• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R.I.P. Kjell Anders "Nappy" Peterson.

-Googs

Smash Lord
I think I found something completely new to snakes grenade game, and i am positive it works, just need to find more uses, needs more testing will post when I confirm. It will make it harder for opponents to counter snakes camp game.

napZzz

Smash Hero
I think I found something completely new to snakes grenade game, and i am positive it works, just need to find more uses, needs more testing will post when I confirm. It will make it harder for opponents to counter snakes camp game.
a pm/post about this would be appreciated

-Googs

Smash Lord
bah after talking to ally about it, he already knows

but if you have 2 grenades out and you press B to do the empty nade animation, it strips grenades the direction you are facing. Usually with 1 nade people try to throw it back and I strip it, but when I have 2 nades and they think they're safe to throw it back i do it. This basically allows snake to always strip a grenade off their opponent regardless of how many nades are out, which shutsdowns people throwing them back at snake completely if you are fast enough

Snake's metagame development after the first 3 months has pretty much been small bits of situational pieces of information that is mostly useless and really only helps our understanding of the random things that happen in this game. Poor Snake.

-Googs

Smash Lord
Snake's metagame development after the first 3 months has pretty much been small bits of situational pieces of information that is mostly useless and really only helps our understanding of the random things that happen in this game. Poor Snake.
You're wrong, these little things allow for mix-ups, more options, and mind games.

You're wrong, these little things allow for mix-ups, more options, and mind games.
I say "useless" because they really are so situational that you often times would never remember you could do these things.

What you said only works when it is in their hand and not in the air. That pretty much means you have to be able to press B right when they have it. I do not see many people hold onto grenades for very long. It is in there hand for only a few frames before they throw it. You have to not only react to the time unexpectedly, but press B while they still have it. If not, you are stuck in this empty throw animation while they get to throw the nade away (which might be coming towards you in that empty throw animation).

To me, this seems interesting to take note of, but not for actual practice. But, this is what I mean about Snake for so long. He has all these small gimmicky things that are so situational they do not help all that much, if at all. I suppose it is useful to know that if you have a mine on the edge of the stage, you can get-up/get-up attack over 100% and not get hit by it. Or you can land on your own mine with a Grenade and not get his while PSing the explosion. But even these you can function without.

napZzz

Smash Hero
actually, in situations where you light toss 2 nades at someone or something and they obviously will attempt to toss one back, its not hard to see coming and hit b once they pick it up

-Googs

Smash Lord
actually, in situations where you light toss 2 nades at someone or something and they obviously will attempt to toss one back, its not hard to see coming and hit b once they pick it up
this ^ Most people decide to throw nades back when their is 2 on the field thinking you can't strip, now you can. It may not sound like much but start applying this to your game and you'll see it has more opportunities than you would think

Wow Etecoon... Nice to know that you care about someone so much as to imply they should go get hit by a truck :/
Funny video though :D

I guess the people I play most often are either dumb or really smart. I am so used to people not caring about snake's nades. They play around them like a Snake main does by knowing when they explode and being able to not be there when they go off.

Edit: I say Snake is like melee characters. Falco/Fox are broken on stage, but once you get them offstage they should die. Or if you hit them, they should be comboed to death. Many other characters are like that in melee where they have some fault that let's them not be overpowered. Snake is balanced to me. He does not have to be balanced in everything. He needs something overpowered, then some sort of weakness. To me this is balance.

Underload

Lazy
Each input that goes in during a grab animation will add a frame or so to your breaking of the grab. Each 1/8th (?) of a turn of the control stick adds to the pot. Each button press adds to the pot. The c-stick does the same thing, but the only way that works is if you hit a direction, return to the middle, and then go to another direction. So, what I do:

Spin the control stick like mad
Mash Z, R, and L with my middle and index fingers
Thumb rolls wildly over all of the face buttons
Ignore the C-stick and D-pad

Yeah.

And the era of discovering playstyle-changing techniques died a couple of years ago. No character's really found something that's totally changed their game (except Metaknight with planking, and that was known about back in the Melee days. It just didn't become popular until Brawl matured a little bit). Correct me if I'm wrong. I've gotten over the fact that Snake doesn't have many ATs. Not many characters have discoveries anymore...

-Googs

Smash Lord
Each input that goes in during a grab animation will add a frame or so to your breaking of the grab. Each 1/8th (?) of a turn of the control stick adds to the pot. Each button press adds to the pot. The c-stick does the same thing, but the only way that works is if you hit a direction, return to the middle, and then go to another direction. So, what I do:

Spin the control stick like mad
Mash Z, R, and L with my middle and index fingers
Thumb rolls wildly over all of the face buttons
Ignore the C-stick and D-pad

Yeah.

And the era of discovering playstyle-changing techniques died a couple of years ago. No character's really found something that's totally changed their game (except Metaknight with planking, and that was known about back in the Melee days. It just didn't become popular until Brawl matured a little bit). Correct me if I'm wrong. I've gotten over the fact that Snake doesn't have many ATs. Not many characters have discoveries anymore...
What about diddy's new nana lock? Or DDD'S new chaingrab? They just need time to be applied

Underload

Lazy
Which new Diddy naner lock? Single naner lock? Or did they find something else?

If you're talking about DDD's infinite, the timing is so stupid hard, it's impossible for 99% of people. At least, that's what I've heard. Am I wrong on that?

-Googs

Smash Lord
Which new Diddy naner lock? Single naner lock? Or did they find something else?

If you're talking about DDD's infinite, the timing is so stupid hard, it's impossible for 99% of people. At least, that's what I've heard. Am I wrong on that?
I'm not sure about the DDD timing, but Diddy has a new variation of the SNL which is way easier, and we have found found legit set-ups. Check out ADHD's thread in diddy boards

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
Brawl (Snake) has Dacus, Instant Item Throw, B-Reversal, Grenade Stripping, then there are many other small ATs you can choose from if you want to... I think it's ok :)

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
BDACUS has being close to game breaking for falco, a 9-frame attack with range that can be executed out of anything, plus shdl/shl to bdacus is a combo if they get hit with the laser in the air. ex. DEHF took a stock off M2K using bdacus out of a back roll during apex 2.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
It's still kind of the only legitimate way Falco gets kills at regular percents lol I love all the stupid setups you can get for Bdacus <3

Underload

Lazy
If you're talking about techniques that added a new dimension to a character's play, then yeah, there are lots. I'm talking about discoveries that have totally reshaped or put a new emphasis on a character's play.

The Diddy thing is interesting, I'll look into it.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Diddy is broken. Can't wait till he actually gets 2nd and then people can stop crying about Snake when they get infinited from a single trip lol

-Googs

Smash Lord
It doesn't work like that lol. Not to mention snake has a specefic timing that is really difficult. Snake won't be affected nearly as much as the rest of the cast, especially MK. Legit set-ups on this are more difficult than a 'single trip'. Not to mention snake can PSNL us back....

napZzz

Smash Hero
diddy is broken, his damage output is insane and his moves have amazing priority, let alone his camping game rivaling characters like snake/falco, his only drawback is that he has issues killing occasionally, and is sort of susceptible to being juggled/pressured by a few characters

napZzz

Smash Hero
it doesn't even matter, he's still a great characte regardless who abuses bananas better than any other character than game

napZzz

Smash Hero
depends on which part you were aiming at me wanting to explain, it was pointed towards rated saying snake is better than diddy

Top Bottom