• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Day over.

And to think we were once expecting a general Direct in July hahaha.

Rate Tails and Eggman from the Sonic series.

Predict Andy from Advance Wars and Ayumi Tachibana from Famicom Detective Club.

Megadoomer Megadoomer

-----

Some songs to get into the Tails mood:

Some songs to get into the Eggman Robotnik mood:

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Tails

Chance: 20%. He is a very popular Sonic character, and one of Sonic’s first allies to boot, so his chance is quite decent. The one thing we know I said that since Min-Min became playable Tails and many other Sonic characters has gotten a higher chance of being playable.

Want: 85%. Tails would be fun to play as, and a fighter with a spinning tail would be unique amoung the cast. Overall, Tails would be a great choice for a Smash Bros rep, and we can get to see Sonic and Tails fight Mario and Luigi in a 2 v 2 match.

Dr.Eggman.

Chance: 20%. His chance has increased a bit for the same reasons as Tails. Eggman being a villain would also help him get a chance, since we need a Third Party Antagonist who is playable.

Want: 85%. He would be fun to play as, and I can see him face off against Bowser, King K.Rool and King Dedede in a free for all. And even if he does not become playable, he could also be a fun boss to fight. Overall, Eggman has lots of potential to be in Smash Bros.

Prediction: Andy (10%) and Ayumi (5%)

Noms: 5 for Giygas

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Robotnik's son
Chance: 1%
While it happened way before vol 2 was on the table, the Mii costume of him that was released alongside Joker could be seen as a deconfirmation. It's also just generally hard to see us getting another Sonic character. You'd think the franchise would be due for second character but everyone and their mom was expecting Shadow in the base game yet that didn't happen which leads me to believe there's something holding the series from getting its second character. There are still other SEGA series they could choose and the Sonic series apparently lacks some Japanese popularity so that does not give me much hope either. Tails is iconic, a decently popular request and could make for a unique character but I think these problems are too big to ignore.

Want: 50%

Not my preferred Sonic pick but I certainly wouldn't say no to him or the content he'd bring. (as long as it isn't from a certain recent game) He more than deserves it being a mainstay since Sonic 2 and I know he'd make a ton of people happy, besides the hardcore Shadow crowd.

S.S.S.S.S. SQUAD, ARRESTESESESEST HIM
Chance: 2%
I'd say he's the likeliest Sonic character but that for the most part is because of the other big options already being a costume, Assist Trophy or both while Robotnik only has a Spirit at most which isn't as bad of a situation to be in. In fairness, that could signify Eggman being less popular and less of a priority than the others despite having the most seniority. I do think he'd be the most unique option and would likely bring a stage more aesthetically different from Green and Windy Hill but overal, he still suffers from the same problems all potential Sonic reps face that I brought up above.

Want: 90%
Yes please! There are few characters you can call more based than Dr. Robotnik. He seems universally liked as a character and I haven't seen many people who wouldn't dig the idea of him in Smash. He has so much potential to work with for both a moveset and a stage. The Egg moblie with all its weaponry and the dozens of mechs he's piloted could make for a spectacular kit that would put Bowser Jr to shame. Locations like the Death Egg, Egg Feet, Sky Deck and Tropical Resort just write themselves as stages. Not to mention the music. Honestly, I imagine an Eggman challenger pack would have more value to me than most unrepped series, be it from SEGA or others.

Andy: 6.34%
Ayumi: 1.79%
Deltarune content x5

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Jim Carrey

Chance: 10%
Honestly, I don't see why not. Sonic only has two stages, one from the first game and one from Lost World, and they're both grassy plains. There's a ton of content that could come with a new Sonic character, for example from the Adventure games, or Colors, or Generations, or even Forces. Eggman in particular is an incredibly iconic villain, and would give us a true mech fighter (sorry Bowser Jr., but nobody thinks you count). Giving him a low score because there's many ways they could go with a second Sonic character, including Tails and Shadow, so they all kinda compete on that front.

Want: 100%
Eggman is awesome, nothing else to add.

Butt Copter

Chance: 5%
At first I was gonna give him 0% because of his DLC Mii Costume, but it's true that it came early enough that it's probable that FPVol2 wasn't decided yet, so I split the difference. Aside from that, Tails is also incredibly iconic, Sonic's Luigi, and he could be partially based on Sonic without being a clone. If I'm allowed to dream for a moment, I'd like to get a Chemical Plant Zone stage, and that fits really well with Tails due to their shared origin, so that'd be great.

Sonic has an incredibly iconic stable of characters, it's about time we got another one of them.

Noms: ****ing Tidus x5
Andy prediction: 7.24%
Ayumi prediction: 9.99%

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Tails
Chance: 20%. Tails is Sonic's Luigi, and one of the most iconic video game helpers. He would make a lot of sense to be added. The problem is, he doesn't have many Spirits he's directly related to, which would hurt his chances a fair bit. Not helping matters is his already-existing Mii Costume. He's got a good shot, but not as DLC.
Want: 80%. Heck yeah, Sonic was my childhood! I'd be down for pretty much any major character from there, and Tails is in need of a redemption after Sonic Forces forced him into the role of a drag-along.
Eggman
Chance: 60%. As Sonic's arch-enemy and one of the most iconic video game villains, Eggman has a pretty good shot, much like Tails. In fact, I'd say he's kinda overlooked by speculation. There's one thing he has over any other Sonic character: Badniks. He has a plethora of enemies and boss fights to his name, and the only ones who are actually Spirits are himself and Metal Sonic. That could give him the edge by providing a Spirit Board for him. Bonus points if he hijacks the end card and turns it into SUPER SMASH BROS. ULTIMATE X EGGMAN EMPIRE, just because he can.
Want: 80%. As stated above, more Sonic is a good thing in my book. Eggman himself could bring a unique moveset with his Eggmobile, drawing from his countless boss fights and Badniks to develop a strategic, hard-hitting fighting style. Plus, I believe he's the one with the best shot, so it's best to push the realizable dream.
Predictions
Ayumi: 12.54%
Andy: 6.41%
Nomination: Klonoa x5

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Spinning "Tails" a "Mile" a minute. Yeah that is the best I have.

Chance: 0%

I see DLC Mii costumes as a deconfirmation (with the exception being Rex as his Mii costume was a Pass bonus and not an individual purchase). Tails is definitely iconic, requested, and would be a prime candidate for a second Sonic rep if it wasn't for the DLC Mii costume. But that's the thing. Despite Sonic being THE third party character of Smash, the series doesn't have a second rep which is very surprising. There has to be something that is holding back the series from getting another rep. I don't know what that could be, but all I know is that this next character is more likely in my eyes.

Want: 25%

Sorry Tails. I know you are iconic and all of that jazz, but I would be much more excited for Shadow and Eggman as they are an anti-hero and a villain respectively and I think they would have more fun movesets. I could be proven wrong, but I would have to see moveset ideas to be more hyped for Tails. It also doesn't help that I am not a big Sonic fan and there are many other third parties I would be more hyped for.

The guy with the Mean Bean Machine

Chance: 15%

I see Eggman as the likeliest Sonic character due to not having a DLC Mii costume or assist trophy, or both. But that's not saying much. Again, It's really strange that we don't have another Sonic rep and honestly at this point I'm starting to doubt we will get another one, at least in this game. My big issue with Eggman is that despite him having no major obstacles since base game spirits do not deconfirm, he also doesn't have too much going for him. Sure, he is one of gaming's most iconic villains, he is relevant, and Sonic is still popular, etc. But he has no major push from the fans, Nintendo isn't heavily pushing Sonic right now, and of course competition from inside the company including Arle Nadja who just had Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 announced and Puyo Puyo right now is getting a lot of love from Nintendo and Sega. To me, it just feels like the series isn't a high priority right now even with how huge Sonic is and the fact that the series more than deserves another rep. Overall, I say he has a decent chance and he deserves to get in, but I can't count on it.

Want: 55%

Sonic desperately needs another rep badly. I would take either Shadow or Eggman, I would be fine with either of them. Eggman would be fun if they incorporated some of his numerous mechs and gadgets and another villain is always welcomed. The only reason this isn't higher is because I got horses not just in other third party series, but within the same company as well.

In other words, I really want Arle instead.

Predictions:
Andy - 5%
Ayumi - 1%

Noms: Ezio x5

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I always forget how every time we rate Agumon, his thread shows up and overrates him. Well, just another one to add to the list I guess.

Concept: A non-white/Asian human character x285
Concept: A non-videogame character gets a Mii Costume x285
Tidus x255
Nate Adams x230
[Rerate] Ezio x225
Shuichi Saihara x206
Moogle x175

200 - 151

[Rerate] Prince of All Cosmos x160

150 - 101

Concept: Content from currently unreleased game (not Spirit Events) (as of May 17th 2020) x150
Alex Mason x145
[Rerate] Monster Hunter x145
[Rerate] Frisk x140
Concept: Shin Megami Tensei rep x140
Echo: Xion (Sora) x130
Sakura Shinguji x130
Klonoa x125
Concept: Pokémon Mystery Dungeon content x121
The Stretchers x120
D.Va x115
Red (Angry Birds) x115
Concept: Deltarune content x111
Zelda (BotW sequel) x110
Billy Hatcher x110
Proto Man x110

100 - 51

Amiya (Arknights) x85
Concept: Darksiders rep x80
Sackboy x80
Riptor x80
Hades (Kid Icarus) x80
Fulgore x79
Concept: More ATs as one new item x75
Lu Bu (Dynasty Warriors) x75
Boss: Ender Dragon x73
Mii Costume: Alex Kidd x70
Echo: Dark Bowser (Bowser) x67
The Terrarian x65
Concept: Rocket League rep x65
Concept: Second F-Zero rep x64
[Rerate] Concept: Boss Rush x60
Concept: SNES-era Final Fantasy rep x55
Dwight Fairfield (Dead by Daylight) x55
Mii Costume: Jill Stingray x55
Austin the Butler (Gardenscapes) x55
Concept: Fortnite character x55

50 - 25

Giygas x50
Echo: Zeraora (Lucario) x50
[Rerate] Jin Kazama x50
Gooigi x50
Jason Frudnick & SOPHIA x50
Dr. Goomba Tower x50
Magolor x50
John Marston x50
Jin Sakai x50
[Rerate] Monokuma x50
Stage: Bowser's Castle x50
Echo: Lord Fredrik (King K. Rool) x39
The Bard (Wandersong) x35
Ghirahim x35
Boss: Rayquaza x34
Concept: Returning stages x31
Echo (Olimar) x31
Concept: Fighter Pass Volume 2 is half Nintendo and half third party x30
Urbosa x30
Yoshimitsu x30
Neptune (Hyperdimension Neptunia) x30
Concept: A Microsoft rep that isn't Steve or Master Chief x30
Concept: Assist Trophies added in updates x27
Rival Pokémon Trainer x25
Concept: Dark Souls rep x25
[Rerate] Maxwell x25
Vi (Bug Fables) x25
Lora and Jin x25

Under 25

Black Shadow x20
Concept: Fighter Pass 2 gets delayed x20
Demi-fiend x20
Chell x18
Zeraora x15
Wolf Link x15
Concept: FP2 character comes with an Echo Fighter x15
Cynthia x15
Taranza x11
Gran/Djeeta x10
Otto Matic x10
The Avatar (Ultima) x10
Concept: Bravely Default rep x10
Medusa (Kid Icarus) x10
Concept: Rhythm Heaven rep x10
Tetra x10
Mii Costume: Jacket x7
Concept: Darkstalkers rep x6
Sparky (Clash Royale) x5
Concept: Overwatch character x5
Asha (Wonder Boy) x5
Mii Costume: Hat Kid x5
Concept: Portal 2 rep x5
Breath of the Wild 2 Ganondorf x5
Tick (Brawl Stars) x5
King Graham x5
Cooking Mama x5
Jill (Drill Dozer) x5
Asuka (Senran Kagura) x5
Furret x5
Deku Scrub x5
Mii Costume: Edward Falcon x5
Concept: A LABO character x5
Concept: Bonus character x5
Concept: No AT promotions x5
[Rerate] Morrigan Aensland x5
[Rerate] Cadence x5
Octoling x5
Kazuya Mishima x5
Excitebiker x5
Zero (Mega Man) x5
Gil (Babylonian Castle Saga/The Tower of Druaga) x5
Young Wizard (Wizard101) x5
Concept: Tetris 99 stage x5
Concept: More individual stage DLC x5
Concept: Generic Zora x3
Three Mage Sisters x2
Concept: A Pokémon Trainer who fights x2
Concept: A fighter who uses all kicks x2
[Rerate] Metal Sonic x2
Concept: Generic Goron x2
Kass x1

Concept: Fortnite character builds past 50 noms.

Stage: Bowser's Castle reaches 50 noms and is now safe from the purge.

Lora and Jin escape the under 25 club.

A new concept rises to the occasion! More individual stage DLC joins the list with 5 noms.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Eggman is awesome, nothing else to add.
you of all people know you need two sentences

now then

the world's greatest side kick
chances: 50% sonic seems to me like a series that is bound to get another character one day. tails being the second main character and the third most popular character in the series seems enough to warrant it alone. not to mentions he is an all round gaming icon. neither being a spirit nor a background character should really stand in they way and im willing to believe that his returning costume was decided on before the pass. im not overly optimistic about his 50/50 chances but looking at it he should be a prime candidate for smash
want: 100% tails is by far my favourite sonic character. i would be over hyped to see him in smash perhaps more so than when sonic was revealed way back when. this would be an amazing thing to happen.

a genius at heart who wanted to unlock the mysteries of life
chances: 50% if ever there was to be second sonic character i can believe it would be him. one of the most iconic video game villains even eggman is exactly the sort of character you'd expect to see in smash. eggman is still popular in his own way, though people need to let the robotnik thing go, despite the sonic series many ups and downs people still love him.
want: 100% im not usually one for villains but i would gladly take eggman. be he jumping around in his eggmobile or just using an arsenal of gadgets he would have an amazing moveset. plus theres a good chanes that wed get some hilarious dialogue and id love to hear mike pollocks evil laugh in the game.

nominate nate adams x5

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Tails
Chance: 0.2%
I don't feel like a new Snic character is hapening for this pass. Beyond the fact that there is yet to be a third party series with one than one character, if another Sonic character was high on Nintendo's priority list, they would have joined before Joker. And it's also not like there's no other Sega series that could get a character, I mean, Puyo Puyo got Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 anounced 2 days ago, SMT is getting both Nocturne HD and SMTV soon, and if Miku could get in then she would probably be the one at the top of the priority list of Sega reps after Joker, that's not taking series like Nights or Jet Set Radio into acount. Beyond that, Tails could totaly happen as the second Sonic rep since echoes are not hapening for dlc, which was Shadow's best shot, and without Shadow having the possibility of being an echo, there's only one other Sonic character I can see getting in as the second Sonic character in Smash. There's also the fact that the Sonic content we have in Smash is really not ideal, and I mostly put the blame on Sega's part since we know that they don't want Sonic to be a color other than blue, so I don't know if they would agree to give another Sonic character the spotlight since it has been a Sonic only thing since Unleahsed.
Want: 85%
Sure, Tails was a great character before Colors, and his moveset could actualy give justive to the Sonic series, unlike Sonic's bland moveset. His moveset in SSF2 even makes him very fun to use. And of course we could get a new Sonic stage that is also not Green Hill or Green Hill 2 Electric Boogaloo, and a lot of good music, though there's also the risk of the content coming with Tails could be very similar to the one we already have with Sonic.

Dr Eggman
Chance: 0.2%
I don't feel like a new Snic character is hapening for this pass. Beyond the fact that there is yet to be a third party series with one than one character, if another Sonic character was high on Nintendo's priority list, they would have joined before Joker. And it's also not like there's no other Sega series that could get a character, I mean, Puyo Puyo got Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 anounced 2 days ago, SMT is getting both Nocturne HD and SMTV soon, and if Miku could get in then she would probably be the one at the top of the priority list of Sega reps after Joker, that's not taking series like Nights or Jet Set Radio into acount. Beynod that, Eggman could totaly happen as the secnod Sonic rep since echoes ar not hapening for dlc, which was Shadow's best shot, and without Shadow having the possibility of being an echo I can only see Eggman or Tails being the Sonic rep. There's also the fact that the Sonic content we have in Smash is really not ideal, and I mostly put the blame on Sega's part since we know that they don't want Sonic to be a color other than blue, so I don't know if they would agree to give another Sonic character the spotlight since it has been a Sonic only thing since Unleahsed. And yes, this is almost the same thing than for Tails but I honestly don't see their chances as different considering that they are 2 of the most important character of the same series.
Want: 83%
Eggman could be fun, bt Tails get a slight edge over him because a moveset for Tails is more concrete, a big part of it being due to SSF2 having Tails playable, while Eggman is more shaky for getting a moveset but still largely doable. owever, Eggman gets extra points because he could bring Sonic content that would 100% not just be like the one already in the game, like for eample the ARK as a stage which I would absolutely love to have as a stage. And also more Sonic music including his Adventure theme which is just hype.

Predictions:
Andy: 5.3%
Ayumi: 1.4%

Nominations: SMT rep x5

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Tails

Chance: 0.1%
I just don't see Sega or Nintendo double-dipping on a Sonic character for DLC when there are a ton of unrepresented Sega franchises to choose from. Both Puyo Puyo and Yakuza are gaining more popularity by the day so it'd make more sense to promote one of those series than to add a character from an already repped one. Tails in particular is also in a weird spot when it comes to Sonic characters: he's too similar to Sonic and yet at the time time is too unique to work as a bonus echo. I don't see Luigi/Lucas-esque clones being any of the Fighters Pass characters which is why it's hard for me to see Tails happening anytime soon in Ultimate.

Want: 70%
Tails is one of my favorite Sonic characters so of course I'd like to see him make it into Smash. Score would probably be higher though I'm still rooting for Axel and Arle more when it comes to Sega reps. And admittedly Sonic's moveset (which Tails would most likely take inspiration from) isn't exactly one of my favorites in Smash.

-----

Robotnik

Chance: 0.5%
Again I don't see another Sonic character happening for DLC because of all of the Sega competition. I'll give Eggman a slight edge over Tails since he'd be a fully unique fighter and would probably make for a better purchase deal in the eyes of Nintendo ($5.99 for a brand new character instead of a clone).

Want: 75%
I've never been a fan of Sonic's moveset which is why the idea of Eggman fighting in a mech has always appealed to me more than just about all of the various Sonic echo/clone candidates. Granted I would still prefer some other Sega characters like Axel or Arle but Eggman is easily my most wanted Sonic character.

-----

Andy chance prediction: 4.50%
Ayumi chance prediction: 0.90%

-----

Nominations:
Concept: A non-videogame character gets a Mii Costume x5

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
To preface with both, I think Nintendo wanting to go for other SEGA franchises could hurt them in the long run. But I don't think by any means that they're impossible, now, for the individual ratings:

Tails Per Hour
Tails has been around since the second game, as early as a year into the franchise existing. Being Sonic's trusty sidekick, he's made more than enough appareances to warrant a playable inclusion, having a lot of popularity as well to boot. Should they ever go with a second Sonic character, I see them choosing him for these reasons. But there's some things to keep in mind:
-Tails already got his Mii Costume in a DLC Wave. Whether this Mii was decided prior to FP2's selection is unclear (AFAIK) but if it wasn't, I'd say Tails' chances are sadly dead in the water. Can't just revive from that one!
-Even though Tails is well-known and integral to the Sonic series, which is pretty big already, he also has competition with other characters from the same series for a spot. As well as within the company, as I mentioned above.
Nonetheless, I don't think it's impossible at all. Sonic has been around since Brawl. They could go with a second character, and Tails is a good choice for that spot. It just might not be that likely.
Want: 90%
I'd love to see him in, especially if they take into account stuff apart from just making him a Sonic echo or Dr. Mario equivalent like they probably could. Tails' main strength is his mobility via his flight, so I could see that being used a lot in the moveset. He also has tons of gadgets: bombs, shields, even an arm cannon, that could be great if used. He also could get a stage from his debut game, Sonic 2, like Casino Night or Chemical Plant to finally free us from greeny Sonic stages in the game. All that being said, I'd be really happy to see him.

Eggman, I've got the master plan!
Chance: 30%
In contrast with Tails above, Eggman (or Robotnik, however you prefer calling him) has been around since the very beginning of the series. He's known, has lots and lots of material to use, and is the main antagonist of the series. He could make lots of sense for a second character if they went for one. Unlike Tails, as of now, Eggman has no content in the game aside from a Spirit, which was added in base game, so I'd say it does moot for his chances. Much like I put in Tails' chance though, he still has competition within the same company, so it might not be as possible. Nonetheless, I'd say in terms of Sonic characters to add, Eggman is very much up there.
It's EGGMAN! How couldn't I want him? I'd be stoked to see how they'd do his moveset, since he'd need one of his many mechs, my guess is they would either go with the classic Eggmobile and have it adapt, or use the Egg Walker from SA2. I'd prefer the first, because that way you could incorporate a lot more stuff. The easy comparison is with Bowser Jr, but I think Eggman would go further with his mech. To add, his stage would at least be almost guaranteed to not be a greeny one, since there are many of his fortresses, bases, and what-have-you to use. I'd be really happy to see him, but I know it's not that likely either way.

Nominations: Proto Man x5

Predictions:
Andy: 5%
Ayumi: 2%

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
How have I not rated either of these characters before? Wild.

Tails
Chance 3 - Kinda a weird spot here. Tails feels like the Luigi to Sonic's Mario and yet it doesn't feel like he's very wanted or that Sega really cares that much about him anyways. There's also the idea that Sega might not go back to the Sonic well and that it feels like Nintendo themselves like other characters from the series more and.... yeah. Not looking great.

Want 30 - Eh. I never really was that big of a fan of Tails. I like Eggman, Shadow, Knuckles, and Silver and lot more. Not that he couldn't be a good pick, just not really a fan. Hard to say he doesn't deserve it though.

Eggman
Chance 5- While it doesn't feel like Sega cares any less about him like I said above with Tails, it does seem like they're kinda passing him over too. I'm not sure why as Eggman is one of the more iconic video game villians but while Shadow and Knuckles are ATs he sits with just a spirit.

Want 100 - Feel like he should already be in or at worst an AT. He's one of the most iconic villians in gaming after all. The lack of love for him has always felt off to me. Probably one of the most deserving characters who isn't already in.

Predictions
Andy - 2.1
Ayumi - .41

Noms
A Non Steve/Chief Microsoft rep x5

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Abstain. I don't have an opinion on these two.

Nominations: Echo: Lord Fredrik (King K. Rool) x1, Concept: Returning stages x4

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Abstain. I don't feel urged to rate.

Nom: Neptune from Neptunia x 5 (Yeah... despite purge, I will give her a shot till the end)

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
How have I not rated either of these characters before? Wild.

Tails
Chance 3 - Kinda a weird spot here. Tails feels like the Luigi to Sonic's Mario and yet it doesn't feel like he's very wanted or that Sega really cares that much about him anyways. There's also the idea that Sega might not go back to the Sonic well and that it feels like Nintendo themselves like other characters from the series more and.... yeah. Not looking great.

Want 30 - Eh. I never really was that big of a fan of Tails. I like Eggman, Shadow, Knuckles, and Silver and lot more. Not that he couldn't be a good pick, just not really a fan. Hard to say he doesn't deserve it though.

Eggman
Chance 5- While it doesn't feel like Sega cares any less about him like I said above with Tails, it does seem like they're kinda passing him over too. I'm not sure why as Eggman is one of the more iconic video game villians but while Shadow and Knuckles are ATs he sits with just a spirit.

Want 100 - Feel like he should already be in or at worst an AT. He's one of the most iconic villians in gaming after all. The lack of love for him has always felt off to me. Probably one of the most deserving characters who isn't already in.

Predictions
Andy - 2.1
Ayumi - .41

Noms
A Non Steve/Chief Microsoft rep x5
im curious what makes you think sega is passing over them?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Tails

Chance: 0% We've never seen Smash double dip third party franchises outside of echoes, which this DLC wouldn't include, not to mention that Tails got his Mii hat back, which I consider a death sentence.

Want: 10% I never really liked Tails despite having grown up with Sonic, I also can't really imagine Tails being an especially fun fighter in terms of moves as Sega's surprisingly strict on Sonic character portrayals as seen with Ian Flynn facing constant restrictions on the comics

Eggman

Chance: 1% Mostly the same reason as Tails, but as Eggman has no Mii content, he's still got a nonzero chance in my book.

Want: 50% Eggman's one of the first characters I think of when dealing with video game villains, I absolutely adore Mike Pollock's portrayal of Eggman but I have a hard time imagining a faithful moveset and I have mixed feelings on a made up moveset for him.

SMT rep

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Tails of Prower

I don't really see it. While Tails is inarguably the dedicated "Player 2" of the Sonic series, his position as such in most of the Sonic series' output in recent years has been pretty much ignored outside of Mania. And of course, we also need to keep in mind that Nintendo as well as Sakurai and his team need to see any actual value in adding to the way the Sonic series is represented in Smash. And considering how little was added to Sonic's appearance in Smash despite it being a constant since Brawl. . . yeah, I doubt it. Characters from other Sega franchises just have a far better shot, I'd say.

Want: 15%
Another Sonic character would be nice, but I'm gonna be blunt here, I wouldn't really care for Tails. There's just several more interesting characters that could be added to represent this series, as far as I'm concerned.

I HAVE COME TO MAKE AN ANNOUNCEMENT

A bit better than Tails, but still not great by any means. Eggman would be a pretty unique addition to the roster, but I don't see him getting in over most other Sega characters.

Want: 80%
Out of the Sonic series' entire cast, Eggman would probably be my most wanted. Dude's funny, and with his various mechs, he could make for pretty fun and unique character, I'd feel. My one hope would be that they give him a lot of voiced dialogue.

Concept: A non-white/Asian human character x5
(At this point I honestly wonder if this is the most nominated thing this thread has ever had, and if not, what is)

Predictions:
Andy - 3.33%
Ayumi - 1.67%

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Arms the Fox

Tails is one of the most famous video game characters on the planet being the most famous video game sidekick outside Luigi.

The only issue is we've never seen a company double dip on a series that isn't an elaborate echo, and Sega, much to my surprise, has never pushed a second Sonic character as a priority favouring Bayonetta and Joker over Tails, Shadow or Eggman.

Tails also has a mii costume which could be an issue.

Tails was the first video game character I ever played as and he sits firmly in third for my favourite video game character of all time as a result just after my namesakes.

Tails himself is hard to judge how he'd be implemented. Classic Tails is basically Sonic with the ability to fly, whilst modern Tails is more focused on technology using things such as dummy rings, chu chu bombs, a walking mecha, blasters, etc but simultaneously tends to be more hands off as a fighter.

A mix of the two would be ideal. Tails could basically be a cross between Sonic and Snake with traps and weaponry as well as spin dashs and double tail hits.

Either way he'd be an instant main for me.

Jim Carrey
Chance: 3%

Eggman similarly is massively famous as video game villains go.
Second only to Bowser, Eggman is about as big a video game character as you can get.

Putting his chance at slightly lower despite this as Sakurai tends to add the sidekick before the villain and also Sega put Eggman in far less playable roles than Tails, Knuckles and Shadow.

Everything against Tails also applies here though bar the Mii outfit.

Want: 85%
Eggman would be a dedicated mecha character for sure, and the character himself is highly enjoyable. Not entirely sure how he'd work as his most well known mecha permenantly flies, so unless they pull a Bowser Jr with the Clown Car that's going to be weird.

Eggman for me is never quite as high as Tails, but I still rank him above every other Sonic character in terms of want.

Nominations:
Mii costume Alex Kidd x 5

Last edited:

Drason

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Coke
Miles Per Hour
Chance:5%

Basically he's one of the most iconic characters in the Sonic franchise so you would think he would have the highest chance. HOWEVER, he has a Mii costume that puts him in an awkward spot. There's also the fact that I've seen more request for the rivals (Knuckles and Shadow) more than him

Want:60%
I'm a massive Sonic fan, so any representation for that series is a huge plus for me. There's also the fact that Tails lends himself to a wide breadth of attack options ranging from his mech in SA2 to the Wispons in Colors, hell even the tails attack from the original Adventure.
The E.G.G.M.A.N.
Chance:20%

One of the most iconic video game villains of all time from a series that's been begging for more representation. He has the same problem as Tails, seeing that his name hasn't been brought up as many times as the other 2 I mentioned. However, he's free from the Mii Costume curse while also having a variety of moves to choose from for his attacks.

Want:90%
I just want to see what they'd do with his moveset. I'm pretty sure they'll take from his SA2 moveset the most considering that was the only time he was playable, but I'm sure they'll try and incorporate some his robots too. Probably a drill from the Egg Dragoon for his forward Smash, the iconic ball and chain from the first boss for his up smash, the Egg Viper saw blades for his special. The possibilities are endless.

Nom: Yoshimitsu

RineYFD

Smash Journeyman
Foxy:
Chances: 45℅
As much as I want the little guy with him being a Mii Costume, as well as the consistency of how the Sonic series has been represented since Brawl, it is really hard to say if he can be in Smash.
On the upside, he is one of the more iconic Sonic characters and is easily recognisable in gaming.
Not to mention the amount of potential for his moveset.
Want: 100℅
Do you even need to ask that question?
HELL. ****ING. YES
This has been my dream since I got into the series. And many others too ever since the EGM April Fools Joke. Considering this is the ULTIMATE Smash Bros game and how everyone is in, this is the most perfect game for him to join. It's one of the biggest celebrations of gaming ever. I cannot think of a more perfect time to include.
I love this character to death and almost do anything to get him into Smash. Automatically main him day one. My most wanted character in general
Also Mario and Luigi V Sonic and Tails.
@Egg****er1
Chances: 50℅
Same reasons as Tails, except no Mii Costume holding him back. The whole vehicle idea has already also been taken by Bowser Jr. That doesn't hold him back, but it doesn't make him stand out.
Wanted: 20℅
Whilst he is the villain of the Sonic franchise and how Ultimate had more villain newcomer then the previous games, the idea just doesn't..... Click in my head.
People have come up with loads of ideas on how he could be in Smash. But it never comes alive in my head.
I also would rather prefer Shadow, Knuckles, hell even Blaze over him.
Nominations: Zero(Megaman Zero version)

Last edited:

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Tails

Chance - 1% - The only instance of a third party franchise double dipping were echos. Even with the echos, though, the one that everyone was expecting for Smash, Shadow, was passed over. Overall, most people seem to be focusing on other Sega franchises if they do get another character. While Sonic will probably be one of the few franchises to do so, I have extreme doubts about this happening in favor of other franchises.

Want - 50% - Eh, not interested in another Sonic character for the sake of one. I know how important he is, though, and he might win me over with a good moveset, but overall I'm more interested in the guy below.

Eggman

Chance - 1.5% - Largely the same that can be applied to tails can be said about Egg man. The only differences is that Tails has a Mii costume and Eggman seems slightly more demanded. Otherwise, they're practically in the same boat.

Want - 55% - Slightly more interested because a Mecha character has been a major want for me. Jr. does not scratch that itch, so I'm a bit more interested in him. Not by much, though.

Nominations

Monster Hunter X5

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Lloyd Irving
44.10% Chance - 57.00% Want
First time we rated him he got 50.92% chance and 53.37% want. Back in the day, real early on in FPV1 speculation, he was still seen as the frontrunner for the Bandai Namco spot, only the idea of Bandai Namco not getting a character would've been laughed off back then. Second time we rated him he got 47.83% chance and 54.00% want. By this point, E3 has come and gone, we'd already gotten two JRPG protagonists (or 5, depending on how you count Hero), Heihachi's cons were looking weaker, and people were starting to wonder if Bandai Namco might miss off on a spot. Also, that's around the fleeting period of time when Yuri was taken seriously by speculation. Last time we rated him he got 50.29% chance and 47.85% want. A new Pass was around the corner, and surely that was to be Bandai Namco's time, right? This was also the first rating after Byleth's release, so clearly there was a lot of (misplaced?) optimism in another Pass chock-full of the big third parties. What's changed since then to make his chance score drop by a big 6%? Heihachi's costume came back with Min Min, showing nobody's truly safe from theirs coming back.
Winners of predictions were Blankiturayman Blankiturayman and Jomosensual Jomosensual with a precise 45.00%

Chosen Undead
21.13% Chance - 40.44% Want
Last time we rated him he got 18.16% chance and 23.67% want. This one definitely saw benefit from Heihachi's untimely disconfirmation, just look at that want score soar!
Winner of predictions was Blankiturayman Blankiturayman with a precise 20.00%

KOS MOS
6.17% Chance - 39.51% Want
Last time we rated her she got 8.87% chance and 35.24% want. By then all her rumors had been debunked, hence how similar the scores are to now.
Winners of predictions were DanganZilla5 DanganZilla5 and Jomosensual Jomosensual with a precise 4.00%
KOS-MOS remains a very controversial character, with many want scores nearing 100 and many right at 0. I should also mention that her chance rating is skewed by a rogue 50% (the second highest scores are 15%); without it, her score would be closer to 3.74%.

Dragapult
10.67% Chance - 27.55% Want
Winner of predictions was GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 with 10.08%

Toxtricity
12.74% Chance - 34.83% Want
Last time we rated it it got 12.34% chance and 41.62% want.
Winner of predictions was DanganZilla5 DanganZilla5 with a precise 13.00%

Urshifu
14.40% Chance - 12.92% Want
Last time we rated it it got 11.43% chance and 16.46% want.
Winners of predictions were BowserKing BowserKing and 3BitSaurus 3BitSaurus with a precise 15.00%
This puts Urshifu at number 4 on the least wanted first party characters (also, least wanted Gen 8 Pokemon). Congratulations!

Melmetal
1.32% Chance - 21.15% Want
First time we rated it it got 11.48% chance and 23.15% want. The first DLC character rated, along with Edelgard, and long before we knew what Sword and Shield was, this hunk of junk was one of the big boogeymen of speculation. Second time we rated it it got 3.62% chance and 10.78% want. Post E3, we knew about Sword and Shield, and the three starters, so this one was looking dead in the water. Last time we rated it it got 1.71% chance and 21.10% want. Dunno what caused that spike in want, though timeline-wise it coincides with Urshifu's appearance as the new cynical "worst case scenario", so maybe that's part of it.
Winner of predictions was waddledeeonredyoshi waddledeeonredyoshi with 1.44%
For Melmetal, I guess its single double-digits chance score (a 10%) counts as an outlying score. Without it, its score is an abysmal 0.59%. Either way, Melmetal is by far the least likely of the Gen 8 Pokémon.

Cinderace
32.33% Chance - 31.75% Want
Last time we rated it it got 26.63% chance and 27.71% want.
Winner of predictions was WeirdChillFever WeirdChillFever with 33.30%
Believe it or not, that score puts Cinderace in the top 5 for likelihood for first party characters (4th or 5th, depending on whether Master Hand counts), and thus the likeliest of the Gen 8 Pokémon.

Rillaboom
16.38% Chance - 35.50% Want
Last time we rated it it got 16.11% chance and 27.47% want.
Winner of predictions was GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 with 16.11%
Rillaboom is henceforth the most wanted Gen 8 Pokemon. I won't make the joke, but you're thinking of it.

Inteleon
12.18% Chance - 20.25% Want
Last time we rated it it got 12.41% chance and 27.00% want.
Winner of predictions was Sari Sari with a precise 12.00%

So, what changed for the whole bunch? Well, surprising no one, the want scores are basically split between those willing to tolerate another Pokemon and those who aren't; I don't recall seeing anyone actually hoping to get a Gen 8 Pokemon. The exception to this is Toxtricity, whose scores were mostly positive, and, if you want to be charitable, the starters, with Cinderace and Rillaboom being slightly polarized and Inteleon being more split than its brethren. Of note, despite being a less unanimous choice, Rillaboom still beat Toxtricity, so I guess it has a strong fanbase but a lot of hate as well. The recent popularity poll seemed to have no discernible effect on scores, despite being cited by many; Toxtricity barely saw a change in chance and dropped in want despite placing second out of these characters, Rillaboom saw increases in chance and especially in want despite being beaten by Cinderace, and newcomer Dragapult, the winner of said poll, barely made a dent in either category. Cinderace, however, emerges as somewhat of a clear frontrunner, with noticeable surges in both scores that could be attributed to that, whereas Inteleon, last among the starters, lost chance and want big time. Who knows? Maybe Rillaboom's defeat makes it more of an underdog that people want to root for, and maybe Toxtricity's starting to get backlash for its popularity. That could explain the fluctuations, though, as previously noted, there weren't many low want scores for Toxtricity.

Urshifu's chance score is higher and its want is lower, which I guess makes sense given its status. This is probably due to proximity to the Isle of Armor DLC. However, many pointed out that the more time passes, the less sense it'd make to release him, so expect lower scores if we ever rerate it down the line.

Lara Croft
32.41% Chance - 66.19% Want
First time we rated her she got 29.75% chance and 54.21% want. Last time we rated her she got 29.50% chance and 69.06% want. Not much is changing between these ratings, so unless something happens with the franchise I'd expect Lara to stay in the vicinity of these scores.
Winner of predictions was Perkilator Perkilator by virtue of being the highest prediction, with a precise 30.00%. I guess we all expected her to be underrated, so this should come as a pleasant surprise!

Elma
11.21% Chance - 61.57% Want
First time we rated her she got 20.41% chance and 48.84% want. This was pretty early in Vol 1 speculation, when Rex was out of the equation, Xenoblade DE wasn't a thing yet and so a Xenoblade X port or sequel being the next project was a strong possibility. Last time we rated her she got 6.48% chance and 51.18% want. By this point we knew about the Xenoblade remake, and Byleth had happened so Rex was starting to look like a strong possibility. Since then, Min Min demonstrated that Spirits can be upgraded to playable, so while Rex's odds skyrocketed in the eyes of many, Elma's are still seen as notably better. Also, you can see her support growing over time, so that's good news for her fanbase at least.
Winners of predictions were NintenRob NintenRob and DanganZilla5 DanganZilla5 with a precise 10.00%

Jibanyan
16.63% Chance - 24.74% Want
First time we rated him he got 16.97% chance and 15.00% want. Last time we rated him he got 16.00 chance and 21.09% want. Chance score is firmly stuck in the 16s, but since we first rated him he gained nearly 10% in want. What could be the cause of that?
Winner of predictions was BowserKing BowserKing with a precise 15.00%
Jibanyan also seems to be a controversial character, with almost half of his want scores being 0s.

Agumon
15.91% Chance - 58.10% Want
Last time we rated him he got 22.17% chance and 56.29% want. Ouch. I would have expected chance to go up, given Digimon's continued resurgence. But I guess Sakurai's statement about Bandai Namco forgetting they have a character in the game, plus Heihachi's surprise Mii Costume-ing makes any Bandai Namco character look less likely.
Winners of predictions were BowserKing BowserKing and Blankiturayman Blankiturayman with a precise 15.00%

Those with extra noms

3BitSaurus 3BitSaurus 5
Artix Artix 15
Awakining Awakining 5
Blankiturayman Blankiturayman 20
BowserKing BowserKing 15
Calamitas Calamitas 25
DanganZilla5 DanganZilla5 30
DaUsername DaUsername 97
Delzethin Delzethin 5
GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 40
Icedragonadam Icedragonadam 5
Jomosensual Jomosensual 10
KingofPhantoms KingofPhantoms 5
NintenRob NintenRob 40
Nemuresu Nemuresu 10
Ninjaed Ninjaed 20
Perkilator Perkilator 5
Ridrool64 Ridrool64 15
Sari Sari 5
SKX31 SKX31 5
Troykv Troykv 15
waddledeeonredyoshi waddledeeonredyoshi 35
WeirdChillFever WeirdChillFever 5
Wunderwaft Wunderwaft 5

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Tails

Chances: 20%

The Luigi to Sonic. Tails' a popular character who had a different personality from his debut to now. Part of me can see a mixture of range/trap and mechanic moves into his moveset. I think the only thing that's holding Tails (or any of the Sonic characters) back from being the second rep is possibility of SEGA not wanting their characters to be clones. Like someone mentioned above, Tails can easily be a mixture of Sonic and Snake in the fight with some from Bowser Jr from mecha move pool.

Eggman

Changes: 5%
Want: 40%

I'd be honest. I doubt Eggman would get in over people like Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, etc first. Only thing that works in his favor that almost no one other than Tails can do is the mecha moveset that he did similar to Sonic Adventure 2. Rockets, lasers, etc works into his moves rather well. Eggman could be a candidate or Smash 6 when the time comes.

Nominate: Gen 1 Pokemon Mii Costume x5

MisterMike

Smash Champion
-= Tails and Eggman =-
Chance: 1%
Putting aside my belief that we're not likely to get another character from SEGA in this pass, at this stage of the game I would be legitimately surprised if they also decided to add another Sonic character rather than a character from one of their subsidiaries, like Joker for Atlus. Also, both Tails and Eggman seem like base game newcomers rather than headliners for an entire Challenger Pack. I just don't see either of them happening, really. That said...

-= Tails =-
Want: 50%
I'd be alright with Tails getting in. I think he could make for an interesting moveset, and it would be pretty hilarous to finally make those old Melee rumors come true.

-= Eggman =-
Want: 35%
Similar to Tails, though I feel he'd be much harder to visualize a decent moveset for him. Since he's often seen in a mech, it'd make sense for him to be in one the whole time. But in doing that, it'd basically make him into a bigger, clunkier Bowser Jr., which not only would be too iterative to justify his inclusion, I really don't think it fits him at all.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Tails

2% Chance

Mii costume so early is the only saving grace. When you are a character that has strong competition and is a mii costume it is not a good sign. Yes he is important to sonic but the fact he is a mii costume is so damning.

Abstain Want

Eggman

30% Chance

TBH a total sleeper choice. Sonic is one of only two franchises for third parties I can see getting another rep rn, the other is FF. Eggman is arguably the most likely choice for a unique character, tho some swear by Tails. With Tails getting costumed, it is a boon for him.

100% want

What? I like Eggman. He is hilarious and even visually has so much personality. It also doesn’t help I’m a sucker for villains and Eggman is one of the most iconic villains in gaming. Throw in more sonic music and I am gold.

Dealers choice x 5, save something someone has honed recently that might get purged.

day over new day. Rate Andy from Advance Wars and AyumI Tachibani from Fan icon Detective, predict Prof Layton and Steve.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Some songs to get into the Andy mood:

Some songs to get into the Ayumi mood:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Gonna keep it brief today since my fingers are sore from playing too much Taiko no Tatsujin last night ^^; Also gonna abstain on want, though with only five slots left these two aren't exactly on my priority list. having no experience with either series and many characters I want to see more.

For both of these two, despite Min Min showing that spirit upgrades can happen, kinda like with Saki and Ray being spirits is the LEAST of this duo's concerns. Andy, the star of Advance Wars, more than likely frontruns his franchise in terms of chances, but hasn't had a game since 2008 on the DS, and while it was a decently successful franchise the runaway (but still not a household name, mind you) success of Fire Emblem post-Awakening (along with a few Advance Wars mechanics integrated into Fire Emblem via Three Houses) means that all eyes in Intelligent Systems are on said franchise and Advance Wars is slowly being forgotten. Thus I simply don't see the series being on Nintendo's radar, especially given how much Nintendo loves to shill its' older brother.

As for Ayumi, her position is even worse. Her prime was during the NES days, her only game after that being an obscure Satellaview game in 1997 that likely didn't have a wide audience. While there's always the possibility of the "What the ****" NES pick that we often see in Smash games, I don't see her being chosen as a standalone DLC character.

Both characters have a decent amount of fan demand but not an amount that majorly eyecatching.

Gonna give both characters a 1% chance score.

Nominations:
[Rerate] Prince of All Cosmos x5

Predictions:
Professor Layton - 20.28% - Like with Jibanyan, expecting a lot of decent scores due to Level-5's relationship with Nintendo, along with Layton not having the baggage of a declining franchise like Jibanyan did.

Steve - 42.64% - Steve remains a top contender for a second Microsoft spot, expecting a lot of good scores, especially given Nintendo and Microsoft's continuing good relationship.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Abstaining because we all know everyone will just give them the same rating or abstain, so it's not like it'll make a difference.

HOWEVER, tomorrow I will dig into them a little and give them an introduction, because I'm betting quite a few people here don't know or care about them much, which will most likely affect their ratings. I'll probably be doing this some more in the future for other unlikely characters, because we all know they're going to get abysmal ratings regardless.

I'll post my nominations and predictions for said introduction, so everything is all together (And in case I change my mind on abstaining from rating them).

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
abstain, nominate content from currently unreleased game x5

Prediction I'll say 20% for Layton and 33% for Steve

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Andy

Chance: 1% While Advance Wars being dead would usually make me put him on 0, there's a handful of whispers about remakes. Sure, they're probably fake and were made up by people who liked Wargroove and wanted to try and boost AW's popularity as seen with prior rumours, but I cannot give a 0 on this

Want: 0% I Did Not Enjoy my time with Advance Wars so it does nothing for me

Ayumi Tachibana

Chance: 0%. A truly never ever. While it's true Sakurai considered her and her game's getting a remake, there's one key detail here. No worldwide release. Sakurai needed convincing from playtesters to keep Marth and Roy in Western versions of Melee, he outright said he didn't know Mother 3 wasn't going to be localized and knowing that would have him scrap Lucas and he voiced concerns about Japan only characters with Takamaru, a character who was also highly considered who ended up getting his game released worldwide through 3DS VC and various cameos.

Want: Abstain, too unfamiliar for obvious reasons

Noms: SMT rep x5

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
ayumi
chances: 10% i dont see it happening. shes currently japan only, though there are those of us hoping the remake gets an international release, and sakurai has said in the past hes wary of including japan only characters as well as including japan only characters. not to mention the direction he wants to take the series in isnt good for the lesser known nintendo characters. especially those who are both retro and japan only.
want: 80% a rare case of a character id love to have in smash despite never having played their games. she be so different in terms of moves and a lot more fun than many other characters. i just think itd be kinda cool. its the closest id get to ashley mizuki robbins in smash.

andy
chances: 20% i think hes doomed. the series dormancy and the direction smash is heading in both are not good for advance wars. really the only shot i think hes got is if wars has an awakening style revival but as IS seems to be focusing all their efforts into fire emblem i doubt its gonna happen. while the series was active it had many games across many systems and in many ways was an ideal candidate for a smash character but if sakurai didnt bother then hes not gonna bother now.
want: 50% i may not have enjoyed what little ive played of advance wars but i still feel like it should have had a character. if you ask me its only bad luck that kept andy out of smash. i mean falcon is pretty much in the same position as him and we're never gonna see the back of him. as a die hard nintendo fan i kinda just want to add in more nintendo franchises and id be more welcoming of them than a fair amount of the 3rd party series. (you know who you are terry) honestly he would have a very interesting moveset and smacking people with wrenches would be funny. if ever there was a series that "deserves" a character in smash its wars.

nominate nate admas x5

Top Bottom