• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R.I.P. Kjell Anders "Nappy" Peterson.

etecoon

Smash Hero
sometimes I think I'd like to be a snake main

then I think of olimar

and I come to my senses

I miss 2008 when snake was a **** character :/

etecoon

Smash Hero
knowing the MU doesn't change how stupid it is

and I'm not a snake main so I can't exactly "drop snake" over it...

Learn the MU or get a secondary to play it no need to drop Snake
You learn.. You learn that it's hard. MUs give a summary of advantages and disadvantages and what you can do and what the opponent can do. Since Olimar can shut us down pretty well, the ratio was confirmed to be 45:55 or 40:60 in his favor.

Match ups don't help you to win. Well, they do help you but the important part of match ups is telling how difficult it will be to deal with the enemy.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
So just because you need to outplay your opponent that match up is stupid..? Hell guys Its just a 60:40
Just because you lose if you're not waaaay better than you're opponent doesn't make it stupid?

That's pretty silly. I'm fine with losing when I'm not better, but when I outplay and still lose because of mu gayness, it makes me rather sad...

napZzz

Smash Hero
olimar is just too damn difficult, and its not a matter of "learning the matchup" There are alot of things wrong with current mu ratios and opinions flying around...-_-

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
MUs RATIOS ARE OPINION BASED. ALL OF THEM.

People forget that way too often lol

Some are just more accurate than others.

Take the facts and run with them.

napZzz

Smash Hero
I've got my own ratios in my head, and thats all I stick with. I dont think I'm really unreasonable, I try my best to base things off of my tourney exp through TRAVELING and what I see happen between good players

also, does anyone know how susa got banned?

Why not you check Susa's blog? I think that's the reason.

All of my ratios are based from my experience and some brawls I watch from good players. However, I have my own opinions and they could be different from anyone's opinions but then again, we have different experience so match ups aren't suppose to offend you. It's suppose to help you thanks to everyone sharing their experience.

So just because you need to outplay your opponent that match up is stupid..? Hell guys Its just a 60:40
It's still hard. Most people think it's hard including me so you're the one with a problem. Unless you could give us ways on how to beat him.

Reyney

Smash Apprentice
guys, i think we can approach olimar now, without fearing his grab!!! :awesome:

Ok, so I found this really easy and fast way to grab break. First of off, you need set your d-pad to anything that helps you grab break. I set mines to shield and jump. When you get grabbed all you gotta do is use your index finger to hold the control stick in a direction like down, then start rotating the d-pad with your thumb and rapidly hit the c-stick with your other thumb. The direction you're hitting the c-stick must be different than the direction you're holding the control stick. This alone will break out of grabs almost instantly. You don't even need to rotate the control stick, just holding it makes hitting the c-stick count as 3 inputs every time. Doing this method also leaves a lot of your fingers free to hit other buttons like L+R and the face buttons to break out even faster!

This is really effective against the IC's and Olimar! Makes it really hard for IC's to cg at lower percents and makes it impossible for Olimar to throw after a grab at low percents. TRY THIS!!!
I was testing it with K Prime. Not that Im an IC pro so take this with a grain of salt, but dash grab felt essentially useless until pretty high percents. It also felt like sopos dthrow cg no longer lead into a regular cg for those susceptible to it. Pivot grab still seemed to work fine for setting up cgs and standing grab was obviously ok.

As for the CGs themselves Bthrow Dthrow is a lot harder and pretty much useless until a decent percent. Basically everything needs to be buffered until a decent percent. Obviously this is still technically possible, but its no longer a free ride for ICs anymore, and they have much less room for mistakes.

In regards to killing, usually has to come at a higher percent if you want to make sure you get it.

As for olimar, this is also to be taken with a grain of salt, but at low percents you can mash out as long as he doesnt grab you close, as in normalish grab range. If it has to extend to grab you you can probably mash out in time. Obviously wont save you if hes going to kill you with a grab, but it will get you out of his low percent combos assuming he doesnt grab you at close range.

We tested this with other tethers and it didnt work for some reason (maybe different mechanics or their grabs were just too fast). But yeah, Im guessing it would work against force palm or if theres any other slow grabs im not thinking of, but it probably affects ICs most and sorta oli.

It does not work vs pikachu all his grabs are buffered.
Video demonstrating how fast this method is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4pHZUJGG0k

I grab break at 200% in less than a second.

etecoon

Smash Hero
tested it and it doesn't seem to make a huge difference over my normal mashing method, and it takes more time to start because of the finger position it requires

Reyney

Smash Apprentice
tested it and it doesn't seem to make a huge difference over my normal mashing method, and it takes more time to start because of the finger position it requires
even a small differece is nice.
and i think if you get used to it, it will be even more effective.
+its is much more controller friendly imo.

TommyDerMeister

Smash Lord
I'm curious, what ways do you guys use to break grabs?

I don't have a method so I'm going to steal one from someone.

napZzz

Smash Hero
I never knew there were really methods, I just go nuts on my controller hitting everything possible

I have seen various posts that say they believe that c-stick and control stick function differently for grab releases. Like you can mash c-stick, but you could rotate the control stick and it would work. I suppose from that there is different ways to mash out. I guess shield break, then try to recover from shield breaks as soon as possible.

Reyney

Smash Apprentice
guys.. really..kprimes method is too good.
i will get used to it and be known as "ghost" because you cant grab me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWZ_IStFrPc

*edit:
c-stick rotating is a waste of time.
it must be in neutral position first, to give you new inputs.
this means you must flick it, not rotate.

so guys... is snake the most balenced character in the game?

pros: maybe best ground game other than diddy kong, amazing projectiles, heavy, best kill move in the game

con: get snake in the air and he gets abused, terrible recovery, no decent aerials to defend or approach with with, chaingrab bait, combo material

tell me what you think, i want to get snake down to mid tier so people don't ***** that i main a broken character.

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
Snake is indeed not Top 2, he maybe is Top 5 at his best.

He's just too slow to defend himself against many characters, as the other characters begin to adapt to all of Snakes Options, because then, he really is a very limited character and get's very predictable.

Most of Snakes match-ups arent better or worse than 60:40 and are mostly around 50:50.

So yeah, Snake maybe is the most balanced character in the game.

Savon

Smash Ace
He is a character of extremes. His ground/projectile game is godly, but take him out of his element and you are back into the match. I hate when people complain about Snake when he is such a stoppable characer

RATED

Smash Lord
He is a character of extremes. His ground/projectile game is godly, but take him out of his element and you are back into the match. I hate when people complain about Snake when he is such a stoppable characer
I agree with you, Snake IMO always be guaranteed 2nd spot on the tier list. I main him and I gotta say that he's kinda broken. Is just that MK is way better.

napZzz

Smash Hero
I think snake is an unbalanced piece of ****

tons of heavy pros and cons doesn't really mean he balances out, I just think he's almost like a solid gimmick character in a sense

etecoon

Smash Hero
what nappy said. snake is not balanced at all, almost everything with him is either "amazing" or "really ****ing bad"

napZzz

Smash Hero
a balanced character is one who isn't necessarily over powered, or weak at the same time. Just the balanced inbetween

Top Bottom