• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rambo - http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/Rambo (**VIDEOS ONLINE**)

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer

We will be at Melbourne University to promote competitive fighting games to a public audience. Manifest has kindly granted us permission to run the event however we please and spread the wonder of cult gaming culture! Not only is it Australia's debut Brawl Major, not only will it uphold the legacy of competitve Melee, it is also the prelude to the Melbourne Anime Festival! Do not miss out on this awesome spectacle!

HOW TO GET THERE

Where it is - Old Arts Hall, The University of Melbourne, Parkville
When it is - Saturday 26 April, 2008

Google Map Link and Directions:

MELBOURNE UNIVERSITY CAMPUS MAP LINK:
http://www.pb.unimelb.edu.au/CampusMaps/Parkville.pdf
No. 149 - OLD ARTS BUILDING
No. 195 - UNDERGROUND CAR PARK (ENTER VIA GATE 10)
TRAM USERS (ENTER VIA GATE 4)

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U....807411,144.967132&spn=0.034178,0.080338&z=14
From either Flinders Street or Melbourne Central Train Stations, catch any Melbourne University bound Tram on Swanston Street. It will take you to the Melbourne University Tram Stop. Head west towards the University. What you'll encounter is an ordered mess of clustered buildings, but continue heading in a western direction and look for the Clock Tower Landmark. It lies besides a giant green lawn. The Rambo venue is next to that tower.

This is what you're looking for:

SCHEDULE

8am setup
9am - 12pm - SSBM Singles
12pm - 2pm - SSBM Teams
2pm - 4pm - SSBB Teams
4pm - 7pm SSBB Singles
(1-3 hour time buffer)
10pm close

REGISTRATION

Rambo will be held in conjunction with Couch Warriors Staff, CAOTIC, Strider and the Vengeance Crew.

Due to the Rambo event running alongside Minifest and Couch Warriors, registration and payment for this major must be handled differently this year.

*ALL MELBOURNE PLAYERS*
- Registration deadlines for all Melbourne players close on - April 25
- $15 payment (access to all Rambo Smash competitions) can be paid at the following Couch Warrior Ranbats at La Trobe University: March 22 and April 19. This also be paid directly to my bank account - for details, send me a Private Message.
- Failure to complete registration and payment before the deadline will deny you entry to Rambo's competitive events.

*ALL INTERSTATE PLAYERS*
- Registration deadlines for all Interstate players close on - April 25
- $15 payment (access of to Rambo Smash competitions) can be paid direct to myself before the 25th of April.

You may be asking why the money is not handled on the day of the event. There are a number of reasons which are outlined as follows:
- Greater preparation and organisation of Rambo
- Greater control and player capping, especially at a public event like Minifest, which may attract a lot of casual interest. It will not be possible to accommodate for all entrants with the limited resources and time restrictions available.
- Any payments handled on site will inherently become the responsibility of the Manifest Committee, which creates undesirable administrative complications. We are advised to independently administer Rambo registrations and payments through Couch Warriors and not through Manifest.
- Casual setups will be set in place to accommodate for people who wish to play friendlies, yet are unable to enter the tournaments.

MINIFEST ENTRY FEE
- All players will need to pay an entry fee to Minifest which is $5. This can be paid upon entry on the day. It gives you access to all other parts of Minifest, which usually involves Anime Screenings, Stalls, Panels, DDR and other fighting videogames. Make sure you arrive early to pay for the Minifest Fee, to avoid long queues and missing out on Smash tournaments!

PRIZES AND DISTRIBUTION

Super Smash Bros. Melee (1v1)
25% of the registration payments
1st - 70%, 2nd - 30%

Super Smash Bros. Melee (2v2)
25% of the registration payments + 50% of the Smash Bank
1st - 70%, 2nd - 30%

Super Smash Bros. Brawl (1v1)
25% of the registration payments
1st - 70%, 2nd - 30%

Super Smash Bros. Brawl (2v2)
25% of the registration payments + 50% of the Smash Bank
1st - 70%, 2nd - 30%

CAOTIC's Stupid Rule - If CAOTIC were to somehow place within top 2 in 1v1 or 2v2 (subject to teammate approval), he will surrender his winnings to the next highest placed interstate smasher, since he is too good

RULES

Super Smash Bros. Melee
MLG (Major League Gaming) ruleset
Refer to the following link for details:
http://www.mlgpro.com/?q=node/43964
Swiss System for Singles, SE/DE for teams depending on time constraints. The top players will have access to best of 3 and best 5 of sets.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Swiss System for Singles, SE/DE for teams depending on time constraints, 3 stock, 7 minute time limit. Advaned slob picks, Blind Picks, 1 Stage Cancel (on Random Select) and 1 Stage Ban applies per set. The top players will have access to best of 3 and best 5 of sets.

BASIC STAGES
Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island
Pokemon Stadium (Melee)
Lylat Cruise
Castle Siege
Smashville
Bridge of Eldin (D)
Corneria (D)

COUNTERPICK STAGES
Luigis Mansion
Great Sea
Norfair
Frigate Orpheon
Yoshi's Island (Melee)
Jungle Japes
Battleship Halberd
Rainbow Ride
Brinstar
Pokemon Stadium 2
Distant Planet
Skyworld
Pictochat
Delfino Plaza (D)
Mario Circuit (D)
Onett (D)
Green Greens (D)
Shadow Moses Island (D)
Green Hill Zone (D)

BANNED
All other stages

(D) signifies the stage is not selectable if someone is using Dedede, unless both players agree.

HOSTEL ACCOMODATION AND HOUSING

It is highly recommended that visitors stay at a hostel in the city. Anyone who has previously been to a Melbourne tournament before knows how spaced out everyone and everything was - Rambo aims to be completely centralised.

Hostel information:
Greenhouse Backpackers
Level 6, 228 Flinders Lane
Melbourne, Australia 3000

$30 a night

On the right...

http://www.friendlygroup.com.au/greenhouse_home.asp
If you need assistance with Hostel bookings, please let me know and I'll sort you out. Naw, Jaz'll sort you out <3

Likewise for housing, anyone who requests housing can do so on this thread. Bear in mind just about everyone in Melbourne lives in outer suburban areas.

WATCH OUT FOR ~ PONY! ~

RAMBO PAYMENT CONFIRMED LIST:

- CAOTIC
- Myst Walker
- Loki
- Zan3tsuken
- Strider
- Forte
- Mikul
- Devil
- X
- Dekar
- Cobalt
- Ice K
- Bryan
- Nay
- Jei
- Geitz
- Tak
- Atticus
- Redact
- Ugly is the New Black
- Joemo
- Erick
- Blazey
- Emily
- Nick Caine
- Ugly Man
- Vermiis
- Syrick
- Divine Crono
- Jared
- Mr. Phantasmo
- Ammeren
- Plasia
- Benji
- Nick Sniper
- eXc
PAYMENTS PENDING/WAITING TO CLEAR (AND CONFIRMED):
- Wulfis
- NCN18
- 2t
- SS Ben
- IGIF
- CATS
- Shaz
- Hybrid
- Bringer
- Sloth
- Kulla
- Berimbau
- Jaz
- Dedu
- Bjay
- Turtle
- Timmypoo/Daltsy
- Unreon
- Zax
- Loudassasin + 2 friends

So far 58 entrants confirmed, and more to come! Set to be a new record!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Call me if you need something: 0420 824 348 (David Caotique)

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
PLEASE DISREGARD THE NEXT POST. ALL CORRECT INFO IS ON THE FIRST POST

Strider69

Smash Cadet
RAMBO - The Major Tour of 08 (Dates are in)

Please see top post for details

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
yay for strider working something out, i know cao is involved but he takes no credit for it since he didnt post it, yay for cao not taking resposibility! bad cao! *hits him with a bat*

hero_link

Smash Cadet
yay, go marz!!!!!...... and CAO. YAY i helped!!!!!!..... and will continue to help. Your putting a good name to our crew marz!!!!!! oh! oh! does this mean that im a V.I.P in this?????????

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
WIKI - www.smashwiki.com/wiki/Rambo

RAMBO!!!!! Hella pro!

Well well well, it looks like somebody decided to step it up and continue reppin' the Melbourne Tourney Scene. Good stuff yo! This is Strider's tournament - not CAOTIC's. I'm just the facilitator, or the overseer to make sure it's a success.

So yeah, I checked out the venue with Strider and its like, way too good. In fact, it's better than anything we've used before, including La Trobe. It has showers! YESSSS! That means smelly smashers will be forced to remedy their stink. Call that the no stink rule. Apart from that, it is a self-contained complex that will be completely ours to use with ample time - and since its set in footy field, there'd be fresh air and that, so Bark gets no john opportunities. "KO stole my air..."

The only gripe he could possibly have is that airplanes fly ridiculously low over the site, so the blaring noise pollution would make him lose. "AWW, ****IN FAAAAARK MAN, THE PLANE FLEW OVER MY HEAD, **** MAN, THATS ****IN CHEAP!!"

Other than that, the last thing I should mention is that the venue costs just over $200 per day (and Strider wants this to be a 2 day tourney - one for each game) - half the cost for the place in Kingston for 10 times the space and two times the extra time. We got some ideas on how to fundraise that money for the event, through fundraiser tournaments and such, so hopefully that works out. I think it wouldn't be too much to ask the Melbourne Smash Community to contribute, say, $3 per tourney day from now on (from the remainder Monthlies), to create a fund for our next special national event. If we make any extra money in the proposed fundraising, it will go back towards the tournament, be it petrol money for the 'Smash Chauffeurs' (i.e. Sam/Freddo/mr.drivesalot), extra food and drinks or prizes.

In an event like this and with the CW future uncertain, it's time we show our independence from other resources every now and then.

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?

PS - I will not be winning any money from this event, as an incentive for others to train hard and win something for once! If I somehow place high, I'll just give the winnings to the next person.

I want nothing more than to see a successful tournament run by someone who isn't primarily me and to see everyone else happy. I can **** other cities for their monies. :grin: Oh yeah, this could possibly be Australia's first large Brawl tourney. mmmm, I wonder how that'll play out?

WIKI: www.smashwiki.com/wiki/Rambo

Dekar289

Smash Hero
wow, this sounds really interesting then.
how many do we usually get at the monthlies? 25-30?
$3 a day would cover it nicely... Prize-money could be sacrificed, but I don't think that's the way to go. xD

Strider69

Smash Cadet
I'm hoping we can make enough so we can get trophies and the like. So you don't necessarily have to win to get something out of it.

hero_link

Smash Cadet
woah, im really, really proud of you marz! That's very Generous of you too Cao! YOU GUYS ROCK!
and im serious when i asked to be a V.I.P. I WANT IN!

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Awesome Cobalt! Whatever ****ty memory you had with Dallas will be written over by this awesome tourney! <3

Hero, what does a VIP do? Do you get to help on things like housing, transportation or tourney running? Ask Strider LOL

Caotic training, LOL Juggy, I can try :)

Strider69

Smash Cadet
I think it will probably be cross compatible. As for the way the tournament is going to run, I'm thinking it's probably gonna depend. If brawl has already been released by the tournament In Australia and has had a bit of time to settle and for people to buy it, then we should probably use the Australian versions to keep everything fair. It also depends if theres even a difference between them. I'm not really sure how the brawl tournaments will be held, probably the same way as the SSBM ones.
Edit: Yea man, what exactly does vip do? I'm not too sure either.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
I've talked to a fair few people about the venue for Rambo, and the thing that seems to shock them is the Broadmeadows area. Although I do like the venue a LOT, people see the area as ghettoised and this might scare them from attending. I just want some input from people to see if the area is really THAT bad and if they are game to travel there. From what I saw, it was just fine, despite the bad looks and bad press the area gets. Perhaps we could expand our search into something closer up the line that isn't seen as crap, like Essendon or the Moonee Valley or something? Cus all I'm getting is "Broady? ewwwwww!"

Am I having second thoughts? Absolutely not, I think the place is awesome. Just hope it flies with you guys.

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
version problem: either aus will play with aus only or...
pal wont be different to ntsc, i havent seen an announcement saying "BRAWL FOR NTSC IS GARUNTEED TO BE DIFFERENT TO PAL" or something, so dont assume it will be
also i dont see whats wrong with broady, it seems easier for pub transporters to get there cos its actually NEAR a station this time *cough* latrobe *cough*
also if you dont like broady, post it here and ill hunt you down and hurt you bad >:D

Dekar289

Smash Hero
It SO will be different... but I hope not.. It would make more sense if there were no differences, but it IS Nintendo... >_>

The actual venue at Broady sounds really, really nice, but people are more turned off by where Broadmeadows is and what they have heard about it. I don't mind it, if the venue is good.

Jaz

Smash Ace
I want nothing more than to see a successful tournament run by someone who isn't primarily me and to see everyone else happy. I can **** other cities for their monies.

interesting you do mention this cao :p

we can't have a Brawl tournament using NTSC brawl, its unethical, and won't be the version that the majority of Australia will be playing. we can only assume they'll differ, but even if it doesn't we should still host a tournament with a version reserved for Australia.

thats my 2c i'n (aN)TSC anyway ._.

Bjay

Smash Lord
I want nothing more than to see a successful tournament run by someone who isn't primarily me and to see everyone else happy. I can **** other cities for their monies.

interesting you do mention this cao :p

we can't have a Brawl tournament using NTSC brawl, its unethical, and won't be the version that the majority of Australia will be playing. we can only assume they'll differ, but even if it doesn't we should still host a tournament with a version reserved for Australia.

thats my 2c i'n (aN)TSC anyway ._.

Dates: March 21 - April 27

Hopefully before then Brawl will be out!

Devil.

Smash Journeyman
Broady isnt THAT bad, the smash scene is so gangster anyway theyll have no problems lol
and RAMBO sounds awesome count me in!.

NG7

Smash Lord
WTF! This is hardcore. I might show up hee hee.

Strider69

Smash Cadet
Something thats also good for all you interstate guys is that you don't have to take the sky bus! The Airport is really close, so If you do come by plane it'll be much easier to settle down. YAY for Broadmeadows!

NG7

Smash Lord
Also super-props on the tournament name. I hope you've seen the trailer for Rambo 4! It's godly.

hero_link

Smash Cadet
well if this place at Broady really is good since you checked it out and approve of it then im all for it too (even though i went for tullamarine)

NTSC is the american version right? we got the PAL version, i know that

hero_link

Smash Cadet
this is going to sound like kh2, ahhh the long wait finallly paid off. hopefully brawl won't be pushed to far and from it's vast welcoming of the good, the great and just the plain old gay it won't be crap

Dedu

Smash Lord
LOL Brawl for 2009 moar liek it!

PAL fails hardcore anyway. Get a wii mod and import BRAWL from Americaaa!

LemonManX

Smash Lord
Mod chip a PAL Wii and import NTSC Brawl.
or
Just buy a NTSC Wii and avoid possible brickings via updates.

Either way, screw PAL Brawl. Lol.

Dekar289

Smash Hero
doubt it, online wii games require you to install their updates before you first play em, and you'd think that the brawl disc will come with an update to screw over modders... but maybe.

Top Bottom