• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Recovery Tier List - Currently: Up-B Recoveries

Barge

All I want is a custom title
Havokk!
You may want to move Ice climbers side B recovery to B rank.
I ALSO forgot that if it hits someone on the way up, it will decrease its verticle height, just like nesses pkt2

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Really? I never knew that....I'll add that... but ranks won't really matter until the list is finished and I/we compare the pro's+con's to order the ranks, put them in equal #'s, and strip off any extra ranks.

XienZo

Smash Lord
You could mention that Ike's side-B is easy to gimp because it stops and sends him into helpless once it hits any hurtbox, including airdodging opponents and projectiles. This also applies to green missle and skull bash, but they don't send Luigi or Pikachu into helpless.

Also, on Jigglypuff's sing: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=219048

It refreshes jumps below the stage. Kinda hax and noteworthy.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
:pit:

Pros
-Controllable
-Great distance, both horizontal and Vertical depending on where you control it
-Sweetspots a ledge when used near a ledge, beneficial and essential to Pit's ledgecamp game.

Cons
-Does not do any damage
-Cannot use it again if Pit is either hit or uses an attack before he either touches the ground or grabs on a ledge (BIGGEST and most noticable Con)
-Leaves Pit vunerable, especially to projectile gimps
-Leaves Pit MORE vulnerable if the timer for the wings run out.
-Pit is given less time to fly if he uses Up-B again shortly after being used
-If knocked back quickly (EX: getting spiked), the move wont cancel the knockback right away like some Up-B recoveries do (like Sonic's)
-There's no coming back if you get spiked outta Up-B, guaranteed

Recovery: Up-B

Based on my observations... If I miss anything, then let me know.
Some will probably say C since Pit is easy to gimp, but as long as he has great distance, it's better than not having enough distance.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
There's also Squall Hammer, Spin Dash, Quick Draw, Plasma Whip, Monkey Flip, Peach Bomber, Din's Fire, Withdraw, Chain, and maybe a few more.
Mmmm.... Razor Leaf, Plasma Whip, Fox/Falco Illusion, Wolf Flash, Flame Choke, Koopa Klaw....

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Razor Leaf/Plasma Whip are virtually useless for recovery.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
*Fixed the massive leaf typo. xD

Oh, don't I know that. I spent maybe half an hour writing some big OP for a tournament or something, and nobody bothers to read. I just see 11 "sign me upz."

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Zelda: Side B

Pros:
-Has a decent horizontal distance
-Can be aimed at an opponent while recovering, so if you are hit the opponent also is.
-Has a low landing lag compared to an up-b WHEN TIMED CORRECTLY
-More horizontal distance than her double jump
-Has more flexibilty when it comes to the distance you want to travel, for you can end the attack fast for a small little boost or hold it longer for bigger boost (compared to her up-b which always goes the same distance unless stopped by a platform or stage).

Cons:
-Compared to others, this move isnt a great horizontal movement, and zelda's bad horizontal air movement doesn't help.
-Leaves you very vulnerable while in the air.
-If accidently executed early, leaves in a free-fall
-This is huge. If you're momentum is going away from the stage THIS MOVE WILL ALSO GIVE YOU A BOOST AWAY FROM THE STAGE.
-more lag time when times incorrectly.

Correct me if I'm wrong on anything.

gallax

Smash Hero
PIkachu's Side B Recovery

Pro's
1) Can reuse it over and over
2.) Fully Charged Can bring you back to the stage
3.) Can knock opponents off the ledge and can be used as an attack

Con's
1.) Easy to punish
2.) If you undershoot the ledge you must save your second jump or be perfect with your QA to recover
3.) Slow to fully charge

Airgemini

Chansey
Safari Zone. Shiny, and holding a Lucky Egg.
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
-Has a decent horizontal distance
You're joking right? Decent is not the word to use, more like horrible. Decent is like maybe Ike's side B uncharged, Zelda hardly moves foward at all. It's more like a little foward, then at a downwards angle.
-Can be aimed at an opponent while recovering, so if you are hit the opponent also is.
If you get hit while Din's Fire-ing the ball will just continue going, it doesn't explode when automatically when you get hit.
-Has more flexibilty when it comes to the distance you want to travel, for you can end the attack fast for a small little boost
You don't even get a little boost when you end Din's Fire, you're left in a free fall state, and as you said earlier, her air speed is not the greatest.
or hold it longer for bigger boost.
It doesn't give you any noticable boost by holding it!!!

I'd personally say Rank F or lowest of D.

Sorry zeldaspazz if I came off a little rude but I just kind of found it a little irritating because whenever I'm recovering and accidently use Din's Fire for recovering, it doesn't help at all. So I'm just a little angry at the move recovery wise ;)

gallax

Smash Hero
i have to agree with the above statement. zelda's DF is not that great...or even good for recovery. At best its D. I would have to give it an F. You do not gain anything from using it other than you are put into a free fall state and are completely vulnerable. It does not even get you closer to the stage.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Ok airgemini I see where you're coming from, but please let me clarify a bit and see if it makes more sense.

You're joking right? Decent is not the word to use, more like horrible. Decent is like maybe Ike's side B uncharged, Zelda hardly moves foward at all. It's more like a little foward, then at a downwards angle.
Well, I guess this one is a matter of preference, I personally can get Din's to get me the distance that I would call "decent" so I can't really argue with you about this one.

If you get hit while Din's Fire-ing the ball will just continue going, it doesn't explode when automatically when you get hit.
Ok I guess I was unclear here. Ok, when I said "aim at the opponent" I meant put it at an angle so that it will explode where the opponent will land after the attack. So when you get hit, the DF has a CHANCE of hitting your opponent also, if you angle it at the portion of the stage where they land. Make sense by my views?

You don't even get a little boost when you end Din's Fire, you're left in a free fall state, and as you said earlier, her air speed is not the greatest.
At this point of starting to question a if you've actually tried this recovery move. If you hold it to a certain point you DO get a little boost, you go into a free fall state immediately if you stop the move immediately. You move farther the longer you hold it, excluding the very last parts of the move.

It doesn't give you any noticable boost by holding it!!!
Again, see above. You do get a longer boost by holding it.

I'd personally say Rank F or lowest of D.
Again, preference, and the list will be altered with more information.

Sorry zeldaspazz if I came off a little rude but I just kind of found it a little irritating because whenever I'm recovering and accidently use Din's Fire for recovering, it doesn't help at all. So I'm just a little angry at the move recovery wise ;)
Sorry if I come off a bit rude here, but it sounds to me like you've never used this move on purpose for recovering, could you please try it before you bash me.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Ok I guess I was unclear here. Ok, when I said "aim at the opponent" I meant put it at an angle so that it will explode where the opponent will land after the attack. So when you get hit, the DF has a CHANCE of hitting your opponent also, if you angle it at the portion of the stage where they land. Make sense by my views?
Why would your opponent go to the ground where Din's fire will explode?
Din must hit the ground if it is to hav any chance of harming the opponent and that is EASILY avoided.

At this point of starting to question a if you've actually tried this recovery move. If you hold it to a certain point you DO get a little boost, you go into a free fall state immediately if you stop the move immediately. You move farther the longer you hold it, excluding the very last parts of the move.
The amount of distance that you move further is quite small and far from anything notable.
let alone this is a comparison so eve if what you said was true, it wouldnt affect the placement of her side B option.

Sorry if I come off a bit rude here, but it sounds to me like you've never used this move on purpose for recovering, could you please try it before you bash me.
Why would he have to try it for recovery?
Let us look at it this way.

1.Din's fire released immediately results in a very small boost.
2.Most opponents wil just rush her up close and considering that Din's fire has poor priority, they can easily break through and hit you./
3. holding it longer would only send DIn's fire out further, so unless the opponent was much farther awat I nnoy see as to it being beneficial.
4. there are other side B's that get a much larger boost or are less vulnerable. I doubt it would change anything.

Airgemini

Chansey
Safari Zone. Shiny, and holding a Lucky Egg.
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
Sorry if Icould you please try it before you bash me.
Why would you want to recover with this move in the first place?? I

t leaves you more open, makes you extremelly vulnerable since you fall so slow, has hardly any noticable horizontal distance, no invincibility frames, leaves you in a helpless state to make you even more vulnerable, and you can even sweetspot the edge accurately because it takes about 1-2 seconds after the move in order for you to grab an edge.
I wasnt bashing, I was proving a point. Din's Fire is almost useless for recovery compared to Farore's Wind.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
I would actually say that Din's Fair IS worthless for recovery. To the point I'd say worse then Quick Draw. At least with Quick Draw you actually have to bother with jumping in front of Ike. DF gives a VERY minimal post horizontally (yes, I have tried to use it as a recovery move.) and leaves you in a painfully bad free fall in exchange for a minimal chance of hitting the opponent to tack on minimal amount of damage. I'd use Farore's Wind over this any day. At least I'm not open the ENTIRE time I use FW, and I actually get some distance and unpredictability to boot.

Saying DF is a good recovery move, or even usable is flat out lying. It's quite possibly the worse Side B you can classify as a recovery move. I'm having trouble thinking of anything else that's worse but still actually moves you towards the stage.

B!squick

Smash Master
I always thought the free fall that Din puts you in was done to piss off the people who accidentally aim their Farore's too fast.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
I would actually say that Din's Fair IS worthless for recovery. To the point I'd say worse then Quick Draw. At least with Quick Draw you actually have to bother with jumping in front of Ike. DF gives a VERY minimal post horizontally (yes, I have tried to use it as a recovery move.) and leaves you in a painfully bad free fall in exchange for a minimal chance of hitting the opponent to tack on minimal amount of damage. I'd use Farore's Wind over this any day. At least I'm not open the ENTIRE time I use FW, and I actually get some distance and unpredictability to boot.

Saying DF is a good recovery move, or even usable is flat out lying. It's quite possibly the worse Side B you can classify as a recovery move. I'm having trouble thinking of anything else that's worse but still actually moves you towards the stage.
It does seem to affect momentum to put it as the worst side-B, but still a side-b recovery.

However I'd use up-B any day over it, and only use it by accident. :laugh:

CJTHeroofTime

Smash Lord
Character- ROB

I figured I would just add to your pros/cons list
Here's what you have
Pro's of recovery:

* Gains the longest distance (not including those with glides)
* Does not leave in freefall
* Can attack out of
* Can be wavebounced to recover quickly from a failed gimp

Con's of recovery:

* Can't air-dodge
* Fuel can run out leaving ROB helpless even if hit again.
Pros:
-After ROB attacks out of his up-b, you can continue holding up or the b-button for an extra boost mid-attack
-If you save your double jump, you can use it after attacking out of your up-b.
-(slightly off topic, but still a pro) If you use your up-b with a gyro in your hand, you can use an aerial without throwing the gyro. (mindgames!)
-ROB can be footstooled during his up-b without the footstool animation and without losing momentum.
-RIDICULOUSLY easy to sweetspot ledge with
-Can travel under most stages with ease (to avoid ledgeguarders).

Cons
-First few frames after initiating the up-b(I don't know how many), ROB cannot do anything. His motion is constant and predictable, and he can't attack. This is the biggest weak spot in his Up-B.

-Just to clarify, ROB can't air dodge directly out of his up-b, but he can air-dodge after performing an aerial. If ROB performs an aerial with the extra boost during his attack, then it is almost as if he is air-dodging from his up-b.

The Milk Monster

Smash Champion
A con for Sonic's recovery is Air Tripping.
If you hit solid ground before beginning your tumble animation, the next time you go airborne you will be in the tumble animation, unable to do anything.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
A con for Sonic's recovery is Air Tripping.
If you hit solid ground before beginning your tumble animation, the next time you go airborne you will be in the tumble animation, unable to do anything.
If you hit solid ground before you can perform an aerial then you can air trip.
Which will not happen at all because it is soooo easily avoided especially when its invincible 1/3rd of the way up.
So why would Sonic be in such a position to air trip?

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Well, I guess as the votes are against me, I like to use it at times but I can see many more people are against it. However, I think we did all agree that the move DOES give you a little movement, although seldom to never it being used by most people. So since it DOES give movement, it should go on the list, but perhaps pseudo bottom I can see?

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
[*]The boosts obtained from this move get lower and lower the more you use it without touching the ground.
Actually, you can regain momentum by pausing in-between Egg Tosses.

[*]Makes recovery a bit predictable.
I disagree with this, too. Yoshi can recover from literally any direction at any time. He can stall his way back or return immediately, he can recover low, medium or high, and fight back as he's doing it. This coupled with the fact that a lot of people still don't realize that Yoshi can Egg Toss double-jump makes him a challenge to intercept.

[*]Cannot sweetspot ledge.
Actually, there's a Yoshi AT dedicated ENTIRELY to sweet-spotting the ledge using Egg Toss, so, I'm not sure this is true, either.

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
A rank
Luigi Side B Recovery: Green Missile

Pro's of recovery:
  • Long horizontal recovery distance when charged or missfired.
  • Can be used multiple times.
  • Will autosweetspot the ledge.
  • Cancels horizontal momentum.
  • Cancels projectiles.
  • Knocks off ledgeguarders with decent priority and has a high probability of stagespiking.
  • Missfires don't require the player to charge at all.
  • Missfires will KO any edguarders or gimpers in its path.

Con's of recovery:
  • Missfires will often send you helplessly sliding on the stage floor when trying to sweetspot.
  • Simple projectiles will stop the horizontal momentum.
  • If half charged, it can make Luigi's head get stuck in a wall, making him vulnerable.

A rank
Luigi Down B Recovery: Luigi Cyclone

Note: If we are to assume it's used perfectly/correctly, then the Rising Cyclone is used without a jump and relies solely on the speed of the player's finger. As such, "needs to jump to gain vertical height," doesn't exist and would not be a con.

Pro's of recovery:
  • Huge and fast vertical recovery distance (from bottom blast zone to ledge of Final Destination).
  • Can be re-used if interrupted in the middle of the Cyclone.
  • Lot's of air control during the recovery.
  • High priority and slightly extended hitboxes.
  • High probability of stagespiking ledgeguarders.
  • High probability of gimping most characters that chase below the stage.

Con's of recovery:
  • Vulnerable to disjointed hitboxes.
  • Does not sweetspot the ledge.
  • Can only be used to rise only once if it isn't interrupted.
  • Easily interrupted by projectiles.

The simple truth is, most non-expert Luigis can't properly recover and they become predictable. The fact that people think the Rising Cyclone can only be used once is proof of this. It gives the rest of us and Luigi a bad name. Luigi is renound for having great recoveries and yet still gimpable. It's not the fault of the recoveries (which are great with the exception of Up-B), but the fault of Luigi's slow general horizontal airspeed itself and his short range aerials that make him gimpable.

EDIT: Grammar fixes.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
:sonic:
Character: Sonic

Pro's of recovery:
  • faster than normal jump
  • covers longer distance than normal second jump
  • any special including spring can be used after or cancel it before finishing
  • looks cool

Con's of recovery:
  • Uses second jump so if already used most likely results in a SD(SD... Spin Dash.... Self-Destruct.... get it?)
  • If abused becomes predictable and easily punished/spiked

Which recovery:
Spin-Shot (side B > timed jump cancel)

cause.... nothing else is there and it's no where near as good as gliding / floating

Browny

Smash Hater
i already went into massive detail about sonics side b dnes :p ill find it...
now if only Havok/Susa/whatever he calls himself is here to update it lol

----

actually maybe i didnt...

anyway you could afford to explain it a bit more lol

pro: results in fastest horizontal airspeed in the game outside of a missfire, rollout and space animals illusions afaik
Trajectory is a very wide ellipse, extremely difficult to punish when the Sonic can delay the spinshot to jump over any attempted edgeguard

DZhou

Smash Journeyman
i think MK's glide is faster than Pit's. He also has side-B recovery.

Top Bottom