• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Level 5 rep

Chance - 30% - While Level 5 is sorta past its prime, you can't deny that Level 5 was one of the major third parties associated with Nintendo. Especially during the DS era, Level 5 made some fairly iconic 3DS games, the most likely of which include Prof. Layton and Youkai Watch. The fact that they haven't gotten in is somewhat surprising, honestly. The fact they haven't gotten in may be something worth noting, but as of now I think if you had to pick a company that doesn't have any sort of representation in Smash, Level 5 is about as likely as one can get.

Want- 60% - I'd like Layton to get in, but would rather not have Jibanyan. I don't dislike Jibanyan to discount it completely, but enough to knock a few points down.

Nominations

Nippon Ichi Rep X5

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Level-5

chance- 50%: I know everybody is also doing the coin flip thing, but honestly it feels very hard to pin down level-5’s chances. They seem to fit the requirements for getting a dlc character, They’ve got a long working relationship with Nintendo and have notable enough characters to be in Smash, but they could also just simply be overlooked this DLC pass again. Level-5 seems to enjoy the most popularity in Europe and Japan rather than North America, which might mean is has a unique Unique demographic to appeal to the fighter pass, but they’re also less prominent than they were 5 years ago. I say they definitely have a chance, but could also easily be passed over.

want- 90%: if it’s Layton which I feel the best about in chances of level-5s characters, then I’ll be ecstatic. He’s my most wanted character in smash, one of my favorite game series, I would be through the roof.

anybody else for level 5 I’ll learn to accept over time but I’m always feel a bit disgruntled that Layton got robbed. Still would prefer having minor Layton references than nothing at all.

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
anybody else for level 5 I’ll learn to accept over time but I’m always feel a bit disgruntled that Layton got robbed. Still would prefer having minor Layton references than nothing at all.
Layton could definitely use at least an AT, a costume or something. I'm kind of baffled he hasn't yet tbh.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Day over.

Rate Earthworm Jim.

Predict Concept: DLC Music Packs.

Megadoomer Megadoomer

-----

Here are some songs (plus the cartoon intro) to get into the Earthworm Jim mood:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
The grooviest of worms

Chance: 4%

Earthworm Jim is not in a good spot. He has not gotten a game since 2010 and while he is getting another game this year, it's exclusive to the upcoming Intellivision Amico (TIL by the way). Plus he is a western character which doesn't help, especially when he is overshadowed by so many other characters. Other than the upcoming game, he has had 5 games, with one of them being a remake of the first game (which apparently is no longer available, what a shame). The third game on N64 and PS1 received mixed reviews and the last brand new game that was on the Game Boy Color was poorly received and effectively killed the series until the remake. The first two games are considered pretty good though.

But overall I'm not confident in Earthwom Jim. While he has Nintendo history, decent popularity and demand, and is a wacky series that I could honestly see being appealing to Sakurai, I don't think he will make this guy a priority. When it comes to classic series, games like Ninja Gaiden and Contra beat him when it comes to popularity, impact and legacy, and there are more popular western characters and I can only see us getting one or maybe two western characters, depending on how this pass goes with the first and third party ratio. What I'm trying to say is that I don't see why Earthwom Jim would be picked out of all characters. He has his positives, including his unique games and movest pool, but even if Sakurai might be interested in him, Nintendo wouldn't, especially since the game coming out this year is exclusive to a different platform. Overall, he has a lot of obstacles in his way.

Two final things. As for the moveset, he has his head whip, helicopter move, and according to the Earthworm Jim wiki, he has used 8 guns in his games. So with a bit of creativity Sakurai could create an interesting enough moveset. And TIL Earthworm Jim was in ClayFighter so he is already in a fighting game.

Want: 55%

I would be lying if I said there wasn't a part of me that would be happy about his inclusion. Earthworm Jim is one of those characters that you can't help but like once you get engrossed in one of his games. He has a lot of personality and would have a wacky moveset. The only thing is that I want several of my most wanted characters to get in before I would be comfortable with Earthworm Jim being included. But he is just so GROOVY!

Prediction: DLC Music Packs - 1%

Noms: Frank West x5

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Earthworm Jim

Chance - 1%
The Piranha Plant Percent™, because anything is possible I guess. To my knowledge he has like zero presence in Japan, and his presence outside of it seems like it was a flash in the pan. He's just...kind of a has-been. And the fact that his new game is going to be exclusive to an unproven console isn't in his favor. And even in the context of western characters there are tons who are bigger and even popular in Japan. He just has too many factors going against him for me to see him as a viable choice.

Want: 0%
Please no. Jim is one of the only characters I can think of that I actively don't want in the game, to the point where I'd put this score in the negatives if I could. Doug Tennapel is a legitimately awful human being who was actively brought back to work on the reboot despite that, and the IP doesn't have the cultural significance of something like Dragon Quest to offset it in my mind. Hard pass from me, and would be the one character I straight up wouldn't buy if he got in.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Earthworm Jim
Chance: 1%
I mean, I suppose he's not completely impossible... but I don't think he's got a lot of priority among western reps, nor a lot of acknowledgement from Nintendo, especially Nintendo of Japan. So it's a bit hard to see it happening. In spite of this, people who played his games still seem to remember them fondly, as evidenced by one of the latest nods to the game in Enter the Gungeon.

Want: 10%
Eh, he could be cool I guess. His gun provides an interesting point for his moveset and the weird aesthetic and music could give him something that other characters don't have. But that said, there are a lot of characters I'd want before him.

Predictions
DLC Music Packs: 1.29%

Nominations
Ahri x 5

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Earthworm Jim

Chance: 10%. He has some appearances in a few games, giving him a slight advantage. While it's been 10 years since he has been in a game, it should not stop him, as a few other characters (Pit, King K.Rool and Banjo and Kazooie) were absent for years before appearing in Smash Bros. Competition is still a concern.

Want: 55%. He seems like a fun character to play as, and with some moveset potential. I can see him facing off against Fox, Samus, Megaman and Incineroar in a free for all. A few soundtracks would not hurt either. Overall, he would be a fun character to play as and a great choice of a rep.

Prediction: DLC Music Packs: 5%

Noms: 3 for Meowth and 2 for Stage: Bowser's castle

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Earthworm Jim

Chance: 0.1%
His last appearance was through a remake of the original game back in 2010 while the upcoming Earthworm Jim 4 will be exclusive to the new Intellivision Amico console which hasn't even released yet. He doesn't have the fan demand of someone like Banjo which is really damning especially since he's a Western character. I don't even think he's remotely relevant in Japan since apparently neither Earthworm Jim 3D nor the remake of the original game got released there from what I could find.

Want: Abstain
Never really bothered to give the series a try so I'll abstain on a want score.

DLC Music Packs: 1.5%

Nominations:
Zelda (BotW sequel) x5

Last edited:

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
Jim but it's not Raynor

Chance: 0%
I fail to see why this'd be the character they decide to go for. His games were funky (gulping down the evil gold fish sure is one way to FINISH HIM) but I doubt the broader casual audience even knows about them today. Even back then, it never made the big titles. It was good but that's it. Didn't leave a real mark or anything. Not even sure it made it into Japan. There's pretty much no reason why it'd be welcome in this gaming celebration that is smash, even less so considering it's 3rd party.

Nothing really against Earthworm Jim but there are so many other characters we could have. So many other characters I'd love to have. Even if he got in, I wouldn't be thrilled. Like I said, I enjoyed the games but that's it. They didn't have any particular sort of impact on me or my vision on gaming or anything. I guess you could say they're "fillers", like many many many other games I've played.

Predictions: Concept: DLC music packs - 10%

Nominations: D.Va x5 (told you she was coming)

Last edited:

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Earthworm Jim

Chance 0 -I have a hard time seeing a reason why EJ is getting in the game. No new game since 2010. Not sure his prescene in Japan but I know he doesn't have much for support here. Not seeing many reasons he would get in

Want 0 - Not really interested in this character. There's many I'd rather have and I'd be more excited over

Predictions:
DLC Music Packs - 3%

Noms
Jin(Ghost of Tsushima) x5

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
No hoper
Jim hasn't been relevant in a long time. His series seems to be on a downwards spiral ever since the poorly received 3d game kicked it into dormancy aside from the occasional rerelease of the two original games. There's a new game coming but it won't be on the Switch or any current relevant platform but instead some upcoming, lesser known, kids console which I honestly don't see succeeding. Those first two games may be remembered fondly but I don't think the series ever made enough impact to be seriously considered for this pass. That and being a western third-party with little Japanese presence puts him into an even tougher spot and he doesn't even have much western demand to possibly make up for that.

There are atleast two western third-parties I'd much rather have. Looking at his rocky history also makes me think he isn't that deserving of a roster spot over way more relevant options. Honestly, if his first two games weren't so well liked he'd just be another Bubsy-tier character in my eyes.

DLC music packs: 4.74%
Papyrus x5

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
earthworm jim you say?

chances: 40% while i do believe anyone has a chance at this point i dont fancy his for some reason. maybe hes just not as well known as he used to be (or is that just me?) but you know never say never and all that, inactivity shouldnt matter, but sakurai can be fickle one rule for one character and so on. of course looking around here i seem to be the optimistic one

want: 50% i could take him or leave him i guess, we did have endless fun with earthworm jim on the n64 way back when, never did finish it. but i dont think id be going nuts with hype or anything. some of those wacky locations could make for some more stand outish stages so theres a few pluses so id porbably get him if he came

nominations: err deku scrub x5

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Earthworm Jim

Chance: 1% - Not confident in this one at all. While he does have some draw with his wacky design (which extends to the levels in his games) and does have a bit of Nintendo history, I just don't see him being chosen. His last game was in 2010, the 3D game was poorly recieved, and his newest release isn't coming to Nintendo systems (and going to a console that will likely fail. I hadn't even heard of it until now!). Also a relative lack of fan demand, lack of presence in Japan, and being a Western character (a limited category with VERY tight competition with characters like Crash, Spyro, Rayman, Dragonborn, Steve, Master Chief, and several others) is he nail in the coffin. While we have gotten plenty of surprises, I just don't see Jim as a priority in any way.

Want: Abstain - I don't have enough experience with the character to give him a solid rating. Though I would love to see what kind of stage he'd bring with him.

Nominations:
Louie x5

Predictions:
DLC Music Pack - 2.35%

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Abstain. I know nothing about Earthworm Jim. Although I noticed someone mention that the creator, Doug TenNapel, is a confirmed "horrible human being". Does anybody mind elaborating on that? I don't think it would affect Jim's chances considering certain additions, but just in case there's a line in the sand we don't know about.

Nominations: Brian (Quest 64) x5

Drason

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Coke
Earthworm Jim

Chance: 20%: Definitely an interesting character for both design and relationship with Nintendo. His potential from his games definitely makes him an interesting choice both in terms of moveset and how he'd interact with other characters. However, he doesn't seem to have a new game in the horizon nor any reason to come back for now especially as DLC. At least Banjo had the blessing from Microsoft and fan demand, Jim really has none of that

Want: 5%: Never really been that big of an Earthworm Jim fan. He has a cool design and can be used to switch up competitive play but that's really it

Nom: Nightmare(SoulCalibur)

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Abstain. I know nothing about Earthworm Jim. Although I noticed someone mention that the creator, Doug TenNapel, is a confirmed "horrible human being". Does anybody mind elaborating on that? I don't think it would affect Jim's chances considering certain additions, but just in case there's a line in the sand we don't know about.

Nominations: Brian (Quest 64) x5
Supposedly he said some transphobic things on Twitter and there is also evidence of him being against gay rights. You can look up his name and you will find articles from 2017. But like you said considering that we got music from Dragon Quest's composer this wouldn't be an issue.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Groovy!

Chance: 5%
I think you guys are underselling Earthworm Jim's impact, but aside from that I agree with everyone's thoughts. He really fell off the map after his disastrous transition to 3D. His latest game released a decade ago and honestly the upcoming game is probably vaporware, those consoles are usually investor scams. And given how being a Western character is a barrier for inclusion, he's behind the other, more likely contenders for that.

Want: 80%
None of that means that the first two games aren't classics, or that Jim isn't an incredibly funny character. Would be sweet to see him in full 3D glory and he'd make for a uniquely crazy fighter.

Nominations: Kasumi x21 and Terra Branford x37
DLC music prediction: 1.2%

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Today's the last day you can change the top seven, and it's looking like anyone's game. Nominate wisely.

Concept: Nippon Ichi rep x135
Baldi (Baldi's Basics) x125
Junko & Monokuma x110
Guardian (Destiny) x105
Concept: Fighter from repped third party franchise x101
Brian (Quest 64) x100
Gordon Freeman x100

100 - 51

Concept: Pokéball Pokémon becomes playable x95
Papyrus x95
Concept: No third parties in this Pass x95
Meowth x90
Ahri (League of Legends) x90
Decidueye x82
Kasumi (Dead or Alive) x81
Concept: Darksiders rep x80
Concept: Auroros, Jyk and Poppant as Assist Trophies x80
Proto Man x75
Sackboy x75
Frank West x75
Terra Branford x70
[Rerate] Steve x65
Dr. Eggman x56

50 - 25

Dwight Fairfield (Dead by Daylight) x50
Echo: Zeraora (41e) x45
[Rerate] Kratos x45
Boss: Ender Dragon x45
Concept: Fighter Pass Volume 2 is mostly first-party x45
Louie x45
Lu Bu (Dynasty Warriors) x42
Concept: SNES-era Final Fantasy rep x40
Echo: Lord Fredrik (67e) x35
Echo: Dark Bowser (14e) x32
[Rerate] Saki Amamiya x30
Zelda (BotW sequel) x30
Urbosa x29
Giygas x28
Concept: Pokémon Mystery Dungeon content x28
Concept: Assist Trophies added in updates x27

Under 25

Concept: Second F-Zero rep x23
Rival Pokémon Trainer x22
Concept: Returning stages x21
Mii Costume: Jill Stingray x20
Stage: Bowser's Castle x20
Red (Angry Birds) x20
The Stretchers x20
Fulgore x16
Zeraora x15
Black Shadow x15
[Rerate] Captain Toad x14
Gooigi x13
[Rerate] Jin Kazama x10
[Rerate] Agumon x10
Concept: Dark Souls rep x10
[Rerate] Monokuma x10
Gran/Djeeta x10
Lora and Jin x10
Otto Matic x10
The Avatar (Ultima) x10
Concept: No Spirit promotions x10
Chell x8
[Rerate] Professor Layton x8
Magolor x7
Taranza x6
Concept: Darkstalkers rep x6
Sparky (Clash Royale) x5
Concept: Overwatch character x5
Asha (Wonder Boy) x5
Mii Costume: Hat Kid x5
Concept: Portal 2 rep x5
Breath of the Wild 2 Ganondorf x5
Tick (Brawl Stars) x5
King Graham x5
Concept: Fortnite character x5
[Rerate] Andy x5
Cooking Mama x5
[Rerate] Toxtricity x5
Jill (Drill Dozer) x5
[Rerate] Takamaru x5
Diablo (Diablo) x5
Asuka (Senran Kagura) x5
[Rerate] Nightmare x5
Furret x5
[Rerate] Rex x5
[Rerate] Frisk x5
Concept: Generic Zora x3
Three Mage Sisters x2
Concept: A Pokémon Trainer who fights x2
Concept: A fighter who uses all kicks x2
[Rerate] Metal Sonic x2
Concept: Generic Goron x2

Concept: Fighter from repped third party franchise inches past Brian and is now in fifth place. Gordon Freeman shoots into the top seven, takes out Concept: Pokéball Pokémon becomes playable and ties with Brian for sixth.

Today's new nominees are rerates of Rex and Frisk, each with 5 noms.

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
Chance: <1%

I can't see a character like Earthworm Jim making it into Smash without massive demand like Banjo. It doesn't help he never had even a remote presence in Japan.

Want: 60%

He would be amusing, ngl.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Well done.

Chance: 5%. Jim doesn't have the fan demand to edge out his decaying relevance, or the fact that his next game will be an exclusive to a console that isn't Nintendo's own (if this sounds contradictory, Earthworm Jim as a series has largely fallen to the wayside, and while he has an upcoming game nobody's really talking about it so he isn't as relevant as simply having a new game would imply). While he has a moveset that would likely catch Sakurai's eye should he be brought up, he might also not have a Japanese release (which is a death sentence, unless western demand for him suddenly reached levels of Ridley meets Waluigi times two) which heavily suppresses how well he'd perform with the home audience of Smash. I just don't see it. That being said, if Sakurai has heard of him, he might stand a chance in the future as a Sakurai pick, but for now he has to prove himself to Nintendo and I don't think he can.

Want: That bridge involving TenNapel has been burnt (though, on my interpretation of EJ3D, if I recall correctly on the final boss, the art of the artist does reflect his views) the minute we let the works of Sugiyama in Smash, so I won't dock too many points from Jim on that regard. That being said, 45%. His games, at least the first two, are pretty damn good if I do say so myself. A heavyweight projectile zoner is already pretty rare, but Jim would be unlike anything we've had in Smash so far. The series fits in aesthetically perfectly. But right now, I'm not exactly interested in him and I have other things to go through. And, well, while Jim himself is one thing, TenNapel is another, and even though I won't let it tank his score to single digits I will take at least 10% off for it.

Red x 5. Ah, the Concept I'd started back when it seemed like things would be better. Let's just say the situation's changed and I can't quite see this happening. 2.67%.

amageish

Smash Master
Earthworm Jim

Chance: 2%. I can see a timeline where he's chosen, but... like... It's a tough battle for him without considerable fan demand.

He was a popular character for a generation and definitely did influence other platformers, but his franchise has also been deader then dead for a long while and his future prospects are, uh, grim. He has a lot of competition too - the category of "somewhat influential platformers" is a very large category with many potential Smash picks. He could have a good moveset, but I don't see why Nintendo would pick him over his competition right now.

Want: Abstain. He's in the category of "Oh, that character would be cool, but I would feel bleh about the associated people profiting off of Smash." I don't know how to put a number to that.

Noms: DoA Kasumi x5

Predictions: DLC Music? 15%.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Our Boy
Chance:0%; He's not happening, there are far more likely third parties. As well, the creator is an asshole Sakurai probably doesn't want to deal with, and the series kinda died with 3D anyways.
Want: 100%: I love his games and would love him in smash. Also the music.
Nominations: Gordon Freeman x5.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
As well, the creator is an asshole Sakurai probably doesn't want to deal
Don't think having to deal with assholes prevents characters from getting in in any way. Besides the infamous Sugiyama getting his music in the game, Sakurai dealt with Konami after they did all they did to Kojima, who he's close friends with. Sakurai is a professional and business is business, if Nintendo asks him to get a character he will.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
This sure is a video game character that exists

Let's see - a western character, from a series that may have had some success, but wasn't really ever a huge hit, has had two huge hiatuses already, didn't get a single game since 2010, has an upcoming game on a console outside of the usual Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft or even PC ones, and no real popularity in Japan? Yeah, this one definitely isn't happening. Forgive me if I don't give the one "anything is possible" pity-percent, but there's simply no conceivable timeline where I could ever see Nintendo or Sakurai chosing this character.

Want: Abstain.
I don't really have any familiarity with this character or series.

Nominating Concept: Fighter Pass Volume Two is primarily First-Party x5.

Predicting the Concept of DLC Music Packs to get around 2.34%.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Abstaining today

I am torn here. I do like Earthworm Jim a lot, at least the first two games. But Doug has always rubbed me the wrong way. Even excluding his transphobic statements, it’s just a vibe I get w him. Death of the author is a thing tho, but the art is very tied to him which makes it hard. I would say that the first two games are solid and as long as ya buy used ya don’t support him at least.

Nominating Rex x 5

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Abstaining on both today. I don't even remember if he's had any revivals/re-releases in a while now either. I think one was announced?

DLC Music(on its own): 0%. I don't see it coming outside of Character Packs or Premium Mii Costumes. That's the spot where they specifically come with, so I think they're sticking with that model. I would be all for it, though~

Noms: Fulgore x 4, Brian(Quest 64) x 1

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Jimbo.

Chance:1%

He's a video game character, but:
-Has fallen of the relevance side from over 20 years and doesn't have the advantages Banjo has.
-Is pretty much a "Who?" type of character for japanese audiences. I mean it was releaed over there, but that's it.
-Has no demand or interest from the creators.

Want:15%

I like Earthworm Jim. I think his desing and look and playstyle would be a welcoming addition to Smash over all the other choices out there, he just stands out so much in a good way. Unfortunately i feel is franchise should return to become relevant and important (not just as a exclusive for a ****ing Intellevision of all things) otherwise his inclusion would feel random as hell (i mean Jim in itself is wacky, and that's great, but what does he and his franchise have other many other 3rd party series with more prominence, worldwide appeal, etc? not much.)

Noms:
-No Third Paty characters in this Pass. X5

Neosonic97

Smash Journeyman
Double Abstain. Not really got any thoughts on Earthworm Jim.

Noms: The Terrarian (Terraria) x5

Last edited:

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Earthworm Jim
Chance: 1%
Not nearly as big a request from the West as other characters like Banjo, K. Rool, and Ridley were. His legacy is much smaller than games like Street Fighter, Pac-Man, and Super Mario Bros. I don't think Nintendo has any reason to pick him.
Want: 35%
He's a well-designed, funny, video-game character. I appreciate the artistic skill that went into creating him. I'm not terribly interested in his games, and there's not a lot I can see him bringing to Smash that isn't already done, but he has his own inherent appeal.

Nomination: No Third Paty characters in this Pass x5 a.k.a "another day of everyone giving double-zeroes"

warpenguin55

Smash Journeyman
Earthworm Jim
Earthworm Jim is extremely unknown in Japan. That alone might be enough to keep him out. I've also seen others say his creator is a POS, IDK if that hurts the chances of a character but it doesn't help at all.

Never heard of this character before playing Rate Their Chances. There are truckloads of western characters I'd rather have.

Noms: Baldi x5

Top Bottom