• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Raziek's Robin Research Room & Repository (Moveset, Mechanics & Frame Data!)

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Just to be sure, have you read through the OP thoroughly?

I've posted most of this information already, so I'm just unsure if you're making these as 'supplemental material' or for content on your own channel, or what.
Just putting it in video form. I know you guys know what you need to know but strangely some people are still unaware of the thoron+.

Dont hurt me.

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
So apparently you can cancel your landing lag of an aerial or air dodge with an Item throw. I know Peach and Diddy and Tink can do it.
@ Raziek Raziek could you test this with robin's tome and sword? do a z-drop> aerial to catch it then throw during landing lag.
video reference for peach:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Frame data already? Jesus.

Props. Wouldn't have guessed Robin has a 9 frame standing grab. I guess that means some characters with low lag aerials and fast Jabs can rush him down.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Just thought I'd post this here too.
If anyone cares, Robin has special quotes against Lucina.
:4robinm::Lucina, I hope I didn't hurt you.
:4robinf::How can you protect Chrom if you can't protect yourself?
I think Sakurai's riding the Robin/Lucina ship.
This is for the English version.

IceAnt573

Smash Journeyman
Is the ZSS infinite still there after the patch? I've heard conflicting statements about it.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I'm currently 90% certain this patch was just given an announcement yesterday, but was otherwise available/sent out over a week ago along with Japan's patch.
(people with early NoA/NoE versions were able to play online fine)

As there are no region lock outs for playing with each other, there is no way that this "patch" is actually anything other than Peach auto-ban bug removed, as Japan has not received any new patches (and NoA/NoE were able to get that same patch).

Don't get excited. NoA are just being excruciatingly lazy + ambiguous (lying) about the relevance of it. They should've said "online experiences", as that is all that we know that's been changed.

Last edited:

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
Robin is very... meh. For all the attention being paid to him/her, I don't really get it. A lot of his moves seemed painfully slow. Some had good effects like Nosferatu and his/her projectile seemed alright but... for how many rules he/she breaks as a character, a lot of characters can just rush and beat the piss out of him/her.

JaceComix

Smash Apprentice
Question about the OP. Specifically Tome regeneration.
Am I reading this correctly? The tome takes longer to regenerate based on what move destroys it?

It sounds a bit strange, so I just wanted to confirm.

Other than that, loving Robin and his/her mechanics. :D

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
There's not one tome, there's 4. One for each special move. Each has their own respawn timer.

Eekcast

Smash Rookie
Robin has a DACUS youtube.com/watch?v=oZz8GjdDV9Q

Performing them without a C Stick is pretty difficult though unless you're extremely quick. I sort of just dash and return to neutral, then hit a to dash attack and up a really quickly (this isn't optimal).

DiverseStyle

Smash Cadet
Hi there, I was wondering from the player experience here what is the best way to approach with Robin? Since the dash Attack is terrible and Nair is not as good of an option as I would hope... I heard that Arcfire/Firewall is a good tool, but what about which aerial would be best for approaching since I like that style of approaching more.

slimjim

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FS-slimjim
3DS FC
4296-3887-2717
Hi there, I was wondering from the player experience here what is the best way to approach with Robin? Since the dash Attack is terrible and Nair is not as good of an option as I would hope... I heard that Arcfire/Firewall is a good tool, but what about which aerial would be best for approaching since I like that style of approaching more.
In essence, you shouldn't really be approaching without a tome in hand to throw. We have so many zoning tools we shouldn't be approaching all that often. If you must however, do some tome mixups with dashing shield/grab/spotdodge/z-drop bairs.

Last edited:

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I wouldn't say that. 'Never approach' is almost always an exaggeration.

Stage control is important, and Robin can control a lot of space with LS aerials and Nair. Typically I'll use a dash-shield as my approach, focusing on using our 4-frame jab to get them off the ground (fire ender).

Once you have them off the ground, either start charging up Thoron or get ready to juggle. LS Uair, LSBair, LSfair should all give people a really hard time landing.

I'm also a big fan of short-hop Fire Wall (Arcfire3) as an approach against some characters, that move controls space exceptionally well, you just have to be in the right area to shoot it.

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
Robin seems like a pretty defensive character

I've had success in getting the opponent to come to me, by charging Thoron / throwing ElFire and simply punishing them with throws, smashes or jabs. I haven't much success with short hopped aerials (his short jump is too damn high) but when they're at high %, they're ripe for the picking. Shielding is pretty important with this character.

Did I mention Thoron was good? Seriously, this move is godlike. Oh and landing a Nosferatu when you have a stock lead completely demoralizes the opponent, haha.

Last edited:

DiverseStyle

Smash Cadet
Thank-you, this was all very helpful! I did not want to be too dependent on zoning with Fire Wall so you all gave me some good things to try!

Paul the Octopus

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4012-4913-3001
Does Robin have any guaranteed combos whatsoever?

I've only seen side b into dash attack or thoron.

Doroco

Smash Cadet
Through our knowledge combined we will stomp all the little macs.

Ive found that if you react quickly you can get arc fire to combo into a levin sword f-air which is a good way to kill people

also that levin sword f-air can combo into itself at certain %'s which is also useful

Tips for escaping pressure are also useful!

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Through our knowledge combined we will stomp all the little macs.

Ive found that if you react quickly you can get arc fire to combo into a levin sword f-air which is a good way to kill people

also that levin sword f-air can combo into itself at certain %'s which is also useful

Tips for escaping pressure are also useful!
@ D Doroco : I merged your thread into the gameplay/mechanics guide thread, as it's likely the most appropriate place to share findings/strategy.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Archthunder feels like it combos if you're close enough when it connects. Grab at close range when they're caught in it is pretty easy.

Last edited:

Doroco

Smash Cadet
what do you mean when you say elwind 3, isnt there only 1 elwind?

Last edited:

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
Ive got something im working on in regards to OoS options. Ill post it as a thread and if you abhor it/want to sticky it/want to tell me omg wurst rawbin ever go home please feel free to.

Edit: Heres the thread for the TL;DR folks out there. Any suggestions to changes or any sort of fixes would be much obliged. Keep in mind this guide is all from the perspective of just being out of grab range since thats where Robin seems to struggle with punishing options

http://smashboards.com/threads/out-of-shield-options-what-works-when.371524/

Last edited:

Lukred

Smash Rookie
Had the game enough to play around with robin for a bit now. As im sure some of you may know you can pick up robins weapons after they have deteriorated, they're surprisingly good to add pressure as they can be thrown quickly and kill around 150-200%. Best ways to pick up an item after its been used is to either short hop backwards slightly and air dodge to capture it mid air, or to let it come down behind you and then dash attack whilst it almost hits the ground or slightly after it bounces. If your close to an opponent when you throw one of them and they shield it, it is possible to dash attack at them and simultaneously pick up the item before it hits the ground :p

gotta get the most of that limited arsenal.

Pheno

Smash Rookie
NNID
GrieferPheno
3DS FC
2277-7164-2088
Not sure if this is where I should go to make a contribution but I noticed that during Elwind 1, not only does the hand from the first elwind spike, but if you time it right and face the right way, 2nd elwind can work as a stage spike.

Notice how if you recover to the stage from the right (Glide left towards the stage) and you use elwind, the 2nd elwind will launch the opponent at about a 50-40 degree angle.

Now take this and reverse positions, say the opponent is recovering vertically to the stage. Not only could you try to walk off Elwind to spike, if it's a stage like Battlefield or FD rainbow road, the 2nd Elwind will send the opponent in a 140-130 degree angle towards the stage if you miss the initial spike, resulting in a stage spike. (Will not work on opponents like D3 who have some super armor on recovery)

Pheno

Smash Rookie
NNID
GrieferPheno
3DS FC
2277-7164-2088
Had the game enough to play around with robin for a bit now. As im sure some of you may know you can pick up robins weapons after they have deteriorated, they're surprisingly good to add pressure as they can be thrown quickly and kill around 150-200%. Best ways to pick up an item after its been used is to either short hop backwards slightly and air dodge to capture it mid air, or to let it come down behind you and then dash attack whilst it almost hits the ground or slightly after it bounces. If your close to an opponent when you throw one of them and they shield it, it is possible to dash attack at them and simultaneously pick up the item before it hits the ground :p

gotta get the most of that limited arsenal.
Lol I was just experimenting with this. (Offensive diddy mindset applied to robin)
I like to SH down throw and nair or fair to recatch for some mind game/style points. Either that or if someone approaches, SH down throw to LS bair.

MindlessFire

Smash Apprentice
So far, Nairo seems to be the best Robin player seeing how he came in 2nd all the way from Losers in the Oct 4, 2014 KTAR X Smash 3DS and his gameplay has vastly improved over the last couple of weeks. Then again, he's probably the only profession SSB player that still mains Robin while everyone else has pretty much given up on Robin.

Last edited:

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
Robin is one of the few characters who gains a significant boost in distance when executing the roll cancel grab. This bodes well for us, as his/her dash grab was underwhelming.

"I'm always 3 steps ahead."

Rizen

Smash Legend
The OP was very detailed! Great work!
How did you get the specific frame data? Can you get that for other characters like Link or link your source? Thanks.

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
Robin is one of the few characters who gains a significant boost in distance when executing the roll cancel grab. This bodes well for us, as his/her dash grab was underwhelming.

"I'm always 3 steps ahead."
This is great to hear. I found myself having very few reasons to grab due to its poor range and long recovery on whiff. Thanks for the heads up. :)

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
So far, Nairo seems to be the best Robin player seeing how he came in 2nd all the way from Losers in the Oct 4, 2014 KTAR X Smash 3DS and his gameplay has vastly improved over the last couple of weeks. Then again, he's probably the only profession SSB player that still mains Robin while everyone else has pretty much given up on Robin.
Wait, but why has everyone given up on him?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Wait, but why has everyone given up on him?
Maybe because other characters "feel" better than Robin and first impressions have led to professional players not liking Robin that much, instead they're focusing on the characters who "appear" to be better at first glance.

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
Robin requires patience and careful strategic play. Most people don't want to play characters who require patience and who don't have super safe approach options that allow them to play offensively at will. :p

xOmniSoul

Smash Rookie
Robin requires patience and careful strategic play. Most people don't want to play characters who require patience and who don't have super safe approach options that allow them to play offensively at will. :p
This is definitely why I gravitated towards Robin the moment I saw his move set. It's a great combination of spacing and aggression. Instead of the usual throwing out moves blindly and wiffing because they're safe, Robin has the arsenal to be more 'tactical' (pun intended) with his play. It's really refreshing!

Doroco

Smash Cadet
I picked robin because magic sounded cool, you can make it a female robin, he/she has good colour swaps, and when i realized every lightning hit had freeze frames it was beautiful

jrricky

Smash Cadet
I like Robin but I have a really hard time KOing with him. The 2 KO moves Fsmash and Dsmash come out really slow so characters block or dodge. I've played matches where I can't even kill a character at 200%. Any tips?

Top Bottom