• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Recovery Tier List - Currently: Up-B Recoveries

SuSa

Banned via Administration
OMFG.......................... not enough Pro's and Con's :o lol.... daaaayyuuummmm

Added, trimmed it down though and fixed spelling. You got a little off topic from the recovery itself.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
I guess for side B recovery pros for icies you should also include its sopos best recovery option.

Browny

Smash Hater
:D

Although i think you should still mention in the cons, how the weaknesses are almost always negated by recovering high. its not like with Pit/rob how theirs weaknesses in the upb exists no matter where the use it, Sonic only has those weaknesses if he recovers low which is completely avoidable unless he gets spiked. Its almost like assuming snakes recovery could be considered really bad if he always chooses to recover low, over the edge of the stage...

SuSa

:D

Although i think you should still mention in the cons, how the weaknesses are almost always negated by recovering high. its not like with Pit/rob how theirs weaknesses in the upb exists no matter where the use it, Sonic only has those weaknesses if he recovers low which is completely avoidable unless he gets spiked. Its almost like assuming snakes recovery could be considered really bad if he always chooses to recover low, over the edge of the stage...
We aren't trying to compare, just give data. Also if you read my 13 points, you'll see why the low/high isn't majorly important.

Hm, what would you consider it?
His only viable recovery except from below?

Browny

Smash Hater
its not a comparison? theres so many examples i can give of every single character that dont neccesarily apply.

falco/fox/wolf side, choose to recover from as far as possible and get edgehogged. lucario, choose to recover from a 90* angle below the stage and remove any chance to wall cling. you cant simply ignore the fact that sonics weaknesses only exist if he majorly screwed up. Yes they are there, but for anyone new to brawl reading this, (or sonic for that matter) they would be under the assumption that sonics recovery is extremely punishable. every character has a grab, everyone can GR him over the edge.

just make a mention that those weaknesses only exist if sonic chooses to spring from well below the stage, otherwise they do not apply or something...

Adapt

Smash Lord
If you could try and fit your information using my format, I'd greatly appreciate it. It allows me to copy+paste. (And I'll be adding which post I took information from right now)
Very Well.

Character: Zero Suit Samus

Pros of recovery:
  • Very Fast.
  • Can be used multiple times without entering helpless state.
  • Can Tether from a very wide angle. (almost 45 degrees on either side of vertical as long as the stage is not in the way)
  • Can be used in conjunction with a jump for a 40-50% boost in jump height. This is also true for footstool and flipstool jumps.
  • Can be B-reversed (wavebounced?) for a horizontal boost. Although, this is rare.
  • Useful attack, the tip can spike people who stay on the edge too long and it's fast enough to tether afterward.
Cons of recovery:
  • Does not increase character height by itself (big con!)
  • Easy to edgehog if it is exclusively relied upon. (This can be mitigated with use of her other recovery moves)
  • ZSS is vulnerable while hanging on a tether before she has reached the edge

Recovery Option: Up-B
Rank: B (Although I disagree that the ICs have a better up-B, I do not believe that by itself, this up-B is good enough for A rank)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Since you already have this ranked:

Character: Zero Suit Samus

Pros of recovery:
  • This move is invincible in frames 1 to 12 inclusive
  • Does not leave ZSS in helpless state. Thus can be mixed with other recoveries
  • Has a built in wall-jump (will happen 4 times if in an enclosed area)
  • Has a strong, high-priority, spiking, sex-kick that makes opponents hesitate before attempting to gimp ZSS
  • Good horizontal distance (3 small blocks), similar to side-B
  • Can somewhat increase horizontal survival in a manner similar to bucket braking (with much less success however, so it's a minor pro)
  • Has a built in footstool jump (called the Flipstool) which can be triggered on any non-stage physical object and will travel the length of Battlefield horizontally or vertically. Can be activated on an edge-hogging character even if they are invincible.
Cons of recovery:
  • When used far from the stage, does not give any increase in height
  • Predictable arc that can be punished from above if used improperly
  • Can only be used once
  • If used while being hit upwards, this can actually make ZSS die earlier (minor con)

Recovery Option: Down-B

Adapt

Smash Lord
You didn't take my suggestion that down-b be moved to A rank... What are your thoughts against that? I know you say it gives no vertical distance far from the stage, but that's not what it is for. It is meant for horizontal distance and as a method of getting past edgehoggers. It performs both of these functions quite well. Not to mention all the other stuff it does that I already listed.

SuSa

You didn't take my suggestion that down-b be moved to A rank... What are your thoughts against that? I know you say it gives no vertical distance far from the stage, but that's not what it is for. It is meant for horizontal distance and as a method of getting past edgehoggers. It performs both of these functions quite well. Not to mention all the other stuff it does that I already listed.
It will be higher in the horizontal ranking. As a down-B, theres better ones.

Adapt

Smash Lord
It will be higher in the horizontal ranking. As a down-B, theres better ones.
Whose?

Luigi's is better, but he is already in S rank

Who else has a down-B recovery option?

MK - already lower
Wario - already lower
Sonic - must be used with a jump to get any vertical gain out of it
Samus - incredibly slow and no vertical gain (this should be included in your list however)
Lucas - must be used with another move to get decent distance, no vertical gain...

SuSa

Whose?

Luigi's is better, but he is already in S rank

Who else has a down-B recovery option?

MK - already lower
Wario - already lower
Sonic - must be used with a jump to get any vertical gain out of it
Samus - incredibly slow and no vertical gain (this should be included in your list however)
Lucas - must be used with another move to get decent distance, no vertical gain...
Then the rankings will be redone?

The rankings now are just "around here" placements.... everything will change when all recoveries are on the list - filed into even ranks, extra ranks trimmed down. Then the "fine tuning" of whos above who in what rank happens.

Right now its an approx. to make it so its not a TON of work later to rank them..its a ballpark figure.

Adapt

Smash Lord
Ok, cool

That's a good enough answer for me.

EDIT:
I seem to have forgotten a couple words in my description of her down-B

it should read: Good horizontal distance (3 small blocks), similar to her side-B

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Captain Falcon

Up B

Pros:
Auto sweetspots the edge. Grabs an opponent if close enough for an attack; landing the grab gives the player another Up B which can be indefinitely returned as long as an opponent can be grabbed. Can be reversed while continuing in the original direction which sends opponents out away from the stage if a grab is landed. Captain Falcon has a slight "teleport" which when combined with the moves fairly high priority will allow Falcon to go through potential gimp attempts and land the move. If the opponent is attempting to edge hog Falcon and runs out of invincibility frames, or the opponent is just off stage and close to the edge of the stage, Falcon will grab them and instantly stage spike them.

Cons:
It's distance both vertical and horizontal leads a lot to be desired, the only reason it doesn't suck is the auto sweetspot improvement from Melee and 64. A predictable pattern lets people who can out prioritize the move keep Falcon away for as long as they want until Falcon finally dies. It is also a pretty slow move in terms of covering the distance it goes which makes it easier to quickly snap to the ledge for a hog than other recoveries. Against a bunch of characters Falcon will find himself able to recover easily and safely with Up B, yet of course there are those who will have a field day keeping him off stage. Sadly for Falcon, many of the characters who play keep away with him are high up in popularity/tier list...

Rank: In terms of straight distance I would put it in C rank, but the auto sweetspot, ability to Up B again when the opponent is grabbed and stage spike potential lands it in the bottom of B IMO. Might fall down to C though when more characters are added.

SuSa

Added. I accidently pasted it in D, but corrected. It's above Bowser right now.

It may move up to bottom B depending how all the ranks work out, but I highly doubt it. I feel high/middle C will end up being where he is.

kirbywizard

Smash Hero
3DS FC
0989-1847-5768
Hm how does Luigi B side go as a recover

Pro: good horizontal distant, knocks foe off edge. Misfire can ko enemy and greater distant

con: needs to be charged, could go under the stage, does not sweet spot, predictable.

I would say C rank, if tornado was allowed with it then a B

SuSa

Hm how does Luigi B side go as a recover

Pro: good horizontal distant, knocks foe off edge. Misfire can ko enemy and greater distant

con: needs to be charged, could go under the stage, does not sweet spot, predictable.

I would say C rank, if tornado was allowed with it then a B
1. Read title of thread

2. Read formatting

3. Read title of thread again

4. Notice how we're talking about recovery not using as an attack

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Character: Ike

Pro's of recovery: Vertical Projectile to PROTECT from attacks from above, 20 SAFs, Good vertical distance.

Con's of recovery: No horizontal distance.. TOO easy to hit out of.. Easy to edge hog.

Which recovery: Aether (Up B)

Next one:

Pro's of recovery: nice Horizontal distance

Con's of recovery: TOO TOO TOO easy to ledge hog.. Simple enough to hit/spike out of. Hell just BEING in the way will stop Ike in his tracks and he'll go down to his death. Also, it has to CHARGE for 60 frames to reach maximum distance.

Which recovery: Quick Draw (side B)

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Let it be known that AFTER G&W uses his UpB, he can drop his parachute and footstool anyone that tries to edgeguard him. His recovery is amazing.

Kiyuzoh

Smash Cadet
I just wanted to add that Luigi's Green Missile (side-B) can be sweet-spotted. ( I know we're talking about up-B's right now, but it's too late for me to start typing a summary of Luigi's up-B, and I'm going to bed.)

SSJ5Goku8932

Smash Lord
Sorry lol.

Character: :007:

Pros of Recovery: It can be slightly angled and be a GTFO move as it has knockback at the end. It has decent distance.

Cons of Recovery: It is prone to many things, including edgehogs, Spikes, footstools, etc.
Also it has some landing lag.

What Recovery: UPB

Oh noes, you forgot to put this down :(.

Fixed.

Cinos_Gohegdeh

Smash Apprentice
I think Sonic has the best recovery.
as for getting attacked, only a good Sonic would be able to time the moves and air dodges

SuSa

Oh noes, you forgot to put this down :(.

Fixed.
... quality.... still lacking.... look at some of the ones up, then look at yours... I'll wait for my data, either from you or others.

(Please don't take all this personally, :x it may seem like I'm picking on you...I can promise, I'm not)

Luigi.

Pros- distance like ZOMG.
Cons- Gimpable like ZOMG.

overall- bad.
lol?

i would post something useful but i can't understand what's going on....
pit's jumps > dedede jumps if i understood.
If you can't post anything useful - don't post.

I think Sonic has the best recovery.
as for getting attacked, only a good Sonic would be able to time the moves and air dodges
Meta Knight has 2 glides, multiple jumps, and (like Sonic) can recover with any B move.... I say MK wins though for overall.

SSJ5Goku8932

Smash Lord
Well it is quite a simple recovery.

Here goes....

Pros of Recovery: It can be very useful, as its distance is not quite bad. It is a multi-hit move that has decent knockback at the end of the attack. It basically keeps him safe from the front or downward.
Also it lasts a while. Given with how Mobile Squirtle is, and the range of its "mouth", It can be somewhat unpredictible. It can be angled upwards or more horizontal.

Cons of Recovery: Even though Squirtle has the front and under covered. He is vunerable from the back and ABOVE. This means the he is prone to many things such as gimps and spikes. Also it can be edgehogged afterwards. It also has unneeded ending lag. And also it lasting long is a curse and blessing.
It can also be Di'ble.

What Recovery: UP B

Zodac

Smash Journeyman
hard to post when it is soooo messy

and what is the point of this, the only thing that matters if overall recovery, which has already been done

*leaves*

SuSa

Well it is quite a simple recovery.

Here goes....

Pros of Recovery: It can be very useful, as its distance is not quite bad. It is a multi-hit move that has decent knockback at the end of the attack. It basically keeps him safe from the front or downward.
Also it lasts a while. Given with how Mobile Squirtle is, and the range of its "mouth", It can be somewhat unpredictible. It can be angled upwards or more horizontal.

Cons of Recovery: Even though Squirtle has the front and under covered. He is vunerable from the back and ABOVE. This means the he is prone to many things such as gimps and spikes. Also it can be edgehogged afterwards. It also has unneeded ending lag. And also it lasting long is a curse and blessing.
It can also be Di'ble.

What Recovery: UP B

Added and partly edited.

hard to post when it is soooo messy

and what is the point of this, the only thing that matters if overall recovery, which has already been done

*leaves*
1. Not that messy, I've seen worse. It'll be formatted better - later.

2. From what I gather, both those lists were poorly done, never really finished, and many people disliked them. -- Overall recovery cannot accurately be found without breaking it up into parts. You can't have an "overall" look at something without any "pieces"

3. Your post was a complete waste.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I might as well help out. After reading the OP, I'm just winging it. Only adding the pros and cons. Correct me if I'm wrong on some things. There's not a lot to say, so just imagine it being fairly short.

:mario2:
The Super Jump Punch.

Pros - Fastest Up-B in the game. It's invincible throughout the entire ascending animation. Can reach either higher or farther, depending on how you aim the control stick. It has decent distance, but it's nothing too impressive. Cannot be edgehogged due to it's ability to stagespike.

Cons - Mediocre distance, it's only the equivalent of a second jump that attacks. Does not auto-ledgegrab if you overshoot the ledge. Easily gimpable if already used. Anyone with a tether regrab can edgehog him. (ie. Samus, Link)

Which Recovery - Up B

Rank - C.

(Anything else needed?)

SSJ5Goku8932

Smash Lord
............ I feel that I have the need to fear you.

Gah, nevermind.

Please do not infract me:(.

(Straked forgot to put Rank and Recovery, ITS A CONSPIRACY I SAY!)

SuSa

I might as well help out. After reading the OP, I'm just winging it. Only adding the pros and cons. Correct me if I'm wrong on some things. There's not a lot to say, so just imagine it being fairly short.

:mario2:
The Super Jump Punch.

Pros - Fastest Up-B in the game. It's invincible throughout the entire ascending animation. Can reach either higher or farther, depending on how you aim the control stick. It has decent distance, but it's nothing too impressive. Cannot be edgehogged due to it's ability to stagespike.

Cons - Mediocre distance, it's only the equivalent of a second jump that attacks. Does not auto-ledgegrab if you overshoot the ledge. Easily gimpable if already used.

Which Recovery - Up B

Rank - C.

(Anything else needed?)
Thats actually great as is.

............ I feel that I have the need to fear you.

Gah, nevermind.
Spam? Edit something useful in quick...

Browny

Smash Hater
Marios upb can be edgehogged... just time the invinci frames right and it puts an edgeghogger at no risk if they use the rolldodge-edgehog technqie theres no chance of a stagespike

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Marios upb can be edgehogged... just time the invinci frames right and it puts an edgeghogger at no risk if they use the rolldodge-edgehog technqie theres no chance of a stagespike
Absolutely. Anyone with a tether-regrab can always edgehog, I can always edit that it now.
They can instantly regrab, and the hurtbox can't stop a Samus or Link.

Thanks for reminding me.

Barge

I just remembered something about Ice Climbers squall recovery, They have to be significantly close to each other AND by synced, that is an easy con and may possibly lower them on the list.
Unlike belay it can't be used from a great distance.
If they aren't close enough they'll both solo climber squall

SuSa

Absolutely. Anyone with a tether-regrab can always edgehog, I can always edit that it now.
They can instantly regrab, and the hurtbox can't stop a Samus or Link.

Thanks for reminding me.
I edited the up-B as I was putting it in, tethers can edgehog many people who sweetspot. We're talking about recovering, whether stage or ledge, so while somewhat important its too situational to be added right now.

Remember, building blocks before we glue.

Hope you all enjoy the new OP, I updated it to make it all purty.... and it took an hour...

EDIT:

@Barge

I will edit the fact they have to be relatively close, as well as synced. It may lower them on the list, but its still epic. lol

Barge

I edited the up-B as I was putting it in, tethers can edgehog many people who sweetspot. We're talking about recovering, whether stage or ledge, so while somewhat important its too situational to be added right now.

Remember, building blocks before we glue.

Hope you all enjoy the new OP, I updated it to make it all purty.... and it took an hour...

EDIT:

@Barge

I will edit the fact they have to be relatively close, as well as synced. It may lower them on the list, but its still epic. lol
That it is. Oh how I love the look on my opponents face when I recover from the bottom of the stage.

Top Bottom