• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R.I.P. Kjell Anders "Nappy" Peterson.

napZzz

Smash Hero
I dont think I've ever ever had that happen to me...only thing sort of like a "phantom" hit I've seen is when barely outside the range of a move it kinda looks like it should hit but doesn't and like....a little spark thing goes up on their body

RATED

Smash Lord
It sucks that I need the internet to post on the internet lol

I was just wondering, why do people complain about tripping so much in brawl? I honestly see just as many (if not more) intances where those phantom hits in melee happen. Those are actually points where a combo to death could have been ended by a phantom hit, which has happened to me many times. I've even had a charged usmash tipper phantom hit a CF in recovery and it gives damage, but no knockback, which gets me punished in the ending lag of usmash.
I remember techasing a FOX! after a Fair with jigglypuff , I reacted to his tech and rested the Fox... PHANTOM HIT! it was in tourney!!! I prefer Tripping over a Phantom hit srsly I do.

he lasered me... Upsmash, one stock less :(

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Because tripping occurs randomly when tapping the analog stick,is a blatant representation of the designer/director's anti-competitive intentions, ruins all sorts of strategies, and can cost people their stock/matches.

Phantom hits aren't random, you are just barely missed and need to be a little closer.

I see phantom hits occur a lot in my matches with people. So far the most common has to be a phantom knee. You see the damage, and blue sparks, but no knockback. Second most common is my usage of marth. Either way they are preventable, but I find phantom hits so much more annoying when you know the attack actually hits, however it merely does damage. Still, I see more phantom hits than tripping from recollection. Actually, I wonder if this was a phantom hit, but in brawl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u60TwxKQL4k

Because you're ******* is running so often.

Stop.Running.

No.Tripping.
needs more walking
^These smart people.

gotta cape glide more
So the infinite dimensional cape was given a new name to allow it to be used in tournaments?

Eternal Yoshi

NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
I like short hops and crawling.

Not running when using certain characters feels like the equivilant of fighting Medeus with the Falchion in your posession but not using it.

napZzz

Smash Hero
fire emblem games are amazing.

Maybe its just my turn base/strategy fetish that makes me a little biased

Fire Emblem I think is a really misrepresented game. It follows nintendos list of first party games and is likely the only reason it is still going. By looking at the sales of those games, they are pretty rare. I think they total only into a couple million in total sales world wide per release at best. I see something like in the half a million figures for total sales for each game that has a north american localization. For a 1st party title by nintendo, that is a fairly small audience.

Fire Emblem is my all time favorite RPG strategy game. Geneology of the Holy War is my favorite of the series. I like the inclusion of a two part game system that allows a lot of replay value in the 2nd half. Plus, the large maps offer a unique take on things espically with all the large scale battles that take place all over the map. The only things I do not like is that it does not have an american localization, it does not have universal funds access by each unit, and one cannot always double attack if you had enough speed over another unit. YOu actually have to have a skill to double attack. I think since they have been remaking Fire Emblem 1 and 3, and with the first released to North America, Mystery of the Emblem will see an american localization as well in due time. And likely they will redo genology of the holy war. However, it would be interesting if they did Thyrica 776 and FE2. Those are the only two games I could never find a legitament file for, nor could I ever get an extensive translation patch that was 100% complete. I wish I had not deleted my old files I had of mystery of the emblem or FE4 right now.

Also, sword of seals is the hardest FE game I think. Even the normal difficulty feels like hard modes in FE7. I have never tried FE6 hard mode yet, and I likely never will unless I quit getting so many bad stat growths.

I need to quit ranting....

Eternal Yoshi

NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
???
Trachia 776 was even harder that if what I heard is true.

I played 6 on hard mode and beat it, and I had odd RNG too.

Bad RNGs made Bors and Lillina unusable mid game.
Bors' skill was too low. He couldn't hit anything.

Thank goodness for Hard mode bonuses and Rutger/Miledy/Zeiss/Percival.

As of now, I'm playing Mystery of the Emblem since playing Shadow Dragon on the DS got me curious about what happened next.

Nicks

Smash Journeyman
i can see the benefits of walking everywhere, but i just watched the vids of razer and ally at mlg dallas and both of them basically run all the time!!!

does anyone know why they run and not walk?

I am pretty confident after playing melee as a newbie, that standing is easily the worst advance technique in the game. The main reason is that it makes you so much easier to bait. Give someone a single location, and your opponent knows the range of your attacks and can easily stay out of those areas. Doing some kind of movement keeps your opponent off track. This is the biggest excuse I can find for why I kept getting beaten by every character in the game. All they had to do was wait for me to do something in my standing position and they could punish off of it. Now that I actually started moving around the field, I don't get beaten as badly.

Now, if you were kidding, then I wholeheartly agree. Standing is the best thing ever :D

@EY: I played mystery of the emblem once so long ago, and I cannot recall at all what happened in it. The one thing I recall was this one lava map that had you going up a mountain side with ice and fire dragons beating you from both sides. Now that youtube has been around for so long, I think I will go and search up some thyrcia 776 and FE2 videos for gameplay. That way I can say I played the game without actually having played the game. I did that with Shadow of the Colossus, MW2, and Reach, lol

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=290884
Please tell me kappy that there will be a another tournament after this sometime between christmas and jan. 15-17?
Also, does those casual nights include smash at all?

napZzz

Smash Hero
I think so. There will probably be a monthly or two somewhere in between there. I think there is a tourney sometime in december, a more smaller smashfest style one, bu tthey're alot of fun. We had one of them last year

etecoon

Smash Hero
i can see the benefits of walking everywhere, but i just watched the vids of razer and ally at mlg dallas and both of them basically run all the time!!!

does anyone know why they run and not walk?
have you seen snake walk? it's nearly the same thing as standing still

napZzz

Smash Hero
walking is just about reataining options and being able to play on reaction easier

it just overall adds into your ground game for a more solid mixup

@Kappy: Something to look into come summer time. Maybe even this winter break.

Also, I have no idea what to classify Panty&Stocking with Garterbelt as in releation to japanese animation. All I can think of is that the whole thing is messed up.

edit:

I forgot what I wanted to say earlier. Anyone got any suggestions on the jiggly match-up? Not quiet sure how that one works.

napZzz

Smash Hero
pretty sure that tourney I mentioned thats sorta like a smashfest is goin down over winter break

Footstooling could probably be exploited to a larger degree than it is now. The random effect that happens every so often when you jump when the opponent does an attack looks like it could be applied to escaping punishment. I wonder if you can actually footstool a hitbox. Something like DDD's Utilt is pretty obvious when you are at kill percents. If that happened as snake, maybe we could soft footstool it, to avoid punishment. But, that probably is not how that weird effect works.

My winter break is from the 22th-24th until the 2nd or 3rd week in january. I think I start a bit later than most other people

I am pretty confident after playing melee as a newbie, that standing is easily the worst advance technique in the game. The main reason is that it makes you so much easier to bait. Give someone a single location, and your opponent knows the range of your attacks and can easily stay out of those areas. Doing some kind of movement keeps your opponent off track. This is the biggest excuse I can find for why I kept getting beaten by every character in the game. All they had to do was wait for me to do something in my standing position and they could punish off of it. Now that I actually started moving around the field, I don't get beaten as badly.

Now, if you were kidding, then I wholeheartly agree. Standing is the best thing ever :D

@EY: I played mystery of the emblem once so long ago, and I cannot recall at all what happened in it. The one thing I recall was this one lava map that had you going up a mountain side with ice and fire dragons beating you from both sides. Now that youtube has been around for so long, I think I will go and search up some thyrcia 776 and FE2 videos for gameplay. That way I can say I played the game without actually having played the game. I did that with Shadow of the Colossus, MW2, and Reach, lol

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=290884
Please tell me kappy that there will be a another tournament after this sometime between christmas and jan. 15-17?
Also, does those casual nights include smash at all?
I WASN'T kidding

Lol. Never mind. There might be some people who'll take that seriously.

Playing against a Darth Vader PSA (The broken version) with Snake was hell.

However, I learned a lot.

etecoon

Smash Hero
going to my last tournament today

so excited to be quitting this ****y game! : ): ): ): ): ): ): )

etecoon

Smash Hero
I decided we need more music talk in here, so here's what I'm listening to on the ride to DNA today

so much ocremix lol

ima win this tournament and **** up the PR for next season by disappearing : )

you post around to farm a post count dont you Berserker?
Part of that, yeah :awesome:

But most of that is actually posting when I want to comment or reply about a certain topic, discovery, telling necessary stuff and telling newbies to stop posting threads about helping them in a certain match up. Also helping in things.

Other than that, some posts of mine previously and now have something to do with post count milestones:awesome::awesome:

Well, quality matters. Not quantity

Top Bottom