• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Mii Costume: Madeline

Chance: 5%
Celeste has performed extremely well in both reviews and sales. I feel like it's definitely caught Nintendo's attention enough for it to give Madeline the costume treatment. However it's been a long time since we last got an indie costume, that being the Cuphead costume all the way back when Byleth released. I feel like we might not be seeing many other indie/deluxe costumes outside of maybe Shovel Knight who I definitely think will get the Bomberman treatment. Even after Shovel Knight, I feel like the only other possible slot may be filled by another indie like Hollow Knight instead.

Want: 70%
Celeste is a really amazing game that everyone here should play. In addition to being a fun platformer, it also tackles heavy themes like depression and anxiety. As for Madeline herself, she can't really work as an actual fighter so I think she'd be better off appearing as a costume. Plus I'd be down for a Celeste track releasing alongside her costume. Score would be higher though I'd prefer if a lot of other indies get costume'd before her, since they could make more wacky/crazy costumes like Sans and Cuphead.

-----

TF2 rep chance prediction: 2.32%

Nominations:
Curly as Quote's alt/echo x10

Lyncario

Smash Ace
MadeMii

Chances: 7%

To make this clear, Madeline is not getting in as the first indie rep, nope. While Celeste is pretty popular, especialy in the speedrun comunity (being at one point the second most speedrunned game behind only Mario 64, but then Dream, and since then it dropped to 5th or 6th place depending if you count Minecraft Bedrock edition as different from Java edition, but this placement is still great), and is popular in Switch, there's also like no chances of Medline being in as a fighter, but I feel like Madeline could get Mii'ed. However, there's also how the only "deluxe" miis we got are Sans and Cuphead, despite how Sans started deluxe miis with Banjo, who is the dlc fighter 3, and we're currently on dlc fighter 9 with Pyra and Mythra, meainng only a third of the dlc mii waves got a deluxe mii, and even then it was only in wave 1, so I'm not too optimistic about it, though it could still happen, even if I do'nt find the possibility too likely.

Want: 90%

Celeste is an amazing game, so seeing it represented with a Madeline mii in Smash would be amazing, not only that but Madeline is also a cute cinamon bun that I love and want to protect, though while using her to fight goes against that, it would still be something amazing to do! And also, a smashified version of one of the tracks (confronting myself comes to mind) would be really cool to have. And really, if you haven't, I really reccomand to play Celeste. It's on the hard side of games, making it not for everyone, but it's really great and woth the effort, especialy with the stroy it tells, and how well it tells it, with all the characters being just relatable and likable. Really one of the best platformers I played.

Predictions

TF2 rep: 5.8%

Nominations

Akira Howard/Astral Chain MC x10

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Madeline costume

Chance: 25%

Celeste is a critically acclaimed game that won several awards and is one of those standout indie games in recent memory. Could it get a costume? Absolutely. From what I understand, Madeline would be more suitable for a costume and if other indie characters like Cuphead can get a costume, so can Madeline. Honestly I think it's just a gamble whether or not Nintendo would choose Celeste to be featured in a costume wave since there are plenty of other candidates that could get the costume treatment. But they have good reasons to go for this.

Want: Abstain

I haven't played Celeste myself though reading through the want scores did get me intrigued. As someone who deals with anxiety, it sounds like there is something for me in this game so I might try it out in the future.

Prediction: TF2 rep - 5%

Noms: Excitebiker x10

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i think i know which character we're talking about but im gonna abstain. though i would like to note that we havent got any indy costumes since the last pass but beyond that i have no idea how well received celeste is to give it a proper rating.

nom grunty x5

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Madeline Mii

Chance: 5% -
I was thinking about this earlier myself, but like a lot of others have mentioned, confidence has definitely waned over time. If we were rating her coming off of the heels of Cuphead, she (or a similar character like Hollow Knight) would've rated much higher (though I don't see how she could fit the deluxe mascot look. She'd look kinda silly as a static mii head). Though like Cuphead and Undertale, her game is popular worldwide and another Western-made indie well-liked in Japan, so I can see where a lot of that initial confidence came from. Honestly it's up in the air at this point. I think the Mii indie parade has finally wrapped up, though I'm definitely gonna leave some percentage points in there. She still has her merits, along with precedence on her side!

Want: 50% - Eh, never played Celeste myself so I don't really have an attachment to her. But I wouldn't have a problem if they made her costume look good. A lot of people here liked her game and it makes me happy to see people happy! She certainly earned representation of some kind, and the Nintendo representation definitely helps in my book. Granted, it's only a couple of years old so I want to see how it stands the test of time in the long run, but based on current trends nearly three years later I don't think it's gonna wane any time soon. Plus her being a Mii means less competition for Quote, which is also a plus!

Nominations:
Concept: Miles Edgeworth as Phoenix Wright's alt/echo x5
[Rerate] Louie x5

Predictions:
TF2 rep - 26.93% - Expecting some extreme overrates with this one! Remember, company relations are important for third party characters.

Last edited:

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Madeline Mii Costume

Chance: 5%. Quite a bit of characters including Sans, Vault Boy, Cuphead, Travis and recently Arthur has gotten Mii Costumes, and it seems that a Madeline Mii Costume seems a bit plausible. But there is also a chance that Madeline could be playable, so it might by a bit of a draw here.

Want: 50%. A Madeleine Mii Costume would be a great Mii Costume choice, and she will be just as fun as all the rest of the Mii Costumes. But overall, while Madeline would be a fun Mii Costume, she would also be a fun fighter.

Prediction: TF2 rep: 5%

Noms: 5 for Boss: Rayquaza

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
For the first time in a while im going to abstain because i know i wont have time to do this rating

Predictions
TF2 rep - 18%

Noms
Far Cry rep x10

Louie G.

Smash Hero
MADELINE COSTUME

CHANCE: 5%

It's possible, but I think a lot of discussion surrounding indie costumes came from the precedent Sans and Cuphead set, something that got a lot of people super excited which hasn't been acted on much since. Celeste is one of the more successful indie games to come out of the last few years, but I hesitate to say its popularity competes with either of those two. A benefit these characters had was Sakurai's own blessing - he had talked about his love for those games, and I wouldn't be surprised if he went out to get them involved on his own volition. Madeline, as far as I know, doesn't have this going for her.

Not to say that's the only reason those two made it though, they still had the cred in their own right. I'd argue Celeste has enough... although I'm not sure how well it did in Japan. What makes Madeline particularly difficult to imagine as a costume is simply that she doesn't lend herself to it quite as well. Sans and Cuphead were perfect little mascot suits, and I don't think Madeline's costume would succeed in the same way. It's kind of hard to call Mii Costumes otherwise - maybe she will get one and maybe she won't, but she doesn't really lend such obvious Mii Fighter potential. I think Celeste would be better off appearing as a spirit event.

WANT: 80%
I would like Celeste to get some love, it's a great game and Madeline is a great character. I dunno if I'd feel that motivated to buy the costume though, unless it came with one of Celeste's fantastic songs in tow. I suppose her poofy jacket is kinda cute, so maybe I would buy it anyway.

TF2: 9.25% (Probably some way too high ratings, tbh)

NOMINATION:
TAILS
x20

Last edited:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
The jumping girl from platform masterpiece...

Chance: 15%

I think she and Knight have the best chance to get Mii costumes within Indie genre. While Celeste is nowhere close to Undertale or Cuphead, it's still famous and critically acclaimed for indie. Sakurai must've played this game. So, I believe he can voice out his choice in Mii selection. Still, even Mii section is filled competition. There is obviously Knight from Hollow Knight. As you can see with Bomberman, Shovel Knight can also get Mii costume. Then, there are Lloyd and costumes related to fighters. But, there may be hope if Nintendo releases individual Mii costume wave.

Want: 100%

Celeste is one of the best platformers ever. Even that may sound underselling. It deserves more attention, and Smash would be a good way to get more attention to gamers who never heard of this game. It has great soundtrack and fantastic level design. It has surprisingly good story and character development. You simply can't ask for more... besides more levels. Since playable character is very unlikely, Mii costume would still be nice recognition. This is one of those games that I think people should at least watch through playthrough if they are not good at platform games.

Nom: 3rd party company gets more than one fighter in the same pass x 10

Yiptap

Smash Lord
Madeline Mii Costume
Chance: 30%
From seeing Cuphead's Mii costume, I've realized the Nintendo wants to push the recent indie titles. I don't think that Among Us would be made into a Mii costume, so I think that if we were to get an indie Mii Fighter, it would be Zagreus from Hades. Hades got its own segment in the Nintendo direct, so he feels the most likely. But Madeline isn't completely out of the running. That's....pretty much all I have to say on the topic.

Want: 50%
I wanna play Celeste, I really do. But for the time being, I haven't played Celeste yet, so I don't have a personal attachment to the character. I would prefer Quote, The Knight, or Hat Kid as the next indie Mii, but it's not like I would dislike Madeline's inclusion. I also really like her design, so she's got bonus points from me. The visuals in Celeste look stunning, so I'm very intrigued. Overall, Madeline wouldn't be too bad as a Mii costume. As a fighter, I would give her a 0%, because other indie characters deserve to be in before her (in my opinion).

TF2 rep: 6.46%

Noms: Meat Boy x5

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
Oop I've missed the last MANY rounds. Oh well lol.

Miideline haha rimshot

CHANCE - 25%
Yeah this could totally happen for sure. I think Celeste was even popular in Japan a bit? It was among the first wave of big indie titles on the switch, among the likes of Snipperclips, which actually is represented in Smash. (I know Snipperclips is only like half indie but it definitely started that way.) Considering how much Nintendo loves indies, it doesn't seem like the longest shot. However, my score is still only 25%. Hate to say it, but I'm kinda pessimistic on more indie Mii fighter costumes. The only two we got that came with songs and everything were in quick succession last winter. There's a big chance that it was just a one time thing Nintendo did in the 2019 winter to promote their indie scene. Doesn't that seem like a super Nintendo thing to do? But well maybe the pandemic messed up some communication lanes, so this is still possible.

WANT - 50%
Wanna here something else I hate to say? I don't like Celeste. In fact I don't even like its highly-praised soundtrack. And honestly it's a dang shame. I feel sad that I didn't click with that game, but I just really didn't. I normally LOVE these classic-style, tough-as-nails, "Nintendo hard" platformers that just throw challenge after challenge your way with no frills other than pure distilled gameplay. Other games in this style have captured my attention easily and for hours at a time, dating all the way back to stuff like VVVVVV. And yet... Celeste got boring. Not terrible, not even really bad. But I got bored of the gameplay loop way more easily than I normally do. Maybe I should pick it up again to appreciate it more because all my friends say it's the dopest thing ever. But for now I can't in good faith recommend it to others when it just bored me. But hey, what does that matter for a Mii costume right? Indie studios deserve the representation, and I'll always root for more content from unrepresented games in Smash. New stuff is the coolest. I'd buy this costume just to have it, even if many many other indie games would be first on my priority list.

Predictions: Team Fortress 2 rep 7.5%

Nominations: New Zelda character x10

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
The character most people would refer to as "Celeste"

Chance: 5%
After the one-two punch of Sans and Cuphead we stopped getting indie Mii Costumes. While I'm expecting them to start again sometime (they have to, right?), there are only two slots left. Unless we get an indie character I don't think we'll get more than one indie Mii per pack. So then the question becomes, does Celeste get priority over other games? I don't think so. It was well received a while back, but it only sold a million copies and didn't seem to get the level of fandom that other indie games have. I don't see it trumping the likes of, say, Shovel Knight or Cave Story. And there's another thing: Madeline's design doesn't translate well to a Mii Costume. It'd just be, what, a red wig and a blue parka? That's kinda boring. I guess Arthur's costume proves you don't need to be that unique to get Mii'd (though he had promotion on his side) but it's still a hit.

Want: abstain
I don't care about Celeste, one way or the other. If her fans would like it, then sure, whatever, it's their 75 cents and it's not like I'm hoping any character gets a Mii so there wouldn't be "stolen" or "wasted" slots or whatever. If it were a character I'd be way more reluctant but this is nothing.

Noms: Agent 47 x10
TF2 prediction: 27.61% (I get the feeling that many are going to overrate this)

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Madeleine

It's certainly possible, Celeste is a moderately popular indie title and we've seen other indies get Mii Fighters before. The series does certainly fit the mold of Mii Fighter outfit in terms of being included in Smash.

Celeste is one of my favorite indie titles of all time, it's difficult for sure, but I had a great load of fun with it. It really helped me get out of a dark place in my life and I'll forever hold treasured memories of it as a result. Of course I'd love to see it represented in Smash.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Madeleine

It's certainly possible, Celeste is a moderately popular indie title and we've seen other indies get Mii Fighters before. The series does certainly fit the mold of Mii Fighter outfit in terms of being included in Smash.

Celeste is one of my favorite indie titles of all time, it's difficult for sure, but I had a great load of fun with it. It really helped me get out of a dark place in my life and I'll forever hold treasured memories of it as a result. Of course I'd love to see it represented in Smash.
Profile pic related, I see :4pacman:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Concept: A 3rd party company gets more than one fighter in the same pass x360
Agent 47 x355
Excitebiker x350
Worms x335
Zagreus x305
Concept: Curly as Quote's alt/Echo x285
Concept: Far Cry rep x284

300 - 251

Billy & Jimmy Lee x270
Mike Haggar x265

250 - 201

Concept: Disgaea rep x240
[Rerate] Concept: League of Legends rep x232
Rallen (Spectrobes) x225
Peppino (Pizza Tower) x217
Concept: Miles Edgeworth as Phoenix Wright's Alt/Echo x210
Tetra x205

200 - 151

[Rerate] Carmen Sandiego x200
Estelle Bright x185
Concept: Skullgirls rep x174
Kaede Akamatsu x170
Trevor Philips x155

150 - 101

Beatrice (Umineko) x145
Riptor x140
Boss: Rayquaza x140
Senator Armstrong x140
Grunty (Banjo-Kazooie) x140
Stage: Bowser's Castle x137
Mii Costume: Monika x135

Concept: A BioShock protagonist x131
Concept: From Software rep x130
Ryza (Atelier) x130
Boss: Ender Dragon x123
Mii Costume: Alex Kidd x118
D.Va x115
Mii Costume: 2B x110
Fulgore x10

100 - 51

Stage: Tetris x100
Giygas x90
Echo (Bowser) x90

Sackboy x90
[Rerate] Louie x85
Junpei (Zero Escape) x81
Concept: Darksiders rep x80
Concept: More ATs as one new item x75
Dwight Fairfield (Dead by Daylight) x75
Concept: Rocket League rep x75
[Rerate] Concept: New Zelda character x70
Echo (Olimar) x66
Concept: SNES-era Final Fantasy rep x65

Meat Boy x65
Ghirahim x60
[Rerate] Zhao Yun x60
Gooigi x55
Vi (Bug Fables) x55
Echo: Zeraora (Lucario) x55
[Rerate] Jin Kazama x55
Magolor x55
Jin Sakai x55

50 - 25

Bill Rizer x50
[Rerate] Officer Howard x50
Legends Trainer x50
Demi-Fiend x45
Garchomp x45
[Rerate] Agumon x40
Mii Costume: Zagreus x40
Filia (Skullgirls) x31
Concept: Large and Normal Final Destination made into separate stages x25

Gunvolt x25

Under 25

Regigigas x20
[Rerate] Metal Sonic x20
Concept: Danganronpa protagonist x20
Yarn Yoshi x15
[Rerate] Shovel Knight x15

[Rerate] Crash Bandicoot x15
Tetris x10
Slash Kamei (Snowboard Kids) x10
[Rerate] Yuri Lowell x10
Jesse (Control) x10
Infernape x10

[Rerate] Gex x10
[Rerate] Concept: Echo Fighters Pass x10
Corvo Attano x10
[Rerate] Brian x7
Concept: Rocket League content x5
[Rerate] Thrall x5
[Rerate] Lara Croft x5
Stage: Tetris 99 x5
Concept: Raizing shmup rep x5
Donbe and Hikari x5
Soma Cruz x5
Concept: KOS-MOS with T-elos alt x5
[Rerate] Master Hand x5
Pyramid Head x5
[Rerate] Elma x5

Octoling x5
Firebrand x1

Challenger approaching! It's Corvo Attano, with 10 noms!

BlueEyedGrimmbat

Smash Apprentice
Abstaining with Madeline Mii. Celeste looks and sounds fun, but unfortunately I barely know anything about it, certainly not enough to rate Madeline, even as a Mii.

Plus I still haven't finished Hollow Knight...

Noms: Corvo Attano x5

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I'm realizing that A: I haven't done a writeup in months, and B: Not everyone is familiar with Celeste. Might as well do a quick writeup.
Madeline.png

Celeste is an indie 2D platformer released in 2017 to critical acclaim. It features simple controls and tight, challenging platforming sublevels, which collectively make up a larger Chapter. There are two main abilities: The standard jump, and an eight-way dash in the inputted direction. Madeline can also cling to ledges and climb up structures. That's about it for Maddy's moves; Most of the depth of the game comes from mastering those simple techniques and applying them to various hazards and power-ups.

Story-wise, the game details Madeline's attempt to climb the titular Celeste Mountain, facing the mountain's various natural obstacles. However, she must also content with her own personal issues; She suffers from depression and anxiety, which the mountain takes and gives form, creating a shadowy doppelganger named Badeline (Though only outside the game; Madeline's name can be customized, so her dark side's just called "Part of You" in-game).

Due to the simplicity of Celeste's controls, it's a bit tricky to make a straight translation of Celeste's mechanics. However, I believe we can spin something out of the various hazards and power-ups, of which there's a lot of. In addition, there's also Badeline to take into account; The two make peace with each other and team up, and evidenced by them teaming up as guest fighters in Towerfall, the devs aren't afraid of spoiling that. Basically, we can put Celeste itself in Smash and/or give Madeline a Stand.

Yeah, that was a quick one. Celeste is short and simple, so there isn't as much lore/history to dump here. Anyways, here's the music.
Also a remix to go with the official compositions

And while we're at it, here's a taste of what the gameplay is like, plus an extra dash of c o m e d y

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
I'm realizing that A: I haven't done a writeup in months, and B: Not everyone is familiar with Celeste. Might as well do a quick writeup.
View attachment 307437
Celeste is an indie 2D platformer released in 2017 to critical acclaim. It features simple controls and tight, challenging platforming sublevels, which collectively make up a larger Chapter. There are two main abilities: The standard jump, and an eight-way dash in the inputted direction. Madeline can also cling to ledges and climb up structures. That's about it for Maddy's moves; Most of the depth of the game comes from mastering those simple techniques and applying them to various hazards and power-ups.

Story-wise, the game details Madeline's attempt to climb the titular Celeste Mountain, facing the mountain's various natural obstacles. However, she must also content with her own personal issues; She suffers from depression and anxiety, which the mountain takes and gives form, creating a shadowy doppelganger named Badeline (Though only outside the game; Madeline's name can be customized, so her dark side's just called "Part of You" in-game).

Due to the simplicity of Celeste's controls, it's a bit tricky to make a straight translation of Celeste's mechanics. However, I believe we can spin something out of the various hazards and power-ups, of which there's a lot of. In addition, there's also Badeline to take into account; The two make peace with each other and team up, and evidenced by them teaming up as guest fighters in Towerfall, the devs aren't afraid of spoiling that. Basically, we can put Celeste itself in Smash and/or give Madeline a Stand.

Yeah, that was a quick one. Celeste is short and simple, so there isn't as much lore/history to dump here. Anyways, here's the music.
Also a remix to go with the official compositions

And while we're at it, here's a taste of what the gameplay is like, plus an extra dash of c o m e d y
Good write-up! Though we're rating a Mii Costume, so her moveset potential technically isn't relevant here.

Inue Houji

Purplish Wig
Madeline Mii(Celeste)
Abstain for now, might write something later if there's still time.

Predictions
TF2 rep: 7.1%

Nominations
Rallen x5

ShotoStar

Smash Cadet
Madeline Mii Costume (Celeste):

Chance: 20%
Hmm... Peep this one. Like really, peep this one. I'm a bit conflicted but I think it's plausible.

....yet I still have this weird vibe about a Madeline mii costume, I wouldn't be opposed to it but. It's a gut feeling like it just won't happen. Grounded in actual reality and not y'know gut-feelings though I think while Nintendo has advertised Celeste, there's been trailers and promotion from them, I don't think Nintendo has given Celeste as much of a push as Undertale or Cuphead.

Undertale was like this big thing for it appearing on a Nintendo Platform since well, It's Undertale and Cuphead was used as the "one last thing" in one of the Indie Directs I believe and those "one last thing" reveals usually indicate that Nintendo views it as a big reveal which is saved for last. Also, At least for Undertale, it was a unique situation with Toby Fox coming over to Sakurai's house and meeting with him.

Cuphead has ties with Microsoft so I can see a scenario where they went to get Banjo (or Steve for that matter) and tried to get the rights to a Cuphead costume or they at least used their already existing ties to Microsoft and it was easier to get the costume. Celeste doesn't really have that.

Although, There's some stuff going for Celeste getting some kind of content. In-terms of recent indies Celeste has been one of those massive surprise hits, although not as big as Undertale it's still definitely respectable in it's own right. Celeste did and is still doing pretty well, it has a sizable audience. Hell, it sold the best on the Nintendo Switch according to multiple articles (article 1) (article 2) and so I could see Nintendo having a viewpoint of "let's put this thing that sold the best on our console in Smash." Though even without taking the Switch specifically into account it sold 500k within it's first year (source) and that's a decent achievement for an indie game.. It even went on to sell over a million copies in 2019 according to Wikipedia.

So it sold pretty well, Especially on the Switch which is a good sign. Though, disregarding sales it's also been highly acclaimed to the point of winning plenty of awards (ex: Best Independent game and Games for Impact at TGA2018) and even got nominated for Game of the Year in 2018 alongside 29 other nominations and 9 other awards. It's highly acclaimed and left an impact on being a successful game with a trans main character which is really cool! That's something to be proud of.

Also, Nintendo has been being a lot more friendly to Indies as of recently to the point a lot of people consider Indies to be a third pillar of the Switch. Nintendo allowed Cadence of Hyrule to happen, allowed for of course Sans and Cuphead to be in Smash (albeit as Mii Costumes), Shovel Knight Assist Trophy, so on so forth so they're obviously open to working with Indies and so they could also be willing to add a Madeline mii costume considering it's highly successful and acclaimed and particularly did well on the Switch.

That said..... I still have an off-feeling about a Madeline mii costume happening but I could be wrong, I've been wrong plenty of times before.

Want: 60%
I've played Celeste, even beating the game and it was fun but I don't have a particular connection to the game beyond that but. A Madeline costume would be cool it'd be nice to have some trans representation in Smash Bros, albeit as a Mii Costume and also Celeste was a fun game for what it was so I'm down.

Nomination:
Beatrice (Umineko) x5

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Day over.

Rate Concept: TF2 rep.

Predict John Marston from the Red Dead series.

Megadoomer Megadoomer

-----

Some songs to get into the TF2 mood:

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Ice Climbers, but with a plot and good controls.

Chance: 10%. I would've gone a bit higher beforehand, but now I'm not very sure that we're gonna see it happen. I doubt it for at least 10 reasons, ranging from smaller to bigger ones, but the biggest one I can think of is that Mii Costumes as of late have all had a central tie with one or two exceptions. I'm also not sure on how new it is, albeit I probably would've said that about a bunch of other titles. Still, it does have a chance.

Want, I shall abstain. I do not know how to rate it. But Celeste is on my list of games to eventually play, at least.

6.35% for TF2 rep, Worms x max.

BowserKing

Smash Lord
TF2 rep

Chance: 5%. On one hand, that game is very popular and has a lot of potential. Another thing is the characters have some potential to be in this game. On the other hand, that game is not on a Nintendo device, narrowing their chance, but if certain characters like Cloud showed us anything, it’s expect the unexpected.

Want: 50%. A character from the franchise would be fun to play as, and I can see those characters team up with Snake in battle. Overall, a rep from that game would bring up popularity for both games and a rep would be a decent Smash Bros rep.

Prediction: John (5%)

Noms: 5 for Garchomp

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Dude, this is just like Team Fortress 2!

Chance: 1%.
This one kind of has everything stacked against it. First, let's look at Valve: Despite the eighth gen/Switch being full of ports/remasters, and not having the same update restrictions Valve disliked about the seventh gen consoles, Valve hasn't bothered porting their games to these systems. We could get TF2 and CSGO on consoles with all the content updates they've gotten over the years, but the only consoles Valve has touched for almost a decade are their own attempts at making one.

Next, let's look at TF2:
  • The past three years' major updates have just been the obligatory Halloween and Christmas updates.
  • It's been four years, and the final issue of its comic is nowhere near being released.
  • Valve has done nothing about the bots plaguing matchmaking servers.
  • I'm just not sure how popular/known it is in Japan. Valve games have gotten Japan-exclusive arcade releases, but not TF2. However, game devs have to at least know where the rise of cosmetic microtransactions and lootboxes came from.
Want: 50%
I don't have thousands of hours on TF2 for nothing. Although I would prefer Scout to be the rep over Heavy, who seems more like assist material than an actual fighter with his kit and playstyle.

Last edited:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
TF2....

Chance: 0.5%

You know what's more important than having games on Nintendo platform? Company relationship. Why is Master Chief constantly brought up as legit possibility? Because Microsoft and Nintendo have been in good relationship. Valve has none of that advantage. The only thing Valve has done remotely close to Nintendo was that Portal bridge construction game. It's true that putting games on Nintendo platform is good way to express relationship. Gabe Newell saying he would approve if Nintendo approaches doesn't hold the same weight as when Phil showed open approval for Banjo in public. Furthermore, Valve doesn't seem to care about TF2 anymore. So, why would Nintendo care? No matter how loudly vocal supporters shout in internet, they are still vocal minority for all things considered. Even this phenomenon is pretty relatively new. And, I'm pretty surprised that people don't bring Japan factor against TF2. I have seen people saying how Japan is roadblock to Master Chief. TF2 is far worse when it comes to recognition in Japan. If Japan is still factor to be worried about, Nintendo would take babystep and start with Chief.

Want: 5%

I'm sure some casts have moveset potential, but I think Heavy seems poor choice with all things considered. I believe TF2 should sit back before even daring to take first FPS rep. That seat belongs to someone like Master Chief or Doom Slayer. TF2 has done on its own, but Halo and Doom defined FPS more than TF2. There is a reason why Ryu joined before Terry. Also, getting TF2 before Gordon Freeman is like getting Conker before Banjo. You gotta admit there is common sense in order. I've had some bad experience with TF2 supporters. I know supporters here are nice people and all that, but bad apples that I encountered ruined my experience with TF2 group. And I don't have attachment to TF2 although I played it bit before.

Nom: 3rd party company gets more than one fighter in the same pass x 10

Lyncario

Smash Ace
The Hevay is DEAD! Or is he?

Chances: 3%

Let's see, what do Team Fortress 2 characters have going for them. One of them is that they are hugely popular, with TF2 still being one of the most popular Steam games nowadays, and while it's free to play, it doesn't get updated very often, so that's still impressive. Not only that, but TF2 characters are pretty much icons of pc gaming, but also of the FPS genre, even if they're not on the level of Master Chief, they're still pretty high, so that got to count for something. Looking at Google Trends, TF2 seems to not be very popular in Japan, though it still has a presence there, so that's not too bad for TF2 on that side. But otherwise, like, yeah, if Nintendo wanted a Valve character, more specificaly an FPS character, they could just pick Morgan Freeman. And with how there's only 2 characters left, I really doubt that Nintendo would pick someone from TF2 as one of them, and even if a third fighter pass was confirmed and had 7 character, I would still say they're extremly unlikely, it just doesn't seem like Nintendo would pick a TF2 character for me.

Want: 60%

Sure, the Heavy could be fun, and so could Scout, or really any TF2 character, since the cast of the game is really fun and expressive. While I'm not too hot on fps, TF2 is one of the few exceptions, and really someone from this game could be really fun. There's also how I apreciate how TF2 is pretty much engrained in Internet's meme culture, and I really apreciate the animations with Touhou music, like Spetember 9 (Cirno). And really, a TF2 character would just be really funny if not anything else, so that would be cool.

Nominations

Akira Howard/Astral Chain MC/Legionis rerate x10 (x5 if I did not write enough for 10)

Predictions

John Mason: 0.8%

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
abstain, the little i know of this game is not enough for me to to fairly rate. it is enough for me to know that i do not want this game anywhere near smash. just no. ahem again abstain and nom grunty x5

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
I just want zero in smash, he is my personal most wanted pick, and he more to the table then just another anime sworefighter, I think he can go beyond a assist trophy

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
TF2 Rep

Chance 3 - Unless there's some behind the scenes stuff going on here I don't see it. Nintendo and Valve aren't really known to have a working relationship of any kind at the moment. That's been a big part of 3rd party characters coming to Smash. There's some positive things going the way of TF2, such as Heavy seemingly being a very popular character in the UK for a Smash addition. Overall though I'm not feeling like this will be a thing.

Want 50 - I wouldn't hate it I suppose. If I had to aim for a shooter rep there's a lot of others I'd rather get first though. That being said, I dont think this would be a bad pick at all. Just not one I have a big attachment to when there's others, such Master Chief or a Bioshock character, who are FPS shooters I want a lot more. I do think that TF2 is fairly deserving though, so if it got a rep I wouldn't reject it totally.

Predictions
John Marston - 8.42

Noms
Far Cry rep x10

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Concept: TF2 rep

Chance: 0.1%
There's 9 possibilities for this if we were to actually get a TF2 character, so I'll go over all of them individually and give a % score just in regards to repping TF2.

• (👟) Scout is probably the face of TF2 after Heavy and usually the 2nd most talked about option for TF2 in Smash. 3%
  • (🚀) Soldier is another iconic character of TF2 that would represent the game very well. I don't think Rick May's death would hurt his chances since I imagine all of the TF2 characters would just have reused voice clips anyway. 2%
  • (🔥) Pyro is also pretty popular and did beat Heavy in the Heavy vs Pyro competition. Granted I don't think this means much since it was based on how many points you got for the respective class (and Pyro is way easier to use than Heavy). I'll give a small score in case they actually go by the outcome of the competition though. 1%
  • (:bomb:) Demo exists though I just don't see him having priority. 0%
  • (🥪) Heavy is pretty much the face of TF2, given his prominence on the box-art and various other crossovers like starring in Poker Night and Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed. Not much else to say other than him being the clear frontrunner. 94%
  • (🔧) Engineer's gimmick of creating buildings I feel would be too complicated compared to the more easier and popular options. On top of that he isn't the most prominent TF2 character like with how he's had basically no screen time in the official TF2 comics. 0%
  • (💉) Medic's whole gimmick is that he can heal other teammates. Since a good majority of fights are usually 1v1/free-for-all, I'm not sure how they could make Medic faithful to his character outside of team battles which aren't as common. Plus he'd seem like an odd choice to rep the game anyway. 0%
  • (🎯) Sniper could work but I just see them going for a more popular and basic option. 0%
  • (🕵️‍♂️) Spy would be basically impossible since his whole gimmick is that he can disguise as other people and go invisible. 0%

So in a nutshell I'd say the TF2 rep would be 94% chance Heavy, 3% Scout, 2% Soldier, 1% Pyro, and 0% for everyone else.

Now as for the overall chances of an actual TF2 rep... yeah I sadly don't see this happening. Valve has basically no relation to Nintendo whatsoever and I don't think TF2 is popular in Japan. There is also major Valve competition in the form of Gordon Freeman who I feel would be the first choice to rep Valve. It also does not help that TF2 hasn't been updated in years and that Valve clearly doesn't give a crap anymore given how the bot issue still has not been fixed.

-----

Yes please. TF2 is my most played game ever and I think a character would be well-earned seeing as how it essentially started the whole Hero/Class shooter trend. As for who I would want to rep the game, I'd go with Heavy > Demo > Everyone else >>> Pyro.

Heavy and Demo are my mains while I use all of the other characters roughly equal to one another. The only exception is Pyro who I just never use. They'd probably be the only TF2 character that would disappoint me if they got in.

-----

John Marston chance prediction: 8.11%

Nominations:
Concept: Curly as Quote's alt/echo x10

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
TF2 rep
Chance: 0%
Yes, TF2 is still popular and hugely iconic over a decade and some people really seem to want to have it in Smash as of late. Problem is that Valve seems to have stopped caring about the game. I'm giving this a zero because I really think Valve would be giving this game attention again if TF2 in Smash was planned. If a Valve character were to happen, both parties would likely be pushing for Gordon Freeman instead. Although with only two characters left, I really doubt Valve is involved with this pass at this point. Forget the debate about Japanese appeal and we still have the bond between Valve and Nintendo being virtually nonexistent. Valve hasn't done anything for consoles since Portal 2 to my knowledge and they've never realeased one of their games on a Nintendo system.

Want: 10%
I tried the game out last year but haven't played it since. The bot plague is just such a huge turnoff, I'm afraid its too late for me to get into the game. I hesitate on a TF2 character in any case. Freeman is probably a more fitting choice, considering Valve still seems to support Half-Life. While I find the TF2 as charming as the next guy, I'd still rather have other western third-parties at this point.

John Marston: 2.77%
Skullgirls rep x10

Louie G.

Smash Hero
TEAM FORTRESS 2

CHANCE - 1%

It is extremely unlikely that TF2 gets any content in Smash on multiple fronts. FPS characters? TF2 is pretty low on the totem pole, I would say. Valve characters? Well, first of all, Valve has little to no real relationship with Nintendo and furthermore I believe they would be more inclined to pick someone like Gordon or Chell anyway. Half Life has the historical significance, and Portal even has a (spinoff) game on Nintendo. TF2 has been an afterthought for Valve for years now and I can't imagine it would be much different if they were lucky enough to get a character in Smash Bros. As far as I'm aware, the game has little to no presence in Japan and its playerbase has always been somewhat niche even over here compared to other competitive shooters.

The saving grace for TF2 is that the characters are frequently relevant and extremely popular on their own. Any Smash related push this may have provoked though came far too late to have any significant impact on DLC. I know that Heavy has placed high on several fan polls, but those have been skewed considering the poll originated in a TF2 community. For this to ever happen I feel like the stars need to align: TF2 needs a consistently vocal push for Smash, Valve and Nintendo need to display a stronger working relationship and it would certainly help for TF2 to get some new updates or even a sequel. Since all of these feel pretty unlikely at the moment and would be way past the expiration date (ha!) for DLC... we're out of luck for this one.

WANT - 95%
TF2 is one of the defining games of my growing up and some of my closest friendships. The other game is Super Smash Bros. Seeing these two worlds combine would be something special, and would make me incredibly happy and nostalgic. All of the characters have their own distinct personalities and some really awesome moveset potential, so I don't think I'd be upset at literally any of them being chosen over the other - my personal pick would be my TF2 main, Demoman. I just wanna bash people in with the Ullapool Caber for a stupid and stylish finish.

But yeah, as critical as I am of the chances of this happening, it would be a dream come true to actually see pan out. The 5% subtracted is just because TF2 is sorta the furthest thing from Nintendo and admittedly would be kinda pushing it in terms of what even makes sense to have in the game. It's fun to dream, though.

JOHN MARSTON - 3.05%

NOMINATIONS:

Bimmy & Jimmy x10
Tails x10

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Team Fortress 2 character
Chance: 1%

I'm not confident enough to say it's impossible, after all Sonic has raced with Heavy, Spy and Pyro and he's also in Smash and playing various olympic games with Nintendo's flagship mascot, but Valve are western and outside Portal Bridge Constructor and Dead by Daylight now having crossplay allowing Nintendo owners to see Bill Overbeck from Left 4 Dead in game, they seemingly have absolutely nothing on Nintendo consoles.

For a while there it sounded like there was going to be some sort of team up, but things fell through. Doesn't help that Nintendo is the only console that DIDN'T get the Orange Box, a pack of games that included Team Fortress 2.

Alright, forget Smash, forget Mario, forget Yoshi titles and forget Captain Toad. Team Fortress 2 is my most played game ever. Like I kid you not, this series is the one third party that would get me genuinely excited in the fighters pass.

The big question for me, is HOW a TF2 character would work.
  • Heavy is the face of the series for sure, but he's one of the absolute worst choices for a platform fighter seeing as he's big, slow, uses a minigun(how would this work in Smash?) and cannot jump worth a damn.
  • Scout is a far more thematically appropriate character, even having the double jump and extreme speed as well as access to baseball bats, milk, etc.
  • Soldier would also be a good choice with his rocket jump mobility and rockets being more family friendly than guns, although I'm hesitant to suggest him due to his VA dying in May last year.
  • Pyro is actually a lot of fun between the ability to airblast projectiles back, his flaregun allowing for long distance, his ability to cause afterburn which inflicts damage long after he stops attacking and his use of a jetpack leads to a good recovery special. Pyro's probably my favourite of the classes overall even if he's considered one of the least skilled in game.
  • Demoman is a less obvious face than Scout, Soldier or Heavy, but between his grenades, sticky traps and...Demoknight options(uh oh, ANOTHER swordsman!) his explosives edge around the firearms issue.
  • Engineer is a defensive support unit who can build a turret to attack and defend a certain point, and create teleporters allowing for great stage control, but isn't too hot in a firefight.
  • Medic is...well, a medic. His mediguns allow for increased crits, healing, weapon type immunity and most importantly the invincible Ubercharge...however he is the least effective in combat despite being the most useful class overall.
  • Sniper is great for one hit kills, could be good for a Final Smash akin to Dark Pit. Also has access to bow and arrows if sniper rifles are a little much for Smash. Probably best to leave Jarate out of it though considering it's a glass jar full of urine that he throws at his opponents for 100% critical hits.
  • Spy is a support class great for sabotage...however he'd be absolutely useless in Smash as his abilities involve espionage such as going invisible(remember how awful the cloak item was in Melee? Yeah, that) and disguising himself as his opponent could possibly fool his own player into looking at the wrong fighter. Worthless.

So with that said it may surprise you to hear that my ideal way would be using Spy as the character.

His abilities translate WORSE than Heavy overall but with a little creative liberty we can use Spy and his 'Disguise Kit' to put the TEAM into Team Fortress 2 by tweaking how it works and allowing him to transform into the other classes for certain attacks allowing the best of all characters.

Not that it has a snowball's chance in hell of ever happening as it would be a lot of extra work, and again...Valve and Nintendo lack any real connection...which sucks since they're my two favourite video game platform owners.

Nominations:
Akira Howard/Astral Chain MC/Legionis rerate x10

Top Bottom