• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

Zyliee

Smash Cadet
Thinking too deep can lead to madness as the mind tries to process. The only way we can tell another character you selected (popular or not) is coming or not by Sakurai's reveal. Leaks and speculation can help time pass, but can't predict characters unlike FP1 due to information sealed away with caution.

The way I can see the next challenger reveal, either late February or early March since Sephiroth's reveal on December last year at the VGA. Also, Pokemon Day is present and another Indie Direct may appear.

I expect those two first before Challenger 9's reveal. Though, who would be good to start the new year on Spring?
To be fair, there was a pretty good drop that there was gonna be a direct on the 11th. Dude said nothing on Smash or such, only dropping pictures for stuff like "Buddy Mission BOND", "Donkey Kong 40", "ARMS 2", "Metroid Dread", 'DMC4 Remaster', "Tomb Raider Collection", and I think the new "BlazBlue" or something.

But I don't think we will see anything about character 9 until April

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Sorry for interupting the day, but I remember we rated Freddy Fazbear at one point, and it looks like he's been deconfirmed:

Inue Houji

Purplish Wig
Not a single prediction has been made in almost 24 hours, maybe it's time to end the day?

On another note, it seems like the BotW 2 rep discussion has died down entirely, was expecting to see af least one person predicting it.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Predictions have been getting harder as Nintendo and Sakurai continue to shift expectations. I don't even know who is next regarding speculation.
Screenshot_20210203-235334_YouTube.jpg

Last edited:

agamemenon

Smash Rookie

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Fixed that for you. It's kinda insane just how far back Ys and its legacy goes, even predating juggernauts like FF and SMT. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_longest-running_video_game_franchises
1612539801282.png

To avoid any confusion, Ys is older than Final Fantasy, even if the list places it below. It's based on the gap between first and latest releases rather than the first game alone.

Though, if you want to expand to all RPGs, Ys would be bumped down to third because of the existence of Ultima.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Day over.

Today we got Monokuma from Danganronpa. Rate him. Tomorrow we got Concept:Characters who don't have their game on Nintendo platforms, so predict that.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Some Danganronpa songs for today:

-----

Abstaining completely since I'm not too familiar with this series.

Characters without games on Nintendo platforms chance prediction: 20.00%

Nominations:
Curly as Quote's alt/echo x5

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Puhuhuhu

Chance: 8%

I'm not confident in Danganronpa these days. Just a couple years ago, it was so close to being somewhat mainstream but its popularity has seemingly died down a bit. It's still a recognizable series but what really hurts it is that it's still.Not.On.A.Nintendo.System. How? Spike Chunsoft has a good relationship with Nintendo so it's really surprising this hasn't happened yet. This just tells me that Nintendo probably isn't that interested in the series. The one thing I can say is that Sakurai seems to be a fan of the series so maybe he could suggest it? But again we haven't had a character yet whose series hasn't appeared on a Nintendo system. Sure the series has its own merits so Nintendo could see value in it, but at this point Danganronpa feels low on the totem pole. It could happen, but I'm not betting on it. And while I do think Monokuma is the most likely character, one of the protagonists like Makoto might make it in instead as they could represent the gameplay of Danganronpa better.

Want: 100%

Danganronpa is one of my favorite series. The atmosphere in the first game is one of my favorites in gaming, the story and cases in the second game are, for the most part, top notch, and Danganronpa V3 has great minigames and one of my favorite casts of characters. Monokuma is such a well-written character. He is savage, cute, adorable, deadly, maniacal, psychotic, funny, and charming all at once. It's hard to hate him despite what he does. He just has this presence to him that makes every scene he is in so much better. Danganronpa also has one of my favorite soundtracks ever. I give any Danganronpa character close to a 100 just because we might get Scrum Debate which is the perfect debate song. Overall I love Danganronpa and it would be great to see how the content would look in Smash next to everything else.

Just imagine Pichu taking on a psychotic, homicidal robotic bear. Smash is weird as it is, so let's make it even weirder.

Prediction: Character with no game on a Nintendo system - 14% (I think most people will agree this is low but I see some people arguing that it's just a fan rule so I'm expecting some decent scores)

Noms: Excitebiker x10

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Disbear

5% Chance

I have always been more cynical towards Danganronpa's chances whenever it gets brought up here. One big part is because we generally rated the protagonists instead of Monokuma. While you could easily pull a Hero situation and have multiple protagonists be in, I would personally err more towards Monokuma being in because he is the most iconic Danganronpa character. I know some people would bring up comparisons to say, Slime, but I think this situation is different. Monokuma, for 5/6 cases of each game, is the main antagonist of the game before the game's mastermind is revealed. I would say that is a good bit different than just an iconic enemy.

So Monokuma imo is the choice for a danganronpa rep. What helps and what does not help him? Well...I personally doubt Danganronpa is getting into smash. Danganronpa's main games have not yet come to a Nintendo console. Unlike other characters who have this issue, like Chief or Kratos, Danganronpa is a comparitively small franchise. Is it tiny? Heavens no. But it does have basically zero connection to Nintendo, which imo is a big hurdle and honestly a death knell for it. I know Spike Chunsoft is relatively chummy with Nintendo, but we still do not have ports of Danganronpa 1, SDR2, or NDRV3. When the games are on Steam as well, it would seem so easy to port them. But they have not. That being said, the series is popular enough and not completely niche, which could let it sneak in tbh.

Overall, has a small shot, but not a great one.

90% Want

I know some people would prefer a protagonist, but I have been vocal of how I prefer Monokuma. To me, this would represent Danganronpa a lot better than just a protagonist. You could do a fun moveset based around executions or a fun moveset based around moves from trials. It also helps that visually, well, Monokuma fits into Smash reasonably well. Combine that with some solid music and you know I will be sold. I also think low key we are on the verge of seeing a huge new wave of fans for Danganronpa. Trust me, this fanbase will be awful in 2-3 years.

Mike Haggar x 10

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
MONOKUMA

CHANCE - 7.5%

There's a chance, I guess. Spike Chunsoft is a fairly notable company that has collaborated with Nintendo on Pokemon Mystery Dungeon (and Cadence of Hyrule, kinda) and has several notable games on Nintendo consoles / Switch. Danganronpa in particular has yet to appear on Switch, or Nintendo at all for that matter, but if they felt that there was value in Monokuma / a Danganronpa character I don't believe that would prevent them from doing so. I think if we got any character from Spike Chunsoft it'd be a Dangan character, and if we got a Dangan character I don't really think there's a more fitting choice than Monokuma.

So what's the value in adding Monokuma? Well, Danganronpa has gained quite the reputation over the years. Just the other day it was announced that they were crossing over with Puyo Puyo (which is pretty damn big in Japan) for a line of merchandise - not really anything incredible on its own, although it's pretty significant to see Danganronpa join right alongside pretty massive brands like Sailor Moon and Sanrio in these sort of collaborations. And this is just one example, I'm sure someone more involved in the series could tell you some more examples of things like this. It was just a bit of a reminder that this series is growing substantially, and if what I see on Twitter is anything to go by this popularity is not exclusive to Japan either.

1612545912150.png

I think what trips Monokuma up, aside from a general lack of presence on Nintendo (we got Joker, Persona Q2 be damned Joker shattered this wall don't @ me) is that as a VN Danganronpa is not the kind of game that provides much obvious potential. As always I believe Sakurai could make something work, but the question becomes whether or not Danganronpa would be a series on Nintendo's mind when thinking of notable series with potential fighters. To me it's a lot more of a gamble to believe that the corporate suits at Nintendo have the creativity to envision a VN character's potential. I don't really think it will get anything, but I think it'd be a lot more likely to see Danganronpa receive non-playable content for the time being, until it gains a bigger presence on Nintendo or sees a significant growth in fan demand over the years.

A Monokuma Mii Costume would be fun.

WANT - 10%
Sorry, I really don't want Danganronpa in Smash. At least the music is good and Monokuma is more tolerable than any of the human characters would be, but to be honest with you a Danganronpa character is one of the few things that I actively do not want to see in the game.

Trust me, this fanbase will be awful in 2-3 years.
It's not already?

PREDICTION:
Character With No Game on a Nintendo System - 17.15%

NOMINATIONS:
Billy & Jimmy Lee x10

Last edited:

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
I don't have the energy type a bunch aentences in less than 2 hours right now so I'll just leave my fighter pass predictions here for the sake of posterity.
Crash Bandicoot
Ryu Hayabusa
Gen 8 Pokemon

If you want to know why I predict these, just look at my recent posts on these 3 characters.
I'll rate the meme bear later. (But hopefully not too later.)

SWSU

Smash Apprentice
Monokuma:
Chance -3%

Monokuma would def make sense for the "Danganronpa" Rep over any of the students,and he certainly would have the moveset. But I just don't see Danganronpa being repped with a character. Just the idea of Sakurai doing a "Sakurai Presents" and explaining "What is Danganronpa" in the opening segment just seems.... too out there. The themes and plot of the game I think are just too dark for Smash. I think Monokuma would have better odds of being a Mii Costume instead. in a "Smash Bros x Monokuma" Splashcard they did for the other "Mature" Characters.

I am a big Danganronpa Fan, and for Visual Novel References Monokuma is definitely the one with the biggest moveset potential. So if he gets added in I will be VERY Surprised, but in a Pleasant Manner.

Last edited:

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Monokuma

Chance: 12% Not much has changed on Monokuma’s chance to be in Smash, so his chance is still quite low. But on the other hand, since Third Party villains are allowed for smash, he could be given a slight chance to join the fight, but against villains like Dr.Eggman, he doesn’t stand too much of a chance.

Want: 55%. He would be fun to play as, and I can see him fight Megaman, R.O.B and Banjo and Kazooie in a free for all. Overall, Monokuma would make a surprising but decent choice for a Smash Bros rep.

Prediction: Fighter not in a Nintendo game before (10%)

Noms: 5 for Stage: Bowser’s Castle

Last edited:

Zyliee

Smash Cadet
Chance: 20%

I don't doubt a Daganrompa character can get in, it is higher then many other franchises in my eyes... but it is a series that never really attracted me.

Want: 0%

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
Monokuma:

Chance: 20%

Monokuma would make a lot of sense if we were to get a Danganronpa rep. Even to people who don't know much about Danganronpa, they will instantly recognize him as that "Silly looking bear from that Murder Mystery Visual Novel series". He's also a mascot to Spike Chunsoft too. Spike is a very notable developer who has a strong history partnering with Nintendo so if they get any content in, it'd make a lot of sense why they get in. There's not that many notable characters they'd throw into Smash, though. One could argue a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon rep to get into Smash but in the end, that is still a Pokemon rep.

Also I think Monokuma has the best chances to be in Smash over other Danganronpa characters simply because it is hard to imagine someone like Makoto or Hajime fighting in the battlefield. It's possible they could get picked over Monokuma but Monokuma is extremely recognizable even to people who haven't touched DR at all while the main protagonists are... kind of plain. That may be a personal thing but Monokuma would be unique and Third Party villains are viable now.

Danganronpa hasn't gotten on a Nintendo console yet, which is strange. You'd think they'd put the main games on the Switch since a lot of Vita titles got ported to Switch and they'd fit well. That may be a hit to his chances. Danganronpa is a bit bigger than people give credit for. It's not a "huge" franchise but there's a good reason why it's one of Spike's biggest franchises and a Visual Novel rep is something we haven't had yet.

Of course there's huge competition here and Monokuma may not be picked yet depending on how Sakurai and Nintendo are prioritizing choices. Yet I can clearly see Monokuma getting in as an unexpected "Dark horse" choice.

Want: 90%

I would so love Monokuma to get in simply because I enjoy Danganronpa as a franchise. I met a lot of good people off it and the games are enjoyable. And a personal take but I do think Smash needs more Visual Novel content in the game so of course I will vouch for him.

Pillow

Smash Lord
Monokuma
Chance - 5% (Full Mii Costume, 50%)
If we get a Danganropa Rep, Monokuma is probably it. Not only is he the series mascot character but he also is the one that's easiest to make a functional moveset for. Danganropa is actually pretty dark, but I don't think that matters for his chances really. As far as Smash is concerned he's just gonna be a zany cartoonish dis pear bringing bear.

The biggest thing he has going against him is really that Danganropa is a rather small-time franchise relative to other things in Smash, or other things that could possibly be in Smash. If Sakurai a wanted psychological horror game, Silent Hill or even FNAF are far bigger games. If he wanted to bring visual novels to Smash there's Phoenix Wright, who's main criticism is the same as Monokuma's, his series isn't big enough and even then the Ace Attorney series is both bigger and more recognizable than Danganropa, or other characters like Saber (who's notable in Japan and not as completely unknown in the west as Danganropa is). Weirder things have happened in Smash (like I never thought I'd be able to see Joker in the game and he was the first announcement) but I'm just not seeing it.

Want - 90%
Yeah, I'm into it. My experience with Danganropa is limited, but he's the type of character I love to see, and usually play.

Lyncario

Smash Ace
"Godzilla defeats king Kong and then kills all of humanity. Wait, why are you guys cheering? This is supposed to give you all despair!"
-Monokuma
"First time?"
-Sephiroth

Chances: 15%

I feel like the chances for a Danganronpa character are around 20%, with the majority of said chance being for Monokuma, and the remainings being for the protagonists. So yeah, I think that Monokuma is pretty likely. And yes, I did forget to put him in the honorable mentions for the previous day. Anyway, onto why think that Monokuma has a good chance. Danganronpa is a popular visual novel series, who unlike Fate manages to still have the games be a big thing about it, at least from my experience. Now, it would be either Monokuma of Phoenix Wright for a VN character in my opinion, and while Phoenix easily wins on being like by Nintendo fans and having history with Nintendo systems, as Danganronpa has never been on a Nintendo system to my knowledge despite how it would be great to have on Switch. But on the other hand, Monokuma is owned by Spike Chunsoft, who also did Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, and Monokuma pretty much has little to no competition when it comes to the characters they own since well, they mainly do Danganronpa and Mystery Dungeon. So yeah, that's pretty good when it comes to earning good cookie points for getting in Smash. However, Ace Attorney as a game is also way more popular, as according to wikipedia the best selling Danganronpa game has a bit over 250k sales, while the AA trilogy has been said by Capcom to have sold over 1 million recently. But with how Danganronpa is still popular, how Spike Chunsoft has a good relationship with Nintendo, I feel like it could perfectly happen. Also Famitsu rated it hightly so that's good for it, I think. Also I don't think that "she" would be playable with Monokuma in most case scenarios.

Want: 70%

I haven't played the VN, but I liked the anime when I watched it way back. Monokuma could have a very wacky but fun and very cruel moveset that would make him very cool to play if you go with what he has and does in Danganronpa. The class courtroom would also be a nice stage, which funnily enough also applies to Ace Attorney. And also, the music would be cool to have. On top of that, Monokuma getting in would mean that both a new vilain join Smash, but also that a new series gets in, which would be nice as vilains in Smash tend to be very fun to play, so that's a plus. Also the final Smash would be ultra lit if it's different for every character, which is very unrealistic, but damn would it be awesome that all characters have personalised executions.

Predictions

Character with no games on nintendo systems: 34.7%

Nominations

Madeline mii x10

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Oh **** it's the 1 millionth Danganronpa rating

Chance: 1%
Danganronpa isn't on the Switch, or any Nintendo console for that matter, despite the games not being very demanding in terms of power. Spike Chunsoft isn't a huge developer with an amazing relationship with Nintendo. While Danganronpa seemed to be on the cusp of hitting something resembling mainstream status (at least, for a visual novel), it lost a lot of steam. It might even be over, but at best it doesn't look like a new game is coming out soon. With all that I don't know why Nintendo would be interested in it for Smash, especially over other, more popular visual novel candidates.

Want: abstain
I love Danganronpa but I don't care. If hr gets in Smash, Monokuma will have to win me over with his moveset and content, because I have no need or excitement about simply seeing Monokuma join the fray.

Noms: Agent 47 x10
No games on Nintendo prediction: a healthy 23.01%

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Henry Stickmin x355
Mii Costume: Madeline x325
Concept: A 4X strategy rep x295
John Marston x285
Concept: Team Fortress 2 rep x275
Worms x275
[Rerate] Velvet Crowe x270
Crazy Dave x270

250 - 201

[Rerate] Concept: League of Legends rep x227
Mike Haggar x225
Excitebiker x225
Concept: A 3rd party company gets more than one fighter in the same pass x215
Tetra x205

200 - 151

Agent 47 x195
Peppino (Pizza Tower) x192
Concept: Far Cry rep x184
Zagreus x175
Concept: Curly as Quote's alt/Echo x175
Concept: Miles Edgeworth as Phoenix Wright's Alt/Echo x160

150 - 101

Billy & Jimmy Lee x150
Concept: A Challenger Pack with 2 Fighters x150
Riptor x140
Mii Costume: Monika x135
Estelle Bright x130
Trevor Philips x130
Boss: Rayquaza x125
Stage: Bowser's Castle x122
Kaede Akamatsu x120
[Rerate] Carmen Sandiego x120
Boss: Ender Dragon x118
D.Va x115
Concept: A BioShock protagonist x111
Mii Costume: 2B x110
Senator Armstrong x110
Mii Costume: Alex Kidd x108
Rallen (Spectrobes) x105
Fulgore x104

100 - 51

[Rerate] Concept: Any new Xenoblade character x95
Giygas x90
Echo (Bowser) x90
Junpei (Zero Escape) x81
Concept: Darksiders rep x80
Sackboy x80
Stage: Tetris x80
Ryza (Atelier) x75
Concept: From Software rep x75
Concept: More ATs as one new item x75
Dwight Fairfield (Dead by Daylight) x75
Concept: Rocket League rep x75
[Rerate] Concept: New Zelda character x70
Echo (Olimar) x61
Ghirahim x60
Concept: SNES-era Final Fantasy rep x55
Gooigi x55
Vi (Bug Fables) x55
Echo: Zeraora (Lucario) x55
[Rerate] Jin Kazama x55
Magolor x55
Jin Sakai x55

50 - 25

[Rerate] Agumon x40
Mii Costume: Zagreus x35
Filia (Skullgirls) x31
Concept: Large and Normal Final Destination made into separate stages x25
Concept: Disgaea rep x25
[Rerate] Louie x25

Under 25

Regigigas x20
[Rerate] Metal Sonic x20
Grunty (Banjo-Kazooie) x20
Concept: Danganronpa protagonist x20
Yarn Yoshi x15
[Rerate] Shovel Knight x15
[Rerate] Zhao Yun x15
Tetris x10
Slash Kamei (Snowboard Kids) x10
[Rerate] Yuri Lowell x10
Jesse (Control) x10
Infernape x10
Demi-Fiend x10
Concept: Rocket League content x5
[Rerate] Thrall x5
[Rerate] Lara Croft x5
Stage: Tetris 99 x5
Concept: Raizing shmup rep x5
Donbe and Hikari x5
Soma Cruz x5
Concept: KOS-MOS with T-elos alt x5
[Rerate] Master Hand x5
[Rerate] Arthur x5
Pyramid Head x5
[Rerate] Elma x5
[Rerate] Brian x5
Firebrand x1

Henry Stickmin hops past Mii Costume: Madeline, becomes king of the noms list. John Marston shoots through Crazy Dave, Velvet Crowe and Team Fortress 2 rep, and makes camp in fourth place. Worms inch into the top seven, tied with TF2 rep for fifth place, leaving Velvet and Dave in a duel for the last spot.

Tetra, Mike Haggar, Excitebiker and A 3rd party company gets more than one fighter in the same pass all cross 200 noms.

Miles Edgeworth as Phoenix Wright's Alt/Echo presents 150 noms.

Carmen Sandiego, Fulgore and Rallen steal over 100 noms each.

Ryza, Stage: Tetris and From Software rep all surpass 50 noms.

Louie collects 25 noms.

Our new nominees for today are Grunty (20 noms), Demi-Fiend (10 noms), Concept: Disgaea rep (25 noms), and also a rerate of Brian (5 noms).

And now, probably the least disappointing disconfirmation I'll have to announce:

Disconfirmed

Freddy Fazbear (4.31% chance - 17.48% want)

Zyliee

Smash Cadet
You need at least two sentences for both chance and want for your scores to count.
Implying I care about imaginary score points
I am just throwing out my two cents on something I know nothing about besides images and posts from others. Even now learning it ain't Nintendo but I keep my chances since Sakurai does what he wants with what he likes.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Monokuma

Chance: 5%
Yeah, I'm pretty sure his time has passed. I'll give him this, Danganronpa is probably the most likely Spike Chunsoft series to get into Smash. Problem is, the series STILL hasn't come to Switch for whatever reason. Plus, the 10th Anniversary seems to be dying down by now, so that's off the table. As much as I hate to say it, I don't think this is happening.
Despite having never played the games, I really enjoy Danganronpa. Monokuma himself would fit pretty well into Smash. He's got a lot of unique abilities that wouldn't be too out of place here. Plus, the possibilities for a stage and ESPECIALLY the music are top notch. I know he isn't going to happen, but I definetly wouldn't complain if it happened.

Nominations: Concept: Disgaea rep x10

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Mr. Monokuma

Chances: 2%

I doubt that he's getting in over the Ultimate Hope, yeah he is recognizable but what will he be doing to represent the series' mechanic cause as someone who have played and watch plenty of gameplay the Class Trial is by far the most iconic thing about Danganronpa and yet Monokuma doesn't even do anything other than cracking some one liner, give hint and punish the culprit. We all know that Sakurai likes to represent the series very closely but Monokuma just ain't it, he's just represent the word "Murder" in Murder Mystery and mascot. People say that it'll be weird to see Makoto fighting but doesn't realized that Phoenix never even land a single fist on the prosecutor other than bringing up MvC and tell everyone over and over again that he can fight while Makoto or any other series protag can't??

And also his case is really different than Slime because Sakurai knew that SE is a hard company to negotiate so he have to think for another character as a "second best choice" since he really badly want DQ as the game is monumental. But on the other hand Danganronpa doesn't have anything to be proud of, they don't have any significant legacy or history in gaming that will have Sakurai go Apesick.

Want: 2%

I just don't like him as a character, he's pretty annoying in my opinion and I really dislike overly comedic character on something like a social deduction game Danganronpa, yeah he's the game's breather but the students already cover me up and sympathize with. On the other hand tho I'm alright with Junko but I don't think Sakurai want to risk a spoiler for a heavy story driven game which is probably the most interesting about VN.

Noms: Disgaea rep ×10

Last edited:

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Monokuma

Chance 5 - So yeah, somehow I always forget that Danganronpa isn't actually on Nintendo consoles when I'm doing these ratings. While I have argued in the past and will continue to argue that being on Nintendo doesn't matter very much anymore, I still think it does matter to an extent. For someone like Master Chief or Kratos it absolutely does not matter. For a character from a fairly niche series that's bad. There's also the issue I've brought up in the past with DR in that it's really hard to rep both the gameplay and violence aspects of it. Monokuma obviously reps the violence but having a moveset based around the gameplay would make 0 sense for him. It feels like for the best rep possible of the series you need both.

Want 100 - I love Danganronpa. The series is really enjoyable and has sent me on 2 emotional rollercoasters so far. Planning on starting the 3rd game soon as well. Monokuma is probably the rep I want to see the most from the series and I think people saying he has a lack of moveset potential is very untrue, as you could pretty easily make one based around executions and his other violent actions in the game. Overall I'd love it but I really don't expect to see 16 Smash characters having a class trial any time soon. Now that I think about it there's also some really good reveal trailer potential here as well that makes me feel pretty excited to think about

Predictions:
Characters without content on Nintendo systems - 14.65%

Noms:
Far Cry rep x10

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
There's also the issue I've brought up in the past with DR in that it's really hard to rep both the gameplay and violence aspects of it.
I mean violence is not a big selling point for the series, I know that the murder scene is pretty grim and the execution count as violence I guess but it's not that violent if you know what I mean, or are you talking about the spin-offs which is much brutal than the main series, but the main point of Danganronpa, like Ace Attorney is the investigation, mystery and debate.

Last edited:

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
I mean violence is not a big selling point for the series, I know that the murder scene is pretty grim and the execution count as violence I guess but it's not that violent if you know what I mean, or are you talking about the spin-offs which is much brutal than the main series, but the main point of Danganronpa, like Ace Attorney is the investigation, mystery and debate.
Unlike Ace Attorney though, violence and executions are still huge parts of the game. You can easily rep Ace Attorney through straight investigating and gameplay and the likes because you see very little of the actual killings. With Danganronpa it's a lot different because you see so many death on screen as they happen.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Unlike Ace Attorney though, violence and executions are still huge parts of the game. You can easily rep Ace Attorney through straight investigating and gameplay and the likes because you see very little of the actual killings. With Danganronpa it's a lot different because you see so many death on screen as they happen.
I mean I know that Smash Bros can't just have the character spurt out pink blood, I'd say focus more on the mechanic rather than the violent since there's more series that glorifies it more than Danganronpa while the Class Trial of the Danganronpa is actual what makes the game pretty unique, so for me Monokuma is a poor representation of the game element since you rarely see a dead body every 5 minutes (except in Ultra Despair Girls) but when you do find a body it's usually over the top, same goes with the execution. You could say just have the Final Smash be a unique punishment for each character which sorta represent Danganronpa dark nature but this only can fulfilled if the fighter is the main protagonist who can wield the series main mechanic.

The "too many death" is kinda exaggerated which i know that there's like 12 students and each of them die one by one but the timespan for when the investigation started is pretty far from each other cause usually it's filled with event that make you forget that the game you're playing is not an ordinary VN.

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Monokuma

Chance: 5% -
As I mention often, corporate connections are a huge part of third party negotiations, and if a character doesn't have this, they're as good as deconfirmed. This is a big advantage Monokuma has, as Spike Chunsoft has worked with Nintendo on various titles, so the relationship is there. Though until recently, Monokuma hasn't has much fan demand, and despite being the mascot, Sakurai usually goes for playable characters over mascots. It's why we got Hero over Slime. And unlike Junko, one could easily add a protagonist without spoilers. Though we have yet to see Danganronpa on a Nintendo system, and while people claim it isn't a barrier, it could indicate that Nintendo has no interest in the series. Salurai could vertainly push forit, but at the moment I only see Monokuma getting in under that circumstance. And that's if he's chosen over one of the protagonists. Monoluma could happen but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Want: 0% - I understand, these games are beloved in thisncommunity, and I'm sure they have a lot of merits! Though I myself just couldn't find anything to like about them when I watched my friend play them, outside of a couple of cute character designs. The big focus on executions really rubs me the wrong way, and the whole experience was just kinda eh, with one exception I really don't enjoy VNs. Furthermore, we only have three slots left, and Monokuma has a lot of gemre overlap with a series I've come to recently adore, the Ace Attorney series. I highly doubt we'd get both in the same pass, so Dangamronpa would essentially deconfirm Phoenix. Phoenix has been a major request for a long time, and never been ona Nintendo system Monokuma getting in over Nintendo mainstay Phoenix would be just.... wrong. Now, a Monokuma Mii would be cool, Spike Chunsoft does deserve something! But I can't find any reasons at all to want Monokuma as a playable smash fighter, especially with so few slots left.

Nominations:
4x strategy rep x5
Concept: Miles Edgeworth as Phoenix Wright's alt/echo x5

Predictions:
Characters not on a Nintendo system - 3.82%

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
THRIIIIIILLS! CHIIIIIIIILLS! KIIIIIIIILLS!

Chance 1% Danganronpa's merits have been mentioned multiple times in this thread and Monokuma's often the most suggested character from the franchise due to being the series mascot, but I don't think he'd be picked over an actual protag, most likely Makoto. Monokuma has something to work with due to the spinoff Ultra Despair Girls making Monokuma the generic enemies and a lot of comedic violence, especially in DR2. However, Sakurai's design philosophy for the DLC characters show his mindset is to portray the game as accurately as possible and you can't really do that for a franchise by making **** up or basing the entire moveset out of a spinoff, we also have precedence here. We got Joker and Hero, not Morgana and Slime, so being a mascot doesn't always give priority priviledges. Though let's say Sakurai's willing to make up an entire moveset for Monokuma, how would he represent the games in gameplay? Again, the protags have the advantage as another crossover fighting game just so happens to have a character from a visual novel with a similar structure to Danganronpa. This 'Joker Lawyer' or whatever their franchise is called shows that you can make a character like the protags work quite easily

Want 50% Honestly, I don't think Monokuma would work well and as I've said in the past, if I can't imagine what they can do, I'm not going to give a hard 100 rating regardless of my thoughts on the character and/or franchise. I do like Danganrompa a lot even if I struggle to call it good, with V3 being my favourite in the series. I just can't see an even remotely coherent or realistic way to add Monokuma, though for Monokuma? He's great, love this absolute ******* and he certainly has personality, but Monokuma doesn't really emote much physically and Smash has historically been disappointingly shallow with conveying character's personalities if they're on the talkative side, so I'm not confident that Monokuma's constant dark humour would get as much as 2 lines at most. At least he'd bring in music, DR's OST is great and so memorable that when I finally got around to playing the games like 5 years after seeing the anime of the first game, I still vividly remembered the main theme.

Velvet Crowe x5
Zagreus x5

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
Chance: 0
I see people bring up Monokuma a lot and I feel a lack of presence of Danganronpa on Nintendo consoles may be a significant knock to the chance of getting Danganronpa content in Smash.
But that's not why I'm putting it as zero, because I believe that if we did get Danganronpa content, it wouldn't be Monokuma. Dragon Quest is my precedent here, Slime is the face of the franchise but we got Hero, why? Because Slime only represents Slime, it doesn't represent Dragon Quest. That's what Monokuma does, he takes all of Danganronpa's mechanics and ignores all of them, instead watering the series down to the over the top cutscenes at the end of each case.
So in conclusion, he'd be a Taunt at most.

Want: Also 0, see above.

Inue Houji

Purplish Wig
Abstain
I like Danganronpa, however I'm having a hard time imagining how they'd play outside of a Villager or MvC3 Phoenix-like moveset, which doesn't interest me that much.

Predictions
Characters w/o Nintendo console appearances: 7.8%

Nominations
Rallen x5

Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Monokuma:
Decent Shot out of the Non-Hayabusa Third Parties, gets Ledgehogged by the Protags representing the Mechanics better, and Ryu Hayabusa screws over all Third Parties in my opinion.

I'll give him a Rating of 15%, and his Series as a whole a 60%

Want Score is 15%. Never cared for the Series, but he would be hilarious in the Context of Smash.

Nominations, what's that?

Top Bottom