Xiahou Dun

Smash Ace
Does Samus' Down B count? It's like halfway between a stall and a weak Horizontal Recovery. :/

E Rank for sure if it is added.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
:ness2:
PKT2

Pros - Can be shot in nearly any direction, horizontally and vertically.
Has above-average distance.
Very powerful, can kill at 60% for some characters, so it's risky to edgeguard or gimp.

Cons - It takes almost a full second to launch.
Any character can let themself be hit by the projectile 'PKT' and Ness will plummet offstage.
Gives the opponent enough time to gimp Ness before he can use it.
Difficult to control due to PKT's free range to go anywhere.
Other projectiles can cancel it. (ie. Toon Link's Boomerang.)

Type - Up-B

Rank - D

I only touched up on Barge's description, because he doesn't main Ness.

Xiahou Dun

Smash Ace
Captain Falcon's needs to be lowered.

Additional Cons not mentioned so far.

-Hitbox is very small an extremely easy recovery to hit/spike without endangering yourself
-Attack portion of the recovery does not last the entire duration of the move. Although it has some pretty decent range on it this makes it simple to edgehog once it is used from far away from the ledge. This means that it can only be effectively used closer to the edge and it's max range is only beneficial if the opponent leaves the edge unguarded and allows you to recover.

D Rank.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
For the sake of argument, since a character's 1st jump doesn't really contribute to recovery, maybe only 2nd jumps should contribute. Thus, MK, Jiggs and Kirby have 5, DDD has 3, and Charizard and Pit have 2, IIRC.

Also, I'd argue that MK's glide is better than Pit's because it has a better turning radius. Pit can build up a lot of speed, but he can't use that speed as effectively as MK for gaining height.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
For the sake of argument, since a character's 1st jump doesn't really contribute to recovery, maybe only 2nd jumps should contribute. Thus, MK, Jiggs and Kirby have 5, DDD has 3, and Charizard and Pit have 2, IIRC.
Agreed, but I would suggest for the ease of the reader that you point out this only counts offstage jumps. Don't want to cause any confusion for people who read it and think "no wai they has 6 jumps!!!11!!"
But ph00t has a point. When you think about it; this is a recovery list and saying that six jumps are available sounds like 6 jumps can be used for recovery. 6 can be used for gimping but only 5 at the most are left when recovering.

Top Bottom