• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Brain

Chance - 0.05% - While it's an interesting curiosity, being the only 64 RPG, sadly the games never made it big. His parent company is mostly inactive in the world of video games, and even among historical characters there are many who are more famous and successful than him. I don't think he has much of a chance.

Want - 50% - Eh, RPGs are not really for me. I can understand the want, but he's not quite what I'm looking for. I think it might come down to move set here.

Nominations

Lip X5

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Day over.

Day #4 of our weekly ARMS ratings has now begun.

Day 1:
  • Spring Man
  • Ribbon Girl
  • Ninjara
(Link to this already completed day)

Day 2:
  • Min Min
  • Master Mummy
  • Mechanica

Day 3:
  • Twintelle
  • Byte & Barq
  • Kid Cobra

Day 4:
  • Helix
  • Max Brass
  • Misango
  • Concept: ARMS rep has different characters as alts
Day 5:
  • Dr. Coyle
  • Lola Pop
  • Springton
  • Concept: Brand New ARMS Character (not one of the 15 playable)

Day 4

So for today, rate the following 3 characters and 1 concept:
  • Helix
  • Max Brass
  • Misango
  • Concept: ARMS rep has different characters as alts
    • To clarify, this rating means that we get one single ARMS character (no echos or anything) and that at least one of their alt colors will be a separate character. Examples of this in Smash include how Alph is an alt of Olimar, Hero having 4 separate DQ Heroes to use, and how all of Bowser Jr.'s alts are the Koopalings. For this concept it doesn't matter how many alt characters the ARMS rep has: as long as there is more than one playable ARMS character via alt costumes, it counts.
Predict Gordon Freeman from the Half-Life series.

Because you are all rating 4 things today, everyone who participates and follows the rules will receive 10 nominations to use instead of the usual 5. Same goes for when we get to Day #5 of the ARMS ratings. Remember that for your ratings to count, you must give 2 sentences for chance AND want for each character. Of course you can choose to abstain on a character if you don't feel like rating them.

Today's rating will end on Sunday morning. Day #5 of ARMS ratings will occur after Gordon's day so be prepared. If for some reason you want day #5 to be a few days later, please say so and we might consider doing so.

Megadoomer Megadoomer

-----

Some songs to get in the mood for today's characters:

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
A Very Naughty Boy
Chance: 0.1%
I'm not sure why this would happen. The game wasn't very well liked even when it was released, plus the devs have basically stopped making games altogether, and his fanbase is nonexistent. There is no reason for Nintendo to put this character in Smash.
Want: 0%
We've gotten enough generic RPG dudes with the last few releases. If we were to get another one, I'd rather it be from a game that's actually good.

Helix: 15%
Brass: 20%
Misango: 3%
Alts: 35%
Noms: Upgraded Spirit x5

While it's an interesting curiosity, being the only 64 RPG
You forgot about Paper Mario.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
well ill have a go

helix
chances: 50% he strikes me as an one of the more likely characters, not most likely but a sort of outsider likeliness. i mean hes got a bit of popularity and he seemed to be fairly prominent in the game, though that could just be me. perhaps his stand outish nature would help with sakurais fun to play as thing.
want: 95% he would be amazing to play as he's one of my favourites. goopy and stretchy would be really something in smash so it would an extra level of uniqueness to the whole arms idea. honestly it just cause i like him.

max brass
chances: 50% hmm well he got a fair amount of popularity and is a prominent character. though i dont hes the most likely of the candidates but at the same time i wouldnt rule him out entirely. so like helix i feel hes just outside of being a top contender.
want: 80% he would be cool to play as not as cool as other but still cool. the whole puffing up thing would be a first for smash, the only other character ive pictured doing something similar was the arcade bunny. so not my top choice but id still very much enjoy smashing as him.

misango
chances: 40% he one of the ones i feel is less likely. not to prominent or popular from what i can tell. the spirit mechanic may help with sakurais whole fun to play as shtick but i wouldnt think it would be top of his list. so i think it probably not gonna be him but never say never.
want: 87% I actually quite like him so id love to play as him in smash. the spirit thing would add an extra layer of top of the great reach that any arms character will have. really hes just cool so hed be a bit higher up on my picks.

multi character alts:
chances: 90% I have no idea why everyone thinks this is so likely but i seem to think so as well. obviously there wont be as many as jr as hero was going to and he didnt. so if they did have that many itd be very strange as the team is supposed even smaller.
want: 0% i feel like we'd lose something if we did. sure some characters unique mechanics would be ones everyone in smash has but it still would feel right for them not to have the signature moves. im still annoyed by alph getting stuck as an alt and how jr was used to shoe horn in the koopalings. it kind of worked for hero but for the most part it dont think the whole other characters as alts is a goo thing

nominate nate adams x10

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
DNA

Chance: 15%

I could see this happening. He is one of the more popular, but not super popular, characters. He does represent the game better than other characters, though I'm not sure if his shape-shifting ability is an appropriate choice to represent the game, as the game is about stretching arms, not general body parts. Once again, I think other characters will take priority.

Want: 65%

He has a really cool design that I dig. His shape-shifting ability has a lot of potential with him maybe changing his size (and thus hitbox) by performing certain moves. Overall, there is some neat things they could do with his ability.

Brass Knuckles

Chance: 25%

He is the head of the tournament and a previous champion. So he is important to the game and is recognizable. From what I've seen, he is decently popular. If we do end up getting alternate characters, his taller than average height might be a problem but if they really wanted to include him, they will shrink him a bit to be appropriate as an alt (unless if his height is an important thing for his status as a champion or moveset). Again, I think other characters will take priority.

Want: 70%

It makes sense for him to be included with his importance to the story. His design is pretty cool and his abilities would make him a formidable foe and a character that makes you feel powerful.

Misango

Chance: 5%

He is probably one of the least popular characters. This wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the fact that there are just more recognizable characters that are more significant to the game. His chances are unlikely and I can't see him being picked over characters like Spring Man, Ribbon Girl or even Dr Coyle.

Want: 35%

His ability is really cool and would make him a super unique character. But other than that I'm not a big fan of his design and there are other characters I prefer.

ARMS alts

Chance: 50%

You all know by now that I think we will get 4 alts like Hero. This is a chance for me to explain this theory again. Usually I would say we will get Spring Man and thats it, but the fact that they made every ARMS character a possibility is interesting. If they were making just Spring Man a character, they wouldn't play this "Guess who" game when it would turn out to be the obvious choice after all. But Spring Man is the mascot of the series and the main character/mascot always gets in first. While this is fan rule and can be broken with the ARMS announcement, it has held up considerable and the fact that Spring Man is an assist trophy shouldn't stop him from being a playable character, as me and many other people have already argued.

But again it would be weird now if it was just Spring Man. So that brings me to my theory that we will get 3 characters alongside Spring Man. Not only that, but each alt will have some unique moves and animations to make it so that each character will get represented more correctly. Or they could just combine abilities into one character which ins't unheard of despite not being fully faithful to the game. Plus, there are many recognizable and popular characters in ARMS. Ribbon Girl, Ninjara, Min Min, Twintelle, Dr Coyle, Mass Brass, etc. It just makes sense that they would try to include multiple characters. After all, the characters themselves are a big part of the game.

Want: 50%

After thinking about it, I'm not sure about this. On one hand, it would get more fan favorites in the game. On the other hand, it's risky because if all the alts ended up with the same moveset, it would not be a good representative of the characters. Best case scenario if the alts had unique moves to activate their unique abilities.

Prediction: Gordon Freeman - 12%

Noms: The Boss x10 (from Saints Row, not to be confused with the character of the same name from MGS)

Edit: Changed my Alts Want score

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Helix
Chance: 20%

I've seen people suggest him as a WTF character, but...that's it. Not much popularity beyond that.

I'm not the best at ARMS, but Helix is my least favorite to play as. His ARMS take way too long to come back and his stretch gimmick leaves him an open target.

Max Brass

He's definitely one of the most prominent characters in the game. Final boss? Check. Mascot of his own Grand Prix? Check.

Spring Man's ability + super armor? Check. I may not want him as badly as Min Min, but he'd be very fun to play.

Discount Star Platinum
Double zeroes. He was fun to play, but not very memorable beyond that. And I think even Sakurai might realize this.

Oh, God, here we go...ARMS × Hero

I would give double zeroes beyond I hate this concept so much, but I won't. I gave it a 20 in the event this somehow DOES happen.

Want: 0% (Or, more accurately, -179%)
This wouldn't do the character justice at all. Along with very few having similar body shapes, literally every character (even Springtron) has something to differentiate them (Sping Man's low-health boost, Min Min's party kicks, Helix's aforementioned stretching, etc.). Take that away from them, and people who never played ARMS (who most likely came up with this concept to begin with) wouldn't even know they existed.

Gordon Freeman: 0%

Noms: Xion as Sora's Echo Fighter ×5
Sakura Shinguji ×5

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
4th ARMS day, 4 more ARMS characters to rate

This is the thing from that Robin Williams movie, right?

Chance: 40%
Real talk, I think Helix is mega slept on. If spirits and assists do deconfirm, I'd say he's one of the frontrunners. He's definitely one of the more popular characters among the ARMS cast and he's got a fair amount of notoriety in the game itself. The only real things holding back in my opinion are wackiness and priority. With his gelatinous body, he may be a little too out there to represent ARMS as a whole. As for priority, if spirits and assists are back on the table then he's most certainly out classed

Want: 90%
Min Min aside, Helix is my most wanted amongst the ARMS cast. I love pretty muh everything about him. I love his random screaming, his crazy animations, the whole nine yards

Johnny Bravo

Max Brass is the token boss of ARMS and as such, really prominent in the game's plot. He's considered the ARMS champion and everything. Like Helix, if assists and spirits are out, then I'd say Max Brass is one of our front runners. Though once again, there's no guarantee on base game stuff being out of the running in the first place

Want: 55%
He's cool. Not one of my first picks for an ARMS rep, but at the same time, you could go with a whole lot worse. Such as:

Keep forgetting this dude's even in the game

Chance: 1%
Misango's probably the least likely amongst the entire ARMS cast bar none. He isn't that popular, he may be too out there in terms of gimmicks with his spirit friend and what not, and him being a post launch character really doesn't help things.

Want: 1%
Misango is just such a ho-hum and forgetable character for me. For a game with wacky and out there characters, Misango is just... there. I'd much rather we get one of the more endearing characters over uh... this guy...

ComglARMerate

I do think this a pretty plausible possibility. The way they announced the ARMS rep with all the 15 characters on the screen at once does make me think something's up. At the same time, it does feel a bit... unSakurai... He went out of his way to make the likes of Dark Pit and Richter echoes rather than alts, so for him to take these seemingly unique characters and force into one slot would be a bit... odd... idk only time will tell

Imma go straight down the middle here. I've always been cool with this concept more than most. One of ARMS' biggest strengths is it's characters, so it would be nice to somehow get more than one in. I understand the main complaint of each character being unique and stuff, but at the same time there's only so much stuff you can work with for a single ARMS character. All you really got is left punch, right punch, grab, shield, dash, a special gimmick here and there, and a super, that's it. A conglomerate can really help flesh things out. Besides the ARMS themselves are likely to be the main star of the show, and wouldn't you know it? ARMS can be swapped amongst the characters. Now what would really make it or break it for me is who's amongst the pack. if it's just Spring Man and Ribbon, I sleep. But if it's like Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Ninjara and Min Min? HECK YA! SIGN ME UP!

Predictions: Gordon Freeman: 2%

Nominations: Steve (rerate) x10

Last edited:

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Helix
10%
He is another side character that isn’t one of the most popular ones. I don’t think there’s a high chance Nintendo picked him. I’d believe them, though, if they claimed he was chosen on account of his weirdness.
95%
ARMS is a game about characters with abnormally long arms, Helix works very well in representing that. He isn’t designed to be taken seriously, he’s just a jello man. His design sets the tone of the game nicely. I also appreciate the fact that his playstyle is about stretching in all directions, something I’m actually curious to see done in Smash. This is the first character I’d be more than okay with!

Max Brass
Chance: 10%
Maybe if they thought he looked cool? He wasn’t the most popular character nor is he the face of the franchise, and he only recently started gaining some traction within the community. I don’t think there’s much in his favor aside from not being a PNG in the game. Personally, I think it’s more likely Nintendo had higher priorities than that when they chose the DLC.
Want: 30%
Same as most of the ARMS cast. I’m not crazy about him, but it’s fine enough that the franchise is being represented in the roster at all. I would put him slightly above most of the others because of his personality.

Misango
Same story as the other side characters. Nothing much in his favor, not most-popular, and not the face of the franchise. Maybe they thought his boost mechanic worked better than the others, but I highly doubt that happened.
Want: 20%
Same old, same old, not my biggest want, I’d be fine with him anyway. He doesn’t offer much I’m interested in. I would prefer a few other characters.

The Alt Costumes idea
Multi-character alts are few and far between in Smash. I personally believe they’re only ever used in all-or-nothing newcomer scenarios. Like, the Koopalings can’t just be left out, so they have to be added to Bowser Jr., but they’re all different sizes, so the Koopa Clown Car . Even Hero really pushes the limits of what could be done in Smash when it comes to alt costumes (they had to completely ignore 3 protagonists, then still had to limit it to 4 unique models.) There’s already many arguments as to why it couldn’t be done with already-existing similar characters like the 2 small Links, the Pikachu line, the Mario twins, Villager and Isabelle. And most of the same reasons ring true for why it’d be difficult to do with the ARMS cast. I will acknowledge that nothing is impossible, they could make it work, but I have a hard time believing it.
Want: 5%
I don’t think ARMS needs mutli-character alts. It’s a simple fighting game with lots of different weapons to choose from and a large cast of characters. The game doesn’t span multiple generations like Dragon Quest, and the cast doesn’t carry history as a recurring line of boss battles in their franchise like the Koopalings. It just needs one character picked by Nintendo, the songs, spirits, and stage that comes with it, and I’d say that’s good enough representation in Smash for now.

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Helix, Mass Brass and Misango

Chance: 15%. There is possibilities of the three to get in, but I don't know who will be chosen of the three, let alone the other arms characters. But I'm sure Spring-Man and Min-Min or more likely to be the Arms reps then them, but despite that, it's not impossible for them to get in.

Want: 50%. They seem like fun characters to play as. And if they got in the game, it would be surprising, but who is the one that I prefer of the three? Honestly, I don't know, because as long as they are fun to play as, because that is more important then significance.

Arms Alts

Chance: 5%. I don't know if that will happen. Chances are, it would be one character getting in, and most of the rest would become spirits or at the very least Mii costumes. They could have costumes based on them, but otherwise this would most likely not get in.

Want: 45%. I don't really support the idea of that, especially since the arms reps have different moves that would help represent the franchise as a whole. I know this may be a shocker, but I prefer the Arms reps would be separate characters instead of alternate costumes.

Prediction: Gordon (10%)

Noms: 3 for Rival Pokémon Trainer and 2 for Concept: Pokeball Pokémon promotion

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Hierophant Green

Chance: 0.5%
Helix just really doesn't have much going for him, sadly. He's not super popular, nor is he used commonly in the game's marketing. He does have a unique gimmick in that he can stretch himself out just for you and turn himself into a puddle, but that's a double-edged sword. Not only would it potentially lock him out of becoming an alt, but having such an unique gimmick could potentially detract from the uniqueness of having stretchy arms (which seems to be centre-stage for whoever the ARMS character is).

Eh, why not? He's not my preferred ARMS character, but he is Nickelodeon Slime taking a human form. He's a fun enough character. I wouldn't be upset to see him.

The World

Chance: 4%
There's two big arguments for Max Brass' inclusion, neither of which I really agree with. First, many people cite his importance in the game's plot as the final opponent in Grand Prix, the commissioner of the ARMS League, and the champion at the start of the game. However, Smash has never really added characters based on who's the most important in the series lore, otherwise we would've gotten Edelgard or Rhea over Byleth. Second, many claim he's the forerunner if spirits/assist trophies aren't for promotions. I'm a little bit skeptical of that claim, but even it's true, I still don't think that makes Max Brass particularly likely. It would be strange for Sakurai to deliberately avoid spirits when so many other fighting games have upgraded base game NPCs in the past.

Similar story to Helix. Never been huge on Max Brass as a character, but he's still pretty cool. Seeing another bodacious bruiser to go with Incineroar could be a lot of fun. Not my first choice, but wouldn't be upset to see him.

Star Platinum

Chance: 0.2%
A lot of what I said about Helix's chances applies to Misango. He's not popular or common in the game's advertising, but he does have a unique ability. His body type is standard enough to be part of an alt set, but his spirit companion would likely lock him out of that. He also has the disadvantage of not being in ARMS' base roster.

Want: 75%
I really like his design (for somewhat self-evident reasons from this post). He's also my second go-to for ARMS other than Ninjara. However, it feels kinda tough to route for him giving how unlikely he seems to be. There's being an underdog and there's being a no-hoper, and unfortunately Misango seems to be the second category.

Insert JoJo Reference for multiple alts here

Chance: 80%
30% for just Spring Man and Ribbon Girl, 45% for Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Ninjara, and Min Min, and an extra 5% for any possible curveballs.

With somewhere between a quarter and a third of the roster having an alternate costume, Smash Ultimate likes giving its characters fun hats to wear. And why wouldn't it? It's easy fan service that leaves a lot of people happy. The alt treatment could work well for ARMS, giving fans of multiple characters an opportunity to join the battle when one wouldn't otherwise be available. It would also make sense for the ARMS announcement to play up who the character is in its announcement, when the individual identities of the characters play a big role in the pack's appeal.

Regarding the feasibility of having multiple ARMS characters in one slot, I'm going to repost what I put awhile ago in the Newcomer Speculation thread:
"Unlike the Heroes, the ARMS characters have unique identities and abilities. Combining them is like putting Ryu, Akuma, Sakura, and Dan into the same slot."
Woo boy. A lot to unpack here, and all of it is wrong.

First off, the Heroes do have unique abilities in their source material that aren't translated to Smash. Eight lost the ability to use spears and boomerangs, Solo lost his knives, bows, and axes, Erdrick lost his whips, and Eleven lost his two-handed greatswords. Likewise, they gained previously only usable by one other hero (Eight is the only one of the heroes to use Psyche Up in Dragon Quest) and were never usable by any of them (no Dragon Quest hero can use the Woosh series of spells in game). What makes these characters work within a single moveset is their lowest common denominator: they all use swords, shields, and some of the same magic. As such, losing some abilities and gaining others isn't a huge deal, because their general outline is consistent with their most primary abilities in Dragon Quest.

Similarly, Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Ninjara, and Min Min also have a lowest common denominator: relatively balanced stats, a similar build, and punching/grabbing with long stretchy arms. These are the key elements that make these four unique relative to other characters in both inside and outside of ARMS. As such, these characters feel like themselves when they display these abilities. Do these four have unique attributes from each other they could capitalize on in a Smash appearance? Of course, but these are tertiary abilities that could realistically be sacrificed or distributed to all four to flesh out their moveset, similar to the unique aspects of the heroes.

The shotos, by comparison, are a bad example because they don't have this common denominator. While they all share the hadoken, shoryuken, and tatsumaki, the way these abilities function are drastically different. Akuma has dark hadokens that he can fire in the air, Sakura has shorter hadokens that she can charge and send at an angle, and Dan has weak hadokens that are fired with one hand. The Dragon Quest heroes, by comparison, use a similar style of swordplay and have a good number of overlapping spells (the frizz family, the zap family, the snooze family, the heal family, etc). The ARMS characters are in a similar boat. They mostly throw standards jabs that they can then curve to hit opponents. Assuming they're using the same family of ARMS, Spring Man punching someone is not that different from Ribbon Girl punching someone.

TL;DR: The Heroes are unique but have a common abilities that let them share a spot. This is similar to Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Ninjara, and Min Min, but not the Shotos.
Want: 100%
The more the merrier, as far as I'm concerned. It was extremely cool finding out about Bowser Jr. and Hero's alts, so I'd be extremely happy if that same thing happening with the ARMS character. I understand a few people are somewhat dismissive of the idea because it would dilute the personalities of the individual characters. That may be true, but Sakurai could still give the alts a little more character using subtle means. If Byleth can have different idle stances, taunts, and win screens for his male and female variant, surely the same could be done for whoever is included in the ARMS pack.

Last edited:

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
Usual disclaimer, my ratings for ARMS characters all tally up to 100%, blah blah blah. BUT that excludes the concept of ALTS.

-
Helix

Chance: 2%
Definitely one of the most original characters in ARMS, he's also occasionally used in marketing and such. This already puts him above characters like Byte & Barq or Misango... but more on him later. That said, he's still not one of the faces most associated with ARMS, so I'm not really sure why he'd be the first ever playable ARMS rep.

Want: 4%
Concept is fine, design is nice. That said, there are other candidates I'd rather have in ARMS. Yes this is almost a purely subjective want rating, but aren't all want scores?

-
Max Brass

Chance: 4%
One of the more recognisable faces in the runner-up group, Max Brass also boasts some popularity. Like Spring Man, his character is also designed to basically be the quintessence of ARMS. In several regards, he could actually fit pretty nicely. That said, Spring Man is already in as an AT. Double dipping on the quintessence of ARMS doesn't sound like the best of ideas. And while one of the more popular ones, the truly popular ones are so far ahead they leave him in the dust that had the time to settle. If you look at all the clamours surrounding the future ARMS rep, the names appearing the most are Spring Man, Min Min, Twintelle, Ribbon Girl and then - and only then - Ninjara, Dr Coyle or Max Brass. If Nintendo decides "who cares about spirits", Max Brass joins everyone else in the "no dice" club. Otherwise, he'd definitely be one of the likeliest.

This entire wall of text for such a low want score? Yup. It boils down to this: Spring Man as an AT already incarnates the quintessence of ARMS in Smash. I'd rather see something different now to cover more bases. But like I said in a previous rating, not something completely different either. Both extremes would be bad. The likes of Min Min or Twintelle are perfect to introduce new players to the concept of "gimmicks" each ARMS fighter has. There's more than just punching from afar, and I'm afraid Max Brass fails to convey this well enough. Not to mention activatable super armour sounds pretty toxic...

-
Misango

When you think of ARMS, you think of Spring Man etc. Then you have the characters you forget even exist. That's Misango in a nutshell. Giving him 1% because never say never when we know for certain an ARMS fighter is coming, but under normal circumstances that'd have been an instant 0.

Can I just say he doesn't appeal to me? Not that I dislike native american inspired characters, but this guy screams "I'm a generic native american" to me... with ARMS! Ooh the twist. And the pun. Besides, the mask system seems a bit too convoluted for a first playable ARMS rep.

-
Concept: ARMS rep has different characters as alts

I don't see it as likely. ARMS isn't a 3rd party franchise like Dragon Quest so if Nintendo wants to bet on its success for a sequel, there'd be little point in giving the playerbase the most popular picks now. They'd need to keep us wanting for more, asking for more. That's one of the ways you create demand. Another reason is that ARMS fighers all have their own gimmicks. That's a vital part to their character. The Koopalings can be said to have their own particularities too, but those usually change to give players a different boss fight every time. Just like how every time you fight Bowser is different from his previous incarnations. It's more of a wish to "complete" ARMS representation in Smash and be done with it, in a way. So no, I don't see it happening.

Kinda too lazy to think of another want score, and it represents my mindset decently well too. I wouldn't be against it, but I most definitely would rather have ARMS fighers be unique than a mixed bag when any of them can fit in, therefore no one is truly that "fighter".

-
Predictions: Gordon Freeman - 16%
Nominations: D.Va x10

warpenguin55

Smash Journeyman
Abstain. I don't have anything to say about ARMS characters not named Spring Man and Ribbon Girl and I don't care who the rep is.

Noms: Alex Mason x5, Rocket League Car x5

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Just to clarify, I have the same opinion for Helix, Max Brass, and Misango. If I group them together, will I need six sentences for chance and want?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Just to clarify, I have the same opinion for Helix, Max Brass, and Misango. If I group them together, will I need six sentences for chance and want?
Yes. They need to be rated separately. No grouping together if you want all 10 noms.

That said, here's my end;

Abstain on Misango and Helix.

Max Brass:
Chance: 40%. He's an important character to the game, only slightly lower than Dr. Coyle herself. He's effectively a previous protagonist as well. If Dr. Coyle and neither Mascot are available, he's got a pretty strong chance.

Want: 1%. I'd prefer Spring Man/Ribbon Girl as a combo the most or Dr. Coyle, but I don't deny it'd be neat to see him too. He's got a cool design.

Character Alts:
Chance: 50%. It's an awkward number, but I see it as plausible. Mostly with a combination of Ribbon Girl, Spring Man, and Springtron. Thinking on it, I could see Min Min too as anybody can logically use the Dragon ARM and she can use any other ARM as well. It's iconic to her, but not enough that only she can use it. Ninjara possibly, but I'm less sure. I get the personalization bit, and while they do cut personality sometimes(Pikmin & Captain, definitely the alts of Bowser Jr. has less personality), they were also not terribly different people either way nor were they given different personalities either enough to be worked in. It could easily work animation-wise too, and some taunts/etc. can be different with the same hitbox. The issue isn't the fact they're using another character's moves in itself, since many moves are super easy to interchange. Multiple jumps is literally something every Smash character does and Spring Man having more than 2 wouldn't even be awkward. Nor would the comeback mechanic on another ARMS character. Some moves are easy to work into others, and some aren't. It's not a zero-sum game in that way.

Want: Abstain. Truth be told, it doesn't bother me either way.

Noms: Fulgore x 2, Concept: Spirit Promotion x 3

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
DNA-MAN
Chance: 8%
One of the quirkiest on the Arms roster and with decent popularity to boot, Helix could be a dark horse pick. Still, I don't feel it will be him. I feel he's only possible as a solo character as his goopiness just doesn't work as an alt. And I think he'd still lose priority to the more popular characters.

Nah. Once again, I want somebody from the Spirit crowd. Besides that, I didn't really use him as his stretch and crouch gimmick were a bit too awkward for me.

Solid Max Brass
Assuming they'd avoid the Spirited characters like the plague Max would probably be the frontrunner, being one of the most significant characters lore wise and even appearing on the title screen tmk. He's also pretty straightforward compared to the rest of the cast since super armor definitely isn't new to Smash, tho I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing. Could maybe work as an alt as well but he might have a too large frame for that.

Want: 2.5%
Neat design and I definitely get the appeal but if he's a solo character then no thanks. Never really tried him out (just realising I gave over half of the Arms cast the cold shoulder) and he would basically confirm the Spirited being completely ignored for the pass if it was just him.

Missingno
Almost nobody seems to give a rat's *** about this guy. His whole spirit buddy shtick also sounds a bit overly complex and I think they'd go for someone more simple. A Bowser Jr situation is his only hope as his proportions are pretty normal but with how unpopular he is it probably wouldn't be a guarantee.

Not a Spirit yadda yadda. Broken record aside, I am amongst the people who don't care for him and his spirit fuse mechanic sounds like too much of a hassle.

Every arm is here
Chance: 57.5%
There are many scenarios that can play out this June but I can definitely see Nintendo revealing that there will be multiple characters instead of an individual. They wanted us to take a look at fifteen colorfull characters, would be a bit of a shame if only one were allowed to join. Perhaps the reason they've been teasing this as the "character from Arms" is because the finalised 'character' will also be called as it would be less of a mouthful than calling them "Springman+Ribbongirl+Ninjara+Minmin". The main focus will be on those arms and any character can eventually equip any arms in the game tmk so I don't think they wouldn't want to pull a Hero situation. The Smash team has shown to be willing to strip away the uniqueness of a character for the sake of making them playable such as which Dark Samus. I can definitely imagine them having Ribbon Girl kick like Min Min or having Springman dash like Ninjara

Want: 95%
I get that there are things that make these characters unique and that making them alts of eachother probably doesn't give the best representation of them but as long as more people will be happy playing their favourite Arms character that'll be what matters. It would also give more room for Spirited characters and possibly Kid Cobra along with them, in that case it would be a win win situation for me.

Gordon Freeman: 10.33%
Captain Toad x9
Dr Eggman x1

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Alright. Gotta do this the old-fashioned way.

Helix
Chance: 0%
Helix is barely important to the lore of ARMS, so I don't see how that helps. Plus, since when was he popular with fans? That's news to me.
Sorry, but he doesn't really click with me. I'm sure there are other characters who can do his gimmick better.

Max Brass
I'm only giving him this because he's the final boss of the game. Even then, why would they add him before the main character?
Again, doesn't click with me. I've been told he plays a lot like Spring Man, but if that's the case, wouldn't it make more sense to add Spring Man?

Misango
Chance: 0%
What even is this guy's role in the game? As far as I'm aware, he was sorta just... added for no discernable reason.
Once again, doesn't click with me. I guess this would be the closest we'd get to a JoJo character in Smash, but that isn't enough for me.

Concept: ARMS character alts
Depends on who the character is. If it's Spring Man, for example, you can easily have Ribbon Girl, Ninjara, and Min Min as alts. If it's not, however, then this probably won't happen.
Want: 75%
I mean, people want more character alts, don't they? This could help with that desire AND incorporate more characters than they probably could otherwise. It's a win-win, if you ask me.

Nominations: [Rerate] Rex x10

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Helix, Max Brass, Misango

Chance for Helix and Misango: 1%
Neither of them really has anything that makes them stand out among the ARMS cast to be honest. They don't have extra story importance like Brass or Coyle, they aren't the mascots like Spring Man or Ribbon Girl, and they aren't the overwhelmingly popular ones like Min-Min or Twintelle. There's also the fact that they would be unlikely as both individual fighters or part of a multiple alts fighter. For individual fighters, they're too gimmicky to represent the game as a whole and their body types are too different to be fused in an alt.

Chance for Max Brass: 20%
I'll give him a slightly higher score due to him being the in universe mascot. Aside from that, the only reason I'd see him being picked is if spirits do deconfirm, which I don't really see happening.

Want for Helix, Misango, Max Brass: Abstain

Multiple Fighters

Chance: 85%
I'd say that if there was an individual fighter, they would have revealed it like Terry, who they didn't have a full trailer for initially but they chose to reveal anyway. Even Joker and Mewtwo can also be applied to this, they didn't have gameplay but they revealed the character anyway. Why keep us in suspense? Also, if Ultimate really is the magnum opus of Smash, I don't see why they wouldn't want to put more than one fighter in the game, to try to represent the ARMS characters as much as possible and make the most people happy.

Want: 100%
Like I said before, having multiple characters serves the purpose of pleasing the most people at once. With an individual character, you end up disappointing 14 other character's fanbases (even if some are larger than others). Obviously they can't put all the characters in the game, but I'd rather see 2, 4, or 8 character's fanbases happy than just 1.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
So I'm guess in the minority here? Could've sworn Helix was among the more popular characters in the cast...

Last edited:

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Helix
He's pretty popular among Arms character, and Sakurai could like him enough to choose him as the Arms rep, I think.
Want: 10%
I don't really care about him, but he's kinda funny

Max Brass
Arguably the most important Arms character in lore, and he would represent the series pretty well.
Max Brass is an absolute chad, the Captain Falcon of Arms, and I like him for benig so over the top and ridiculous.

Misange
Let's be real, it's not him.
He looks kinda funny, I guess.

Arms with alt
The Arms character are too different from each others to be alts. It's not an Hero situation, since DQ Heroes are blank state so that you can self insert yourself. The characters in Arms are not that, the only character that would really work as an alt is Springtron if Springman is playable, because he's robot Springman.
I don't like this idea. Like, not at all.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Abstain
Nominations: Shuichi Saihara x5, Neku Sakuraba [RERATE] x5

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Wacky Jello Man

Helix never really got all that much advertisement in the game proper, but he's a base game character with a tiny amount of plot relevance (the enemies you fight in 1-vs-100 and similar modes are all prototype Helixes, thush meaning that our boy in green is the completed version), so I'd say he at least has SOME shot.

Want: 10%
Meh. Helix is cool and his stretchy body could make for a fun mechanic in Smash, but I feel like there are better options.

The Commish

As I'm sure many have mentioned, Max Brass is pretty important to the story of ARMS, what with being the final boss of the arcade mode route (on lower difficulties but still), along with being the reason the ARMS tourney even exists. While he's not exactly protag level of importance, his position in the Greater ARMS Hierarchy cannot be ignored.

I mean, he's cooler than Helix. But when you get down to it, his ability is really just a fusion of Min Min's and Spring Man's, with a bit of super armor thrown in there. Plus, he's a heavyweight. And I don't really care for heavyweights.

Beneath The Mask

Misango has the unfortunate drawback of being a post-game character, and one that's not even heavily advertised at that. Misango was announced, he got added to the game, and that was all she wrote. As far as I know, he hasn't even had any notes from Dr. Coyle to further develop his lore like most other characters got. He's a cool character, to be sure, but I don't think the ARMS devs have their eyes on him.

Want: 20%
Not my first choice for an ARMS rep, but I can't deny his stance changing with his different masks would be sick as hell to see in Smash. We need more stance changing characters in this game.

ARMS Squad! Team, unite up!

Once again, never say never, but I just can't see 'em doing this. It made sense for Hero and Bowser Jr., since those characters all have pretty similar abilities. The Koopalings just gotta sit there and look pretty in their Clown Cars, and every Dragon Quest hero is capable of swinging a sword and using magic. But each ARMS character has their own unique ability that we'd likely miss out on if they were all skins for each other. The ARMS themselves wouldn't be a problem, considering every character can wield every glove in the game given enough time, but I wouldn't want to miss out on Min Min's dragon arm and flip kick, or Ribbon Girl's multiple jumps, just for the sake of having more than one character in the game.

See above.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Goop

I think there is a strong possibility that we get Helix. He was hella marketed by Nintendo and he's really popular - not like Twintelle popular, but still. Though I'm docking him some points because I'm not sure he might break that barrier of not properly conveying the idea of ARMS. Obviously he can't be an alt so solo's his only shot.

Want: 95%
This right here? Peak character design.

Steroids
Max Brass is the OG final boss man, the organizer of the ARMS tournament, and the reigning champion. Sure, story importance tends not to matter when picking characters, but that's because they usually pick the main character and call it a day. If basegame characters are not allowed for whatever reason, we need to look at those kinds of credentials and Brass' ain't bad. He's even pretty good at being a no-frills bona fide ARMS character, no confusion there. Not overly gimmicky either. But still, I think if they were looking for a non-AT non-Mii non-Spirit, they'd go with Dr. Coyle. And he's too big to be an alt.

Want: 80%
I mean he's cool but I didn't find him very memorable.

Misanthropy

Nobody likes Misango. He's easily the least popular ARMS character, he doesn't have any important lore connections, he's too gimmicky to get in Smash, I just don't see any reason for him to get in over any of the other characters. Oh yeah and he can't be an alt because that would neuter the only unique thing about him.

**** Misango. Playing as him is boring, his mechanic is way too complex and I never got the hang of it. And playing against him sucks too.

The arm is a brave extremity

At this point it happens or it doesn't. Whether Nintendo chooses to prioritize each individual character's uniqueness or to add as many as they can, they're two different kinds of fanservice. I dunno. It certainly can be done with the right group of characters. Will some be upset? Sure, comes with the territory. Will it be a poor representation of (some of) the characters? Maybe. Doesn't have to be, but it might. But how the result turns out doesn't matter when determining chance, all that matters is if they'd give it a try in the first place. And I think they could. The oft-mentioned group of Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Min Min and Ninjara is a pretty solid choice, I mean, Ribbon Girl was always going to be an alt or an Echo, Ninjara's lucky to be there at all and Min Min fans don't have to wait for next game. And that leaves us so that we can get Twintelle or Dr. Coyle as a second rep. Other, less outlandish combinations like Spring Man and Ribbon Girl or Spring Man and Springtron definitely raise the likelihood as well. I don't have much else to say, I've litigated this possibility so many times that I'm just kind of tuned out and I care about the characters themselves more.

Want: abstain
I hate alts that could be playable characters. In the day of the Echo Fighter, when we have **** like Dr. Mario, Dark Pit, and Lucina as separate characters because of a slight difference in stats, there's no excuse not to label a character an Echo. To this day I rage that Alph has to be a color swap when Richter gets to have his own spot on the CSS and the poster. I want to be able to play as Bowser Jr. in different colors, Larry being there does nothing for me. Only time I could somewhat accept it is the Heroes, because there's absolutely no chance that more than one of them ever got in (and even then, I'm peeved that they couldn't be bothered to record the announcer calling them Luminary, Erdrick, Solo and Eight).

With ARMS it should be the same. I want Ribbon Girl to get her own slot. I'd love for Min Min to be unique. But at the same time I've had enough time to process it, and I get it. There's only so much you can do with an ARMS character. First time around you can do a mostly gimmickless character because the ARMS themselves are the gimmick. For the second character you need nothing more. I don't think a character like Spring Man or Min Min can get in as a second unique character if the other one gets in first without still being kind of redundant. If only one of them can get in as unique, then maybe it's better for both of them to get in as one slot.

So, you know, it is what it is. I won't go into my four Echoes theory because it's off-topic, but that's obviously the best outcome.

Noms: ****ing Tidus x10
Gordon Freeman prediction: 33.5%

You can group them together, but that'd need 12 sentences, same as if you rate them separately.
So I'm guess in the minority here? Could've sworn Helix was among the more popular characters in the cast...
Nah, he definitely is.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i know right

[QUOTE="GoodGrief741, post: 23951863, member: 214501]
Noms: ****ing Tidus x10
[/QUOTE]

we get 10 noms now?

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I really should have waited to reply to that to avoid double posting. My bad.

Concept: Pokéball Pokémon becomes playable x111
[Rerate] Steve x110
Concept: Fighter Pass Volume 2 is mostly first-party x105
Meowth x101
Decidueye x101
Louie x95
[Rerate] Rex x90

100 - 51

Concept: Darksiders rep x80
Sackboy x80
Zelda (BotW sequel) x80
Proto Man x75
[Rerate] Kratos x70
Dr. Eggman x67
Lu Bu (Dynasty Warriors) x57

50 - 25

Dwight Fairfield (Dead by Daylight) x50
Mii Costume: Jill Stingray x50
The Stretchers x50
Boss: Ender Dragon x49
Echo: Zeraora (41e) x45
D.Va x45
Fulgore x44
Concept: Pokémon Mystery Dungeon content x42
Concept: SNES-era Final Fantasy rep x40
[Rerate] Lip x40
Concept: Content from currently unreleased game (not Spirit Events) (as of May 17th 2020) x40
Concept: Upgraded Spirit x40
Echo: Dark Bowser (14e) x39
Echo: Lord Fredrik (67e) x35
Red (Angry Birds) x35
[Rerate] Saki Amamiya x30
Urbosa x30
[Rerate] Frisk x30
The Terrarian x30
Giygas x28
Concept: Second F-Zero rep x28
Concept: Assist Trophies added in updates x27
The Boss (Saints Row) x25

Under 25

Stage: Bowser's Castle x24
Rival Pokémon Trainer x22
Concept: Returning stages x21
[Rerate] Nightmare x20
Alex Mason x20
Nate Adams x20
Zeraora x15
Black Shadow x15
[Rerate] Paper Mario x15
Concept: No Spirit promotions x15
Wolf Link x15
Diablo (Diablo) x15
[Rerate] Captain Toad x14
Gooigi x13
[Rerate] Jin Kazama x10
[Rerate] Agumon x10
Concept: Dark Souls rep x10
[Rerate] Monokuma x10
Gran/Djeeta x10
Lora and Jin x10
Otto Matic x10
The Avatar (Ultima) x10
Neptune (Hyperdimension Neptunia) x10
Moogle x10
Tidus x10
Chell x8
[Rerate] Professor Layton x8
Magolor x7
Taranza x6
Concept: Darkstalkers rep x6
Sparky (Clash Royale) x5
Concept: Overwatch character x5
Asha (Wonder Boy) x5
Mii Costume: Hat Kid x5
Concept: Portal 2 rep x5
Breath of the Wild 2 Ganondorf x5
Tick (Brawl Stars) x5
King Graham x5
Concept: Fortnite character x5
[Rerate] Andy x5
Cooking Mama x5
[Rerate] Toxtricity x5
Jill (Drill Dozer) x5
[Rerate] Takamaru x5
Asuka (Senran Kagura) x5
Furret x5
Jin Sakai x5
Deku Scrub x5
Mii Costume: Edward Falcon x5
Concept: A LABO character x5
Cynthia x5
Echo: Xion (Sora) x5
Shuichi Saihara x5
Concept: Bonus character x5
Concept: Generic Zora x3
Three Mage Sisters x2
Concept: A Pokémon Trainer who fights x2
Concept: A fighter who uses all kicks x2
[Rerate] Metal Sonic x2
Concept: Generic Goron x2
Echo: 40e x1

Concept: Fighter Pass Volume 2 is mostly first-party passes Decidueye and Meowth and ends the day in third place. Rex shows a thing or three to Concept: Darksiders rep, Sackboy, and Zelda, remaining in the top seven as those three fall off.

Today's newcomers are Xion (as a Sora Echo), Shuichi Saihara, and Concept: Bonus character (all with 5 noms), and also The Boss, starting out with 25 noms.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
My character scores add up to 100, so they're all going to be smaller then average....

Helix

Chance: 5%. If spirits and ATs both disconfirm, then I think he has decent odds. He has an iconic design and could translate well into Smash. Problem is... I don't think spirits or ATs disconfirm anything.... I don't see him being chosen if they don't.

Want: 85%. Helix is a super cute character and would be very fun to play as. I like a squishy character, I guess.

Max Brass

Chance: 8%. Max Brass is story-important and definitely a major player in ARMS. As the final boss of the game, he also has a more natural Final Smash then some characters would have. His gimmicks would just generally translate well into Smash.

Want: 80%. He's cool, but I don't love heavy characters all that much. I feel like I'd play him less then some other options, but he still gets 80 as any ARMS character is worth celebrating.

Misango

Chance: 1%. I feel like his unique powers are a bit too overwhelming to properly represent the mechanics of ARMS. He's also one of the free DLC characters and is easily the most forgotten of them...

Want: 80%. He'd be fine. I don't know how he'd function in Smash given ARMS' natural gimmicks plus his form-shifting, but... I don't know, he could be fun.

Character Alts

Chance: 33%. I could see it happening and it would explain the weird announcement method, but I don't know why ARMS of all properties would get this treatment. I know some people think the unique abilities of different characters makes this a non-starter, but, frankly, I think Smash Bros defies canon abilities often enough that this isn't very new.

Want: 50%. Sure? I can't complain about more characters in the game, but I do feel like this would just continue to raise questions about when they make echoes versus alts versus semi-clones...

Noms: Moogle x10
Prediction: Gordon Freeman... 20%.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Helix
Chance 50 - One of the more likely ones I think. I don't think he's repped in Smash at all yet so I don't know if that's good on the chance they're picking someone not repped or bad because they need content for a spirit board. One thing that I know helps is that he's fairly popular and a very well designed character. While some of the characters don't really stand out from group Helix does and does so easily. Negatives are that he's not pushed as a top star in the franchise and also isn't the most popular(but is still popular, just not one of the top few) so it's not hard to imagine them going in a different direction but I see Helix as a solid dark horse.

Want 100 - Id love this. Helix is one of my favorite characters and I think he has one of the best personalities in the game which will translate to Smash really well. Don't really think there's a downside to picking him as even if there's some fans of other characters who are bummed I think he'll win them over eventually.

Max Brass
Chance 12 - Same issue I've had with 1-2 others so far, which is that I don't think it's going to be one of the heavier characters who makes it in. I'd be completely stunned if the ARMS rep doesn't have insanely good range and it will likely have good grabs. I'd be very shocked if it has amazing range, good grabs, and strong power. To offset that it would have to be the slowest and worst jumping character in the game, and while I suppose that the characters aren't that fast in the game I don't expect that we see a character with so many extremes. I'll boost it up a little bit because he had a good status in the game but overall I don't expect it.

Want 80 - I like playing as him and including him would make sense. I'm not sure how fun he'd be but I trust Sakurai with this.

Misango
Chance 6 - I completely forgot who this was at first. Like, I recognized the name but I couldn't place it at all. That doesn't feel like it's good for his chances. This just feels like it might be kinda weird for a pick since I don't think he's a super popular character and I haven't really played much as him. Have Misango towards the bottom of the likeliness for ARMS reps

Want 20 - Eh. Not the worst overall pick. I don't think I really want to see him get in the game though. Lots of others I'd rather have.

Multilple Alts
Chance 35 - I mean, I guess it's either happening or it's not. I'm gonna tick it down though since I don't think you can properly rep the series with multiple characters in one. The final smashs would be too different, the personalities(unless we just go Spring Man and Ribbon Girl I guess?) would be too different. I guess they never said it couldn't happen but I think this feels like it's close to when we had people speculating that Terry was actually some sort of tag team character because of his game, while nothing else we saw really pointed to that.

Want 0 - Yeah I really don't want this. I'd much rather just have one be in the game and go all in to make that character as good as possible instead of forcing multiple into the same spot. If we have to go the multiple routs I'd love to see an echo fighter get made instead of this. To me outside of using this to add in a ARMS 2 rep this feels like the worst option. I'd probably live with it but I do not want it at all.

Predictions
Gordon Freeman - 15%

Noms
Stretchers x5
Jin(Ghost of Tsushima) x5

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Priase Helix!
Fun, if barely related fact before I proceed with the rating: Twitch Plays Pokémon happened over six years ago. Feel old yet?

Chance: 18%
While Helix does have some popularity to him, as far as I can tell, he's sadly another one of those characters where I feel that he wouldn't represent the core concept of the series too well. Most of the characters on ARMS' roster are, at the end of the day, still human, and I don't see him representing that all too well.

Want: 45%
He has a pretty fun character design, I'll give him that. But there are just other human characters in ARMS that I personally find to be more interesting in terms of design.

CAPTAIN ARMS!

Chance: 53%
Now, here's a character that I could see having a decent shot. From what I've read, he's the final boss of ARMS grand prix mode, or at least was it initially. By being the league champion, he also holds a decently important position in-universe. That said, I don't really see him having the kind of recognizability for ARMS as a game that characters like Spring Man or Min-Min have.

Want: 57%
Eh, he's a pretty fun design. From what I've seen of him, he somewhat reminds me of Captain Falcon in terms of personality (hence the joke a bit further up), so that's a bit of a plus. I'll have to admit though that I'm just generally more interested in the characters that are already Spirits in Ultimate becoming playable.

But where is he Misan-going?

I'm not going to spend too much time on this rating. He's just one character out of many on the ARMS roster, with no real trait that sets him apart from the other characters. Of course, never say never, but I think it's pretty safe to assume that it won't be him.

Want: 15%
He's. . . somewhat interesting in terms of design, I guess? Nothing much to say there. ARMS however does have quite a few interesting designs, so like with my chance rating, he just doesn't stand out much to me.

I need a hero pair of ARMS

Chance: 70%
This one's honestly kind of tough to rate. Considering ARMS' status as a fighting game, on the one hand, it'd make sense to look at the precedent set by Street Fighter and King of FIghters/Fatal Fury, which just settled for one character. But on the other hand, a part of ARMS' entire thing is that the titular appendages make up much of a fighter's fighting style, rather than the character themselves. Plus, if I remember correctly, any one of them could equip any ARM. So really, it all comes down to whether or not Sakurai and his team could find a way to properly express the personalities of multiple characters in just one moveset and character slot. And for my part, I think he might be able to do that.

Want: 65%
This also a bit tough to rate for a want score. Generally I'd say the more the merrier, but who knows what compromises would have to be made for this? So I'll stick with this relatively high, but not too crazy want score.

Nominating Concept: Fighter Pass Volume 2 is primarly First-Party x10.

Predicting Gordon Freeman to get around 17.38%.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Helix

Chance: 5% - Helix is a bit of a dark horse pick and has a surprising amount of fan support. For those who don't want Min-Min or Twintelle, they often want to see Helix (ironically and unironically). However, outside of that his main source of relevance is fan demand, and for a Nintendo-chosen promotional pick, fan demand is rarely taken into account, just like with Pokemon and other games (Byleth before Edelgard, Incineroar before Decidueye, etc). If it were Sakurai choosing I can see him going for Helix, but Nintendo wants a character who represents ARMS as a whole, and Helix may be a bit too gimmicky for that. His squishing gimmicks also wouldn't work well as a compilation skin.

Want: 80% - I usually am for the more dark horse choices, and Helix's design, animations, and general silly demeanor would be a hilarious fit for Smash. Plus his design is extremely unique and inspired. He'd fit into the colorful Smash cast very nicely!

Max Brass

Chance: 50% - Gonna give Max a surprisingly high rating here, and while some of it hinges on whether or not they're ignoring spirits or assist trophies, I think he's got a very solid shot regardless. As many have noted, he is one of the characters who is important to ARMS lore, as the ARMS league creator and champion, and alongside Dr. Coyle is presented as a well-advertised and very important character. Plus he's the final boss of Arcade mode, so a lot of players experience him first hand.

There's also the ease of his implementation. While I know little about ARMS, when he was first introduced a close friend of mine described him as "better Spring Man". He seems pretty basic among the colorful cast of the game and their various gimmicks. but the context of Smash is a much different story. The stretching arms alone already give him a gimmick that stands out from the rest of the cast, and it wouldn't take much else to faithfully recreate Max Brass in a Smash setting. Outside of his basic abilities, his comeback mechanic and super armor would be easy to implement. This is opposed to what could be seen as "gimmick overload", such as Min Min's dragon arms, Helix's stretching, etc. There they'd have to balance crazy in-context gimmicks alongside the stretchy arms themselves, while a character like Max Brass keeps things more moderated. And with this more straightforward playstyle, he very nicely represents the overall concept of ARMS without having to worry about balancing all of these extra bells and whistles.

Despite his size, we could even potentially get him as an alt or Echo of Spring Man, this man has a lot of possibilities that people tend to overlook, due to the popularity of other characters.

Want: 100% - If we don't get Spring Man, I think he'd be the best choice for the ARMS rep, with his cool design and general over the top demeanor. A dark horse pick with surprising potential, plus Smash in general needs more heavy characters! He'dmake for a very fun to play character without getting too complex for his own good.

Misango

Chance: 1% - Not gonna write him off fully, but despite being a DLC character he doesn't recieve a lot of promotion from Nintendo, nor does he play a major role in the game. A lot of people just tend to forget he exists, thus I don't see Nintendo choosing him to represent the series when there are more recognizable choices.

Want: 50% - A poison character would be a genuuinely interesting addition to the Smash roster, and we don't have any characters like that yet. It would encourage a long ranged and patient playstyle which isn't common among Smash fighters. Plus he is inspired by Mayan culture, and Mesoamerican culture has always been an interest of mine, so that's always a plus!

Gonna abstain on the concept of alts, but given the guessing game format they've done for hinting the reveal, it very well could happen. But it's difficult to predict until we actually see it.

Nominations:
Louie x5

Predictions:
Gordon Freeman - 2.35% - People might overrate him, but his complete lack of Nintendo presence and Valve's lack of a relationship with Nintendo aren't gonna be good for him.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Ellie
12% chance: Sony isn’t going to let up on TLoU very easily. However, considering how big the series is in the realm of gaming as a whole, the series deserves a spot in the epic crossover of gaming.
100% want: I love TLoU and think that Ellie could be a fun character in Smash, utilizing the ranged weapons from that game to make for a unique character. I want her in Smash so much that I developed a possible moveset she could have (it’s not super in depth, but it’s a rough idea.) https://smashboards.com/threads/ell...tle-the-last-of-us-x-super-smash-bros.504958/

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Ellie
12% chance: Sony isn’t going to let up on TLoU very easily. However, considering how big the series is in the realm of gaming as a whole, the series deserves a spot in the epic crossover of gaming.
100% want: I love TLoU and think that Ellie could be a fun character in Smash, utilizing the ranged weapons from that game to make for a unique character. I want her in Smash so much that I developed a possible moveset she could have (it’s not super in depth, but it’s a rough idea.) https://smashboards.com/threads/ell...tle-the-last-of-us-x-super-smash-bros.504958/
About a year late on that rating

Top Bottom