• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

Pillow

Smash Lord
Predictions:
1. Typical Xenoblade intro + Why not Rex?
2. Moveset reveals then fighting bots
3. Miis
  • going to guess Kos-mos and Yuri to be shown here
  • also going to guess there will be at least one deluxe mii, probably hollow knight

Noms:
FromSoft x5

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Predictions:
1. Typical Xenoblade intro + Why not Rex?
2. Moveset reveals then fighting boss
3. Miis
  • going to guess Kos-mos and Yuri to be shown here
  • also going to guess there will be at least one deluxe mii, probably hollow knight
Or one of the two returning Mii Costumes.

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Well I guess we will see atleast one big deconfirm with the Mii costumes tomorrow. Sakurai will also likelyy give an explanation as to why Pyra/Mythra were chosen over Rex. Other than that, the presentation won't be anything out of the ordinary, the presentation will just be like previous ones and nothing earthshattering will be revealed. I don't know a ton about XBC2 so I can't really guess any further details.

All my noms go to Concept: Skullgirls rep

TraaP

Smash Cadet
1. Covid disclaimer & in the office.
2. What is XC2, & mentions the other Xenoblade games.
3. Rex wasn’t added because the blade system was too difficult to implement, so to remain faithful to the series he decided on P/M.
4. As part of CP9 Pyra & Mythra join the battle!
5. Showcases Pyra & Mythra’s palette swap:
Pyra:
1) Pneuma
2) Lora
3) Disguised Pyra
4) Nia
5) Zeke
6) Tora
7) Morag
8) Swimsuit.

Mythra:
1) Pneuma
2) Jin
3) Malos
4) Dromarch
5) Pandoria
6) Poppi QT(pi)
7) Brighid
8) Swimsuit.

6. Pyra’s moveset.
7. Mythra’s moveset.
8. Stage.
9. Battle on new stage.
10. Song list:
Counterattack (new arrangement), Drifting Soul (regular), Drifting Soul (no lyrics), You Will Recall Our Name, Driver VS, Incoming!, Monster Surprised You, After Despair & Hope (new arrangement), One Last You, 3 XC2 Torna the Golden Country tracks (1 new arrangement), 2 XCDE tracks, Uncontrollable (XCX), Don’t Worry (XCX) (16 in total + 3 existing XC2 songs = 19)
Mentions that the 3 existing songs have all been “fixed”, i.e., their volumes adjusted.
11. Release Date.
12. Mii Fighter Costumes:
1) Poppi or Zeke
2) Lora or Jin
3) Elma
4) Kos-Mos
5) Lloyd Irving
6) Ryu Hayabusa

13. Release Date: today!
14. Version 11.0 update discussion!
15. Mentions the amiibos releasing at the end of the month.
16. Teases there being no amiibos for FP2 due to the difficulty of making amiibos for the character... but then the Min Min amiibo is revealed.
17. Teases that it’s impossible to make a realistic Steve amiibo & then... his amiibo is revealed looking exactly like Mr Game & Watch’s.
18. Amiibos release date scheduled for August.
19. Mentions that we’re over half way through with FP2 & teases about getting a break & who the final characters are.
20. No announcement of more characters in development.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Calcs coming soon

Excitebiker x310
Worms x310
Agent 47 x285
Concept: A 3rd party company gets more than one fighter in the same pass x270
Mike Haggar x265
Concept: Curly as Quote's alt/Echo x245
Zagreus x240

250 - 201

Billy & Jimmy Lee x235
Concept: Far Cry rep x234
[Rerate] Concept: League of Legends rep x232
Peppino (Pizza Tower) x212
Tetra x205

200 - 151

Concept: Miles Edgeworth as Phoenix Wright's Alt/Echo x200
[Rerate] Carmen Sandiego x18
Rallen (Spectrobes) x170
Kaede Akamatsu x160

150 - 101

Riptor x140
Boss: Rayquaza x140
Stage: Bowser's Castle x137
Mii Costume: Monika x135
Trevor Philips x135

Senator Armstrong x135
Estelle Bright x130
Concept: Skullgirls rep x129
Concept: Disgaea rep x125
Boss: Ender Dragon x118
D.Va x115
Concept: A BioShock protagonist x111
Mii Costume: 2B x110
Mii Costume: Alex Kidd x108
Fulgore x104

100 - 51

Stage: Tetris x100
Concept: From Software rep x95
Giygas x90
Echo (Bowser) x90

Grunty (Banjo-Kazooie) x90
Junpei (Zero Escape) x81
Concept: Darksiders rep x80
Sackboy x80
Ryza (Atelier) x75
Concept: More ATs as one new item x75
Dwight Fairfield (Dead by Daylight) x75
Concept: Rocket League rep x75
[Rerate] Concept: New Zelda character x70
Echo (Olimar) x66
Concept: SNES-era Final Fantasy rep x65
Ghirahim x60
Gooigi x55
Vi (Bug Fables) x55
Echo: Zeraora (Lucario) x55
[Rerate] Jin Kazama x55
Magolor x55
Jin Sakai x55

50 - 25

[Rerate] Zhao Yun x50
[Rerate] Agumon x40
Mii Costume: Zagreus x40

[Rerate] Louie x40
Beatrice (Umineko) x40
Filia (Skullgirls) x31
Concept: Large and Normal Final Destination made into separate stages x25

Demi-Fiend x25

Under 25

Regigigas x20
[Rerate] Metal Sonic x20
Concept: Danganronpa protagonist x20

Bill Rizer x20
Yarn Yoshi x15
[Rerate] Shovel Knight x15
Tetris x10
Slash Kamei (Snowboard Kids) x10
[Rerate] Yuri Lowell x10
Jesse (Control) x10
Infernape x10

[Rerate] Arthur x10
Meat Boy x10
Concept: Rocket League content x5
[Rerate] Thrall x5
[Rerate] Lara Croft x5
Stage: Tetris 99 x5
Concept: Raizing shmup rep x5
Donbe and Hikari x5
Soma Cruz x5
Concept: KOS-MOS with T-elos alt x5
[Rerate] Master Hand x5
Pyramid Head x5
[Rerate] Elma x5
[Rerate] Brian x5

Garchomp x5
Gunvolt x5
[Rerate] Gex x5
Firebrand x1

A 3rd party company gets more than one fighter in the same pass knocks Mike Haggar down to fifth place. Zagreus ventures into the top seven, sending League of Legends rep straight down to Hell- err, Hades.

And speaking of Hell, or Hades, or whatever, Demi-Fiend pays 25 noms and escapes from it.

Challenger approaching! It's Bill Rizer, with 20 noms.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
right then ill have a go

well for a start i imagine therell be an explanation for why them and not rex and itll be one that only makes sense to sakurai or that hes been friends with kojima for too long. dont really have any moveset predictions. i think most of their alts will be based on the other main blades and maybe theyll have a colour swap like in XC2. stage i think its size will change as azurda moves his head. music i think will be all XC2. mii costumes will include elma sword fighter, kos-mos gunner, either morag or zeke as a sword fighter maybe in. and some 3rd party ive never played. thats all i got.

nom grunty x5

oh yes one more prediction i forgot to make: for one of the 3rd party mii costumes in the american version it will say smash x character as opposed to smash x franchise for the rest of us. i will need someone to verify that one for me.

Last edited:

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Sakurai presents prediction stuff

We're going to get a bit of an history lesson on the overall Xeno series and about Monolith, with how it started as owned by Square Enix, then by Bandai Namco, then by Nintendo. We also hear about Rex.

Then we get gameplay stuff, including an exibition match aganist Shulk, and maybe a Rex mii.

No idea for what the spirits are going to be.

For the miis, I'll say Lloyd (swordfighter), KOS-MOS(gunner), Elma (gunner), the guy with th edark monado but I forgot his name (swordfighter), a random big-shot 3rd party that's in most predictions and that will crush dreams of many (I feel swordfighter for that one, but not who).

Release date is March 20.

TheThingamajigRayman

Smash Journeyman
Predictions:
1. Why they were chosen instead of Rex, such as he was too difficult to implement, or maybe similar to Min Min where the creator specifically asked for Pyra and Mythra maybe?
2. Miis: Shantae (Deluxe + Music Track), Lloyd and Xenoblade Mii's (Elma?). Usually with first parties we get some kind of indie deluxe Mii, and I personally think it would be Shantae.
3. Amiibos, of course.
4. Release date will be March 13th.

Noms:
Gex x5

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Calcs

Marina Liteyears
0.32% Chance - 70.50% Want
Remember my goal of nominating a character that got a good chance score? Well, Marina is now in the bottom 5 third party characters for chance. Way to go, me... But on the flipside, Marina is now the fourth most wanted third party character!
The winner of predictions was Inue Houji Inue Houji by virtue of being the lowest prediction, with 0.80%

Neku
5.55% Chance - 78.67% Want
Neku is now the third most wanted character!
The winner of predictions was Louie G. Louie G. with 5.75%

Concept: Among Us character
0.33% Chance - 25.15% Want
This concept earns the dubious honor of being the second least likely concept ever (after Auroros, Jyk and Poppant as Assist Trophies). It's also the fourth least wanted concept (for the first time since its earliest rating, Gen 8 Pokemon isn't in the bottom 5). mfw it still gets a higher chance than Marina...
The winner of predictions was Blankiturayman Blankiturayman with exactly 0.33%! That means you win 15 extra noms! Congratulations!

Beat
2.43% Chance - 61.79% Want
The winner of predictions was once again Louie G. Louie G. with 2.65%

As you may know, I usually listen to Sari's music suggestions for each character when I tally their scores. Which meant that today's selection featured the holy trinity of TWEWY, Jet Set Radio, and Mischief Makers... and also Among Us fantracks which are clearly limited by the one sound effect they're based on. That's quite the contrast!

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Pyra Presentation Predictions

• Another Covid disclaimer. Seems par for the course at this point.
  • An explaination on what Xenoblade Chronicles (specifically 2) is.
  • Sakurai will explain why he went with Pyra instead of Rex. Either it'll be the Mii Costume or it'll have something to do with implementing the Driver-Blade system.
  • Gameplay demonstration. Will likely take up most of the video.
  • Explaining the alts. Might include swimsuit alts as well.
  • Explaining how the stage works.
  • Showing Pyra in action, likely through Classic Mode.
  • Music is mostly from 2, but also include XCDE and X.
  • Mii Costumes. I honestly don't think we'll get many Xenoblade costumes, based on Byleth and Min Min. I DO, however, expect either Lloyd, Monster Hunter, or even both to show up. Also, one Mii Costume that gets more attention than Pyra.
  • Info on Version 11.0, which releases shortly after the Presentation.
  • Amiibo update.

If we're doing noms, then Concept: Disgaea rep xhowever many I got.

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
I'm just guessing it'll go like the usual presentation, a little backstory on the series and developer, maybe dabbling into more of Monolith's earlier works (I'd love to see that), but more than likely just going into Xenoblade. Then showing some gameplay and the rest of the pack content. Unsure if they'd do music beyond XC2 but it'd be very cool.

For Mii costumes, well I think at least either Lloyd or MH are returning, no way around it, I'd be surprised if they both were absent at this point. Maybe some Xeno ones, more likely Xenoblade I feel, though I'd be delighted to see say, KOS-MOS as a costume since even if I really would've preferred her as a fighter, it'd be cool to see her here in one way or another. But yeah I'm more thinking they'll focus on Xenoblade rather than the rest of the games. Though Mythra's alt did make me bat an eye so we'll see. Since it's technically a Nintendo character, maybe we could get a random assortment of costumes as well.

As for the rest, I'm thinking the release is same day. Already sent a "save replays" notice so that was pretty damning. At most it'd be a couple days later probably. Who knows still of course.

If nominations are going, all that I get today to Worms (not counting bonus)

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I can’t fully post on mobile, but I’ll edit it in later.

Pyra/Mythra Predictions;

• Rex's reasoning will relate to the costume, but it'll have some clear context(like the fact it's a special bonus costume).
  • If Rex would suddenly be available, it'll be a different costume, but I don't see this that likely.
  • Elma, Monster Hunters, and Lloyd Miis. I could see at least one Deluxe(namely it means their head properly covers the Mii head) as well.
  • Min Min and Steve amiibo being shown off. Sephiroth isn't close to ready yet. Maybe Alex as well.
  • Obvious stage and moveset explanations(along with some of its history)
  • Doubling down on the fact there is no more DLC Passes after this. He won't note a bonus character, despite that not happeing either.
  • His room will have something in there that'll make someone have another silly theory akin to the chair theory(I don't mean this in a bad way. I enjoy these).
Noms: Brian(Quest 64) re-rate x 2, Fulgore x 3

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Pyra/Mythra predictions:
  • Rex being snubbed will be explained but it'll be a really unconvincing reason that will leave most Rex fans unsatisfied and ultimately just be 'because I/Nintendo/Xenoblade 2's director wanted them over Rex'
  • Mii costumes will be announced. Lloyd comes back, Elma gets one, KOS-MOS might get one... Some sort of Astral Chain Mii possibly?
  • Stage will be explained. Comment about how 'Gramps' is still the stage even when Rex's mii is fighting and has him in the helmet.
  • Alt outfits will be based around the blades within Xenoblade 2 rather than referencing characters from across the games.
  • A showcase in which Sakurai will just about squeeze out a win.
  • Amiibo reminder for Banjo, Terry and Byleth. Annnnnd then showing Min Min's amiibo...maybe Steve's too. Too early for Sephiroth.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Pythra predictions
  • Sakurai will talk a little about Xenoblade 2, and maybe mention some of Monolith Soft's history.
  • He will go over why Pyra/Mythra were chosen over Rex. Like with other people I think it's one of or a combination of these factors:
    • Rex being a Mii costume you have to spend money to get.
    • Pythra are more marketable.
    • The driver/blade system was too complicated to implement.
  • The usual overview of the moveset and stage.
  • For the music, I estimate we will get about 15 tracks, including a couple from Xenoblade X. I could see Sakurai going the extra mile for X since it only has spirits.
  • Here are my Mii costume predictions:
    • Poppi
    • Malos
    • Morag
    • Elma
    • KOS-MOS
    • Lloyd Irving
  • A reminder of the Amiibos coming out this month, and maybe a preview of some future Amiibos.
  • Same day release!
  • Some people are saying this might be where we get the announcement of a third pass, but I'm thinking that will most likely happen during Crash's the next character's presentation.
  • That's it. I'm not expecting any surprises aside from maybe an unexpected deluxe Mii costume.
Noms:
Bill Rizer x5
Excitebiker x5

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Let's be boring with my predicitons.

-Sakurai presentation at home, as usual, probably a Covid warning regarding release dates.
-Mii Costumes go first: Elma, Kos-Mos for new costumes, Lloyd and MH for returning ones, Gunvolt for the unexpected costume and it comes with a song.
-Explains why Rex wasn't chosen, Mii Costume not mentioned at all.
-Pyra and Mythra's transformation has a gimmick as to how its activated, not a down special.
-Stage overview.
-Spirits overview, some spirits overlap with base game like with Min-Min.
-Amiibo section, showcases Min Min, and mentions Pyra and Mythra will be sold separately. (i wish we got an Ultimate Zelda amiibo)
-Release date is either March 8th, or March 26.
-No mention of future Fighter Passes, Sakurai instead states the next 2 are all what's left.

SWSU

Smash Apprentice
Okay, heres a random prediction. We aren't going to get Min Min/Steve/Sephiroth Amiibo Shown.

But the Updated Link/Zelda/Ganon Amiibos to go with the Zelda Anniversary (Saying the FP2 Amiibos will take a bit more time.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Prediction

• He will explain how much Covid still impacts overall development.
  • It will be aired in studio, not his home.
  • He will explain why Pyra/Mythra are chosen over Rex. Difficulty of implementing Rex? Mii costume rule?
  • Mii costume: Elma and KOS-MOS as they are related as Xeno series. Lloyd will return due to pattern of Smash 4 mii outfit returning. He also fits JRPG genre. But it's also possible that Monster Hunter costumes can return as MH: Rise is around the corner. I'm not sure about both of them returning at the same time.
  • I think Min Min and Steve amiibo will be revealed. Sephiroth will get his on later slot.
  • I don't think he will say there will be Fighter Pass 3. If FP3 is on the line, it will revealed at next slot.

Nom: 3rd party company gets more than one fighter in the same pass x 10

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Predictions.

1. COVID disclaimer
2. Will be at home recording
3. What is Xenoblade 2?
4. Why Pyra & Mythra was chosen over Rex
5. Stage overview
6. Explains how Pyra & Mythra plays
7. Plays through their Classic Mode
8. Shows their Spirit Board
9. Announces release date
10. Mii Slaughter
11. Reveals next set of amiibos and when they release
12. Talks about how Ultimate's run is running near its end and that its been a pleasure making such a massive game

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
With the Presentation now over, we will now being doing Pyra/Mythra satisfaction scores.

Rate how satisfied you are with Pyra/Mythra as well as the content they brought over.

Megadoomer Megadoomer

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Satisfaction: I’ll say 85%. Pyramid and Mothras seem like fun characters and they have very deadly weapons to use. Also more Xenoblade songs, change is great.

Also Monster Hunter is unlikely to appear now. But what is surprising is that Arthur is a Mii Costume. I wasn’t expecting that.

Noms: 5 for Garchomp.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Satisaction: 90%
  • + I loved watching Sakurai geeking out over the game he was talking about
  • + It's nice to see that the Aegis girls' playstyle(s) encourage you to swap between them
  • + Cloud Sea of Alrest looks beautiful!
  • + The Swap move looks like it'll be useful for last-minute dodging
  • + I love all the additional Spirits they added
  • - No other Xenoblade Spirits for the Spirit Board
  • - No other Xeno costumes, for some reason; it's all Capcom, which pretty much buries their chances
    • On that note, I was getting into Ghosts 'n Goblins recently, so Arthur admittedly stung a bit (just as I was rerating him, too)
Noms:
[Rerate] Crash Bandicoot x5

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
75% satisfaction here

Pyra and Mythra in all fairness look very good and whilst I'm still a little eeeh about why Rex was missed out, technical issues is a better reason than I was expecting we'd get. Sakurai needs to stop playing Smash though as he is clearly not a good boy(or girl).

Capcom character chances are damn near dead as far as I'm concerned now though via the Mii costumes. Monster Hunter is deader than dead. Throw out any rumours about Monster Hunter including the Concert leak, it's dead boys.

I would have liked to have seen at least one Xenoblade Mii outfit mixed in. Somehow feels a bit wrong that there wasn't even one dedicated Xenoblade Mii costume added, and I'm shocked the alt outfits outside Pneuma and swapping Pyra and Mythra's colours don't actually relate to any specific blades or drivers in the game.

I think Elma's done too btw. Even without a Mii outfit or an alt reference, I cannot see X getting a character now. Bit of a shame, seems like X is getting skipped straight over.

I haven't bought much DLC thus far. Literally only have the Free Piranha Plant and bought Bomberman's Mii outfit, but Pyra/Mythra are the closest outside Byleth and Banjo I've come to being tempted to purchase a fighter...I may actually grab them after the wave finally ends.

Lastly Sakurai's statement makes it seem like this IS the end in two reveals time, so I'm dropping any hopes for a third pass now.

Edit: Nominations! I forgot them
Mii Costume: Alex Kidd x 10

Last edited:

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Satisfaction: 88%

Sakurai's house is back but Covid is a pain. I like the movesets and the music list a lot, the alts are also cool (I especialy how Sakurai said that the second alt was based on Pneuma with 0 chill). The stage is also kinda nice, I guess.

Rip to Monster Hunter and potentialy every Capcom characters tho.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Pyra/Mythra satisfaction

77%

This is mainly due to the fact that I never got into Xenoblade series, but I really love Sakurai's usual passion and dedication to details.

While their moveset and gimmick are not terribly unique, Sakurai did his best at making them stand out enough and honoring their game. They still kinda brought old Zelda/Shiek. He brought more in-game footage this time than he did for Sephiroth. Changes to Spirits are nice touch. It's still amusing that they had to censor certain Spirits to avoid spoiling Xenoblade 2. I guess this is kinda ploy to hurry up on Xenoblade 2 sales.

I like how there are hints that the elder's head will turn.

Mii costume: Welp... all my predictions are wrong. I guess Monster Hunter costume makes sense since Rise is near. I'm surprised that there are only 4 mii costumes.... I guess technically 6 since MH costumes have two variations each.

Nom: 3rd party company gets more than one fighter in the same pass x 10

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
The stage looks dull at best and at worst ****ing annoying due to the head placement, garbage FFA stage in my book
Thank god this was in Japanese so Rex wouldn't make my ears bleed
Ugh, Sakurai really ****ed up by making more garbage alts that are deliberately designed to look the same.
Thank **** Sakurai remembered how he balanced Bat Within
"This move does a lot of shield damage and hits multiple times. Don't try breaking shields but run away instead you idiots lmao"
Gee, Roundtrip, I can think of other fighters that pull this off. Also lmao at "Use this to not get edgeguarded! Also you'll die if you do this".
I don't like how Photon Edge crosses up on shield, the anti crossup mechanic was made specifically for moves like that so good to see another first party character blatantly ignore the game's rules.
Sacred Arrow looks better than I remember it looking, the light arrows looked slow to me in the initial trailer which made it look super ****ing dinky
Jesus christ Rex looks even worse than I feared.
Lmao of course he doesn't go for level 9s, even he knows they cheat.
I better not hear anyone whine about XB2 getting snubbed ever again, not surprised X got completely shafted again
"We don't want to spoil Pneuma so let's explain Pneuma. Same goes for Master Driver." Where was this spoiler concern for 3H, I seem to remember a ****ton of stuff gleefully getting spoiled then.
I've got mixed feelings on the Arthur costume as Arthur could very easily just be a generic knight costume.
Sakurai not writing the trailer makes sense, after all, that was easily the most relaxed trailer for a newcomer since Isabelle. You'd think a character from an action game with big explosions left and right with scifi fantasy weaponry would make a good trailer but evidently not.

I'm giving this a 1% satisfaction rating because it's nice to see Arthur get a costume.

Zagreus x10

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
hmm

satisfaction: 25% that was lame. as expected we didnt get a proper explanation only why we didnt get in a manner similar to their own game not why they were chosen over rex. everything they did could have just as easily gone to rex and they we could have had a character who swaps between move sets which would have been a kind of two in one character we had not had in smash. so we can only guess why those two instead of the main character everyone was actually asking for. i have my own theory but id rather not dwell on it. stage is cool and im pleased i guessed how it would change but i feel its gonna be one of those stages i get more use out of than the character. good selection of music and its got the one track i wanted (mor ardain). interesting that all the characters i suspected of being legend spirits got in but only two of them are legends. cool that rex's spirit can now be enhanced and again i really hope in's spirit battle is against sephiroth. with the dlc. mii costumes were completely uninteresting and its kinda a waste that we got no xenoblade ones. at this point its starting to feel like theyre just dragging out the lloyd fan's misery. assuming theyre in misery. over all it still feels like it could have been and should have been rex and no amount of flashy moves and stage cameos can make up for that.

also since when has sakurai been so careful about spoilers?

nominate grunty x10

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Here's my initial reactions
Alright, here we go
  • Huh, stage first. That's a new one
  • Casually hinting at Nia but not saying anything (wink wink)
  • gramps voice I'm gonna put some dirt in your eye (Casual head turn that sends you plummeting to your doom)
  • Oh, they know about the Battlefield Gramps memes. They know.
  • The Battlefield/Omega versions actually look pretty cool
  • The designs of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 are too powerful. Rex must die to keep them in check
  • I love the implication that Rex somehow snuck into Sakurai's house for that one voice line
  • So anyways this is how we censored them
  • Huh, no special meanings for the alts. Darn.
  • Casually namedrops Pneuma
  • Good golly, the power gap between the two is absurd. pyra voice D O R I Y A H
  • So Smash Flare and Foresight really are gimmicks. Called it (Though I'm not necessarily the first to do so)
  • Sakurai's really just adding to the waifu wars, eh? Good grief...
  • I was actually half-expecting him to lose that Squad Strike match. That was a close one
  • Casually spoils Pneuma and Master Driver Rex but still tries to keep them hidden
  • Official Pneuma art. Noice.
  • Good golly we have three Legend Spirits in a single pack what the %$#@
  • Monster Hunter is %$#@ing dead. There goes our frontrunner.
  • There's only four Miis and they're all dedicated to killing Capcom. Oof.
  • Lloyd lives... For now, at least. Hang in there...
  • Later today gang stay winning
  • And that cinches it; FP2 is the end. Better enjoy this while it lasts
Basically, I'm a happy camper. 80% satisfaction from me. Pyra and Mythra look incredibly fun, Pyra especially. Sakurai's ad-libbed quotes are always a riot, and having three Legend Spirits in the same pack is a pleasant surprise. My one gripe is that the stage looks a little barren in places, but eh, no biggie. Just use the Omega/Battlefield modes; They actually look really cool.

Also, RIP Capcom. This should shake speculation up a fair bit. Meanwhile, Lloyd survives yet again some how. Hope his luck keeps up.

EDIT: If I'm allowed to go back and add noms, 10x nomination to Ryza.

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Pythra Satisfaction Rating

80%

There is a lot to say about this presentation. There were some mixed emotions here and there so I'll list everything at a time.
  • Pythra looks cool. I was not expecting their moveset to have some crazy mechanic so it was about what I expected. I really like the swap mechanic as it allows for plenty of options during mid-battle. Usually I don't pay attention to the alts but their alts are pretty cool, though I do wish they referenced more of the party members. One of them looks like KOS-MOS to me, though it's probably just a coincidence.
  • The stage looks beautiful, albeit a bit basic but Gramps' moving head should provide some funny salt moments.
  • 16 music tracks is fantastic. They have all the songs I wanted and more. Can't wait to hear the remixes.
  • The explanation as to why Rex wasn't chosen made a lot of sense and is completely understandable.
  • Onto the Mii costumes.......on one hand we have Monster Hunter which made me a bit disappointed as I thought MH was a real possibility and I'm a MH supporter. I'm grateful that the costumes returned at all though. But on the other hand, Arthur was hype to see. I was not expecting him to be playable so I was pleasantly surprised much like with Cuphead. I'm happy that Ghosts n Goblins got some kind of representation.
    • While this does hurt the chances of a Capcom character, you could argue that maybe they still have other costumes coming alongside a playable character, but Capcom negotiated to have the MH costumes come earlier to coincide with MH Rise. At least, that is what I tell myself to keep the Phoenix dream alive.
    • Also, no Xenoverse costumes? That is a shocker.
  • I do wish Xenoblade X did get at least a Mii costume and a few music tracks. I haven't played X myself but I know the soundtrack is really good as well and when Sakurai started talking about the music in regards to the Xenoblade series, I thought he was going to start talking about X too. Poor Elma fans, it looks like X missed the boat.
  • As a side note, Lloyd not coming back was a surprise but that is likely because Monster Hunter was prioritized so Lloyd could still come back as a costume. It's still more likely than not in my eyes.
Overall, solid presentation. BTW, as someone who hasn't beaten Xenoblade 2 yet, you may be wondering about my thoughts on the big spoiler that was out in the open a couple times. The thing is, I have no context on what the spoiler is so as long as I don't think about it too much I may still be surprised when I get to the end of the game. I have been enjoying Xenoblade 2 so far and so I got to enjoy some of the cameos and references as well.

Does this change speculation for me? Well I'm still sticking to my guns and say that Phoenix is still likely, but otherwise this doesn't change a lot for me. I still say Crash is next and the final character will be either a Pokemon, Octoling, or some other character who is probably disappointing.

Noms:
Bill Rizer x5
Excitebiker x5

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Satisfaction: 60%

I like the alts, they’re definitely a step up from Byleth’s. Some colors clash but there’s a few gems in there.
The stage is pretty neat and has a cool aesthetic on both the base version and the Battlefield version.

That said, I’m not jazzed otherwise. The presentation stoked the fire of the waifu war aesthetic that plagues the juvenile fandom, their gimmick is mostly still “Play as Marth and his Echo at once” and their moveset doesn’t even try to distinguish itself from others‘. Rex originally being the pick makes much more sense, and the fact they didn’t swap out the slot once the Rex idea fell through was a pretty bad move overall most likely motivated by Nintendo.
Despite this, they do look fun to play (can’t go wrong with swords in that regard) and unlike the seemingly popular opinion, I like their designs. Visually, they’re on top of it. Xenoblade is also a series that “deserves” the slot so if they had to go for a ”shill-no-matter-what” slot I’m glad it was them.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
hmm

satisfaction: 25% that was lame. as expected we didnt get a proper explanation only why we didnt get in a manner similar to their own game not why they were chosen over rex. everything they did could have just as easily gone to rex and they we could have had a character who swaps between move sets which would have been a kind of two in one character we had not had in smash. so we can only guess why those two instead of the main character everyone was actually asking for. i have my own theory but id rather not dwell on it. stage is cool and im pleased i guessed how it would change but i feel its gonna be one of those stages i get more use out of than the character. good selection of music and its got the one track i wanted (mor ardain). interesting that all the characters i suspected of being legend spirits got in but only two of them are legends. cool that rex's spirit can now be enhanced and again i really hope in's spirit battle is against sephiroth. with the dlc. mii costumes were completely uninteresting and its kinda a waste that we got no xenoblade ones. at this point its starting to feel like theyre just dragging out the lloyd fan's misery. assuming theyre in misery. over all it still feels like it could have been and should have been rex and no amount of flashy moves and stage cameos can make up for that.

also since when has sakurai been so careful about spoilers?
Sakurai explained that having two characters on the field at once was too system-taxing with higher numbers of players. He showed that the Ice Climbers were already cutting it close, and that two characters with a MUCH higher level of detail would've been overboard.

Pyra/Mythra Satisfaction

Rating: 50% -
I wasn't too interested in them either way so my opinion was bound to be neutral, though as someone who's played half of their game, I do have some thoughts!

A very reasonable explanation given as to why they were chosen over Rex. While I didn't like the whole "Hey! I was supposed to be in Smash! "Oh? Did you hear something?", we really didn't need the dose of feel-bad (at least Spring Man was spared from that). But aside from that, very well-presented.
  • Moves definitely look inspired, if a little odd, and the Burning Sword animation is as amusingly jank as it is in the game itself!
  • I'm glad Pyra and Mythra were given different focuses to better incentivize Switching, seems much more managable than Pokemon Trainer.
  • No Dughall Spirit how could they
  • Gramps looks like a fun stage, and I'm glad Sakurai mentioned how odd it would be to have a battlefield form of him! xD Alrest is looking great!
  • Good selection of music! Tiger! Tiger! getting in, and a REMIX no less is awesome! And Roaming the Wastes was a fantastic choice, I was really hoping for that one!
  • Both surprised and not surprised with the lack of Xeno costumes. First party characters (and honorary ones like Banjo) usually are a wild west for Miis, though I was expecting at least one like Ninjara with Min Min.
  • Monster Hunter is down for the count, which helps Phoenix Wright a ton. Arthur's presence worries me (though I'm happy that he himself got a costume!), but Capcom has tons of characters so a Phoenix Mii selection still has plenty to choose from!

Overall, solid presentation! Not breathtaking but gets the job done very nicely! I wonder where speculation will go from here, figure theory is being tossed around but nobody's sure whether to take it seriously or treat it as a joke. We'll just have to wait and see what we get at E3!

Nominations:
Concept: Miles Edgeworth as Phoenix Wright's alt/echo x5
[Rerate] Louie x5

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Sakurai explained that having two characters on the field at once was too system-taxing with higher numbers of players. He showed that the Ice Climbers were already cutting it close, and that two characters with a MUCH higher level of detail would've been overboard.
And where in that explanation does it say Rex can be by himself

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Pyra/Mythra Satisfaction scores:

90%

I really love the stage they went with. I think the best way to represent Xenoblade 2 is by showing off the Cloud Sea and Titans which is exactly what they did. I also like how Gramps isn't too hazardous to be played on.

Pyra/Mythra look really fun. Granted I thought some of their special moves looked weird at first but after looking at the specials in Xenoblade 2 again, it's clear Sakurai was trying to stay as faithful as possible. One really small nitpick I have is that I wish Mythra's final Smash acted like PK Starstorm but where you can't use it if there is a ceiling above you (since that was a thing in Xenoblade 2 both in gameplay and in cutscenes). Small nitpicks aside, I think I'll probably try to use Pyra Mythra.

The alternate colors were by far the most disappointing thing from this whole presentation. Xenoblade 2 alone has so many colorful and unique characters to make alt colors based off and they went for some of the most bland choices possible. Most of them clash with each other while color 7 is literally just "Pyra/Mythra's colors but brighter." I know colors 5 and 6 might be Xenogears references but I feel like there could've been more visually appealing options from just Xenoblade 2 alone, whether it be a color based on a party member or one of the DLC costumes. I guess I'll just use color 5 and pretend it's somehow based on Morag, but yeah this is up there with Pac-Man for one of the worst characters when it comes to alt color choices.

The song list is amazing. The only song I really wanted was Roaming the Wastes (which thankfully made it in) but I will gladly accept Gormott, Incoming!, You Will Recall Our Names, and of course the Torna battle theme which I didn't think would actually make it in. If I had to nitpick, I wish Tiger! Tiger! (seriously who asked for this lol) got replaced by just about any other song, specifically the Uraya or Alba Cavanich themes. But I can't be mad with what we got.

As for the mii costumes we got, I'm pretty bummed about there not being a single Xeno series costume. Heck I would've even been glad for an Elma or KOS-MOS costume but we got nothing but Capcom costumes. Speaking of... RIP Monster Hunter and possibly any other Capcom characters. Phoenix was one of my most wanted so I'm not sure how to feel after today.

So overall this was a good presentation. I would've given a 100% but I'm going to do -7% for the alt colors and -3% for the lack of mii costumes so a 90% should be just about right. Favorite DLC character after Terry and third favorite Ultimate newcomer in general (first being Terry, second being Isabelle).

Nominations:
Curly as Quote's alt/echo x5 (or x10)

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Overall, solid presentation! Not breathtaking but gets the job done very nicely! I wonder where speculation will go from here, figure theory is being tossed around but nobody's sure whether to take it seriously or treat it as a joke. We'll just have to wait and see what we get at E3!
I hope to god people only take it as a joke theory since it barely helps narrow it down at all.

Even going by just the company who made those Pyra and Mythra figures that'll put the following in with a chance:

Saber, Lyndis, Ryza, Marnie(Pokemon Sword and Shield), Megaman X, Pearl, Marina, Tharja, KOS-MOS, Monster Hunter(RIP), Hatsune Miku, Cordelia, Sakura, Edelgard, Elise, Caeda, Melia Antiqua, Toon Zelda, BotW Champion Zelda...etc...

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Pyra/Mythra Rating: 49%
I'm mostly just happy with the switch being fast. It could lead to some fun ways to throw off your opponent. They didn't really explore any new territory beyond that, so I'm not entirely sure how badly I'm going to want to try them out. The Arthur Mii costume was my favorite announcement, but I'm kind of upset we, yet again, didn't get a new song with a new Mii costume.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I talked about this a little, but I am taking a step back potentially for the next week or so.

My dog passed away on Tuesday, he was 15 years old at the time. I will likely end up posting my rating for tomorrow, but IDK if I will be too active the next week or so. I am still working through the emotions of it all and trying to heal the best I can.

Anywho, Pyra and Mythra.

90% Satisfaction

Honestly, the gimmick of the two works pretty well. While I would say Mythra is better, the two mesh together much better than say Melee Sheik and Zelda or Brawl PT. The two look fun and I am excited to pick them up later tonight.

The stage and music selection are great. I know I joked with a friend from home in the past that Gramp's back would be a dumb stage,but it is so pretty. Hope hazards off is relatively usable for friendlies. The music selection is great, though I do miss the lack of X music.

I only have two reasons this is not higher. First, given the CSS changes and the statement's Sakurai said, I no longer believe a third pass is super likely. It ain't dead dead yet, but it is not a good sign. I would give it like a 10-15% chance if we rated it again. Honestly, the more likely thing is that we just get an Ultimate DX and the extra stuff is available as DLC for ult.

The other thing is the Mii Costumes. I was kind of hoping for some more Xenogears and Xenosaga love outside of a reference in an alt. I personally think its safe to say neither are super likely this pass or for a FP3. I just wish I could get a Fei or KOS MOS mii. Getting an Arthur Mii is cool. Rip Concert leak lmao.

Garchomp x 25

Mr. MR

Smash Apprentice
They carted the Hunter....
Darn.

Anyway, Satisfaction for Pyra/Mythra: 81%

I'm surprised that Sakurai didn't create them as Echoes and instead gave them Zelda's old gimmick. Also is this more proof that Echoes is a dead concept for post game content? We basically got two characters for one slot which is a huge bonus. The character playstyle doesn't look that special but I'm fine with a more basic character that plays well.

Mii Costume deconfirms are more like guidelines than actual rules but I still think they have significant weight.
The way Sakurai revealed the Mii Costume basically puts a damper on Capcom Characters.
We got more confirmation that this the last pass.
Sakurai Spams.

I'm still surprised that they murdered Monster Hunter. Unless Sakurai is pulling a fast one on us it looks like this is the end for the Hunter.

Noms: Zhao Yun x10

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
Pyra/Mythra Satisfaction - 90%
Not really the type of character I like playing, but they look great. Models, animations, playstyle, everything looks clean. I'm mildly concerned that Mythra will just be the better of the two 99% of the time and Pyra will be stuck on edgeguard duty, but time will tell.

Presentation Satisfaction - 30%
I originally didn't want MH, but I was gradually warming up to them. I also really really wanted at least one deluxe Mii costume, as I actually enjoy playing them. And I was hyped up for Xenoblade X music thanks to this forum and that's missing as well. So yeah, everything other than the characters themselves were a disappointment for me.

Noms:
FromSoft x5

Top Bottom