• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Elma time

Chance: 0%
Big fat zero. It'll either be Rex or a second XC1 character. They're not gonna go back for Elma.

Want: 30%
I'm totally indifferent but there are several characters I'd want more. Especially from first parties.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
how does disliking a character make me sexist? It is entirely about her character and nothing to do with the fact she’s female
If you don’t realize how misogynistic calling a woman a hag is, you are a lost cause. I thought I was clear with not testing my patience today.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
If you don’t realize how misogynistic calling a woman a hag is, you are a lost cause. I thought I was clear with not testing my patience today.
I ****ing apologised for that. Maybe don’t accuse me of being sexist just cause I don’t like someone who happens to be female.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Lara Croft

Chance: 48%
One of the most slept on characters in speculation. Lara is without a doubt one of the most well known video game characters of all time, she's up there with Mario in terms of characters recognizable to the mainstream. She's a western character but she's owned by Square Enix. Speaking of Square Enix, they themselves have recognized Tomb Raider as their third most important IP behind Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest, and if Smash has been covering SE from the top to the bottom then Lara makes perfect sense as the next character from SE. However it should be acknowledged that Lara faces tough competition from other IPs. You have Geno and Sora as fan favorites, you also have 2B from the modern breakout game Nier Automata, and there's also Bravely if Nintendo wants to advertise the upcoming Bravely Default 2.

If I have to rate it then it's probably gonna look like this:
Geno > Lara > Sora > Bravely > 2B > Everyone else

Yes I do think Geno slightly edges out Lara, but only slightly. Overall I think she's quite likely.

Want: 90%
Hell yeah I want her, she's the most recognizable and badass women in gaming. With her agility and dual pistols you can do so much. I'd love to see her happen out of everyone from SE.

Nomination: Monster Hunter x5
Expectation:
Jibanyan 13.6%
Agumon 12.4%

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Drop the whole sexism discussion, please. Posts have already been reported, so it seems best to leave it at that for now rather than dragging this out and making it worse.
can I at least reaffirm my apology? I don't think any believed the first one

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
I'll attempt this. Apologies for any incorrect formatting.

Angelina Jolie:
Chance: 40%

As many others have pointed out, Lara's definitely a sleeper pick. She's a gaming icon, and there's no denying that. While her initial design was questionable, to say the least, she deserves infinite credit for pioneering the concept of female video game protagonists alongside Samus. Lara's the star of a successful multimedia franchise which Square Enix has kept relevant for decades, helped establish the video game movie genre (with mixed results, I would argue, but she still helped blaze that trail), and is a character that manages to appeal to both western and eastern audiences, which few other potential newcomers can rightfully claim. As far as I'm concerned, Lara has unquestionably earned her place in Smash, and absolutely deserves a spot. Ironically, the company that made her a star is probably the biggest factor holding her back. Square has a notoriously weird history with Smash, and I'm not fully convinced that we're even getting another character from them on the second Fighter's Pass. And even if we are, Lara has stiff competition among other Square reps. Geno and Sora are far more highly-requested characters from Square, and I just can't see Lara being picked over either of them. Lara may be prominent to the industry at large, but she isn't nearly as popular within the Smash community, which I think may be her undoing.
Want: 60%
I'll be honest, I have zero experience with the Tomb Raider games. I have seen the movies, though, which is something, right...? I'm mostly neutral on Lara, though I do think she's got some unsung moveset potential based on what little of her gameplay I've seen. I appreciate her mostly in an academic sense though, alongside characters like Crash, who I acknowledge have the pedigree to be in this crossover even if I don't have an emotional attachment to them. I'd be happy to see her join, but if she isn't, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

Velma Dinkley:
Chance: 10%

Putting aside my personal love for her series, Elma is a longshot, for sure. Not only is she hardly a popular request in the Smash community (rarely scoring well at all on numerous polls), she faces competition from Rex, who is an undeniably more highly-anticipated newcomer among both eastern and western audiences. It doesn't help that Rex hails from a far more financially-successful game that isn't stuck on a dead console, or that Rex was planned for the base roster but was screwed due to timing, so he's got something of a sympathy factor fueling his support. Not to make this about Rex, but after Byleth and Min Min, it's not unreasonable to assume that the timing issue concerning 2017/2018 titles isn't an issue for this next Fighter's pass. But Byleth and Min Min didn't have a Mii costume. Why would Sakurai even include that if he were planning to add Rex at a later point? Rex is in such a weird spot, and absent his presence, Elma would be the next best rep for Xenoblade, unless they decided on another XC1 rep (Fiora or Melia, perhaps) to coincide with Definitive Edition. Maybe there's an enhanced port or sequel for Xenoblade X in the works that Elma could promote, since there aren't many Wii U games left to bring over, but that's just speculation. And all of this is assuming that we even get another Xenoblade rep at all. While I do think that it and Pokemon are the most likely series for first-party newcomers to hail from, for all we know, it could be only third-party picks from here on out. Of course, we also don't know when they committed to the second Fighter's pass, but the fact that Elma's best chances hinge upon another character not being added speaks volumes to her likelihood, as much as I like her.
I think you can tell by my pic that I'm a fan of Monolith, so I would be ecstatic to see Elma on this Fighter's Pass. I'm starved for new Xenoblade content in Smash, so I'll take whatever I can get at this point. She's got an incredible amount of moveset potential, since Xenoblade X has such a fun combat system. Between her dual-wielding weapons, to her Overdrive mechanic, to potentially involving her Skell in some way... The sky's the limit. The only reason she isn't at 100% for me is because, at the end of the day, Xenoblade X is my least favorite game in the series (marginally) and since I do have a slight preference for Rex and his title, I would rather have him as our next Xenoblade rep, though Elma would still be beyond hype for me.

Noms: Klonoa x5

warpenguin55

Smash Journeyman
I don't have the energy today. I'll probably start rating again soon, but for now Abstain

Noms: Hades x5

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Lara Croft

Chance - 20% - Lara is in a bit of a questionable situation. Her original rendition and her Square-enix reboot are two relatively different beasts, and the more modern take has alienated the older fans of the game. This makes her appearance in Smash somewhat complicated; Do you focus on the new stuff, or go classic? It's hard to say, especially when Square Enix has historically had complicated relationships with Smash. Given the competition in her own company to work with, she's not completely out given her pedigree, but she's no where near guaranteed.

Want - 45% - No connection to her, don't find her that interesting. I'd rather give the spot to someone I actually cared about.

Elma

Chance - 0% - Rex I think has eclipsed her chances so thoroughly, she's left in the dust. Her time is already up.

Want - 50% - As usual, I don't care for RPGs, and I'm not supper invested in the Xenoblade series. I'd want Rex just because of how it feels snubed, but right now I don't care about anyone else.

Nominations

Monster Hunter X5

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Lara Croft

Chance - 20% - Lara is in a bit of a questionable situation. Her original rendition and her Square-enix reboot are two relatively different beasts, and the more modern take has alienated the older fans of the game. This makes her appearance in Smash somewhat complicated; Do you focus on the new stuff, or go classic? It's hard to say, especially when Square Enix has historically had complicated relationships with Smash. Given the competition in her own company to work with, she's not completely out given her pedigree, but she's no where near guaranteed.

Want - 45% - No connection to her, don't find her that interesting. I'd rather give the spot to someone I actually cared about.

Elma

Chance - 0% - Rex I think has eclipsed her chances so thoroughly, she's left in the dust. Her time is already up.

Want - 50% - As usual, I don't care for RPGs, and I'm not supper invested in the Xenoblade series. I'd want Rex just because of how it feels snubed, but right now I don't care about anyone else.

Nominations

Monster Hunter X5
Most likely classic, if the Belmonts are anything to go by. Sakurai said that the dev team respects the original installments in an interview, referring to Mega Man and Simon. Plus, unlike someone like Doomguy, the moderns games have proven rather divisive, so Sakurai would be more inclined to stick to her classic design.

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Most likely classic, if the Belmonts are anything to go by. Sakurai said that the dev team respects the original installments in an interview, referring to Mega Man and Simon. Plus, unlike someone like Doomguy, the moderns games have proven rather divisive, so Sakurai would be more inclined to stick to her classic design.
What I am referring to is the old "Pac-Man had to be old school" comment from a while ago. Sakaurai said that if he was forced to use the more recent Ghostly Adventures design of Pac-Man, he wouldn't have been added at all.

Now, I know that recently in Brawlhalla they manged to use the classic rendition of the character, but Smash is in a different enough scope that I'm not 100% certain the comparison is apt. Given the rocky relationship between Square and Smash, it's not completely out of my mind that they could say that they would have to use the modern reboot design. If that were to happen, I can see Sakurai walking away from her.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
What I am referring to is the old "Pac-Man had to be old school" comment from a while ago. Sakaurai said that if he was forced to use the more recent Ghostly Adventures design of Pac-Man, he wouldn't have been added at all.

Now, I know that recently in Brawlhalla they manged to use the classic rendition of the character, but Smash is in a different enough scope that I'm not 100% certain the comparison is apt. Given the rocky relationship between Square and Smash, it's not completely out of my mind that they could say that they would have to use the modern reboot design. If that were to happen, I can see Sakurai walking away from her.
I think it's more likely they'd do like what they did with Cloud when they used his classic FFVII design as well as his Advent Children design as an alt. So far Square's characters aren't stingie when it comes to their character's alts as we can also see with Hero.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

I don't think SE's relationship with Smash is as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Final Fantasy is a tangled mass of legal cobwebs because everyone owns one little bit of it, and Nintendo only negotiates with the company. Dragon Quest, on the other hand, was completely fine up until the music, because Sugiyama is a stingy jerk. I don't think any other Squeenix IPs would have the same level of copyright kerfuffles, aside from maybe Kingdom Hearts, which is owned by Disney anyways.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Lara Croft:

Chance: 35%
Tomb Raider is undeniably one of the most important and iconic gaming franchises yet to see representation in Smash. Lara is a beloved and respected character, And the series is long running and still relevant. The biggest roadblock is Square Enix arguably having more viable candidates for Smash than any other 3rd party, making competition pretty fierce. There’s also the lack of appearances on Nintendo hardware, but Joker and Cloud prove that’s not a huge deal.

Want: 65%
Always down for major industry icons to join Smash, and Lara is absolutely an icon. I don’t have any attachment to her franchise, but I think she’s an obvious addition and would be really cool to see.
Honestly there’s just no reason she’d get chosen for DLC, the ship sailed and sank in the ocean 4 years ago. Even if XCX got the Definitive treatment, it wouldn’t mean anything for Smash at this point. She gets 2 points for the lack of X music but I really don’t think that means anything.
If we get a Xenoblade character it’ll be Rex. It sucks but that’s reality, baby.

Want: 50%
Elma is a badass. She was easily the most memorable character in the 20ish hours I spent playing XCX, and I was genuinely disappointed to find out she was passed over for Corrin (my least favorite Smash character). That said, there’s only 5 spots left in the roster, so while I would be happy to see her make it in, I think she would be bizarre and a little underwhelming as a DLC pick. I’d happily take her over any character from XC2 though.

Noms: Demi-fiend x5

Last edited:

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
I think it's more likely they'd do like what they did with Cloud when they used his classic FFVII design as well as his Advent Children design as an alt. So far Square's characters aren't stingie when it comes to their character's alts as we can also see with Hero.
I'm not certain how possible that can be. Classic Lara's iconic weapons are duel pistols, while modern Lara is more known for using a bow and arrows. This leaves the moveset in a bit of a pickle, as the two weapons are rather different. Do they focus on one or the other, try to balance them, etc.? Cloud at least still uses his Buster Sword in both.

I don't think SE's relationship with Smash is as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Final Fantasy is a tangled mass of legal cobwebs because everyone owns one little bit of it, and Nintendo only negotiates with the company. Dragon Quest, on the other hand, was completely fine up until the music, because Sugiyama is a stingy jerk. I don't think any other Squeenix IPs would have the same level of copyright kerfuffles, aside from maybe Kingdom Hearts, which is owned by Disney anyways.
I'm not 100% certain on Dragon Quest. Yes, they managed to get 4 characters in a single slot, but it came at the cost of then-most-recent XI's Hero, the Luminary, being the front-man instead of the classic and more iconic Erdrick, alongside being the main source for the design of their stage, Yggdrasil's Altar. While Yggdrasil is a reoccurring location in Dragon Quest games, the design is entirely based on XI, with Sakurai admitting that partway through developing the stage, due to difficulties designing everything he considered replacing it with the volcano dungeon, which would be Mount Huji, a dungeon that only appears in XI. Their clearly was a promotional edge to their inclusion, which may have had an effect on negotiations.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I'm not 100% certain on Dragon Quest. Yes, they managed to get 4 characters in a single slot, but it came at the cost of then-most-recent XI's Hero, the Luminary, being the front-man instead of the classic and more iconic Erdrick, alongside being the main source for the design of their stage, Yggdrasil's Altar. While Yggdrasil is a reoccurring location in Dragon Quest games, the design is entirely based on XI, with Sakurai admitting that partway through developing the stage, due to difficulties designing everything he considered replacing it with the volcano dungeon, which would be Mount Huji, a dungeon that only appears in XI. Their clearly was a promotional edge to their inclusion, which may have had an effect on negotiations.
The main difference between Tomb Raider and Dragon Quest us the fact that Tomb Raider's most recent installment doesn't have a definitive edition that's (Temporarily) exclusive to the Switch that Nintendo's trying to push.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I'm not certain how possible that can be. Classic Lara's iconic weapons are duel pistols, while modern Lara is more known for using a bow and arrows. This leaves the moveset in a bit of a pickle, as the two weapons are rather different. Do they focus on one or the other, try to balance them, etc.? Cloud at least still uses his Buster Sword in both.
Lara's sort of a utility character not too unlike that of Link where she'd more than likely use a variety of weapons. She would likely use her classic dual pistols with the possibility of having her bow as well as various other weapons. It's not exactly a problem since either weapon would more than likely be tied to just one input regardless. eg. Dual Pistols = side B; Bow = neutral B

Other characters use weapons from different iterations and in some cases from other characters within their series so its not a stretch in either case. The Belmonts and Ness/Lucas come to mind in this case. And they are more extreme examples compared to Lara.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Schedule question; What's the plan for day 499 now that we combined the gen 8 Pokemon day? Will we dip into the noms pool for that day before whatever is going on for 500 or will there be a replacement day added on that just hasn't been decided on?
I was kind of banking on the direct lol.
Day over, rate Jibanyan and Agumon, predict Tails and Eggman.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Some songs to get into the Yo-Kai Watch mood:

Some songs to get into the Digimon mood:

-----

Abstaining on both characters.

Tails chance prediction: 5.00%
Eggman chance prediction: 5.00%

Nominations:
Concept: A non-videogame character gets a Mii Costume x5

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Jibanyan

Chance: 5% -
It's honestly surprising that Level-5 doesn't have a rep yet. Both YO-KAI Watch and Professor Layton are Nintendo-exclusives that Nintendo themselves publish outside of Japan. Furthermore, the series was HUGE in 2014-2017 but in the end was a flash in the pan, compared to the not as big but more consistent Professor Layton. More than likely Jibanyan placed well on the ballot, and Nintedo even has several YO-KAI Watch characters on the Friends page of Play Nintendo. Clearly Nintendo sees the series as close, so why not add it?

Who not is because the series is past its' prime, and while it still has a small fanbase the craze died in Japan, and never took off overseas in the way Pokemon did. Furthermore, until recently the newer games weren't being localized at all. Nintendo more than likely has other series on the radar, and at this point likely has its' eyes on Professor Layton if they plan on a rep for Level-5. Honestly, it's a possibility at this point, but a low one.

Want: 20% - Not a character I'd be upset about or anything, but YO-KAI Watch hasn't really left a kind of legacy behind, and Jibanyan's design, while okay, isn't exactly topping my favorites list. Plus I didn't think the games were too interesting, and the toilet humor in the anime really turned me off from it. The one thing I will say is that I can thank the series for possibly inspiring the fun formula for Pokemon's Sun and Moon anime!

Agumon

Chance: 15% -
Digimon is one of Smash speculation's sleeper picks, more than likely due to the anime being way more well known than the games. Digimon's games have been doing pretty well lately and it managed to make a small legacy for itself despite the reign of Pokemon. Furthermore, he's owned by Namco so rights aren't an issue, and could even be chosen to represent the Bandai side of the company in the vain of Cloud (Square) and Hero (Enix).

Heihachi's deconfirmation raises all Namco boats, and Agumon is no exception. However, Namco remains an extremely competitive catagory. Namco pillar Tales of remains in the running, and even below that there are several series that compete with it on the same level like Dark Souls, Katamari, Soul Calibur, Idolm@ster, Taiko no Tatsujin, and more. Plus Namco seems to be averse to adding more of their characters for some reason, and with that you don't have the best conditions. Nonetheless, Lloyd still has his returning Mii Costume to worry about, and if Lloyd's costume comes with a character from another series, then it's a Namco free-for-all, and Agumon could very much grab that invitation!

Want: 10% - I do have a bit of history with Agumon and I do like the abilities he has that separate him from other Mon series. However, I have to unfortunately give him a low score, not because of him, but because of competition with my most wanted character, his Namco-Bandai buddy, The Prince of All Cosmos.

Nominations:
[Rerate] Prince of All Cosmos x5

Predictions:
Tails - 20.57% - Min Min breaking the spirit rule will definitely work in Tails' favor, and I'm expecting a lot of good scores for him. Though even if it was early, the existance of his Mii Costume still makes me a little hesitant to predict a higher number.
Eggman - 45.64% - Only has a spirit and has tons of content he could come with. Eggman would be easy to license and feels like a natural addition for FP2. So expecting a lot of good scores!

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Due to irl circumstances, I can not say on good faith I will be able to update the thread the next few days (likely not until Friday). While I do not wish to talk about it in the thread, given past statements I have made it can be inferred. I will be back likely by Thursday night, but if I am not I will keep you all posted.

Instead of telling you what happened, let me give you all some encouraging words. Treat your family with love and kindness, never take them for granted. Recognize when someone is hurting you or is past saving. Some families are found. Friends can do so much for you emotionally when you need them. Listen to people, you might be the person they need to talk to. Be kind to others, but have limits. But most of all, know your limits for what is healthy for you.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Jibanyan
I'll abstain on this one as I have no knowledge whatsoever on Yokai Watch.

Agumon
Chance:20%

Honestly I only want Agumon in because I'm a 90s kid. And I think the idea of Pokemon vs Digimon in Smash would be a cool novelty. I dont expect it to happen considering how much competition is already in play for Namco. But this is probably my second most wanted character from that company.

Nominations: Lora and Jin x5

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Jibanyan

Chance: 1% Yokai Watch has... Pretty much died. It was pretty big in Japan a while ago but I never see any discussions about it anymore, I never see toys for it in stores anymore, nothing. To make things worse, it failed to leave much of an impact in the west despite Nintendo pushing it a lot.

Want: 0% I have no interest in Yokai Watch at all, so naturally, I don't want to see it in Smash

Agumon

Chance: 5% Bamco's loooong overdue for a character and while Digimon may not seem as big as it used to be, it never really stopped being a thing as it still gets new games, new merch, new anime, etc to this day, with a new game on the horizon too.

Want: 60% I've been slowly getting in Digimon again and even though I didn't grow up with Agumon, I'd certainly appreciate the addition, though I lowered the score here because I know Sakurai wouldn't add Rumble Arena's Digivolution mechanic which would be perfect to me but would be making at least 2 characters

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I know we've past that day for awhile now, but Paper Mario just got a Spirit Event. Should we count that as a deconfirm, or have the rules changed since then?
I didn't do a big Disconfirmed post because there's the ambiguity in that technically it's not Paper Mario the character who got spirited, but rather the existence of the Spirit Event itself would seem to disconfirm him. It's a similar situation to Tom Nook, or any Pokemon from Sword and Shield. Either way, I don't think there's any restrictions any more about who can be nominated, so it's kind of a moot point. (If anyone wants to know PM's scores, they should be on the first page)

Though if you ask me, personally? Yeah, 100% disconfirmed, no doubt about it.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
digimon and yo-kai watch? must be my lucky day. also anyone who uses the term pokemon clone for either of them clear has no idea what theyre talking about

jibanyan
chances: 40% yo-kai watch was an incredible success in japan at first so i would think that would be enough. however with its impact declining a bit and the largely lukewarm reception over seas probably is not good for him. a tiny part of me cant help but wonder if he is the one theyd go for, sure he the mascot but how sure are we the mascot thing is iron clad? of course the rest of me is saying he is the one theyd go with. i think if level-5 is getting a character it would most likely be layton but i imagine we might get a jibanyan hat in that scenario.
want: 95% i duont know if ive mentioned this or not but i LOVE yo-kai watch. an ideal situation is that nyate would get in with jibanyan and whisper together but i dont think thats happening. honestly though i love jibanyan and would be extremely hyped to get him in smash. certainly a lot more than our last fire cat. stage, music, spirits id be dead hyped with all the stuff hed bring. though i may be one of the few.

agumon
chances: 10% agumon is in a weird postion where he debuted on a virtual pet but is bettern known for being an anime character. as far as we digimon fans are concerned that means hes a legit pick but we have no way of knowing if sakurai would think like that. even then im not sure hes particularly like amount namco bandi's huge library of characters. i never felt this was all that likely but at the same time i dont think its entirely impossible.
want: 90% i LOVE digimon but i still feel a bit weird about him being in smash. i would want him to bring only video game based moves, music, stage and spirits with anime stuff kept to an extreme low. but even after all these years i still love agumon and would be amazed to see him in smash. the only downside is that all the anime fans would think the doors were now open and wed have to go around explaining why they arent. i mean we have to do that anyway but still.

nominyate nyate adams x5

BlueEyedGrimmbat

Smash Apprentice
Abstain on both. I had barely any interest in Pokemon, I don't really care for either of these characters.

Noms: Amiya x5

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Just hit a cat with my truck going 80mph this year sucks so much
Chance: 2%
Jibanyan would've made more sense in the Smash 4 DLC period when it was sorta popular in Japan and Nintendo shoved it into every Direct around that time. You barely hear about it anymore nowadays however, or at least I don't. Sounds like they've pretty much given up on trying to turn YW into the next big thing, making them choosing Jibanyan for a Level 5 rep unlikely. Professor Layton wasn't as big as Yokai Watch at its peak but it does seem to have more staying power. YW in comparison feels more like Spirit event material to me.

Want: 0%
I have no interest here and would sooner pick up other Level 5 series like Layton or Inazuma. Yokai Watch just seemed like a fad to me that has little reason for getting a slot on the roster in current year.

Aggamon
Chance: 3%
While Digimon does seem to have more of a legacy compared to YW, I'd still say Agumon doesn't rank high on the Namco totem pole. Even with Heihachi out of the picture there are still numerous other series to compete with and I don't think Digimon can win out in the end. In the past I've also expressed concerns with a moveset for Agumon since I don't think he can do much on his own and that they'd probably have to tack on a Digivolve gimmick in there.

Want: Abstaining

Tails: 10.33%
Eggman: 12.71%
Deltarune content x5

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Digimon! Digital Monsters. Digimon Are The Champion!

Chance: 35%

This is a bit of a high score but let me explain. Digimon has been a little more popular recently. A big indicator of this being the good sales of the recent games, specifically World: Next Order. A big plus for Digimon is that it had built up a legacy for itself, despite always being in the shadows of Pokemon. It has been getting games since 1999, many of which are on Nintendo systems. Speaking of which, Bamco has been supporting the Switch by porting over some of the recent games and Digimon Survive is coming to the Switch as well. While Digimon was never a big success, it kept on getting supported by games, anime, manga, and other merchandise. I honestly think Agumon and Digimon in general gets slept on a lot, probably thanks to its reputation as a "Pokemon clone". It it a series that has changed with the times and has remained relevant and it does have an audience not just in Japan, but in the West too thanks the series getting more localized games recently.

Digimon's biggest weaknesses are that it's not a super popular or requested for Smash series, it struggled to get localized games for a while, and Lloyd, who is undoubtedly Bamco's frontrunner. When it comes to Bamco's other series, Dark Souls is bigger and Soul Calibur is roughly on the same level I want to say, though it's difficult to say since Digimon has made an audience outside of gamers.

Maybe it's me being hopeful, but I can see Digimon edging out and taking a spot. Especially if Lloyd gets his Mii costume back. I don't agree with the "Lloyd or bust" mentality. After all, history has shown time in and time again that bigger series don't always get in first.

Want: 100%

I LOVE Digimon. I grew up with the anime, specifically the first two shows. For me, it pushed the boundaries of how much a kids show can get so deep into its characters and it really touched me. I also grew up with the Rumble Arena games, very fun games that are good for messing around in. I also got Cyber Sleuth though I've only played a little bit of it. Agumon would also be really fun thanks to Digivolution which can make him more powerful and give him more powers and abilities. It's a dream for me to be able to see Digimon and Pokemon in the same game and to see the legendary battle of Agumon vs Pikachu. And maybe if Digimon got into Smash, people would give the series more of a chance instead of shrugging it off as a shameless ripoff. Because it's much more than that. It's a franchise with a lot of heart and filled with deep characters and interesting lore.

Jibanyan

Chance: 10%

Oh how the mighty have fallen. Yo Kai Watch was very popular in Japan but apparently it's not popular anymore? Huh. Interesting to see how things can be super popular then fall from grace just like that. It also doesn't help that Yo Kai Watch didn't make it big here in the West despite being pushed a lot. I do give Jibanyan a decent chance since the series was popular during the ballot era and Nintendo was very supportive of Yo Kai Watch. But if we do get a Level 5 rep, my bets are on Professor Layton who is still popular and also has a lot of Nintendo history. And yes, I could see Level 5 be one of the new companies in this pass due to their history with Nintendo.

Want: 5%

I was never interested in Yo Kai Watch. Jibanyan never appealed to me despite being cute. Plus I would much rather have Professor Layton and there are plenty of other third party characters I'm looking forward to more.

Predictions:
Tails - 6% (He will probably get overrated despite the DLC Mii costume)
Eggman - 11%

Noms: Ezio x5

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Ha ha dead cat goes ora ora on truck
Chance: 18%
Jinbanyan is also one of the characters that gets sleeped on in Smash speculation. At it's peak, Yo-Kai Watch was incredibly big, especialy in Japan. In fact, Jibanyan is very requested in Japan. And that's not taking into account how he's from Level-5, a company that has yet to get a character in Smash, and that would be either Jibanyan or Profesor Layton for that spot,and I feel like Jibanyan getting in over Layton is the more likely option. Also there's a new Yo-Kai Watch coming out soon that was anounced in the Japanese version of the SMT direct so there's that. Also the rumors of the creator of Yo-Kai Watch not wanting Jibanyan in a game where Pikachu is is ridiculous and doesn't even exist in the first place, same goes for the reverse.
Want: 50%
Jibanyan is alright. I have nothing against him or Yo-Kai Watch and he could be pretty cool to have in Smash, even if I have no strong feelings for him. But Jibanyan going ora ora on the roster while a truck runs over both in a final Smash would be very funny.

Digimon, digital monsters, you originate from video games, both literaly and figuratively
Chance: 15%
Agumon has the same as Chosen Undead in my opinion. Digimonas a whole and especialy Agumon are iconic and very well known, and also sleeped on in Smash speculation. After all, Digimon is still gtting new stuff, and Agumon could work very well as a fighter, I would even say that he's Bandai-Namco's second biggest character behind Pac-Man and over Heihachi. So why so low? Because I believe that Agumon has the same problem that Saber or Shirou from Fate have. Digimon is just so much more known as an anime, and unlike Pokemon, the game don't sell so well that both the anime and games coexist as a whole, even if Digimon started as some weird tamagochis thingy that still counts as a video game. Overall, my rating of Agumon ends up pretty iffy despite how he should be very solid otherwise.
Want: 75%
Digimon is good and Agumon would be very cool to have as a fighter, especialy if he can transform into Greymon and Wargreymon, he would just have an incredibly sick moveset if he can transform. So yeah, I'd like Agumon in Smash becuase he would be very cool.

Nominations: SMT rep x5

Predictions:
Tails: 19.4%
Eggman: 27.8%

Last edited:

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
NYAN GHOST CAT.

Chance: 5%

While Yokai Watch is still decently popular in Japan, its time of mainstream fame kinda came and went, and still wasn't added to Smash.

Beign obscure in the west kills most of its chances, though at least the series beign accessible makes it possible (Note to self: If i rerate Reimu im giving it a 1% chance) and while Layton is not that releveant anymore, i'll argue he makes more sense to include as Level 5's first rep. Despite DQ beign a gaming icon, it still had to wait a lot longer to get in Smash, and FF got in Smash before it, and i reckong beign mostly unpopular outside of Japan.

I'll recokn Layton also has the advantage of beign much more requested among Smash circles, seniority on his side (which is probably one reason why Jibanyan wasn't even considered in Smash 4, it was too recent) and so on. Yeah he doesn't appear in games as the main hero anymore, but if that didn't stopped Banjo did it?

Want: 0%

Yeah if we were to get a Level 5 rep, im fully on the Layton train, and i don't even like Puzzle games.

OOOOOOOHHH MYYYYYYYYYY LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE!

Chance: 1%

Can Digimon even be considered? the answer is yes. Digimon started as a virtual pet simulator, and that is considered a video game genre. So Digimon, while not the biggest Media franchise in the world, is still hella popular. Lots of games, over 7 animated shows, a ****ing film, many manga adaptations, etc. So why im rating Digimon so low if its seen as one of the few franchises that went toe-to-toe with Pokémon in its infancy?

2 words: Adapation Displacement. When a Derivative work becomes more popular than its source material. How many people associate Digimon with the anime and NOT the games? A lot.

It's probably the biggest reason the franchise has become popular (at least in the west), and that's a problem when you are trying to get what people now call a VIDEO GAME museum. It does not disqualify Agumon, but let's ask ourselves a question, in which circumstance would you add Agumon? Moveset potential? Timing like Joker? a Partnership between former rivals? The only reason i see Agumon (or any Digimon for that matter) getting in is if he gets major fan demand ala Mega Man, Banjo and K.Rool. and it's hard to do that when most people don't even see you as a game character, but as an anime character.

Yes, the Pokémon anime is undeniably had an influence on the game series and Smash (look at Pikachu, look at Mewtwo, hell Jigglypuff is in Smash BECAUSE of the anime) and it was the introduction to many people to the franchise, inlcuding myself. But here's a difference, it never overshadowed the games, it helped them. Pokémon Red and Blue are still some of the best selling Nintendo games out there, same goes for Gold and Silver, and those came out when the anime was in its apex! Digimon.....................i don't remember seeing Digimon games pulling out the big bucks after the anime. I guess there's Rumble Arena, but that's it.

To make matters worse, Digimon is owned by Namco Bandai, and thay also own Tales's Lloyd Irving, who i went on and on about how likely he is to be in Sma-aaaaaaaand Digmon's chances for Smash are deader than Leomon, again. (noticed how i made two anime references? just proves my point)

Want: 5%

Not gonna lie, i grew up watching Digimon Adventure, it's a show that still holds up in writing alone (the animation could have been a LOT better though) it also hepls i grew up in Chile and not USA, so i had the blessing to hear Butterfly and not that Horrid Digirap, ugh. So for this alone i would be kinda happy due to my attachment to the character, but i know it's wanting a character for the wrong reasons (at least in my opinon) and seeing how Pikachu is basically Ash's Pikachu, i guess Agumon beign basically Tai's Agumon (or Marcus/Masaru's Agumon) would not be too far behind. But if Hell Freezes over and we get ****ING BRAVE HEART, sign me the **** up.

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Jinbanyan

Chance: 10%. The popularity in Japan could help Jinbanyan get in, but chances are, if a Level 5 character gets in, it would be Layton. However, it is not impossible for Jinbanyan to get in this game.

Want: 50%. Jinbanyan would be a fun character to play as, and I can see it fight Pikachu in a fight. Overall, Jinbanyan would be a decent choice for a Smash Bros fighter

Agumon

Chance: 15%. Agumon’s chance of getting in is a bit higher, but I see Lloyd getting in before Agumon does. WIth that said, given how popular Digimon is, Agumon’s chance could increase a bit.

Want: 55%. Agumon would be a fun character to play as, and I can see Agumon fight Pikachu, Charizard and Bowser in a free for all. Overall, Agumon would be a fun choice and we get to see Agumon fight Pikachu to settle the score on what I see the best Mon franchise.

Predictions: Tails (20%) and Eggman (15%)

Noms: 5 for Echo: Olimar

Note: Updated to fix up any mistakes I made

Last edited:
Top Bottom