• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Concept: Second F-Zero rep

Chance: 0.1%
Last game in the series was 16 years ago. I'm not sure why Nintendo hasn't bothered to revive the F-Zero series but regardless I don't see this happening. Seems like first party DLC characters are usually for promotional picks, highly requested names, and really relevant characters. None of those things can be said about any of the other F-Zero characters unfortunately. Best thing I can see happening is an echo pass that includes Black Shadow or Blood Falcon. Even then, I feel like a ton of other characters would have echo priority first.

Want: Abstain
Never got into the series so I won't give an actual score. Granted it would definitely be on the lower end of my wants since there are a lot of other Nintendo series I'd want to see get revived first. Advance Wars and Rhythm Heaven are two inactive series that come to mind. Plus none of the current F-Zero characters really speak out to me for really wanting them. So in short I'm not too crazy about this happening but wouldn't mind it and really think that Nintendo should revive this series already.

-----

Cooking Mama chance prediction: 7.34%

Nominations:
Concept: Curly as Quote's alt/echo x5
Concept: A 3rd party company gets more than one fighter in the same pass x5

(Sorry Sari, this still counts right?)
When days end there is a 1 hour period for ratings to still be counted. Yours was less than a minute after I started the new day so you're good.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Show me more of your moves!

Chance: 1%

This largely depends on whether or not a F-Zero game is coming out anytime soon. And that alone is looking unlikely with the series not having a game in 15 years. I was tempted to give out a straight (F) zero, but Black Shadow does have a surprising amount of requests so if by chance we get an echo pass, this could happen. But an echo pass is also very unlikely too. Basically, everything is going against this concept so unless if Nintendo pulls a fast one on us and F Zero gets a sudden revival, there is no chance of this happening. And even then Nintendo has multiple other titles they could shill too (Looking at you BOTW 2).

Want: 1%

The F Zero games are fun but they aren't my cup of tea. I just mostly play the original F Zero whenever I boot up my SNES Classic to play a few races and listen to the Mute City theme. Other than that, I basically have no attachment to the series. Plus I'm impressed how much content the series has when it hasn't gotten a new game in a long time. A playable character, several stages, a bunch of spirits, and over 20 music tracks. I'm perfectly satisfied with this content and I would rather see other first party series (cough cough Xenoblade and Golden Sun cough cough) get more content that is clearly missing.

Prediction: Cooking Mama - 5%

Noms: Among Us character x10

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Second F-Zero rep

Chances: 0%

F-Zero is a "sleeping" franchise, as Nintendo says it. What they actualy mean is that it's dead in the ground. So, why would they another character of that series to Smash? Well, they could want to promote the upcoming F-Zero game, since after all, a twitter account for it has been discovered with a similar e-mail to the still innactive twitter account for the 35th Mario anniversarry, and there's pretty much no way that this twitter account is a troll, since it has been created around the same time as the Mario35 twitter account. Is what I would have said months ago when we still did not knew that it was extrmly fake and jsut made to toy with our hearts, hopes, and dreams of seeing Captain Falcon come back in his own series. And considering that the Yakuza director said that he would be very happy to make another F-Zero game, even so long after GX came out, I think that it's safe to assume that he's not secretly working on it, and even if he was, it's way too soon considernig how recent Yakuza: Like a Dragon is, meaning that even in the event of this miracle happening, it's not gettnig in Smash because it would start development way too late. Also, would they really add Black Shadow or Blood Falcon outside of base game? Blood Falcon would only work as an echo, and he's already an alt for Captain Falcon, so we ca nalready count him out. And Black Shadow, he's really the one choice I can see them go with, but I'm sure that the though of another F-Zero character in Smash did not even cross anyone's mind at Nintendo, especialy not as dlc. And then there's Samurai Goroh, but he's already an AT. And anyone else I just cannot see as even an AT.

Want: 60%

It would be really cool. F-Zero is a great series with a lot of characters with great characters with cool designs, and while they have no moveset potnetial, well neither did Captain Falcon and he's one of the coolest character in the entre series. Black Shadow would be a cool new super-heavy vilain character, Blood Falcon is almost a no-brainer for an echo fighter and would still be cool, especialy with slightly altered stats and some moves acting diffrently, Samurai Goroh could be really fun as a kinda clunky swordfighter that hits hard. Really there's many cool posibilities for a new F-Zero rep, and most of them would be great. A shame that none of them have a chance, and even in the miraclulous event that it would happen, it would still not give a new chance to the F-Zero series, which is pretty sad.

Predictions

Cooking Mama: 8.9%

Nominations

Madeline mii x10
Keeping my extra nominations

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Second F-Zero playable character
Chance: 5% and that’s being generous. Despite the series having playable rep in Smash since the very first Smash game, F-Zero has been on hiatus since Climax (Japan)/GX (everywhere else). Unless it’s to tie in with F-Zero GX HD or (haha what are the odds this’ll EVER happen) a NEW F-Zero game, I’m not counting on it.

want: 100%
that said, I WOULD FREAKIN LOVE IF BLACK SHADOW IN PARTICULAR GOT ADDED. After Sephiroth, I suddenly just really want Black Shadow even if he’s got a snowball’s chance in hell. Also I can recreate the WATASHI WA SHINEN SHINENZUUUU scene

nominate:
KOS-MOS with T-elos alt (Xenosaga) x5

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Second F-Zero rep
Chance: 0%
Man, just look at the state of the F-Zero series right now. If Nintendo even entertained the idea of another F-Zero character on the roster we would've had another game by now. Captain Falcon is the only rep this franchise has had since the existance of Smash Bros for a reason. F-Zero won't be considered for a DLC character since it's pretty clear Nintendo has no interest in supporting that series. Besides, all F-Zero characters next to Falcon himself are incredibly niche to the casual audience and have little to no moveset potential. Falcon's moveset was entirely made up back in the day and I don't think Sakurai would do something like that again these days. That's the reason most ideas for more F-Zero newcomers are just echoes for Captain Falcon/Falcondorf. There's also Samurai Goroh but c'mon, he'd bring nothing new to the table and there are better options for katana fighters out there. Let's not forget we just literally got one as well.

Want: 1%
I'm not opposed to a revival of F-Zero, Nintendo should absolutely bring it back. It does not need another character however, atleast not a non-echo. I think the series is represented in Smash just fine honestly. There exist first-party series more deserving of the spotlight, wether they are already repped on the roster or not.

Cooking Mama: 6.88%
Henry Stickmin x10

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Second F-Zero Character

Look at F-Zero. It's dead. Falcon in Smash and some references in the likes of Mario Kart and the likes of Nintendo Land were propping up the corpse of the series. Whilst I could perhaps see a second F-Zero character making the base roster in a scenario where there's lots and lots of first party focus, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to make Falcon's rivals paid DLC.

Want:
Samurai Goroh: 95%
Black Shadow: 30%
Anyone else: 0%

A bit of a difficult one to judge since it's entirely up to who they add, so feel free to just use 'Abstain' for this.
Samurai Goroh's fantastic in general. I adore his goofy but villainous personality, and aside from the fact I view him as the true blue 'second' F-Zero character, he'd also be a shocking add for breaking the Assist Trophy rule.
Black Shadow has a great aesthetic but I only ever think of him as the guy everyone wanted in to allow Ganondorf to stop being a fat Captain Falcon.
Everyone else: F-Zero has some great designs...buuuuuut.....no one outside of Goroh and Black Shadow really stands out to me.

Cooking Mama prediction: 4.32%

Nomination: Mii Costume: Alex Kidd x10

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Chance: 5%
This probably won't be happening. Nintendo has tons of franchises and characters that they could be adding to Smash, and I don't know if F-Zero would be prioritized. Samurai Goroh had demand at some point but it's not as strong right now, and aside from that there's no character that's really popular. Maybe if Nintendo has future plans for the franchise it could get the nod. Or maybe if there's an Echo Pass Black Shadow would be one of them. But that's a lot of ifs.

Want: 100%
F-Zero's been in since the first game, it's way overdue for a second character. Give me the best bad guy ever Black Shadow ramming people with his head horns. Give me Falcon's rival Samurai Goroh, we need some samurai in Smash. A new fighter could even bring back all the bizarrely cut content like Mute City Melee and the majority of F-Zero's good tracks (seriously, why did we lose most of the soundtrack for a bunch of SNES rips?). Falcon's too lonely, let's give him a friend.

Noms: Marina Liteyears x10
Cooking Mama prediction: I hope somewhere around 14.73%

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Concept: Second F-Zero Rep

Chance: 5%. It might be a long shot, but F-Zero did get one fighter, being Captain Falcon, but it’s been 21 years since we had a new fighter from F-Zero. The main question is who?. The most likely rep is Black Shadow, who could be an Echo, but even that is a long shot.

Want: 100% F-Zero needs a second rep and there are quite a bit of options. Black Shadow would make a fun Echo of Captain Falcon and he would have horn Attacks to give him a bit of a difference. Jody Summer is another great choice, as she would be a fun fighter, plus we can use more female representation. But my personal choice would be Bio-Rex, as he is a dinosaur, and we need more dinosaurs in the roaster. He would be fun to play as and I can see him fight Yoshi at Figure 8 Circut. Overall, I’ll be up for a second F-Zero rep.

Prediction: Cooking Mama (5%)

Noms: 5 for Giygas

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Captain Second
Chance:0%: I doubt that we're getting a new F-Zero . .ever, really, and even then, there'd be no reason for the few spots we have left to have one of them be a representative from a franchise that is dead in the water and already has a character in the game. So, sadly, I don't think this is happening. As well, even if a new F-Zero happened, I feel as though they'd simply give it a spirit event and some Mii Costumes, if anything, not a playable character.
Want: 100%: I love F-Zero. It's one of my favorite racing games ever and every game has something different to add. As well, the cast is great, and I love every single one of them. They're all so unique and diverse that I honestly think any one of them could be a great addition to the game. That's not even talking about the thought of getting another F-Zero stage and more tracks, because good lord there's some really good tracks in those games. As well, a new F-Zero rep would also raise the prospects of finally getting a new F-Zero game, which is a prospect I especially want.
Nominations: Peppino x10

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Hmm another f-zero character

chances: eh 5% not impossible but severely unlikely. i think nintendo will be focusing big switch titles and hugley popular character/games neither of which apply to f-zero. demand for another f-zero character seems to be dwindling all the time. theres still some support here and there but nothing major so barring a surprise new f-zero game being in the works i dont think itll happen. i can believe that nintendo would suggest a character from any of their series, hence the five persent, but again i think theyll be focusing on switch games.

want: 25% while ive never played an f-zero properly i can still support this. ive seen a lot of the f-zero characters and they are a wacky bunch many of whom would be hilarious in smash. also id like to see what kind of moveset sakurai could make for most of them. theres a few here and there id rather we didnt get but thats the case with any series. even zelda managed to create a character i didnt like. so yeah wouldnt be something id clammer for but certainly something id be ok with in the long run.

nominate qbby x10

My internet at home SUCKS due to the area I live in
you on bt as well?

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Second F-Zero Rep

Chance: 0.1% -
I don't have much confidence in this at all. Nintendo's statements on the franchise and their general lack of enthusiasm for continuing it (despite the constant references to it in other games) definitely doesn't bode well. F-Zero hasn't had a new game in 16 years despite Falcon himself becoming iconic via Smash. Fan demand has greatly died down for its' characters as well, no doubt due to the current conditions for the franchise being discouraging. Samurai Goroh and Black Shadow enjoyed a lot of support but have fallen by the wayside as of late. One could compare the situation to the one Metroid used to be in, but the series was still getting games and it had what was one of the most requested characters in modern Smash history. Things really aren't looking good for F-Zero and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Want: 50% - I'm not really an F-Zero fan so there aren't any characters in it that I'd be enthusiastic about supporting. Furthermore, Sakurai had to make up most of Falcon's moveset, so unless he's willing to get creative again I just don't see this working out. However, as a fan of another more niche (but also more active) Nintendo franchise with only one rep (Pikmin), I do feel bad for them and know how they feel. Five games and only one rep is ridiculous. They do at least deserve someone like a Black Shadow echo, to round out the franchise's representation a little better and to give Falcon a villain. So while this isn't my first choice for a first party rep, I'd definitely give it priority over a lot of other franchises, even niche ones (looking at you, Earthbound).

Nominations:
4x Strategy Rep x5
Concept: Miles Edgeworth as Phoenix Wright's alt/echo x5

Predictions:
Cooking Mama - 3.85%

Last edited:

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Zero took offense to that.

Chance: 1%. Not impossible, but unless Nintendo has plans for a new F-Zero game in the relative future (and I'm pretty sure they don't), F-Zero's chances of ever getting another rep are nil. The franchise is outright dead, with Smash and other references being the only thing keeping it from forgotten. Not a single new entry since... 05? 04?. Not one that is particularly popular since 03. That's a mark of a franchise that Nintendo's given up on, and I have a feeling that Mario Kart DS is behind it. That was what began Mario Kart's dominance on every Nintendo console bar the Wii. The fan demand is not very high, and the series has a massive split vote issue keeping any particular candidate from rising high... Black Shadow is something of an exception, but most people who want him want him as Ganondorf's trash can while the REAL newcomer is a new Dorf.

Most of them would also need a made up moveset. That being said, I doubt this is a genuine issue as long as they have a theme and a playstyle to work off of, but still.

Want: This time, I think I should abstain, for real. I don't have enough to say about the series. What I will say is that F-Zero is not for me, but it is for people who enjoy high speed racers.

Henry Stickmin x 5. Mama will cook up a 5.00% on the dot.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
2nd FZero rep

Chance 1 - Unless we get a revival of the series I doubt this happens. Unfortunatly for fans of F Zero, it seems like that's not coming up. I think there's some real potential for a few characters. Black Shadow could completely adopt the Ganon-Falcon moveset. Samurai Goroh already seems interesting enough based on his AT. We're not lacking characters. Nintendo just doesn't seem interested in it though. Hell, Falcon hasn't even shown up in Mario Kart yet, which seems so obvious that it's shocking he hasn't yet given that Animal Crossing and Zelda characters already have.

Want 50 - It depends on who it is. Samurai Goroh would be a cool AT upgrade. And like I said above, there's a legit role for Black Shadow to fill as well. As long as it's not stupid I'd be fine with it. It would also be a pretty big surprise considering FZero has been in since 64 but hasn't really gotten any upgrades. If I was running things I would have moved Ganon's old moveset onto Black Shadow and redesigned Ganon from scratch.

Predictions:
Cooking Mama - 10.43

Noms
Far Cry rep x10

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
[Rerate] Monokuma x205
Qbby x195
Concept: Characters that don't have games on Nintendo platforms x175
[Rerate] Concept: League of Legends rep x172
[Rerate] Neku x169
Crazy Dave x160
Worms x155

150 - 101

John Marston x150
Mii Costume: Monika x135
Beat (Jet Set Radio) x135
Concept: A 4X strategy rep x130
[Rerate] Velvet Crowe x125
Boss: Ender Dragon x118
D.Va x115
Concept: Among Us character x115
Mii Costume: 2B x110

100 - 51

Stage: Bowser's Castle x96
Riptor x95
Mii Costume: Alex Kidd x93
Boss: Rayquaza x90
Marina Liteyears x85
Fulgore x84
Concept: Darksiders rep x80
Sackboy x80
Concept: More ATs as one new item x75
Dwight Fairfield (Dead by Daylight) x75
Concept: Rocket League rep x75
Giygas x71
Junpei (Zero Escape) x63

Echo (Bowser) x60
Echo (Olimar) x56
Concept: SNES-era Final Fantasy rep x55
Gooigi x55
Vi (Bug Fables) x55
Echo: Zeraora (Lucario) x55
[Rerate] Jin Kazama x55
Magolor x55
Jin Sakai x55
Ghirahim x55

50 - 25

Concept: Far Cry rep x50
Tetra x45
Concept: A Challenger Pack with 2 Fighters x45
Peppino (Pizza Tower) x42
[Rerate] Concept: New Zelda character x40
Concept: Miles Edgeworth as Phoenix Wright's Alt/Echo x40
Henry Stickmin x40
Concept: Curly as Quote's alt/Echo x30
Ryza (Atelier) x25

Under 25

Regigigas x20
Filia (Skullgirls) x19
Yarn Yoshi x15
Billy & Jimmy Lee x15
[Rerate] Shovel Knight x15
Concept: A 3rd party company gets more than one fighter in the same pass x15
Tetris x10
Slash Kamei (Snowboard Kids) x10
Estelle Bright x10
Mii Costume: Zagreus x10
Mii Costume: Madeline x10
Senator Armstrong x10
Concept: Rocket League content x5
[Rerate] Thrall x5
Stage: Tetris x5
[Rerate] Agumon x5
[Rerate] Lara Croft x5
Stage: Tetris 99 x5
[Rerate] Concept: Any new Xenoblade character x5
Concept: Raizing shmup rep x5
Donbe and Hikari x5
Soma Cruz x5
Firebrand x1

Monokuma crosses 200 noms. Concept: League of Legends rep moves past Neku and into third place, but then Concept: Characters that don't have games on Nintendo platforms passes Worms, Crazy Dave, Neku and LoL rep and nabs third place from right under its nose.

Janx_uwu Janx_uwu There's no thread for the protagonist of Dead Cells, so they can't be nominated. Anyone else you'd like to nominate instead?

Inue Houji

Purplish Wig
2nd F-Zero rep
The series is unfortunately dead, at least for the moment. While a new game is possible,
I doubt there'll be another F-Zero game soon. With that being the case, there's no reason for Nintendo to promote it. I also doubt the character would generate a lot of sales.
For the next game as a base character, there might be a sliver of a chance, but it's far from likely.

Want: 10%
I have no real connection to the series, not having played any F-Zero games other than the NSO one. I don't know much about the characters either, for that matter. Captain Falcon himself only has a moveset thanks to the Dragon King prototype of Smash. As such, it's hard to envision a moveset outside of the oft-mentioned Black Shadow replacing Ganondorf. The music is great though, and I do want to try other F-Zero games.

Predict Cooking Mama: 9.23%

Nominations
Beat x10

By the way, sorry to bother you GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 , but I think you missed my 5x for Beat yesterday.

Last edited:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Second F-Zero playable character

Chance: 1%

I'm mostly putting that 1% for pity.... I don't see this happening unless Nintendo decides to go for revival of F-Zero. Even then, it will be mostly represented through spirit or Mii costume. But, I guess playable character can happen if Captain Falcon gets replaced... Yeah, I don't see it. I don't think there will be even surprise or shadow drop. F-Zero has been dormant far too long to be recognizeable besides contents in Smash. And, there doesn't seem to be enough content to fill the slot.

Want: Abstain

I played F-Zero before, but other than that, I don't have much attachment to the series. I don't think Nintendo wants to revive this when there is Mario Kart. Too bad, if they totally revives this, I may dig in. I won't be mad, but I won't be excited either. I will be mostly disappointed because there are better candidates.

Nom: Characters that don't have their games on Nintendo platform x 10

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Chance: 0% Let's face it, F Zero is dead. No other way of looking at it. It's been nearly 20 years since the last game and Nintendo has shown no desire to re-use the IP, their current direction on uniqueness instead of power also hurts as F Zero's a tech demo first and foremost in their eyes like Star Fox and likely ARMS. There's demand for a comeback but Nintendo sadly just doesn't seem to care.

Abstaining on want due to unfamiliarity and the inherently broad options.

Velvet Crowe x5

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Inue Houji Inue Houji iirc your post yesterday only had 2 sentences so you didn't earn any noms.

L Lionfranky After Cooking Mama's day we'll begin the fixed schedule that was created after Sephiroth's reveal. The top seven nominees will get locked on the last day of that fixed schedule (Fighter Pass predictions day, which should be day 570).

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Ah, I see. I didn't know there was a minimum limit. Thought you just got bonus noms if you had enough. What exactly is the minimum?
At least 2 sentences for both chance AND want. So essentially at least 4 in total.

Last edited:

Joinallthreacs.smash

Smash Journeyman
F-Zero is long dead, 0% chance.

I'm gonna nominate Destiny Content, it probably has no chance, but it warrants discussion because the game is in a breakout phase.

Mr. MR

Smash Apprentice
Another F-Zero rep

Chance: 0.5%
I don't see this happening at all especially in this pass. Before I can give a second F-Zero a rating above 1%, the series first needs a new game or at least something fresh. As it stands now, this series is dead and Captain Falcon is it's only survivor who is now more associated with Smash than his own series. He couldn't even make it as a playable character in Mario Kart 8 despite having the blue falcon and two F-Zero tracks. The best chance for F-Zero is my opinion is base game content as an echo but that ship is already gone. If we do get echoes after the pass it will probably be from another more alive series.

Want: 15%
I have not played his series but I still don't want another F-Zero rep. The percent I give is because if we do get an F-Zero rep it means Nintendo is not only bringing back the series but also Nintendo is investing in the series. It would be exciting to see how Nintendo takes a dead franchise and revives it. Also I'm sure an F-Zero rep would be fun to play if it's anything like Falcon (fast pace, combo oriented and flashy). Still for this pass I generally don't want to see a dead series represented and would much rather see how Nintendo can keep topping their last presentations with Third Parties.

Noms: Uh... IDK Stage: Tetris x10

Predict: 5.555%

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Second F Zero Rep

1% Chance

This either happens in one of two scenarios. First, we get a new F Zero game that could use promotion. Second, we get an echo pass and Black Shadow is on it. Right now I am iffy on both. F Zero has been dormant for a while. While it is clear that there is demand for this sort of game, it seems like Nintendo is just twiddling their thumbs. An echo pass rn also feels unlikely. While I think at first it looks promising, the fact Nintendo has not jumped on this so far makes me doubt it would happen. As a result, we got a dormant franchise that really does not have a strong road to getting new content.

Abstain Want

Look, I still need to beat F Zero GX to give this a fairer rating. Right now I would likely give it something like a 50. I would like Black Shadow as an echo, but having a full fledged spot on the pass is something idk how I would feel about. I do not want to risk tanking the want score because I just do not have a strong enough connection to F Zero. Maybe next time I will be a bit more in depth on how I feel about it.

Neku x 10

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Day over.

Rate Cooking Mama.

Tomorrow marks the first day of our rerate schedule, so predict Eggman & Chun-Li.

Megadoomer Megadoomer

-----

Some songs to get into the cooking mood:

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I wonder what happened with her last game, nobody talks about it anymo- oh god what the ****

Chance: 1% I don't really see it happening for multiple reasons. For starters, there seeks to be very little fan demand, not a good sign really. Second, the franchise seems to have left very little impact as it isn't highly discussed, though to be fair, it's audience is very casual so it's not like HARDCORE GAMERZ would care about it. Finally, there seems to be some legal issues, though that could be me misunderstanding the situation behind the latest game.

Want: 30% Sure, why not? I enjoyed the original back in what, 2006? I like cooking even if I'm a lazy ass about it myself but I'm very curious how a chef fighter would work and I doubt she'd be like El Fuerte. Maybe even have her get pissed for a special move which increases the power of fire based attacks going from a low heat cooker to a searing hot pan attack. Quirky characters for the sake of quirkiness usually feel forced but I'm willing to keep an open mind here

Velvet Crowe x5
Zagreus x5

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Abstaining on Cooking Mama.

Eggman chance prediction: 47.00% (while I do think Sephiroth helps him a bit, I'm expecting a ton of overrates)
Chun-Li chance prediction: 34.00% (she's been the topic of a lot of recent Smash speculation so this will be interesting)

Nominations:
Concept: Curly as Quote's alt/echo x5
Concept: A 3rd party company gets more than one fighter in the same pass x5 (using extra noms)

Last edited:

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Cooking Mama

Chance: 5%. If she were to show up, she would most likely be a Mii Costume and/or spirit. But as time shows, many of are predictions have been proven wrong, so there is a slim chance that she could get in.

Want: 50%. She would be fun to play as however, and I can see her face off against Kirby, or encounter the Chef Kawasaki assist. But overall, she would be a decent fit in Smash Bros.

Prediction: Eggman (25%) and Chun Li (25%)

Noms: 5 for Echo: Bowser

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Cooking Mama
Chance: 0.5%
There are quite a lot of these Mama games. Almost all of them are on Nintendo systems so she's got that going for her. On the other hand the games don't seem to be all that popular and while I couldn't find any sales figures, critically it ain't a succesfull series, with review scores being generally mixed. The latest game wasn't an exception and is even currently in limbo due to being taken of the Eshop for mysterious reasons. The target audience for this character also seems to be actual mamas, very casual people and I don't expect Smash DLC to try to reach them. They likely don't play Smash and Smash players likely don't play cooking mama so I just don't think she fits.

Want: 0%
I'm just not interested. Mini-game copilations aren't my genre and I'm not in the right demograph for Cooking Mama.

Eggman: 27.76%
Chun Li: 35.25%
Henry Stickmin x5

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Cooking Mama, huh? Alrighty then, I've got nothing better to do.

Chance: 4%
Ignoring her taken-down game and possible legal limbo, I think she's got a decent enough chance. The most I can see her getting is an Assist Trophy, but even then we already have Chef Kowasaki. So I think it could certainly happen, I just haven't once heard her name spoken when it comes to Smash speculation. I've also never played a single game in the series.

Want: 10%
This is one of those characters where I would definitely be more excited to see how they unfold in terms of gameplay. Even then I don't think she would be super interesting. However my favorite character in this game is Link #3, so I'm sure they could make her really fun. Other than that I would prefer a lot of other characters before Cooking Mama.

Eggman: 40%
Chun-Li: 20%
Noms: Master Hand x5

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
did we ever actually see her children?

chances: err hmm probably 5%. the series is still active so thats something, one came out on the switch right? but the series is a little niche and lets face it niche nintendo series have enough trouble getting in. thats it really, i dont see it happening.

want: well i did enjoy the first 3 on ds so 25%. if nothing else it would be hilarious.

speaking of niche nominate qbby x5

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
did we ever actually see her children?
We saw her baby one time

Chances: As some who actually a huge fan of the series

About 5%

As a couple as people listed, like with Ms. Pacman, Mama is sadly in copyright hell, due to her recent, sketchy and ****ty game. While her games where important and sleepers hit to the causal Wii and DS era

That era has been long gone, and I fell like there are better and more important causal games in that era, that should probably be represented there first

At best, I fell as she could easily be a spirit and a Mii costume

Want: I desperately want more cartoony and goofy fighters in Smash, as much as the next guy!

Buuut, I don't think Mama is 4.99$ type of fighter, she probably should have been base game

So, 1%

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Leave it to Mama!

Seeing how I nominated her, I figure it's only natural that I write a Big Informative Post™ about her and her games. So, what's Cooking Mama?

Cooking Mama is a series of 14 games (6 main games + tons of spin-offs) developed by the creatively named Cooking Mama Ltd. They're firmly in the casual game genre, with the mainline titles consisting of several minigames that simulate cooking various recipes (with the spinoffs featuring similar minigames based on camping, babysitting, gardening and arts and crafts). Every single one of the games has been for Nintendo platforms, from the DS and Wii to the 3DS and now the Switch, and the games have always made use of the gimmicks associated with each console to form the basis of its gameplay. Simply put, you can't separate Cooking Mama from Nintendo, and I'd go as far as to call her one of those honorary Nintendo characters from the DS-Wii era like Professor Layton or Travis Touchdown. I can't find current sales data, but the series had sold 4 million copies in North America alone by May 2009, and that was before most of the games released so I imagine it's much higher than that now.

From what I've seen so far, two recurring reasons people are iffy on her are the critical reception of the games, and the legal trouble that faced the latest game, Cookstar. On the first issue, all I can say is, they're casual games. They weren't ever going to get 80s and 90s on Metacritic, that just doesn't happen with casual games. But, fair enough, they're lowbrow. I don't see that as much of a setback (if anything, it just means a Cooking Mama pack would appeal to a broader audience) but it's a fair point to make. The second, the legal trouble, stems from the very real situation the latest game found itself in, but it wouldn't matter to Smash. The problem with Cookstar is that the publisher released a game that they were no longer licensed to release by the IP holder; but who owns the IP is not in question, which is all that matters in terms of Smash negotiations. And thankfully, this Cookstar fiasco took place this year so the controversy couldn't have deterred Nintendo from adding her (if they so considered).

Now in terms of moveset, there's a lot that you can do with Mama. The chef archetype by itself is probably enough, it's untapped by Smash and would probably entice Sakurai. But if that wasn't enough, Cooking Mama also has the aforementioned spin-offs to draw content from (Mama throwing a baby, you know you wanna see it).

Will Nintendo go for Mama? Well, probably not. But would they consider her? Yeah, honestly, I think they would. She represents the DS era, minigame collections, and casual games, all aspects largely ignored in the Smash roster. She hails from a faithfully Nintendo franchise, and probably pulls in enough sales as it just keeps going. As a smaller third party, maybe like a Pass finisher, she makes a ton of sense. Smash speculation often tends to overlook the casual market so it's no surprise that I'm probably the first person to bring her up, but I see her series as similar to Story of Seasons - ignore it at your own peril because it could totally get in. We already have 2 characters from Animal Crossing and 1 from Wii Fit, so I'd say they're looking at casual games at least a bit.

Chance: 16%
Want: 90%

Cooking Mama is adorable, her voice acting is hilarious and nobody can deny they'd have a ton of fun smacking Sephiroth with frying pans or throwing spaghetti at Joker or whatever. I think she has the potential to be that "I never knew I wanted this" for a ton of people.

Noms: Marina x10
Eggman prediction: 32.71%
Chun-Li prediction: 39.76%

Now to finish that Agent 47 thread so that I can start nominating him tomorrow

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Cooking Mama

Chance: 20%

She's a faithful staple of the DS and the casual Nintendo handheld games. However there are legal issues which I sadly see as taking a hit to her chances, as well as low fan demand.

Want: 100%

Her games are cute and adorable, I think she'd make a great fit for Smash. She's also a icon of the DS as I said before similar to Phoenix Wright and Professor Layton. I think she'd also have a fun and unique moveset centered around cooking.

Last edited:

Lyncario

Smash Ace
The fact that Cooking Mama 2 is now being speedrunned.

Chances: 0.5%

Let's look at the facts here: Cooking Mama was a popular series during the DS/Wii era due to touching the casual audienc pretty well. It was less popular during the 3ds/Wii U era, but still there, even if not as popular. Then it kinda disapeared for some time when the Switch hapened, but came back gloriously with a new title, before getting high controversy, leading to the series pretty much going on a slow dying path, but then Jaiden Animation went "Daga Kotowaru" and made a video about it that reboosted interest in Cooking Mama. Oh, and there's also the parody that Peta made because they hate eating meat and made her all gory and stuff, but I don't want to talk about that for long. Well, that's kinda a lot to take in, and now, let's remember one thing: her last game was march 2020, which was extremly recent, and did not made her as popular as she was in her prime around a decade ago- holy crap this makes me feel old. Anyway, Cooking Mama would have been extremly more likely in Brawl or for Sm4sh, got in neither, and well, I don't expect her to get in at all beyond a spirit event if she's lucky, because the controversy her last game got? Yeah that was bad. There's also how there's little fan demand for her to get in, so that doesn't help her either. I just don't think that she's getting in Smash at all, even if there's still a very slim chance.

Want: 65%

Which is kinda a shame because she would be neat to have in Smash. A cooking based moveset could be very fun, and I like her series, even if I'm not really the target audience in term of age or gender, not that I care since I just like cooking and think the way it's presented in the game is very nice. Cooking Mama games are definitively a fun time if you're looking for a casual "sucession of mini-games" style games, though I wouldn't reccomand her last game because of the recent controversy, though the DS titles are still very fine and aged pretty well. Also her engrish accent would be so funny to hear in Smash.

Predictions

Eggman: 24%
Chun-Li: 36% (I expect a lot of high rating due to the recent leak that was discovered)

Nominations

Madeline Mii x10
Keeping my extra nominations

Top Bottom