• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Ayumi Tachibana:

Chances 15%: The first two Famicom Detective Club games are being remade as we speak. While Ayumi isn't likely, this gives her a edge if this game is still getting a Retro rep. I believe if she is a strong contender for the Retro slot in Ultimate if there is one.

Want 100%: I never played the Famicom Detective Club games, but I've seen fanart of what Ayumi could do if she was in Smash and she looks like a very fun and wacky character to play with. Using detective items like a lens and a briefcase and using martial arts, she just sounds like full of wacky and unique moveset potential. I really hope she makes it in.

Andy:

Chances 5%:

I don't see a Advance Wars rep being likely at the slightest as there isn't really anything going for them at the moment from my knowledge. Though if a new Advance Wars game get's announced, their chances could skyrocket.

Want 20%:

I have really no knowledge or attachment towards the Advance Wars games, but a soldier with a gun and tank sounds like it could potentially be a fun character. I would be happy for Advance Wars fans, but a Advance Wars rep really wouldn't be my cup of tea.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
The Mario direct came and went. No major news on FP7. Can we move on now?
yeah, waited a bit due to hearing a direct was coming, Since it was a long time since we had a direct gonna do a quick reactions day that will end around 8 pm est.

abstain on both Except Andy’s want,

100% want

Advance wars is hella fu and I’d love it to come back. I also would love another “commander” fighter like Olimar. pls intelligent systems I beg you.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Mario 35th Anniversary Direct

8.5/10

Pros
  • 3D World enhanced port
  • 3D Collection
  • All-Stars on Switch Online
  • Super Mario 35
Cons
  • The 3D collection is only available for a limited time both physically and on the eShop. Incredibly stupid move on Nintendo's part.
  • I kind of wish the 3D Collection had additional features/changes aside from just the music mode.
  • Sort of expected that it wouldn't be there, but I wish Galaxy 2 was on the collection.
Nominations:
Concept: A non-videogame character gets a Mii Costume x5

Last edited:

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
The 3D Mario collection is a limited time offer for both physical and digital versions and there really should be no reason for that. I'm not gonna get it anyway since I still have Sunshine and Galaxy for my Wii amd won't pay full 60 for 64 but that's just scummy. 3d world caught more of my interest honestly. SMB 35 also looks kinda cool I guess. That's were my interests end. Pretty mellow on it. Suprised by no Smash. 6/10

Deltarune content x5

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
We're doing our reactions to the Mario Direct?

I literally danced like mad for a good half an hour I was so hyped.

3D WORLD + BOWSER'S FURY

3D World
Deluxe is something I've wanted since the first Wii U port rolled in. This game is absolutely amazing and it's disappointing that only a very small handful of people got to experience this great title. As someone who first got into Mario via Super Mario Bros. 2, I always liked the quartet of Mario, Luigi, Peach and of course Toad, so that they're back with Rosalina, my boy Captain Toad and (presumably) Bowser in some playable capacity excites me no end.

This really is one of the most underrated gems from last gen. Everyone hated on it originally because it wasn't more Galaxy, but that's not what it was trying to be to begin with.
As far as multiplayer Mario titles go, this is my go to over the New Super Mario titles every time. Can't wait to bagsy Toad this time round and sprint through the worlds all over again!

Little disappointed by the lack of Captain Toad showcasing, but I'll assume his levels are still in tact until otherwise. Hopefully we can even get those missing 3D World levels back in Treasure Tracker now Nintendo? Please?

Want: 100%. My favourite Mario title...thus far...

MARIO 3D COLLECTION

I've a confession...I never got to play either 64 or the original Galaxy title. I have played Sunshine, but I always wanted to get the other two titles. I held off due to the rumours about the collection this year but before that I was browsing Mario Galaxy in my local shop and considering picking it up until I remembered how much I hated the Wii control system.

Now I can bypass this entirely and play it on a system I actually love.

A few questionable choices here though: The limited purchasing window seems...frankly stupid, as this will definitely sell gangbusters regardless...heck, I already pre-ordered and I rarely ever do that. So I guess I fell for this marketing ploy. Whoops. It's a little arbitary though.

Mario 64 being not updated to the more modern Mario models is surprising, but not neccesarily a bad thing. Just a surprise.

Want: 100%, already pre-ordered like the good little consumer I am.

MARIO KART HOME CIRCUIT

Whilst I likely won't buy this due to a lack of room in my home, I'm really impressed with the tech and the idea behind it.

Downside is I can see those Mario and Luigi Karts being stupidly expensive and there's no real information on whether or not more than two players can join the game. Coupled with the possibility of being locked to only the Mario Bros. it's probably a miss for me, but I applaud the idea.

Want: 60%

Everything else was relatively minor for me. I doubt I'll get any of the 2D Mario games, and I can see that Game and Watch being very expensive for what it is. Donkey Kong Jr arriving in Mario Kart Tour in his SNES sprite was probably the next biggest highlight, but I likely will pick up some of the extra merch being the massive Mario fanboy that I am.

Overall the only downside of this Mario direct for me was lack of Smash Bros. reveal, which either means there's unlikely to be a new Mario newcomer to it or because it was focused on the 35th Mario collection, including a game that isn't a Mario title may seem weird. Jury's out, but it doesn't bode well for my most wanted...

...but at least I'll get to play a ton of Mario titles to ease that pain!

Overall 10/10.
All I needed was 3D World and the 3D Collection to be satisfied this year, all the cute extras like Animal Crossing getting Mario themed stuff is a cherry on top to look forward to next year.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Overall a 5/10 from me.
Nothing was announced that I'm dying to get. Mario 35 is a cool idea, but feels a little too limited for me. The Maker games would probably be my go-to option for multiplayer 2D Mario with how much more they have to offer. I'm not going to bother with the ports because I already have them. I guess I'm mostly curious about what Bowsers Fury will end up being.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
Pretty decent overall, waiting for Canadian physical preorder pages (darn rats charging 80 bucks for three old games). I'm not the biggest Mario guy but I do love the Galaxy games, though seeing Galaxy 2 get shafted hard during that presentation was irritating. The battle royale thing looks like it'll be great fun.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
the mario direct? honestly it was pretty eh. id give it about a 10%. cant say i really want new versions of any of the ports most interesting thing was bowser's fury but we dont know what that is yet

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Me and my mom went to see one of her friends and I got an haircut. I come back and see a direct for Mario's 35th anniversary and laughs because those directs keep hapening when I can't watch them, lol.

Anyway, it was good. 8.5/10, would have been more if Mario Galaxy 2 was in the collection or if we got something for Mario and Luigi, but it was still great. I'm also curious at what Bowser's fury is.

I nominate an SMT rep x5 again.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Mario Direct

Positives
  • The Game and Watch Mario game is a cool novelty. I might pick it up depending on the price.
  • The Super Mario Bros battle royale game looks sick. Can't wait to try it.
  • The Mario Kart thing was a surprise to be sure, but a welcome one. I'm not sure how practical it will be in my home since it's kind of small but I will keep an eye out for it. Definitely a very cool idea though, and was the biggest surprise for me.
  • The original All Stars coming to the Switch Online was a pleasant surprise. Granted we already got most of the games on the online service already, but hey they will look and sound better.
  • I'm stoked for 3D World. I don't own a Wii U so I'm looking forward to trying out the game. It looks great. Instant purchase.for me.
  • Super Mario 3D All Stars: The rumors did spoil the surprise but I'm just glad it's a reality. I've never got the chance to play 64 or Sunshine so this is an automatic purchase for me. Definitely the most hyped announcement in the presentation despite the negatives which I'll get into soon.
Negatives
  • As much as I'm excited for 3D All Stars, it is a mixed bag. I was surprised that they weren't remasters. All that they did was optimize the games for modern screens and upscaled them to HD. Kind of underwhelming. Not only that but it's a limited physical release? Huh? There is absolutely no reason for this. Again, I will purchase the collection, hands down, but I can see why people would be disappointed in this. If you already have 2 or 3 of the games, there isn't much point in buying this. And while I was expecting it, Galaxy 2 should still have been on there. It's inclusion would have made it the definitive 3D Mario collection. Now I will still have to track down a copy on the Wii if I want to try it.

Overall, 8/10. A lot of great things in this Direct, but the questionable decisions they did with 3D All Stars detracts a couple points. But everything else was great. There were some genuinely pleasant surprises and there are a lot of things to look forward to.

Are we doing noms? If so, Ezio x5.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
6/10. I'm not that into Mario, surprisingly, though Sunshine admittedly looks pretty cool. Points deducted for the limited-release strategy. What were they thinking?!

Nomination: Klonoa x5, of course

amageish

Smash Master
Annnnnnnd I'm back for some Direct hot takes!

Pros:
  • 3D All-Stars is both real and responsibly priced! Yay!
  • Mario 35 is the Tetris 99 follow-up that I didn't know I needed. Looks super cool and can't wait to try it (even though I'll be infinitely worse at it then I was at Tetris)
  • AR Mario Kart is a really cool premise and fun showcase of tech. I don't think it's for me, but I'm sure there will be some amazing IRL courses set up to run on it and I am excited to see videos about those.
  • Animal Crossing is getting crossover items again... in March 2021. Considering that it feels like we're still in March 2020, that sounds very far away, but still very exciting to have confirmed!
  • My Nintendo is doing physical merch?!?! That is great to see again.

Cons:
  • "Limited Run" for both Mario All-Stars and Mario 35 sucks... It'll suck even more when fans try to recreate Mario 35 later and get C&D-ed out of existence.
  • So, like, are we just not getting weekly Smash events anymore? As they announced a tourney for November in the Direct, which looks to be higher-profile and neato, but we still have had no announcement for anything happening this weekend. This feels like it may just be a quiet way to stop weekly Smash events, which sucks, as I liked those...

Overall, I'm pretty satisfied!

Noms: Moogle x5, I guess, kupo.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I guess I'd give this a 7/10. All the limited runs really bring this down imo, I won't be able to get 3D All-Stars which sucks, and it probably won't even make OG Sunshine copies cheaper because they're still gonna be scarce. Mario 35 being limited also baffles me to no end. But the games themselves are neat, I'll definitely be getting 3D World and playing Mario 35. Best reveal of the day was the toy Mario Kart, how cool is that?

Oh yeah noms to ****ing Tidus

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Concept: A non-white/Asian human character x295
Concept: A non-videogame character gets a Mii Costume x295
Tidus x265
Nate Adams x240
[Rerate] Ezio x235
Shuichi Saihara x216
Moogle x175

200 - 151

[Rerate] Prince of All Cosmos x165
Concept: Content from currently unreleased game (not Spirit Events) (as of May 17th 2020) x160
[Rerate] Monster Hunter x155

150 - 101

Concept: Shin Megami Tensei rep x150
Alex Mason x145
[Rerate] Frisk x140
Echo: Xion (Sora) x135
Sakura Shinguji x135
Klonoa x135
Concept: Pokémon Mystery Dungeon content x121
Concept: Deltarune content x121
The Stretchers x120
D.Va x115
Red (Angry Birds) x115
Proto Man x115
Zelda (BotW sequel) x110
Billy Hatcher x110

100 - 51

Amiya (Arknights) x90
Concept: Darksiders rep x80
Sackboy x80
Riptor x80
Hades (Kid Icarus) x80
Fulgore x79
Concept: More ATs as one new item x75
Lu Bu (Dynasty Warriors) x75
Mii Costume: Alex Kidd x75
Boss: Ender Dragon x73
Concept: Second F-Zero rep x69
Echo: Dark Bowser (Bowser) x67
The Terrarian x65
Concept: Rocket League rep x65
[Rerate] Concept: Boss Rush x65
Giygas x60
Concept: SNES-era Final Fantasy rep x55
Dwight Fairfield (Dead by Daylight) x55
Mii Costume: Jill Stingray x55
Austin the Butler (Gardenscapes) x55
Concept: Fortnite character x55
Gooigi x55

50 - 25

Echo: Zeraora (Lucario) x50
[Rerate] Jin Kazama x50
Jason Frudnick & SOPHIA x50
Dr. Goomba Tower x50
Magolor x50
John Marston x50
Jin Sakai x50
[Rerate] Monokuma x50
Stage: Bowser's Castle x50
Echo: Lord Fredrik (King K. Rool) x45
Ghirahim x40
Neptune (Hyperdimension Neptunia) x40
Concept: A Microsoft rep that isn't Steve or Master Chief x40
Boss: Rayquaza x39
The Bard (Wandersong) x35
Concept: Returning stages x35
Yoshimitsu x35
Echo (Olimar) x31
Concept: Fighter Pass Volume 2 is half Nintendo and half third party x30
Urbosa x30
Vi (Bug Fables) x30
Concept: Assist Trophies added in updates x27
Rival Pokémon Trainer x25
Concept: Dark Souls rep x25
[Rerate] Maxwell x25
Lora and Jin x25

Under 25

Black Shadow x20
Concept: Fighter Pass 2 gets delayed x20
Demi-fiend x20
Chell x18
Zeraora x15
Wolf Link x15
Concept: FP2 character comes with an Echo Fighter x15
Cynthia x15
Taranza x11
Gran/Djeeta x10
Otto Matic x10
The Avatar (Ultima) x10
Concept: Bravely Default rep x10
Medusa (Kid Icarus) x10
Concept: Rhythm Heaven rep x10
Tetra x10
Zero (Mega Man) x10
Mii Costume: Jacket x7
Concept: Darkstalkers rep x6
Sparky (Clash Royale) x5
Concept: Overwatch character x5
Asha (Wonder Boy) x5
Mii Costume: Hat Kid x5
Concept: Portal 2 rep x5
Breath of the Wild 2 Ganondorf x5
Tick (Brawl Stars) x5
King Graham x5
Cooking Mama x5
Jill (Drill Dozer) x5
Asuka (Senran Kagura) x5
Furret x5
Deku Scrub x5
Mii Costume: Edward Falcon x5
Concept: A LABO character x5
Concept: Bonus character x5
Concept: No AT promotions x5
[Rerate] Morrigan Aensland x5
[Rerate] Cadence x5
Octoling x5
Kazuya Mishima x5
Excitebiker x5
Gil (Babylonian Castle Saga/The Tower of Druaga) x5
Young Wizard (Wizard101) x5
Concept: Tetris 99 stage x5
Concept: More individual stage DLC x5
Mii Costume: Gen 1 Pokémon x5
Don-chan x5
Concept: Rocket League content x5
Concept: Generic Zora x3
Three Mage Sisters x2
Concept: A Pokémon Trainer who fights x2
Concept: A fighter who uses all kicks x2
[Rerate] Metal Sonic x2
Concept: Generic Goron x2
Kass x1

Monster Hunter ventures past the 150 noms border.

Gooigi squeezes through 50 noms.

Joining the fray we have Don-chan and Concept: Rocket League content, both with 5 noms.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Gonna keep it brief today, while I do think the presentation was SLIGHTLY underwhelming, I'm just glad that it happened, and that we finally had confirmation on those 3D Mario rumors! Sadly they're just ports, but they're a fun new way to enjoy the games and they're reasonably priced! Limited time does suck (why did DIGITAL need to be limited time only?) but it is what it is, at least there's still a big window of time to grab it!

Probably not gonna by the AR Mario Kart toys myself, but they're still a super cool idea and I can't wait to see the creative ideas people have with it!

Nominations:
[Rerate] Prince of All Cosmos x5

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Concept: A non-white/Asian human character x295
Concept: A non-videogame character gets a Mii Costume x295
Tidus x265
Nate Adams x240
[Rerate] Ezio x235
Shuichi Saihara x216
Moogle x175

200 - 151

[Rerate] Prince of All Cosmos x165
Concept: Content from currently unreleased game (not Spirit Events) (as of May 17th 2020) x160
[Rerate] Monster Hunter x155

150 - 101

Concept: Shin Megami Tensei rep x150
Alex Mason x145
[Rerate] Frisk x140
Echo: Xion (Sora) x135
Sakura Shinguji x135
Klonoa x135
Concept: Pokémon Mystery Dungeon content x121
Concept: Deltarune content x121
The Stretchers x120
D.Va x115
Red (Angry Birds) x115
Proto Man x115
Zelda (BotW sequel) x110
Billy Hatcher x110

100 - 51

Amiya (Arknights) x90
Concept: Darksiders rep x80
Sackboy x80
Riptor x80
Hades (Kid Icarus) x80
Fulgore x79
Concept: More ATs as one new item x75
Lu Bu (Dynasty Warriors) x75
Mii Costume: Alex Kidd x75
Boss: Ender Dragon x73
Concept: Second F-Zero rep x69
Echo: Dark Bowser (Bowser) x67
The Terrarian x65
Concept: Rocket League rep x65
[Rerate] Concept: Boss Rush x65
Giygas x60
Concept: SNES-era Final Fantasy rep x55
Dwight Fairfield (Dead by Daylight) x55
Mii Costume: Jill Stingray x55
Austin the Butler (Gardenscapes) x55
Concept: Fortnite character x55
Gooigi x55

50 - 25

Echo: Zeraora (Lucario) x50
[Rerate] Jin Kazama x50
Jason Frudnick & SOPHIA x50
Dr. Goomba Tower x50
Magolor x50
John Marston x50
Jin Sakai x50
[Rerate] Monokuma x50
Stage: Bowser's Castle x50
Echo: Lord Fredrik (King K. Rool) x45
Ghirahim x40
Neptune (Hyperdimension Neptunia) x40
Concept: A Microsoft rep that isn't Steve or Master Chief x40
Boss: Rayquaza x39
The Bard (Wandersong) x35
Concept: Returning stages x35
Yoshimitsu x35
Echo (Olimar) x31
Concept: Fighter Pass Volume 2 is half Nintendo and half third party x30
Urbosa x30
Vi (Bug Fables) x30
Concept: Assist Trophies added in updates x27
Rival Pokémon Trainer x25
Concept: Dark Souls rep x25
[Rerate] Maxwell x25
Lora and Jin x25

Under 25

Black Shadow x20
Concept: Fighter Pass 2 gets delayed x20
Demi-fiend x20
Chell x18
Zeraora x15
Wolf Link x15
Concept: FP2 character comes with an Echo Fighter x15
Cynthia x15
Taranza x11
Gran/Djeeta x10
Otto Matic x10
The Avatar (Ultima) x10
Concept: Bravely Default rep x10
Medusa (Kid Icarus) x10
Concept: Rhythm Heaven rep x10
Tetra x10
Zero (Mega Man) x10
Mii Costume: Jacket x7
Concept: Darkstalkers rep x6
Sparky (Clash Royale) x5
Concept: Overwatch character x5
Asha (Wonder Boy) x5
Mii Costume: Hat Kid x5
Concept: Portal 2 rep x5
Breath of the Wild 2 Ganondorf x5
Tick (Brawl Stars) x5
King Graham x5
Cooking Mama x5
Jill (Drill Dozer) x5
Asuka (Senran Kagura) x5
Furret x5
Deku Scrub x5
Mii Costume: Edward Falcon x5
Concept: A LABO character x5
Concept: Bonus character x5
Concept: No AT promotions x5
[Rerate] Morrigan Aensland x5
[Rerate] Cadence x5
Octoling x5
Kazuya Mishima x5
Excitebiker x5
Gil (Babylonian Castle Saga/The Tower of Druaga) x5
Young Wizard (Wizard101) x5
Concept: Tetris 99 stage x5
Concept: More individual stage DLC x5
Mii Costume: Gen 1 Pokémon x5
Don-chan x5
Concept: Rocket League content x5
Concept: Generic Zora x3
Three Mage Sisters x2
Concept: A Pokémon Trainer who fights x2
Concept: A fighter who uses all kicks x2
[Rerate] Metal Sonic x2
Concept: Generic Goron x2
Kass x1

Monster Hunter ventures past the 150 noms border.

Gooigi squeezes through 50 noms.

Joining the fray we have Don-chan and Concept: Rocket League content, both with 5 noms.
Wasn't rocket league content already being nommwd? Swear i saw someone doing that one

BowserKing

Smash Lord
I have not seen that direct due to vacation, but I am pleased by the new games coming.

One thing I did predict is that there is no new Smash Bros Fighter. If there was a chosen Mario rep, I pretty sure Geno would be in the Second Fighter’s Pass, and I think he will be saved for last

Overall, I might get to play those games in the future, which is a great thing.

Noms: 5 for Concept: Second F-Zero Rep

Last edited:

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
There is Rocket League rep which has 65 noms. I think that's what you saw.
Ah I gotcha, that makes sense.

Anyways, time for my direct reactions

My first one was "WTF, there was a direct today?" I've been at work and didn't check my youtube or twitter feed so had no clue that happened. Otherwise I don't really care that much. Mario Galaxy on the switch is cool. I'll probably get that. Really enjoyed that game before my wii got reset and I never finished it.

Noms:
Non Steve/Chief Microsoft rep x5

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Okay, satisfaction rating.
Overall, the Direct is a 7/10 for me. The 3D All-Stars, 3D World + Bowser's Fury and Super Mario Bros. 35 (that's what it was called, I think?) were the stand-out pieces for me, but that's with an asterisk. I'm absolutely baffled by the limited availabilty for the collection and the battle royal thing, and I think the fact that the 3D games barely have any touch-ups (from what we can tell) is just. . . pretty scummy. The 3D World port has gotten me a bit more interested than I thought it would, considering that there seem to be a good amount of gameplay touch-ups, like increased speed and new moves. Also looking forward to the Mario-themed Splatfest in Splatoon 2, and the upcoming Mario items in Animal Crossing, though I really don't get why the latter has to (apparently) wait until March of next year.

Nominating Concept: A non-white/Asian human character x5

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Satisfaction Rating: 0%

-The Mario Game & Watch is neat, but nothing im diying to get.
-Mario Battle Royale is meh. I still stand that Nintendo's online is ****, and that the Ed Boys could make a Scam and still have better Online than Nintendo has. Also the fangame did it beter (you know, the one Nintendo took down)
-Don't care about 3D World port. I loved the original but im not interesed in double dipping. If i have not double dipped on Tropical Freeze (which is my favorite Wii U game) there's no way in hell im buying 3D World again for the time beign.
-Anything else is uninteresing.
-The Mario 3D All Stars.......boy where do i begin?

First off, i understand the game of telephone may have overhyped this. I know expecting a N.Sane Trilogy treatment to Mario 64, Sunshine and BOTH Galaxies was ****ing overkill (especially since the last 2 have aged really well in aesthetics) but god, even then it's still underwhelming. This could have been the only chance of getting a definitive edition of Mario 64, since i obviously prefer the Original's Controls but love all the extra content of the DS version (Yoshi, Luigi, Wario, the extra stars, the new extra levels and bosses, etc) hell i would have been okay if ONLY Mario 64 got the remake treatment while Sunshine and Galaxy 1 and 2 just got upscaled and released on the Switch.

What doesn't help is all the modding stuff that has flourished ever since the early 2010's and ****. Hell we just found out Luigi's files and the fact that Luigi was indeed MEANT to be in Mario 64, so to just get vanilla Mario 64 with literally no extra flair except for maybe some graphical upgrades is just.........not appealing to me. But i know im spolied in that regard, and having the superior Galaxy would amend for this, plus i never have played Sunshine so i could be interesed in this.

But 2 things ruin my interest. First is the lack of Mario Galaxy 2, which i find no excuse for it to be excluded. Second is simply the fact that the game is a limited edition, both in physical and digital, and that is one of the most anti-consumer things Nintendo has ever done. i could have some minor interest in having Mario 3D All Stars just for the convinience of having it on the Switch (even if i find the package extremely underwhelming) but the fact that scalpers are gonna hog it all just makes the search not worth it, and im not a digital guy at all (the few purchases i have done are digital-only games where i have no other choice, or DLC) and seeing how i have Galaxy 1 AND 2 on my Cousin's Nintendo Wii (the only thing missing is the Nunchuck) means that the "high point" of this Direct means nothing to me.

Hell almost all of the stuff shown here was limited, which is understandable for the Game and Watch but it's bull**** for everything else. The Parthner Showcase that had that Wrestling game was unironically more entertaining than this, if only for the people's reaction.

Blegh.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Satisfaction: 90%

I actually really liked it. I'll admit, Galaxy 2 not even being mentioned is a bit weird, but hey, I never beat 64 or Sunshine, and never played Galaxy 1 at all. Definetly getting my hands on it. 3D World looks interesting, though now I don't know what Nintendo's holiday title is gonna be this year. Heck, even Mario Kart Tour's SNES throwback is kinda cool: they brought back DK Jr.!

Also, about the limited time thing, didn't they do something similar with the NES Mini? It was initially limited, but then they randomly rereleased it? They could totally do that again.

Nominations: Echo: Lord Fredrik (King K. Rool) x5

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Satisfaction: 90%

I actually really liked it. I'll admit, Galaxy 2 not even being mentioned is a bit weird, but hey, I never beat 64 or Sunshine, and never played Galaxy 1 at all. Definetly getting my hands on it. 3D World looks interesting, though now I don't know what Nintendo's holiday title is gonna be this year. Heck, even Mario Kart Tour's SNES throwback is kinda cool: they brought back DK Jr.!

Also, about the limited time thing, didn't they do something similar with the NES Mini? It was initially limited, but then they randomly rereleased it? They could totally do that again.

Nominations: Echo: Lord Fredrik (King K. Rool) x5
Yeah, they did that for the NES and SNES Classic, and I really hoped those kinds of tactics wouldn't stick around. I still remember queueing up at the NYC Nintendo Store on Black Friday at 5 in the morning just to get that damn NES, and I still haven't managed to find the SNES online without its price being inflated. Even if they do reprintings of the games down the line, it'll still be hell to get because they're already in the minds of people as limited items.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Day over.

Rate Professor Layton and Steve.

Predict Rex and Waluigi.

Megadoomer Megadoomer

-----

Some songs to get into the Professor Layton mood:

Some songs to get into the Steve mood:

-----

Abstaining on both characters since I'm busy atm.

Rex chance prediction: 60.00% (score will most likely increase from last time because of Min Min)
Waluigi chance prediction: 15.00% (score will most likely decrease from last time because of Min Min)

-----

Nominations:
I don't want a tie between the top two noms so I'll nominate the following:

Concept: A non-videogame character gets a Mii Costume x9
Stage: Bowser's Castle x1 (might as well save this cool idea from the nom purge)

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
The guy who had a crossover with Phoenix Wright.

Chance: 55%

Level 5 is a company that has worked closely with Nintendo for many years and is a frontrunner when it comes to new companies who don't have a rep yet. Professor Layton remains as their frontrunner. His series is Nintendo-focused, recognizable, brimming with personality and Layton himself is fairly requested. Not to mention, he has been shown to hold his own during several scuffles.

As for downsides? Well Level 5 has not been doing too hot recently, though I don't see how that would affect their chances. Aside from that, I can't see any big obstacles in Layton's way aside from general competition and the very small chance that we end up in a timeline where Jibanyan gets in instead. Heck, I'm not even sure if he is directly competing with Phoenix so that might not be an issue. Overall, Layton is in a pretty good spot and he just makes a lot of sense to be included.

Want: 55%

I've only played a little bit of his games. They are charming and have some nice music, but I would have to get into them more if I want to be hyped for his inclusion. Though I already would be happy for his inclusion as I have respect for him and his legacy. Plus a moveset based around puzzles sounds interesting and I'm curious how that would work.

The game that is both heart warming and terrifying.

Chance: 60%

I will make this quick since we just rated Steve right before this schedule. Basically, nothing has changed. Minecraft is still hugely iconic and popular worldwide. It's also the game that paved the way for Banjo. Steve is a requested character who has moveset potential thanks to pickaxes, bow and arrows, potions, TNT, redstone, and the ability to destroy and place blocks and craft items. People often say that Steve would look ugly and is too stiff. What about Mr. Game and Watch? Not to mention they could make Steve move like the characters from Minecraft Dungeons and other spinoff games. As for him having no personality, take a good look at villager. Or R.O.B. If anyone can give Steve personality, it's Sakurai. Overall, Steve is one of our top Western frontrunners and is the most likely Microsoft rep (Sorry Chief, your lack of Nintendo history really hurts you).

Want: 100%

I still love Minecraft. It means a lot to me and it bring back memories. I give Steve a 100 just for the stage alone which could have a variety of different locations to scroll through and different mobs as stage hazards. That is probably my most wanted new stage alongside a Civilization stage. But furthermore, Steve would be a fun character if they implemented some kind of crafting system. And finally the music. It would be tricky to remix but honestly I don't care if they just leave it as it is. I absolutely love the music and I want it in Smash.

Predictions:
Rex - 55% (I look forward to this, especially since I will be giving out my highest chance score)
Waluigi - 20%

Noms: Ezio x5

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Layton isn't a name I've seen very often, so I'll dig into his games and do another intro-writeup for him tomorrow. Won't be doing the same for Steve?, though; Everyone knows who he is by now, so he won't need it.

BlueEyedGrimmbat

Smash Apprentice
Abstain on Professor Layton

The original "Oof" (Steve):
Chance: 30%
Steve had a bright future ahead of him until Banjo-Kazooie ran that over. I don't think we're getting another Microsoft rep in Smash. That said, Minecraft is still popular enough that Steve could still have a chance. He's got a lot of moveset potential and legacy backing him, even more than Master Chief has.

Want: 45%
He would be...interesting I guess? I haven't played Minecraft in a looong time, and I haven't had much attachment to it. But with all the stuff Minecraft has, I'm interested to see how they pull Steve in Smash off, if they do.

Noms: Amiya x5
1 more day until Caster bunny girl reaches 100 noms...

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Gonna abstain on both, not a lot of energy to write today, plus circumstances for Steve haven't really changed and we've rated him multiple times recently. He's still in a very comfortable position, which is good! As for Layton, level-5 isn't doing so hot right now, so it really depends on them getting another release or two.

Nominations:
[Rerate] Prince of All Cosmos x5

Predictions:
Rex - 72.43% - After Min Min put Rex back on the table (and her being the other series that missed the boat for the base roster), expecting Rex scores to skyrocket.
Waluigi - 36.49% - Not expecting much to change for Waluigi, though Spring man's lack of promotion might make people less confident in assist trophies after all, and I'm not expecting another rating-screwing fandom flood like Isaac had.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Abstain on both. I don't feel urge to write.

Nom: Neptune from Neptunia x 5

Last edited:

Simnm

Smash Journeyman
Abstaining on layton
Steve
Chance:95%
I honestly think that steve is the character closest to a lock as minecraft has not only played a big part in banjo getting in smash but also has influenced botw one of nintendos most crtically aclaimed games coupled with the fact that steve has significant fan demand,it makes steve one of the most likeliest characters moreso than crash.
The only possible cons that i could think off that could hinder steve getting in is the fact that nintendo might not think that minecraft is suited for a fighter but even then,it is quite unlikely nintendo might think like this as a minecraft fighter could bring a lot to smash and sales to the fighter pass.
The original "Oof" (Steve):
Chance: 30%
Steve had a bright future ahead of him until Banjo-Kazooie ran that over. I don't think we're getting another Microsoft rep in Smash. That said, Minecraft is still popular enough that Steve could still have a chance. He's got a lot of moveset potential and legacy backing him, even more than Master Chief has.
The business benefits that steve and minecraft would bring to smash outweights that of any benefit of not including any more reps of a previous company in the first fighters pass.
Want:100%
Minecraft is influential and has played a big part in my childhood.steve will bring a lot to smash moveset wise.

Last edited:
Top Bottom