• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Quick Question, Quick Answer Thread

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
You can also laser G&W with Fox and he'll get his Up-B back IIRC.

Not sure if everyone does but quite a few do.

Also I'd like to take this opportunity to point out somewhat of a confusing part of the Brawl engine. When talking about stages, X is horizontal, Y is vertical, and Z is the third/in-and-out/minor axis. With respect to characters, Y is still vertical, but X is sideways and Z is forwards/backwards. As a result, when a character walks forwards, they're moving along their Z axis, but they're moving along the stage's X axis.

The matter isn't helped by programs like PSA and OpenSA not realizing this distiction and therefore swapping the labels of X position and Z position (things are always in XYZ order, never ZYX order). BrawlBox on the other hand gets it right.
trying to rotate GFX correctly in PSA is retardedly annoying because of this

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
So, tell me this...

We all know about "cinematic hitlag" as it's commonly called, and how some of marth's attack have said property. Now I was also told by a Marth that the entire usmash is a tipper, the thing is, I know I've SDI'd it before, which isn't possible w/ cinematic hitlag. Is there some misinformation, or is usmash not one of those attacks w/ cinematic hitlag?

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
wtf is cinematic hitlag

you should be able to DI any of those moves as long as they have some value of SDI above 0 and they send you into tumble(iirc)

Toomai

Smash Ace
"Cinimatic hitlag" is not a good term to use. From what I can tell it's ill-defined, with the closet definition being "a hitbox with high freeze frames and low SDI ability".

Marth's entire up smash has regular SDI ability, with the tip having extra freeze frames.

T-block

B2B TST
Yeah, it refers only to a 0x SDI multiplier. Moves like Squirtle's d-air, with a 0.25x multiplier, are not cinematic.

I don't mind the term at all =\

It's only Marth's f-smash that has cinematic hitlag IIRC.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
They are, and so's dair I think, and Falcon's knee (?). But I assumed T meant fsmash was the only one of Marth's moves that's cinematic.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Lightning Kicks have x0 multipliers at the toe. You can SDI the weak spots tho.

Yikarur

Smash Master
we have to Options to chose for the display of the duration of an move
we have
"FAF" (first actionable frame as you know)
and
"Total" (as "Total Frames" or "Total Duration of the Move or the likes)

what do you think are the advantages and disadvantages of either? (directed to everyone =D)

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I always liked FAF better. Can't give a strong argument for why tho. *shrug* I don't think it really matters either way.

EDIT: v That's true. If we used duration, we'd have to specify IASA/FAF/whatever frames anyway, so both or FAF is probably better.

T-block

B2B TST
The way that's worded, there is a subtle difference between the two when a move has IASA frames, no? If a move has IASA, Total would actually show a longer duration than FAF. I thought that's why we used FAF?

In any case, I don't see the problem with being redundant and showing both. They both could be useful depending on what the seeker of the frame data is looking to do.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
You could easily just do what the melee hitbox threads do.
An example would be:
Down Air
Hits: 4-8
IASA: 38
Total: 44

That way it shows when the IASA is and how long the animation is.

Sieguest

Smash Master
The way I always understood it, we used FAF because most moves in brawl weren't legitimately "interrupted", (Their "IASA" was noted as one frame after the move actually finishing which really isn't interrupting anything) so using the term IASA was inaccurate (unless the move actually was able to be interrupted before being finished [MK uair....]).

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
i never properly understood IASA. imo if you can "interrupt" a move, you arent "interrupting" it anymore, that is when the move ends. how do you tell between iasa frames and regular FAF? they seem identical to me

T-block

B2B TST
Some moves can be interrupted before the animation ends.

If you're only looking at the practical aspect, then yes, we should just consider the move to be over once you can perform a different action. However, the animation of the move does continue, so from a design standpoint, the move is still ongoing.

Actually, do you have access to all of your options during IASA? You can still jump, right? For some reason my gut is telling me you're limited during IASA.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
i never properly understood IASA. imo if you can "interrupt" a move, you arent "interrupting" it anymore, that is when the move ends. how do you tell between iasa frames and regular FAF? they seem identical to me
It's only a subtle difference.

FAF = the first frame you can possibly act whether it's an IASA (before the move's animation ends) or not.
IASA = only if you can act before the move's animation ends.

So, all moves have an FAF. Not all moves have IASA.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
eh i dont see the point to the average player. as tblock says i look from a purely practical standpoint. when the animation ends it completely superfluous and has no effect on the game if you can do anything you want before the animation ends -shrug. just something that bugged me

Yikarur

Smash Master
no you getting it a bit wrong
IASA means you can interrupt the move while it's still going.
you should never pay attention to the animation if you can interrupt it with everything.

Melee has "legit" IASA frames on aerials why brawl has not.
In Melee Jiggs can interrupt her bair from frame 31 with jump and aerials, but not with specials. She can only do specials after the move has finished (frame 39)
We don't have this in Brawl so the earliest frame we can input anything should be the point where we say "the moves ends here" (or the frame before to be correct)

I don't really now if they are moves that have true IASA frames in brawl D: The Shield Drop Animation after a powershield has them.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
So..... why even worry about duration? Just use FAF then, because afaik all IASA frames -- on attack moves anyway -- are in endlag (which is why I wouldn't say the move is "still going" if the hitbox is gone). & if you can do anything at that point, why even care about what comes after?

Then again, I've really only looked closely at Pika/Zelda frame data, so maybe I'm off with that last statement. /shrug

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
I am not sure about aerial IASA frames, but I have always known this.

In Brawl, you can IASA into anything. In melee, you cannot. IIRC you are limited to Attacks, Jump, and Shield. You cannot use specials from IASA though.

Yikarur

Smash Master
what about moves lime marths dtilt? im fairly certain you can dtilt again a lot sooner then you can do anything else

no, I tested this, the frames where you can dash, special, shield etc are occupied with the frames for another dtilt.

Toomai

Smash Ace
The difference between animation length and interruptability matters because if you interrupt a move with the same move again its staleness is delayed.

Example: If you continually d-tilt with Marth, as long as you interrupt the d-tilt with a d-tilt you are constantly in the d-tilt action. Each hit counts in the stale move queue, but the move's damage isn't decreased to match until you leave the d-tilt action (either the animation ends or you do something else).

Top Bottom