• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rambo - http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/Rambo (**VIDEOS ONLINE**)

Mr. Phantasmo

Smash Journeyman
So April is the most likly month it will be held ?, if so I can get a few days off work (like the day before the tourny till the day after) so I can help out with anything possible like TV transporting and similar things.

I'm still deciding if i shoud get a Yanky Wii from Ebay, i've found one dude selling a couple of them (NTCS Wiis) in Queensland. I'll see how much the 1st one sells for before making a bid.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
The ANZAC day long weekend is what we're looking at. 25-27 April. EVERYONE KEEP THOSE DATES FREE

Bjay

Smash Lord
k april is free! i'm gonna try plan ahead as much as i can :D flights, housing, things to do on personal break, stuff to do in melbourne, and what not ^.^

hero_link

Smash Cadet
i did on my 1st time and i still am but i've been givin feedback that i've gotten better. jus askin though, r u new? or you've been playin a while and couldn't be stuffed making an account? thats me to XD

TakFR

Smash Lord
NNID
TakAE86
i did on my 1st time and i still am but i've been givin feedback that i've gotten better. jus askin though, r u new? or you've been playin a while and couldn't be stuffed making an account? thats me to XD
I've been playing for about a year and i got an account to find out where the meets are cause i want to be more involved.

hero_link

Smash Cadet
fair enough, same lol

why is Rambo held all the way there? its quite far.
several reasons
- close to Strider's house (host)
- close to Strider's friend's houses (crew)
- Venue is from what i heard really good
- Broady hasnt any famous events that so Rambo is ganna have a major increase for it's public views and status, jus jokin

Strider69

Smash Cadet
Ok, I'm sorry about not being able to update the topic or post much, but my computers having a fit and I just started at a knew school and I'm tired as hell.

Anyway, yes, most of the tournament details are up in the air, but we are in the process of confirming them.
Datewise, I am aiming for April the 26th. Resons for this are that it's a long weekend which should make it easier for people to get breaks and whatnot. Also, if you're comin from intersate, you might be able to party a bit the following night.

Venue-wise, the main resons for choosing somewhere all the way out in broadmeadows is costs and availabilities. The one we've found in broady is big, spacious and roomy, It has it's own carpark, and is moderatly close to public transport. I know that city opportunities would be better location wise, but it would have to stand up to things like space availabity and cost, and speaking of cost, Cao reckons this is one of the cheapest tournaments his ever run. Which means more prize money!!
Everybody likes prize money. lol.

Venue status so far is looking ok, the council lady said they should be able to get us in, but they still need to confirm the date. If I can't get it, then we'll start looking for alternatives.

Thanks all in advance for any help you can give. It's all appreciated. :)

Strider69

Smash Cadet
I've updated the first post, but my stupid computer has decided to go ape **** on me and I can't see if it's posted, or edit any other posts. So if it's posted, read it through, If it isn't, I'll get it up again.

Ok, I think I got it workin, sry for the dp, but I couldn't edit my previous one.

Mr. Phantasmo

Smash Journeyman
I've given work the days I want off and they have said no problems so I can take three or four days, what ever I need so I can come. Count me in for bringing a TV (hopfully it will be used, not like the monthlies), a Wii and at the moment Melee. I want a proper release date for PAL teratories befor I decide if I should import.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Thanks for the update Strider, I appreciate it

The lack of time restrictions is probably the best positive out of that venue, that alone makes it worth it - a stress free, flowing tournament

We can consider a city-centric venue for the Secret Life instead

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
I recall the venue having a plethora of table and chairs - I'll check back with Council staff to confirm this.

Interstaters are strongly encouraged to book flights as soon as possible as there are some interesting place sales coming up

Cobalt - The Secret Life is still secret. It's my own tournament that I'm pinning for a September or December 2008 date, right in the heart of Melbourne

Zant3tsuken

Smash Journeyman
You know what? This is highly lame. I managed to get Manifest to host a Couch Warriors with their Minifest (meaning we get venue for free) and they are giving us arts hall, if you recall, the hall we had at Manifest last year to do what we like it.

Thats great, whats lame is Minifest is on the 26th of April. :(

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
I think if Strider hasn't secured the booking yet to consider moving it to Melbourne University then. It makes perfect sense

Zant3tsuken

Smash Journeyman
I think if Strider hasn't secured the booking yet to consider moving it to Melbourne University then. It makes perfect sense
We could certainly work something out, and I could probably make it so only the relevant people would be participating in actual comps, but you would have to contend with Minifest attendees for freeplay and the time restrictions are greater. That said it wouldn't cost anything except the $5 entrance fee for Minifest and it is in the city so...

Dave we really need to speak to you about this and some other stuff when you're good.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Major and exciting new developments have taken place – im at work at the moment so I’ll just outline the main points and expand on them in due course
- Relocation to the Old Arts Hall in Melbourne University
- Rambo to be held independently, but in conjunction with Minifest (Prelude to the Melbourne Anime Festival) and Couch Warriors
- April 26 date confirmed – get your flights fast!
- Venue is free of charge – the Smash Bank may contribute towards other running costs, or the addition of new TV’s
- Official state time of 10am-8pm (8am setup, 10pm close)
- Lots of publicity for competitive smash through Minifest
- Accomodation and housing information to be released soon

Zant3tsuken

Smash Journeyman
Your best bet for accommodation would be a hostel, there are tonnes all around Melbourne CBD. Finding one that you guys could raid the TVs of would be a obvious. Just be wary of the 3 day weekend, and book fast. Most hostels will be a 5 minute tram ride from the venue. :)

You'll all have to pay the Minifest fee and will essentially be Minifest attendees. Free play will be shared with all Minifest attendees so (particularly for Brawl) there will be a lot of passing controllers around, or in your guys case, plugging/unplugging them. :p

Competitions will be run as you guys see fit. We can't prevent people from joining, so I suggest you guys figure out before the day whos planning to participate and seed your Melee tournament to make sure you all get in. We are currently working out the details with prizes but CAO believes only Melee needs a prize due to a handful of people having played Brawl before, which is fair enough. So Brawl tournament just for fun.

Most importantly, can you please bring up any publicity material you might have for the day. I have to bring it up with Manifest before the day, but the idea is to have general information flyers at the information desk in arts hall.

NG7

Smash Lord
Rambo out in the cinemas very soon.

Everyone go see it!

LemonManX

Smash Lord
I really don't feel like support Stallone xD

But I will come to the tournament. But forget RAMBO, I'd rather see Sweeney Todd again. That movie is awesome.

LemonManX

Smash Lord
I don't even know if Johnny knew he did either. Obviously its not like the broadway version (which obviously sounds... well... more broadway-ish) but God it was good for the film. Only guy I hated was Beadle and that's because I always hated the Beadle's character... curse him. Anyway... Rambo movie. Not seeing. Rambo tournament. Will come to.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
RAMBO MAJOR UPDATE

We will be at Melbourne University to promote competitive fighting games to a public audience. Manifest has kindly granted us permission to run the event however we please and spread the wonder of cult gaming culture! Not only is it Australia's debut Brawl Major, not only will it uphold the legacy of competitve Melee, it is also the prelude to the Melbourne Anime Festival! Do not miss out on this awesome spectacle!

HOW TO GET THERE

Where it is - Old Arts Hall, The University of Melbourne, Parkville
When it is - Saturday 26 April, 2008

Google Map Link and Directions: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U....807411,144.967132&spn=0.034178,0.080338&z=14

From either Flinders Street or Melbourne Central Train Stations, catch any Melbourne University bound Tram on Swanston Street. It will take you to the Melbourne University Tram Stop. Head west towards the University. What you'll encounter is an ordered mess of clustered buildings, but continue heading in a western direction and look for the Clock Tower Landmark. The Rambo venue is next to that tower.

SCHEDULE

8am - 10am - Setup
10am - 1pm - SSBM Singles
1pm - 4pm - SSBM Teams
4pm - 8pm SSBB Singles or Teams (depending on popular vote)
8pm - 10pm - Close

REGISTRATION

Rambo will be held in conjunction with Couch Warriors Staff, CAOTIC, Strider and the Vengeance Crew.

Due to the Rambo event running alongside Minifest and Couch Warriors, registration and payment for this major must be handled differently this year.

*ALL MELBOURNE PLAYERS*
- Registration deadlines for all Melbourne players close on - April 19
- $15 payment (access to all Rambo Smash competitions) can be paid at the following Couch Warrior Ranbats at La Trobe University: March 22 and April 19.
- Failure to complete registration and payment before the deadline will deny you entry to Rambo's competitive events. There are absolutely no exceptions.

*ALL INTERSTATE PLAYERS*
- Registration deadlines for all Interstate players close on - April 19
- $15 payment (access of to Rambo Smash competitions) can be paid direct to myself before the 25th of April.
- Interstate players must sign up by confirming their travel details in this thread. Once I have received the travel details after April 19, I will send you further instructions on how to complete payment.
- Failure to complete registration and payment before the deadline will deny you entry to Rambo's competitive events. There are absolutely no exceptions.

You may be asking why the money is not handled on the day of the event. There are a number of reasons which are outlined as follows:
- Greater preparation and organisation of Rambo
- Greater control and player capping, especially at a public event like Minifest, which may attract a lot of casual interest. It will not be possible to accommodate for all entrants with the limited resources and time restrictions available.
- Any payments handled on site will inherently become the responsibility of the Manifest Committee, which creates undesirable administrative complications. We are advised to independently administer Rambo registrations and payments through Couch Warriors and not through Manifest.
- Casual setups will be set in place to accommodate for people who wish to play friendlies, yet are unable to enter the tournaments.

PRIZES AND DISTRIBUTION

Super Smash Bros. Melee (1v1)
33% of the registration payments
1st - 60%, 2nd - 30%, 3rd - 10%

Super Smash Bros. Melee (2v2)
67% of the registration payments
1st - 60%, 2nd - 30%, 3rd - 10%

Super Smash Bros. Brawl 1v1 or 2v2 (depending on popular vote)
0% of the registration payments

CAOTIC's Stupid Rule - If CAOTIC were to somehow place within top 3 in 1v1 or 2v2 (subject to teammate approval), he will surrender his winnings to the next highest placed interstate smasher, since he is too good

RULES

Super Smash Bros. Melee
MLG (Major League Gaming) ruleset
Refer to the following link for details:
http://www.mlgpro.com/?q=node/43964
The rules will be posted and further explaination will occur on the tournament day.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl
I have no frapping idea

HOSTEL ACCOMODATION AND HOUSING

It is highly recommended that visitors stay at a hostel in the city. Anyone who has previously been to a Melbourne tournament before knows how spaced out everyone and everything was - Rambo aims to be completely centralised.

Hostel information:
Greenhouse Backpackers
Level 6, 228 Flinders Lane
Melbourne, Australia 3000

$30 a night

http://www.friendlygroup.com.au/greenhouse_home.asp
If you need assistance with Hostel bookings, please let me know and I'll sort you out.

Likewise for housing, anyone who requests housing can do so on this thread. Bear in mind just about everyone in Melbourne lives in outer suburban areas.

CURRENT REGISTRATION LIST
- CAOTIC (Host)
- Strider (Host)
- Loki (Co-Host)
- Zan3tsuken (Co-Host)
- Khang McCloud
- LemonManX
- Jei
- Myst Walker
- EXC3SSUM
- Atticus
- Redact
- TakFR
- Mr. Phantasmo

- ACCELERATE (QLD)
- Sirias (QLD)
- Dalty (Canada)
- Bjay (NSW)
- Tristan (QLD)
- Radiance (QLD)
- Sloth (QLD)
- Kulla (NSW)

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Great stuff guys, the ball's finally rolling. Let's make this the best tournament ever!

I'll add in transportation and equipment setup shortly

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
yeah im in of course

oh with caotics stupid rule, say you place first in teams, does that mean the second team receives 90%? :/
your an organizer, so maybe get it so that the winnings shift down? so that 2nd = 60%, 3rd = 30% so forth
and mebe if you say came second, it just skips like first = 60%, 3rd = 30%, 4th = 10%

it just spreads the love some more :D

Mr. Phantasmo

Smash Journeyman
Um, because of work restrictions I don't get out much so there is a chance I won't be able to make any of the Couch Warrior events. Could I pay you Cao directly next time I see you ?

Top Bottom