• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[QLD] SummerSmash 2012 - February 18th - Over $1,500 in cash and prizes to be won!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dekar289

Smash Hero
even if m2k was still a tier above the rest of the cast, in a scene as small as ours where snake and diddy dominate, there's not much sense in banning him. only 1 good mk player. also do we want to discourage new people who main metaknight? growth should surely be the focus of both smash scenes. aus competitive brawl will probably die or at least go on hold when the new smash comes out anyway.

let's not forget that vic isn't banning mk. vic the best brawl state by miles and host of 2 majors last year. banning mk in other states seals the door shut for aus brawl.

Remastered

Smash Lord
Yes we will do crews either on the day, or at a meet during the weekend, whichever allows time to permit.

I would run a card tournament area, but that means I'll be stretched pretty thin between doing brawl pools/tourney/doubles/registrations/crews/competing and yugioh/pokemon/magic/tourney/etc/etc. Friendlies can make for some good competition. I'll give a prize to anyone who can beat my yugioh deck, how does that sound?

Brawl might be dying everywhere else, but it's doing fine in QLD. We are growing, and always doing new things to get players in, thanks to the help of some smart and driven individuals in our scene. We honestly don't care to much about the issues brawl might be having elsewhere in the counrty, because it is doing well up here, so obviously we are doing something right.

We aren't banning MK because America said so, we also aren't banning him because of the effect he has, (or lack there of) on the Australian scene, we are banning him to promote diversity, promote a greater level of skill, and to promote our state as one on its own. SA has had amazing success with MK bans, and it hasn't hurt them at all in terms of competitiveness. Brawl will still require the same level of skill without MK, if not more. Again, he will remain banned, so you can QQ all you like, nothing will change.

If you don't like it, don't come. We are going to have an awesome tournament regardless.

( I do like that the only people who have said its a bad idea to ban MK have been Melee players and Earl though :) )

earla

Smash Lord
has qld had diversity issues lately? how many mks do u have?

what was the amazing sucess SA had banning mk>?

Jesmo

Smash Journeyman
I'd just like to say that I agree with both sides of the Metaknight argument. I personally don't think he should be banned in Aus but hey, both sides have valid points.

What I do think is that you shouldn't say "We're not banning Metaknight because the US said so." Of course you are. If America wasn't banning him, everyone here would still be playing along with him too.

I actually don't think there is a right or wrong decision and that there is only personal preference. Although, I still don't like to see a character that isn't dominant in any way, shape or form, get banned here.

On another note, I need to bring mah yugiohs this time lol

@Earl: I assume if Metaknight was not going to be banned, Ad3pt, Arrow and myself would be the Metaknight mains. Maybe with Kaion throwing him in as a failing secondary every now and again (Use Samus son!)

earla

Smash Lord
ya, i also find it hard to believe mk wud've ever been banned here if america didn't give u permission.

Pantsmann

Smash Lord
whine whine cry cry get over it. don't like it? don't go to tournaments where he's banned kdone problem solved.

we should get back onto the topic of SUMMERSMASH. take your MK bs over to the general brawl thread.

the most important thing we should be talking about is Catherine crews. QLD vs Aus. get on it.

swordsaint

Smash Master
I don't think people in Aus are banning him to 'follow suit' with America, or be like them at all, but I do think America's ban has influenced it in some way. To me it appears like some people here in Aus have wanted to ban him for a while, but until a more respected or established scene had chosen to do so, chose not to. It wasn't to copy them, but there was more credibility in waiting until they had also done it. Despite whether you agree with it or not.

I don't care, but that's how it looks imo.

Remastered

Smash Lord
I couldn't have said it better Scoot. The full ban hasn't been implemented yet in America, hence we still see half the tournies in America still with MK legal. QLD has implemented soft bans and doubles bans to MK before, with no issue ever arising in our tournaments, so adjusting tournies for Metaknight up here isn't a new thing.

I have talked to other Aus TO's, and they also have varying opinions on what is good and bad about banning MK, as do I. However, all it will take is one tournament to see whether it will be a good or a bad thing. The adverse effects don't outweigh the positive, when all things are considered.

As Dif said, don't come if it bothers you that much. I for one would prefer you didn't keep putting a personal damper on what will be a great tournament with extra prizes through gametraders sponsers and great attendance with the awesome people who come each year to QLD and have a blast. Think about your personal Vendetta a bit more Earl, and see if it's really worth it. Given that the rule won't be changing, and everyone else in the brawl scene doesn't seem to mind.

I would love it if you were able to attend Earl. I want to mm your Marth again with D3.

Bowser D.X

Brawl Player
Man I have to get to this tournament no matter what. I seriously feel all giddy inside at the thought of all the challengers.

J-Birds

Smash Lord
Australia doesn't have enough opportunities for all the best players to be at one tournament (what a major generally is) to justify 'seeing whether it will be a good or a bad thing'.
Out scene is too small to have attendance limited for an unnecessary reason.
I can accept the reasons for a ban in other countries but i don't think those reasons are heavily influential in the Australian scene. Attendance, growth and general happiness of the scene is far more important for us.
Kind of similar to wobbling being banned (stfu grim) and a lesser extent stages.

2c

also its like the only matchup i can stand playing in brawl C:

Jesmo

Smash Journeyman
Matt is right, very well said Scoot.

Still, it is of course just a matter of personal preference and Metaknight or no Metaknight I'm going to enjoy this Tournament. Looking forward to it.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
[collapse="tcg talk"]
Play Machamp Truth, not Conkelderp.

Machamp has the right HP and Damage output for Truth.
Conkeldurr has 220HP, yeah, but his damage is too low to knock stuff out.

Theorymoning here, but Truth w/Conkeldurr has to juggle too much damage and can't get stuff out of the way quickly enough to deal with it.

It would take 240 damage from Tornadus + Eviolite before knocking it out.

Machamp could 1 shot it with Champ Buster, and go for a 2 hko with Crushing Punch and discard Double Colorless in the process.
i was joking, conkeldurr truth is a deck i would play for funsies and nothing else, sort of like a pure fossil deck or firefly donk

if i were to actually compete i'd still use TZPS (im in america atm and i brought a TZPS deck in case i did get the chance to go to any CCs) simply because i think it's the best overall deck atm

machamp is cool atm, but the best truth deck atm is arguably donphan dragons truth with beach, possibly with machamp tech[/collapse]

Darkwing SykeDuk

Smash Dankist
I don't see why you'd save the mk ban for a major that could limit attendance rather than use it for ****ty minor tourneys like santasmash... Is it because its around the same date of the American ban? lololololooll sheepsheepsheepsheep

Qld only loses to scrubs/pocket mk's because YOUR ALL SO ****ING TERRIBLE AT BRAWL!! seriously 99% have made next to no significant improvement in like 2 years xD plus everyone knows this decision to ban him is PURELY ADEPTS. You've always been the biggest whining cry baby about mk.

Ima run a brawl tourney at lansmash, metaknight OONNNNNNN

swordsaint

Smash Master
It's always going to be opinion/preference.

And J-birds. What you say, is somewhat correct, but on the flipside, if we don't do anything now because he might not be a problem to us, what do we do if does, eventually become an issue? Do we ignore the issue, or do we ban him then? If we don't ban him, knowing he could become an issue and still let people who choose use him, learn to abuse him and then ban him, isn't it unfair to those who put more time in to him in the future? Sure the same could be said about banning him now, but we might as well stop it before it get's worse.

He's been on top since the beginning with no signs of slowing down. Imo, there's less issues (minus personal standards) in banning him now, than there is in waiting until it becomes a problem for us personally.

That said, I don't enjoy MK, and many brawlers don't. I think there's a higher level of happiness to existing players with him banned. Excluding the MK mains, obviously.

If the issue is growth for newcomers, then some leniency in first timers could solve that easily.

J-Birds

Smash Lord
Fair point, id suggest just take it as we have for the entire of brawls life and just wait and see, banning mk has been on the cards forever.
I don't think its anymore unfair than just banning him now, the difference in effort will be negligible.
Banning something that isn't a problem yet just to be safe doesn't sit right with me
What happens if fox's start being perfect and there is no way to deal with them in melee do we just ban him now?, a weak comparison but similar.

+1 play melee
+1 earl
I hope Earl comes and wrecks everyone without MK anyhow.

swordsaint

Smash Master
It's hardly 'just to be safe' though. It's proven that he's capable of being overly dominating. Australia's scene may be different to the US's, but it's still the same game. It's not really being safe for the sake of being safe. It's being safe because he's a proven problem in many other places. Which I think makes a discernible difference.

Though, debating about this at all, again is pointless. I think we're all pretty set in our views here right? Might as well just accept that some TO's will do it one way, others won't.

CaLibUr_1337

Smash Lord
I don't see why you'd save the mk ban for a major that could limit attendance rather than use it for ****ty minor tourneys like santasmash... Is it because its around the same date of the American ban? lololololooll sheepsheepsheepsheep

Qld only loses to scrubs/pocket mk's because YOUR ALL SO ****ING TERRIBLE AT BRAWL!! seriously 99% have made next to no significant improvement in like 2 years xD plus everyone knows this decision to ban him is PURELY ADEPTS. You've always been the biggest whining cry baby about mk.

Ima run a brawl tourney at lansmash, metaknight OONNNNNNN

^ Lol whatthe****amireading?

I pretty much agree with Scoot on this one.

Anyways it's easier just to deal with the ban and see what happens, not that many BRAWLERS actually care about it. If it turns out to be a terrible decision for the community then lesson learned.

Also more people should give Melee a go. As Zac said no MK in that game. :p

Remastered

Smash Lord
I actually have begun to enjoy reading Zac's posts, just for the lol's.

Anyway, now that I'm not maining MK anymore, I want to mm people using Luigi/D3 at this tourney. Anyone keen?

Also Scoot are you coming up for this one? I promise we won't make jokes about your birth this time.... much...... maybe a little....

swordsaint

Smash Master
I'll try Matt. I'm not sure what's happening around those dates quite yet or whether I'll have the money atm. I'll know within the next couple of weeks.

Will you house me thoug? :p

Jesmo

Smash Journeyman
Scoot, I can't agree with the "What if he does become dominant here?" thing. You can't ban a character for what they might do in the future imo.

You're saying "Isn't it more unfair to ban him when he becomes dominant after people put time and effort into him?" Maybe, but it's ludicrous to ban him before that based on the reason that one day he might be dominant here. It's giving a sentence before they've commited the crime. And it's been four years. I doubt Metaknight would ever become truly dominant here.

I agree with most of what you say but I can't agree with that particular argument.

On another note, without Metaknight, we still (Maybe even more then ever) need a LG limit. Too many stupid games without it.

swordsaint

Smash Master
Scoot, I can't agree with the "What if he does become dominant here?" thing. You can't ban a character for what they might do in the future imo.

You're saying "Isn't it more unfair to ban him when he becomes dominant after people put time and effort into him?" Maybe, but it's ludicrous to ban him before that based on the reason that one day he might be dominant here. It's giving a sentence before they've commited the crime. And it's been four years. I doubt Metaknight would ever become truly dominant here.

I agree with most of what you say but I can't agree with that particular argument.

On another note, without Metaknight, we still (Maybe even more then ever) need a LG limit. Too many stupid games without it.
Well, like I said. It's pointless to continue. Read what I said again. My counter to this exists in what I've already said. There are specifics in that particular argument that address that issue.

Jesmo

Smash Journeyman
It doesn't really matter to me what your reasons are to be honest, Scoot. I'd never ban a character based on that logic. I just think it's silly to do something like that before the reasons for that action actually take place. No matter what counter arguments you present me with.

Sorry if you don't want to continue. I thought it was just a simple debate.

swordsaint

Smash Master
I would normally agree though. Banning something that is not yet an issue, would normally be wrong. There's many variables here though, which is why it's not that simple.

And what you said is exactly why continuing it was pointless imo. I don't see the reason in debate if there's absolutely zero chance either side will have a change in opinion. If I don't feel like I convince you, then what is the point?
We disagree on principle. And how can we have a simple debate if you don't care what my reasons are or won't change no matter what counter arguments you're presented with? Seems kind of flawed. :p

Jesmo

Smash Journeyman
Well Scoot, I wasn't trying to convince you. I thought we were just getting our point across. It doesn't have to be about convincing, just about seeing where everyone is coming from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom