• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R.I.P. Kjell Anders "Nappy" Peterson.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
I think Falco's a lot more overrated than Snake. Snake is where he is for good reason, I'm not gonna delude myself with " he's really not that good", because he is... You guys are thinking D3. Now that is an overrated character.
Have you every played a good D3? I think D3 is underrated, sure he doesn't do that well vs. MK, but my friend's D3 just owns my Snake and Falco. Plus he has a inhale release uptilt trick now its gonna be easier for him to get that kill.

Turazrok

Smash Master
Have you every played a good D3? I think D3 is underrated, sure he doesn't do that well vs. MK, but my friend's D3 just owns my Snake and Falco. Plus he has a inhale release uptilt trick now its gonna be easier for him to get that kill.
I play D3. I've seen the inhale release, which will help him. I think hes really slow on the ground... his air game is good but really nair is pretty much worthless and uair is meh. Dthrow cg, bair, utilt, d3cide, great recovery + edgegaurder. That's all I really see. His dtilt for epic win.

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
Also take into account D3's weight and momentum cancelling. He fricken lives forever, even against snake (if properly DI as always). His air game and CG puts us in a bad position. It really is a pain to fight D3. This is where we gotta camp our hardest.

There has never been a DDD that I have played that absolutely wracks my Snake. If you want to discredit wifi for that go ahead. The best I have played I think is probably Serin. But yeah, I just do not find it that hard to avoid getting grabbed. Maybe it's because I'm not overally afraid of the CG, or DDDs are over grabby and therefore easy to read. Actually, I do not think I have ever been WoPed to death from a CG by DDD. If anything, my Falco has more problems against DDD than Snake does. Mostly because of the fact that Falco is horrible at killing.

Lol. Ganon is retardedly easy. I've never not 3-stocked a Ganon, once I learned to shield.
I actually have problems with Ganon (maybe it's because all the ganon's I play actually know how to use him xD) I have problems with everyone xD Because I make so many mistakes in a match typically, Ganon gets free pot shots at me which usually ends up punishing hard. Shielding shouldn't be working.

Underload

Lazy
Yeah, so I just saw a TV commercial for Steven Seagal as a cop. ****it.

To get on topic, RedHalberd's right when he says we theorycraft too much. Theorycrafting helps, but not in excess. Not trying to flame, just speaking my mind.

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
I play D3. I've seen the inhale release, which will help him. I think hes really slow on the ground... his air game is good but really nair is pretty much worthless and uair is meh. Dthrow cg, bair, utilt, d3cide, great recovery + edgegaurder. That's all I really see. His dtilt for epic win.
Nair is not useless. Learn that now. Play me and I will use it 15x in a match.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
I'm going to upload a vid of me getting ***** by a Dedede just to show how hard the match is. (And how stupidly I played that match, if I played against him like that now I would get 3 stocked every match.)

EDIT:

Heres the vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00EhQrWvdNA

This is old stuff, before either of us knew the matchup all that well, don't bother critiquing me, I know basically every move is a mistake on my part.

I use n-air as an edgeguarder most of the time against big targets especially DDD (Cause the DDDs are stupid at my country) >_>

I'm going to upload a vid of me getting ***** by a Dedede just to show how hard the match is. (And how stupidly I played that match, if I played against him like that now I would get 3 stocked every match.)

EDIT:

Heres the vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00EhQrWvdNA

This is old stuff, before either of us knew the matchup all that well, don't bother critiquing me, I know basically every move is a mistake on my part.
I will mention one thing. Instead of hanging on the ledge, occasionally try to drop down and jump back up to regain invicibility. But only if DDD is roughly a rolls distance or jumping in the air above the stage. Do not need to risk him running off the stage to hit you. It's funny how often that ploy works by just dropping down and jumping back up cause people to try to chase after you from which time you already regained your invicility and can try to roll, get-up attack, etc. Doesn't always work mind you, but it's a nice mix-up to keep them guessing what you will be doing.

Nair with DDD is actually really useful as was already stated. By FFing it, you can actually get it to combo into Utilt chain. It also has surprising knockback for a move like that at higher percents. Plus, it goes through Snake's mortar.

Ran Iji said:
You don't have any tournament experience to write anything that would be meaningful. Nappy and I are currently working on a guide.
Ran Iji said:
Berk, you're just regurgitating information again. You have no idea what you're talking about.
sighhh..... sorry for being a dumb, stupid non-skilled and worst Snake anyway :( I've never seen ya anyway been positive to me :embarrass well I don't know if I'm frustrating you so I'm not gonna butt in anything of your stuff :) well anyway back to the stuff the worst part is I got this in one day......... :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

-Ran

Smash Master
I'm being honest. There's no level of emotion tied to it. The goal of Smashboards as a whole is to produce new information to further the metagame. We must look at the old information and find what is poor, assumptions, or flat our wrong. When it comes to the spread of misinformation and ignorance, I can't help but be truthful.

There's no shame in having no tournament experience, but at the same time you shouldn't be throwing out so much 'information' to people with as much spirit as you have. Don't get me wrong, it's nice that you have a zeal for the game, but you need to apply your efforts accordingly. Find your local smash scene and start to play people at a competitive level, and if you cannot do that, at the very least turn to the AllisBrawl ladder. At the moment the best thing that you can do is play the game against good players.

Well anyway I'm gonna go to tourneys next year anyway (wi-fi lol) but local tourneys.. I'm gonna have to be your age because you know, "school" at least you're understanding

-Ran

Smash Master
I know of many young [14-15 year olds] smashers that attend tournaments at all levels of play [local, state, regional, and national.]

Don't they have these stuff that stop them a bit:
1.) School
2.) College
3.) Parents (overprotection and you know...)
All these things disturb me

-Ran

Smash Master
1. School -> They play after school or on weekends. There're also breaks due to holidays and the summer where most major tournaments take place.
2. College -> Same as school really, but with college you can schedule yourself to have more free time. I have all of my classes on Monday and Wednesday, which pretty much leaves me to do whatever I wish with the rest of my week. Not to mention that after next week, I'm done until Mid-January.
3. Parents -> The key is to find the more charismatic smashers in your area to show them that they aren't wild crazy people. People are inherently afraid of the unknown, but once they find someone they can trust, their perception begins to change rapidly. As nerdy as it may sound, have your parent go with you to a tournament in the area. Let them see how family friendly it typically is, and make sure to that they meet most of the people there. [Get to know the people in your area over Smashboards first, this is crucial!]
4. Transportation -> If you're a cool kid in real life, then you can car pool with older smashers. Just pay for gas and entertain, that simple.

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
Cincinnati, Ohio ; Land of Happiness and Kindness
NNID
Daylightful
Yeah~! I completely agree with Ran! Even though I'm not young, I'm not that much older than you! I did homework before and after school and got things completed a lot earlier. That gave me the weekends for tournaments. (Which worked out well!) And well, I'm not in college just yet so I can't so but college classes are normally spread out and you can choose your own times and such, so it's really all about balancing your schedule right there. And yeah! Have your parents meet some funny, nice Smashers to talk with and maybe they'll open up more! My dad wasn't too iffy on it, but I did have to explain it to him a lot. And plus, I was a girl and I was constantly hanging around boys that play games. But I told him a lot of them are really nice and are pretty much there for me. As for transportation have you visit boards in your area? Like Southwest? Midwest? etc? They normally have threads where you can post and talk! Talk to them and see what you can do. A lot of times we all just carpool, and split gas money depending on how many people in the car. So I never had to worry about driving as long as I had at least a few bucks for gas! It worked pretty well! >o<v So yeah!! Go with what Ran said! Good luck!!

-Ran

Smash Master
A quick search of his user posts shows that he has yet to make any post in any of the sub-forums of the regional board.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
I will mention one thing. Instead of hanging on the ledge, occasionally try to drop down and jump back up to regain invicibility. But only if DDD is roughly a rolls distance or jumping in the air above the stage. Do not need to risk him running off the stage to hit you. It's funny how often that ploy works by just dropping down and jumping back up cause people to try to chase after you from which time you already regained your invicility and can try to roll, get-up attack, etc. Doesn't always work mind you, but it's a nice mix-up to keep them guessing what you will be doing.
Yeah I know the trick your talking about, it works well against mediocre players because it trick them into thinking that you will release again. However this doesn't work at higher levels of play, because the good ppl have all seen this trick before and will know not to just run off. And if you keep on doing that everytime you grab the ledge you will get stagespiked, even if you dont release just the thought of it will prob cause you to hang on the ledge for too long and get stage spiked.

I mean, your right and I like how you think, so don't see it as me trying to break down your ideas. ;)
sighhh..... sorry for being a dumb, stupid non-skilled and worst Snake anyway :( I've never seen ya anyway been positive to me :embarrass well I don't know if I'm frustrating you so I'm not gonna butt in anything of your stuff :) well anyway back to the stuff the worst part is I got this in one day......... :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(
Haha Berk don't be down, just the fact that your here and posting means that your going learn and improve. But Ran Iji is correct in that you do need tournament experience so you should try to go to the regional boards, see if theres a tournament near you, and try to go to it. It will make you soooo much better.

I'm being honest. There's no level of emotion tied to it. The goal of Smashboards as a whole is to produce new information to further the metagame. We must look at the old information and find what is poor, assumptions, or flat our wrong. When it comes to the spread of misinformation and ignorance, I can't help but be truthful.

There's no shame in having no tournament experience, but at the same time you shouldn't be throwing out so much 'information' to people with as much spirit as you have. Don't get me wrong, it's nice that you have a zeal for the game, but you need to apply your efforts accordingly. Find your local smash scene and start to play people at a competitive level, and if you cannot do that, at the very least turn to the AllisBrawl ladder. At the moment the best thing that you can do is play the game against good players.
Ran, you know who you remind me of? Commander Beef on the Dedede board, you both have the aura of the serious and extremely helpful guy.

Yeah~! I completely agree with Ran! Even though I'm not young, I'm not that much older than you! I did homework before and after school and got things completed a lot earlier. That gave me the weekends for tournaments. (Which worked out well!) And well, I'm not in college just yet so I can't so but college classes are normally spread out and you can choose your own times and such, so it's really all about balancing your schedule right there. And yeah! Have your parents meet some funny, nice Smashers to talk with and maybe they'll open up more! My dad wasn't too iffy on it, but I did have to explain it to him a lot. And plus, I was a girl and I was constantly hanging around boys that play games. But I told him a lot of them are really nice and are pretty much there for me. As for transportation have you visit boards in your area? Like Southwest? Midwest? etc? They normally have threads where you can post and talk! Talk to them and see what you can do. A lot of times we all just carpool, and split gas money depending on how many people in the car. So I never had to worry about driving as long as I had at least a few bucks for gas! It worked pretty well! >o<v So yeah!! Go with what Ran said! Good luck!!
O_o then what happened?

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
Darn you Ran for scheduling your class on 3 days. Unfortunately it's literally impossible for me, since my classes always never overlap. Also, MA player finder gots lots ofs melees.

Edit: Don't worry about it Berserker! We can only talk about what we know, but we have to acknowledge what we don't know. It's at that point we shouldn't say anything. Ran has lots experience against lots of people. I only somewhat know the lucario, DDD, falco, snake, samus, kirb, etc MU. I can't jack **** about MK, IC, DK, Oli, Marth, Pika, Ness, etc. Even the MU I do SOMEWHAT know, I still have a lot to learn. I'm not super experienced yet.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
I knoowww, why does MA ppl need to be dumb and still play that old game? XD

Well sooner or later the Brawl community will take over, sooner or later...

napZzz

Smash Hero
Well anyway I'm gonna go to tourneys next year anyway (wi-fi lol) but local tourneys.. I'm gonna have to be your age because you know, "school" at least you're understanding
I was going to melee tourneys when I was like 15, never had the urge to travel out of state until this brawl stuff tho when I was about 16.

And here I am now going to out of state tourneys, traveling more within the midwest and trying to get out for pound 4 or some other big national tourney.

its not hard if you know what to do and apply yourself. Show your parents good grades, behavior, and somehow make them realize however and whatever way you're going to what you will be (whether its local or out of state) you will be safe and fine.

People like Ran are great because they let people like you know what you're doing wrong instead of letting you continue to **** up. We're here to help the community and as an active poster I'm also glad to do such things, even if you have to sound a little harsh in the process.

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
I dunno about all your parents, but my parents like to keep to themselves. They didn't even want to meet my best friend's parents or get to know him. They would never, NEVER, NEEEVVVEEERRR (caps) approve of my spending money to go play OoS. It might be an asian thing, especially since my parents are straight from Nam. Hell, they wouldn't even let me go to Manchester, 1-2.2 hours from where I live, to go see my friend's band play. :'(

Turazrok

Smash Master
Yeah, so I just saw a TV commercial for Steven Seagal as a cop. ****it.

To get on topic, RedHalberd's right when he says we theorycraft too much. Theorycrafting helps, but not in excess. Not trying to flame, just speaking my mind.
What is "theorycraft"? And theorizing is something you can never have enough of, as long as you're testing them out. I don't have the time, nor the people.

napZzz

Smash Hero
I was the one complaining about snake boards theorycrafting not him D: <

and it means we basically just craft a bunch of situations we've never been in acting like you can know the outcome based on your knowledge, people do it with alot of matchups and usually end up looking ******** and not knowing what they are talking about. It applies to alot of things

like, I could theorycraft and tell people how to play snake on Rainbow cruise, but why would I? I never use him there, I don tknow what I'm talking about, noone tests these things they just believe what is said as long as it sounds semi legit.

Turazrok

Smash Master
I was the one complaining about snake boards theorycrafting not him D: <

and it means we basically just craft a bunch of situations we've never been in acting like you can know the outcome based on your knowledge, people do it with alot of matchups and usually end up looking ******** and not knowing what they are talking about. It applies to alot of things

like, I could theorycraft and tell people how to play snake on Rainbow cruise, but why would I? I never use him there, I don tknow what I'm talking about, noone tests these things they just believe what is said as long as it sounds semi legit.
Then they should test them. It's up to the theorycrafter to test their own theories. If they can't then they shouldn't post.

ErikG

Smash Ace
Wow I missed a lot of posts.
So I pretty much started a decent smash community in my town. It's nice, and we have a good spread of characters to play against. It's not tourney level experience, but at least it's conditioning me for the other characters.

Yesterday, my Snake was terrible, but my Ganon was surprisingly strong.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Wow I missed a lot of posts.
So I pretty much started a decent smash community in my town. It's nice, and we have a good spread of characters to play against. It's not tourney level experience, but at least it's conditioning me for the other characters.

Yesterday, my Snake was terrible, but my Ganon was surprisingly strong.
lol, nice, you should come to our smashfests sometimes, if your ever in Boston on a Friday afternoon.

Sometimes it happens. My Snake ALWAYS goes through rough patches, and it gets really annoying and unsettling.
What do you mean? You couldn't beat someone you could beat before?

Top Bottom