• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

Artix

Smash Journeyman
Leon S. Kennedy

Chance: 30%
Leon is definitely one of the most famous character in Resident Evil and as such, he might have a shot in DLC, assuming they want one more Capcom character. However, there is a chance that they might pull another Joker situation and choose Chris Redfield instead of Leon. Besides, there are other Capcom characters that are in the way like Amaterasu, Dante and Monster Hunter.

Want: 50%
I have been playing Resident Evil 2 in my sparetime and I really like Leon there. He's one of those characters that I enjoy playing. As for Smash, while I do want Leon to be in Smash, I'm afraid his competition is fierce right now.

Jill Valentine

Chance: 15%
Jill is another well-known character in Resident Evil, although not as much as Leon or Chris Redfield. Like Leon, she still has to face competition with other Capcom characters for the slot. The only thing she has going for is that she appeared in Marvel vs. Capcom, unlike Lyon. Though that makes me wonder, if they do want Jill in the game, which version are they gonna use? The S.T.A.R.S. versions in MvC2 or the brainwashed version in MvC3? Still, Jill might be likely, but not as much as Leon or Chris due to their popularity.

Want: 55%
I kinda like Jill a little more than Leon, to be honest. She's one of the characters that I used in MvC2 when I got my hands on that game and she was pretty good on that game. Hopefully, if Jill does make it in Smash, they'll use the MvC2 version of Jill.

Concept: Alternative Costume as DLC Prediction: 5.18%

Nominations:
Nero Claudius (Fate) x5

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Leon S. Kennedy
Chance: 40%
Want: 30%

Jill Valentine
Chance: 35%
Want: 40%

I'm gonna keep all my thoughts in a chunk here. I think Resident Evil has a great shot at being chosen for DLC. It's a decision I certainly wouldn't be upset with. While Resi is seen in some circles as a mostly-Playstation franchise, the series has appeared many a time on Nintendo consoles, most notably with a game considered one of the best in the series.

Resident Evil 4 being a GameCube-exclusive was massive. It was a smash hit, it was a defining title, and until it was ported to PS2 years later it was only available on Nintendo. They even ported it again to the Wii because it was just that good. As the face of that game, Leon makes complete sense. I can't even be mad as a Phoenix Wright fan because, hey, I'm also a Capcom nerd so I appreciate any and all Capcom rep and there's nothing saying companies have limited spots.

I foresee one issue though, but I don't know enough about CERO and how DLC affects a game and is rated compared to the ESRB, but Resident Evil is all about guns. Now, maybe that won't be an issue, and there are plenty of moves that Leon or Jill can have that don't involve firearms, but that might be a stumbling block somewhere.

As for the wants, it's all down to personal preference. Jill is super cool. Sure, she was more prominent in the earlier games, but I love how she plays in Marvel vs. Capcom 2 and I love her as an iconic gaming character. Unlike a series like Tekken or Tales, however, there isn't one correct choice when picking the Resident Evil rep. Jill and Leon are both iconic in their own rights so either way is good for me. I just like Jill a little more. Maybe Leon's Nintendo presence makes him more likely to you. It's all good either way.

Resident Evil would be awesome in Smash, so you really can't go wrong with either. Again, neither are on my list of preferred wants, but they're inclusions I don't think anyone would be able to logically complain about, so bring 'em on.

Nomination: Style Savvy Rep x5

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Mistah kennadee
Chance: 60%
If Capcom had to get one more character I definitely see RE being the highest priority, with it kinda being the best selling Japanese video game franchise not yet represented in Smash. And things seem to be lining up for Leon with that RE2 remake and RE4 Switch port coming next year, so a Smash inclusion would be really beneficial for both Nintendo and Capcom. Not that he particularly needed those games to be the likeliest RE rep anyway. 4 is unarguably the most popular game in the franchise and that's a huge point for Leon if Cloud's inclusion is anything to go by.

I was originally planning to rate him lower than last time with Nintendo having controll over who can be DLC but Joker remedied that. I don't think Persona is a family friendly game and he also has a gun, which if Bayo can use those weapons so can he and Leon.

Want: 85%
I haven't played any RE besides 4, which fortunately is often considered the best one. Planning to get the Switch port and getting more into the franchise at some point. I also just really find his snarky personality appealing. Like some sort of combination of Snake and Dante.

Sandwich
Chance: 5%
She was in other crossovers sure but I just simply see Leon being higher priority for both companies at the moment. Besides, we got Cloud over whoever was the protagonist of FF so seniority doesn't always have to matter.

Want: Abstain

Alt costumes: 8.63
Hollow knight x5

Last edited:

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Leon S. Kennedy

Chance: 40%

After Street Fighter and Mega Man, Resident Evil is the next major series in Capcom's repertoire. While the main characters tend to cycle through Chris, Leon and Jill, Leon is the most well-known and recognizable of the trio, and would be the most-likely to pick (though oddly enough, he is the only one of the three not in a VS game). His chances are pretty good overall, but there are few things that could work against him.

For starters, we have quite a bit of Capcom content already in the game. It's very possible that Nintendo could desire to look elsewhere for newcomers just as it is for them to go with another Capcom star. Then there's the fact that his games could be "too scary" to adapt into Smash accurately (while not a position I share, it is still a possibility). It's also possible that his abilities could be too challenging to convert into a Smash moveset without lacking anything to stand out while capturing the essence of the character and/or series. While it's unknown of traditional guns and knives are still taboo for Smash, a moveset revolving around that could be not interesting enough to warrant a playble fighter.

As far a Capcom goes, there are still many characters I would like to see in over him. He isn't a bad choice and is All-Star worthy enough, but I don't really know what could be done to make him a worthwhile fighter.

-----

Jill Valentine

Chance: 38%
For the most part, everything I said for Leon applies to her as well. The only reason her score is a little less is that she isn't quite as popular as he is.

Want: 48% (Classic Design), 0% (New Blonde Design)
Again, same as I said for Leon, there are other Capcom characters I'm more connected with and want more. I'd still be fine with getting her in, but I really would rather they keep her original design instead of her "I can't believe it's not Zero Suit Samus" design.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Over 200

Arle Nadja x310
Concept: All DLC will be third-party x250
Rhythm Girl x240
Nero Claudius (Fate) x230

200 - 151

Grovyle x180
Concept: More DLC x170
Mach Rider x170
Concept: Gen 8 Pokemon x166
Reaper (Overwatch) x165
Concept: Stages outside Fighter Pass x165
Hollow Knight x157

150 - 101

Reimu Hakurei x150
Kat & Ana x125
Professor Hector x119
Concept: No fan favorite/highly requested characters x110
Impa x101

100 - 51

Andy (Advance Wars) x100
Concept: Third-party character from unrepped Company x95
Lora (Xenoblade) x90
Boss: Kracko x85
Sephiroth x80
Concept: SNK rep x80
Ravio x75
Concept: Boss Rush x70
Porky Minch x66
Dark Matter x60
9-Volt x59

50 - 25

Frisk x40
Creeper x37
Papyrus x35
Concept: Style Savvy rep x35
Spyro x32
Concept: Assist Trophy becomes Fighter x30
Ninten x26
Thrall (Warcraft) x25
Cooking Mama x25

Under 25

Boss: Perfect Chaos x20
Hector (Fire Emblem) x15
Pyra & Mythra (sans Rex) x15
Concept: Dragalia Lost rep x10
Decidueye x10
Concept: Bethesda rep x10
Frog (Chrono Trigger) x10
Kamek x10
Blacephalon x5
Zhao Yun (Dynasty Warriors) x5
Amaterasu x5
Monokuma x5
Concept: Another joke character x5
Neptune x5
Concept: Crazi Taxi rep x5
Oliver (Ni No Kuni) x5
Ryu Hayabusa x5
Concept: Free updates (Splatoon-style) x5
Courier (Fallout) x5
Earthworm Jim x5
Concept: Spirits aren’t disconfirmations x5
Scorpion x5
Concept: Another literally who Level-5 Character who's popular in Japan, like Achilles or Mark Evans x5
Lizalfos x4
Toon Zelda x3
Boss: Sans x2
Urbosa x1
[Rerate] Steve? x1

Hollow Knight passes 150 noms.

Regularly scheduled reminder of extra noms: both FancySmash FancySmash and Ze Diglett Ze Diglett have 5 extra noms.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Boulder Runner

Chance: 35%. Ken takes a lot of the air out of the room, but Resident Evil is a very notable series and one that has a very significant impact on the history of survival horror. Thus, I feel it has among the greater chances to be something Nintendo would choose from Capcom. Leon is perhaps the likeliest of these characters.

Valentine's day isn't for two months.

Chance: 25%. Copy paste everything I had to say about Leon, except Jill isn't the star of the most iconic games. She did come first, though, but I doubt it makes much of a difference when Sakurai isn't the one calling the shots.

Both of them get an abstain on want, because I have no proper experience with Resident Evil. That being said, there is one character from that franchise I would want, but it's for the most ridiculous reason, and it's Albert Wesker.

Arle Nadja x 5, Alt DLC prediction is 8.18%. Things seem to be looking like Fighters Pass + Mii Outfits only.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Leon S. Kennedy

Resident Evil is probably the biggest Capcom franchise that does not have any Smash representation at the moment. In regards to the possibility of a RE rep, Leon is probably the most likely pick as he's extremely popular and RE4 is cited as one of the best GameCube games. He still has competition with lots of other third parties though and would also have to compete with Jill and Chris for a RE slot.

-----

Jill Valentine

Chance: 20%
Basically in the same situation as Leon but I don't think she's as popular as him. She has one advantage over Leon in that she appeared in the game that started it all, but otherwise I think Leon would be more likely.

-----

Abstaining from both character's want ratings because my only experience with Leon and Jill is with RE4 (which I never finished) and MvC respectively.

Character alternate costume DLC chance prediction: 5.11%

Nominations:
Concept: SNK rep x5

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Ethan Winters

Oh wait

Chance: 20% for each

I think Resident Evil representation has a good chance, it’s still alive and RE2 is on the way. An iconic series, a huge one, it’s earned its place in Smash. It’s really between these two, Wesker is a villain and nobody likes Chris. I’d say neither is in a great place though: it is an M-rated franchise, Capcom has a lot of competition (Wright, Amaterasu, V. Joe, Chun-Li, etc), and with Joker getting in, maybe they just didn’t pick another gun user.

Leon has the advantage that he’s the most popular RE character, that he starred in the two games that are considered the best (one famously a Nintendo exclusive, the other has an upcoming remake that might end up on Switch like RE7), and that he used to have some demand. Hell, still does.

Jill has the advantage that she’s kind of the face of the series, she’s more iconic, has been there day one, has been in crossovers as the main rep of RE (she was the only one in MvC2), and has movesets that don’t really require being solely a gun user (to be fair, Leon could easily use her MvC2 moveset or even Chris’ MvC3 one, but he’d probably lean more on his athleticism; and I don’t think anyone wants MvC3 Jill).

Want: 90% for Leon, 80% for Jill
Yeah, I prefer Leon, but they’re both characters I’d love to see get in. However, I want Phoenix Wright more, sorry.

As long as we don’t get ****ing Chris, things’ll be fine. God Chris is so boring.

Nominations: Mach RiderX5

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Leon Kennedy

Chance: 65%

- Resident Evil is the biggest Capcom franchise not in Smash yet.
-Resident Evil 2-4 which starred Leon was on the GameCube. Resident Evil 4, the most beloved entry's debut was the GameCube itself.
-.Leon is a very popular character despite not being in a Fighting game yet. And he fits the unexpected, but popular character like Joker.
-This arguably makes him liklier because Chris and Jill already appeared in a Fighting game, so might as well give Leon the spotlight this time.
-Capcom has a lot of content in Smash already, it's a given that they would get a 3rd unique character.
-Leon has the RE2 remake coming out although it isn''t on Switch. So Capcom could push Nintendo and Sakurai for his inclusion for that reason.
-Although his chances could be hindered if Dante, or Phoenix Wright are considered more interesting to Sakurai.

Want: 85%

-I'm not that invested in RE, but Leon is a very interesting character and I predict and want him.
-He's the perfect Survival Horror 3rd party rep.

Jill Valentine

-Resident Evil is happening in Smash IMO. But Jill is a runner up tied with Chris.
-She already appeared in a crossover fighting game along with Chris while Leon hasn't despite him being one of the main 3 RE characters.

-A RE character would be cool in general.
-But Jill had her time in a crossover fighting game.

Alternate Costume DLC Prediction: 13.55%

Nominate All DLC is 3rd Party x5

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Leon and Jill:
Chance: 30%-I have mixed opinions on them. Do they come from a big franchise? Yes. Would they be hard to negotiate with? No. Would Sakurai find a problem when working on them? That's where the main issue starts. He doesn't like realistic guns in Smash, and he wants his characters to be unique, so he just won't copypaste MvC2 or UMvC3 for reference on that, he's gonna need to get very creative to make either of them differ from Snake.
Want: 50%-Very neutral on them. Don't hate 'em, but not interested as well.
Nominations: All-guests passx5

Troykv

Smash Master
I don't have idea what to say about them; they're popular, and it would have something special with them; but I don't have anything in mind.

I abstain

____

Prediction:

Alternate Costume DLC: 10.1%

Nominations:

Reimu Hakurei x5

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Leon Kennedy and Jill Valentine

Chance - 7.5% each - Resident Evil is second only to Silent Hill in terms of survival horror. That said, protagonists of survival horror tend to make poor choices in my opinion, as they tend to be made deliberately under powered in order for the game to work. While I could see it, if a survival horror character were to make it I think that in this case one of the monsters would be more likely, as they tend to be more iconic and are the ones with more interesting powers.

Want - 50% - Eh. I guess I can take them, but I don't care for them. Their pedigree makes them a worthy inclusion, but I find their move set potential boring.

Prediciton

Costume DLC - 1.45% - I'm assuming Mii costumes won't count?

Nominations

Dark Matter X5

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
"Your right hand comes off?"

Chance - 25%
Want - 90%

"I'm a member of S.T.A.R.S."

Chance - 20%
Want - 100%
Jill with Claire as an Echo would be the ideal for me. Represents RE1 through CV + Revelations 1&2 all in one (echoed) fell swoop.

Costume DLC - 2%
I expect more Mii costumes, but I'm not holding my breath for alts for the actual characters.

Nominations:
Style Savvy x5

Last edited:

Takasmash

Smash Ace
Leon s Kennedy
Chance 50%
Want 100%

Im surprise we still dont have a horror rep in smash ultimate. RE is Capcom third biggest franchise than Devil May Cry or Monster Hunter.

Jill Valentine
Chance 45%
Want 100%

Jill is Iconic before Leon and she could be the faster echo of Leon. I hope they dont make Chris the echo c mon he's in MVCI its Jill turn.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Leon

I'm not certain a RE character will get in because that would mean they would get a stage as well. And any stage would probably be too horrific for Smash. But anything is possible.
Want: 2%
Honestly I'd rather Jill. Just personal preference.

Jill

Just like Leon she faces the same problem. I don't think the characters themselves are an issue, it would be the stage. And we know all the DLC characters come bundled with a stage.
Want: 10%
Definitely would prefer her over Leon but... I don't really even care to have Resident Evil in Smash. Even though I like the series, I think a horror game of that scale just would not fit.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Leon

I'm not certain a RE character will get in because that would mean they would get a stage as well. And any stage would probably be too horrific for Smash. But anything is possible.
Want: 2%
Honestly I'd rather Jill. Just personal preference.

Jill

Just like Leon she faces the same problem. I don't think the characters themselves are an issue, it would be the stage. And we know all the DLC characters come bundled with a stage.
Want: 10%
Definitely would prefer her over Leon but... I don't really even care to have Resident Evil in Smash. Even though I like the series, I think a horror game of that scale just would not fit.
I mean I don't think it would have to be any scarier than the Castlevania stage currently is.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Abstaining on want.

Chance: 5% for both.
If we get another Capcom rep, I don't think it'll be Resident Evil. Resident Evil makes no sense to bring into smash at all. Not to mention, a character from a horror game would be really weird. What would their moveset be? Using a flashlight and being scared??? Only reason it's not 0% is because Sakurai does whatever the hell he wants.

Nominating Rhythm Girl x5

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Abstaining on want.

Chance: 5% for both.
If we get another Capcom rep, I don't think it'll be Resident Evil. Resident Evil makes no sense to bring into smash at all. Not to mention, a character from a horror game would be really weird. What would their moveset be? Using a flashlight and being scared??? Only reason it's not 0% is because Sakurai does whatever the hell he wants.

Nominating Rhythm Girl x5
You really don't know anything about Resident Evil, do you?

In Resident Evil the characters use firearms and melee weapons with abandon. That alone gives them an easy base to work with - especially Leon as his game was much more action-oriented. Plus, if you actually look at Jill's moveset in Marvel vs. Capcom 2, she did in fact have a few fun moves focused around being scared, which in turn summoned zombies to attack opposing players.

At least pretend to know what you're arguing against, for all our sakes.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
You really don't know anything about Resident Evil, do you?

In Resident Evil the characters use firearms and melee weapons with abandon. That alone gives them an easy base to work with - especially Leon as his game was much more action-oriented. Plus, if you actually look at Jill's moveset in Marvel vs. Capcom 2, she did in fact have a few fun moves focused around being scared, which in turn summoned zombies to attack opposing players.

At least pretend to know what you're arguing against, for all our sakes.
I did pretend I know what I'm talking about at least. I'm well aware they have guns in their games, I'm talking about what makes them unique. It'd be weird to portray a character from a horror game as just another FPS character and give them a moveset based around shooting people. That wouldn't be true to their series or their character. The MvC argument didn't work for Phoenix Wright either, Sakurai doesn't like doing that kind of thing clearly.

My point about the series being in Smash making no sense still stands. (also this isn't exactly a thread to argue about things last I checked)

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I did pretend I know what I'm talking about at least. I'm well aware they have guns in their games, I'm talking about what makes them unique. It'd be weird to portray a character from a horror game as just another FPS character and give them a moveset based around shooting people. That wouldn't be true to their series or their character. The MvC argument didn't work for Phoenix Wright either, Sakurai doesn't like doing that kind of thing clearly.

My point about the series being in Smash making no sense still stands. (also this isn't exactly a thread to argue about things last I checked)
How does it not make sense? Horror is represented in Smash with Yuri's assist trophy, and Castlevania is also a horror-inspired action game...much like Resident Evil 4. Survival horror and horror in general is a big genre, and Smash Bros. is about gaming history.

I don't get your point, my dude. I don't get it at all.

Last edited:

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
How does it not make sense? Horror is represented in Smash with Yuri's assist trophy, and Castlevania is also a horror-inspired action game...much like Resident Evil 4. Survival horror and horror in general is a big genre, and Smash Bros. is about gaming history.

I don't get your point, my dude. I don't get it at all.
Castlevania is nowhere near a horror game. It's an action/metroidvania, with scary creatures in it. A horror game is the idea of taking control away from the player to scare them. As an assist trophy it works well, you're right. A resident evil-based assist trophy could get in I suppose.

Also... I'm coming from the perspective of knowing Resident Evil 1 & 2 somewhat well, and being under the impression that 4 was awful because it wasn't really a Resident evil game. Considering Sakurai based Ryu and Ken off of SF2/3, he's not gonna look at RE4.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
(also this isn't exactly a thread to argue about things last I checked)
Actually, it’s super encouraged that people debate and discuss stuff here. That’s the whole point.

But if you’re under the impression that 4 is awful when it’s near-universally considered the best, I think it’s best if you were to abstain.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Actually, it’s super encouraged that people debate and discuss stuff here. That’s the whole point.

But if you’re under the impression that 4 is awful when it’s near-universally considered the best, I think it’s best if you were to abstain.
Well I'm willing to accept I'm wrong then. Maybe it was 5 I was thinking of?? I really don't know much about Resident Evil though, you're right.

Lasatar

Smash Apprentice
I'm just gonna ignore the characters themselves and say that I think there's around a 10% chance of Resident Evil getting into Smash. Whether or not it'd be Chris, Jill, or Leon, I can't say. However, I do think that they're competing with other Capcom franchises, so even though I do think a Capcom character is very likely, I wouldn't exactly say that Resident Evil is the first choice out of the Capcom franchises to appear. There's too much competition. As for want, I'll be generous and give them a 60%. They could work with a similar concept to Snake, but still ultimately have a different moveset.

DLC Costume Prediction: 1%. Yeah, that ain't happening. It'd definitely be cool, though.

Nominations: Reimu x5

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I mean I don't think it would have to be any scarier than the Castlevania stage currently is.
Resident Evil has a lot of realistic gore. The monsters are are bloody and fleshy, while Castlevania relies on classic horror movie monsters like Wolfman or Mummies. Now imagine something like Tyrant in Smash, with a pulsating heart extruding from it's body. It's just way too extreme.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Resident Evil has a lot of realistic gore. The monsters are are bloody and fleshy, while Castlevania relies on classic horror movie monsters like Wolfman or Mummies. Now imagine something like Tyrant in Smash, with a pulsating heart extruding from it's body. It's just way too extreme.
Reminder that Nemesis was in Marvel vs Capcom. Not every enemy can get a pass, but there are still some iconic ones that could be toned down enough for Smash. Nemesis, the Hunters, the zombie crows, the Novistadors from 4, etc. It'd also depend on what game their stage is based on. There are plenty of options.

For Spencer Mansion, you can have Hunters jump in through the windows much like the Wolfman in Dracula's Castle. The zombie crows could be perched somewhere watching the battle. They could still throw in some regular zombies too, it wouldn't really take much too tone them down a bit.

For RE2, they could use the RPD and have Mr. X show up. No gore in his design after all so he's a pretty safe pick.

For RE3, a more general Raccoon City stage with Nemesis popping from time to time could also work. Just tone him down like they did for UMvC3.

And outside of a stage there's still plenty to work with for other things too. If all else fails enemy wise (which I doubt would be an issue anyway) they could use Wesker as a boss, and the other human characters could work as ATs such as having Rebecca heal you with a first aid spray for example.

RE can be toned down while still doing the series justice, its more a matter of whether Nintendo would be willing to try in the first place.

Last edited:

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Oof, so a Double Day, with two Resident Evil characters...

I've gotta say, I have to abstain completely today. I just have never touched Resident Evil in my life, and I know too little to even estimate a chance here for them. With that, I certainly can't rate their want fairly. I could maybe see either of them fighting Dracula at the end of a classic campaign though, maybe.

Top Bottom