• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

| QLD Autumn LAN 2k9 | Melee/Brawl | Results Page 45

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ACCELERATE

Smash Lord
Classification of Random/Neutral Stages:

"Small" or "Medium" sized boundaries

One "solid" floor of appropriate length

No vertical walls

No solid ceilings

No walk-off platforms

No screen scrolling

No environmental damage

No stage elements that disrupt competitive play

Classification of Counter Stages:

As above except:

Random elements with little impact on the players (e.g. random platform movement)

Minor environmental damage

Minor screen-movement

Classification of Banned Stages:

'Walk-off' screens (e.g. Bridge of Eldin)

Vertical walls (e.g. Corneria)

Excessive scrolling (e.g. Rumble Falls)

Major environmental damage (e.g. Port Town Aero Drive)

A design that invites camping/keep-away/stalling (e.g. Temple)

Highly disruptive stage elements (e.g. Skyworld)

With those classifications in place we get the following stages:
Neutral Stages

Battlefield

Final Destination

Smashville

Counter Pick Stages

Lylat Cruise

Yoshi's Island

Frigate Orpheon*

Battleship Halberd*

Brinstar (Melee)*

Imo.

xXArrowXx

Smash Champion
counterpicks should be like anything imo XD stage elements make captain falcon higher on the tier imo =D
if u are still doing that rule that u pick stage before characters then u can avoid fatal weakness =P
plus dodge the cars >.> then its not even a flesh wound.

and yes port town does work against certain people >.>

Amaterasu

Smash Ace
Chris, need to play you when I get back from Melb, been missing your pikmin, samus, diddy, (insert every other character)!

Anyway, with your neutral list why isn't Yoshi's stage on it?

Edot Again: No, can't figure it out. The stage isn't small, the only thing against it is that it has a tilting platform and the ghost, but I don't see how that is much worse compared to the moving platform on Smashville

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Classification of Random/Neutral Stages:

"Small" or "Medium" sized boundaries

One "solid" floor of appropriate length

No vertical walls

No solid ceilings

No walk-off platforms

No screen scrolling

No environmental damage

No stage elements that disrupt competitive play

Classification of Counter Stages:

As above except:

Random elements with little impact on the players (e.g. random platform movement)

Minor environmental damage

Minor screen-movement

Classification of Banned Stages:

'Walk-off' screens (e.g. Bridge of Eldin)

Vertical walls (e.g. Corneria)

Excessive scrolling (e.g. Rumble Falls)

Major environmental damage (e.g. Port Town Aero Drive)

A design that invites camping/keep-away/stalling (e.g. Temple)

Highly disruptive stage elements (e.g. Skyworld)

With those classifications in place we get the following stages:
Neutral Stages

Battlefield

Final Destination

Smashville

Counter Pick Stages

Lylat Cruise

Yoshi's Island

Frigate Orpheon*

Battleship Halberd*

Brinstar (Melee)*

Imo.
What are you doing reading random threads in Atlantic South?

Just....no....

Neutral Stages
- Small or Medium sized boundaries
- One solid floor of appropriate length
- No vertical walls
- No solid ceilings
- No walk-off platforms
- No screen scrolling
- No environmental damage
- No stage elements that disrupt competitive play

Final Destination
Battlefield
Smashville
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)

Counterpick Stages
- Stage movement that is not overly disruptive
- Short-term walls
- Short-term ceilings
- Short-term walk offs
- Predictable and/or minor short-term environmental damage

Lylat
Brinstar
Delfino
Castle Siege
Halberd
Pokemon Stadium 1
Rainbow Cruise
Frigate Orpheon
Norfair

Banned Stage Classification
- Permanent walk offs
- Unpredictable and/or fatal environmental damage
- Permanent walls
- Permanent ceilings
- Size that promotes excessive camping
- Extreme blast zones
- Excessive stage movement
- Highly disruptive stage elements (Skyworld)
Yoshi's Island (Brawl) is more neutral than Final Destination. A flat stage without platforms makes for a very one sided match against a skilled Diddy/Snake/ROB/Anyone who benefits from so much open space.

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
Yoshi's Island is reeeaaaaallly good for Wolf.

And naturally the most feared stage for any Ness/Lucas main, moreso than any other counterpicks. I'd play FD against ROB/Falco/Diddy over Yoshi's Island anyday.

Sieg

Smash Champion
I want my phone back T_T
Who has it lol, I'll get it back on Saturday if I can. But I dunno how I can get it to you unless you come in lol.

Jungle Japes. We've had this discussion before. I thought we deemed that the timed damage element was a tactical advantage/not really environmental damage/predictable.

Y/N?

Bigger Edit: To be honest, I kind of agree with Arrow here after reading his post. I'd like to see a stage list with no stages banned. It would be interesting to see what would happen to the tier list with all stages avaliable for play. In that regard, you could either keep counters/normals or just outright make every stage a normal.

I think in general this would make for a funner, more interesting tournament. Obviously people would be like.

John: "I lost because of stage X/Y."

But I as I said I believe this would make things more fun for everyone.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Who has it lol, I'll get it back on Saturday if I can. But I dunno how I can get it to you unless you come in lol.

Jungle Japes. We've had this discussion before. I thought we deemed that the timed damage element was a tactical advantage/not really environmental damage/predictable.

Y/N?
I've got it remember? I'll probably come into Target on Saturday and give it to you (And his ipod).

Also I know what you're trying to say about Japes, but it's other things too. Falco is extremely cheap on Japes. Scrubs will tell you. It's how I beat his Dedede.

Port Town has completely predictable hazards, but, it teeters on counter/banned as well.

I'd like to address Starter stages first though. Firstly, we need 5. I think 3 starters is dangerously low (even if most of the time those three are the ones chosen through stage striking).

The following four stages need to be starters:

Final Destination
Battlefield
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Smashville

The last slot needs to be taken by something. Traditionally it's Lylat Cruise, but as we know it's pretty controversial when it comes to being a starter.

I think the most neutral stages to choose from are Pokemon Stadium 1, Lylat Cruise, Delfino or Castle Siege.

Poke Stadium:

Adv:
- Nice flat stage
- Two platforms
- Transformations are mostly balanced and not permanent

Con:
- Transformations disruptive
- Creates Walls for abuse/camping
- Edges are 'gay' (Not a good reason)

Summary:
This almost definitely should be included as a starter. The things that let it down are the campiness of the transformations 2/4 times (Not a problem in Melee as it is in Brawl). Edges are only about as homo as the tilt of Lylat -> Just have to learn them and get used to them. If you don't want to face the opponent on this stage, strike it from the starter list.

Lylat Cruise:
Adv:
- Single definite platform
- Three platforms

Con:
- It tilts from side to side
- It's already 'hill' like in structure, so it makes for a very uneven surface.

Summary:
This is a traditional starter stage. Though it's good at gimping recoveries and a combination of its tilting platform and curved stage make it generally a battle just to get positioning right. I myself don't have a problem with the stage at all, but, these are quite valid reasons as to why it should be booted off the starter list.

Delfino Plaza:
Adv:
- Flat stage with varying platforms (most of the time)
- Transformations not permanent

Cons:
- Terrible transformations can be abused by certain characters

Summary:
Quite simply, Pokemon Stadium 1 is more neutral than this stage, not to mention those lame glitches that remind me of Poke Floats (It happened to me just the other day, I fell through the stage rofl).

This is just like Poke Stadium, only some transformations have walkoffs and water.

Castle Siege:
Adv:
- Flat Stage
- Varying Platforms preventing projectile camping and walkoff abuse
- Transformations extremely predictable (They never change in order)

Cons:
- One transformation has a walkoff
- Statues stop projectiles -> Whether that's good or bad is Subjective (And they are breakable)

Summary:
Honestly, if I had to choose between this stage and Pokemon Stadium 1 for the last slot on the starter list, I'd pick this one. The only thing inherently wrong is that one of the transformations has a walkoff on either side.

Because of this wonderful thing called stage striking you don't have to play on this stage if you perceive your opponent to be one to attempt to abuse this. (Every matchup outside of Dedede should be able to play on this stage without too much hassle).

Even if you do end up facing Dedede here, you can simply camp the multiple platforms and play keep away until the transformation ends.

---

Stage Striking:

I assume you all remember what stage striking is. Stage striking I think will work better with a smaller amount of stages (Or will be used more) because it's not hard to remember the list and isn't really a chore anymore to remember stages. 5 is the right number for it because it allows for reasonable diversity, without being too much for the strikers to remember.

If you don't like Yoshi's Island (Brawl) and Castle Siege? Strike em! Simple as that.

Sieg

Smash Champion
Oh, that's what you meant by that. I thought someone in the arcade had it lol.

Bigger Edit: To be honest, I kind of agree with Arrow here after reading his post. I'd like to see a stage list with no stages banned. It would be interesting to see what would happen to the tier list with all stages avaliable for play. In that regard, you could either keep counters/normals or just outright make every stage a normal.

I think in general this would make for a funner, more interesting tournament. Obviously people would be like.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer

Saying that is rather subjective. Not everyone enjoys trying to play a serious match on Hyrule and New Pork City. Stages like that are banned because of circle camping, not because we don't like fun.

It's because they don't promote the qualities looked for in competitive stages and because they can be rediculously abused. Pick sonic, get a % lead, then run around Hyrule. GG.

That being said, if someone wants to run a tournament like that, I'd fully support it :D
EDIT: We could have a LOL side tournament or something rofl. Or have a LOL tournament at Bobs next time.

It's not that I wouldn't go to a tournament running that setup, it's just that I don't want to take out the time to do it myself. So you or Arrow or someone should do it if you actually do want to do a tournament like that.

Sieg

Smash Champion
I think it could work properly if you implemented something like the stage striking rule.

Meh, food for thought.

Sieg

Smash Champion
Hey, you can't call out flaws on the system you implemented lol.

Well you can do it, but it's not very smart lol.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Hey, you can't call out flaws on the system you implemented lol.

Well you can do it, but it's not very smart lol.
It's flawed when using too many stages. It just takes too long.

I've seen this myself at past tournaments where people simply opted to not do it because it was too complicated with too many stages :(

With a low number like 5 I think people might receive the idea a little better.

2 stop the camping no time limit =D XD
Why is there a shot clock in Basketball?

EDIT:
It's annoying because that theory does work, and would stop things like planking.
But would also introduce situations where matches will go for 10 minutes or longer and from purely a logistical perspective, it hampers tournament progress.

Sieg

Smash Champion
Time limits and non limits present camping in two very different ways lol.

Even with 5 stages I've never bothered to use it.

Does anyone other than Antho use SS? Or do you just skip it. Random ftw.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
We've never done stage striking with only 5 stages. Which is why we need to test it in a situation with less stages to remember.

Stage striking is there for the competitive players to use to ensure they don't get shafted on the starter.
I know players other than me used it, but the problem is that with too many stages the procedure was too complicated for some people to do.

With 5 stages you virtually have no excuse not to do it.

EDIT: Quickly Michael, 33 posts til SMASH LORD

Sieg

Smash Champion
I know we've never done it with 5, I probably won't do it with 5 though. But that's just my laziness.

I don't need an excuse not to do it lol.

Quick, argue some random arbitrary smash rule for the next 32 posts.

Sieg

Smash Champion
I just followed Antho's post.

I blame him.

Twenty one.

EDIT: Cannot see poster at work lol.

Fail host.

ACCELERATE

Smash Lord
Atlantic south... Ahh No. i don't even know who that is. I was discussing that list on aib actually.

Also anthony you cant compare the stage list to character advantages on them. As you can see this list is made purely to premote competive play. Like the last M2K vs. DSF final. They went smashville every match.
Melees the same why should brawl be any different. Ahh i just hope BR thinks this way.

So what is this tournaments stage list?

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Atlantic south... Ahh No. i don't even know who that is. I was discussing that list on aib actually.

Also anthony you cant compare the stage list to character advantages on them.
Why can't I? I'm not citing characters as reasons, I'm merely expressing a few examples. It would be highly impractical to take every possible matchup into account when considering stage legality.

I'm taking the nature of Brawl as a game, how it is played, it's goal, then stating reasons as to why 'x' stage should be allowed or not.

There are characters that benefit and those that don't from the existence or lack of stage elements. But as you said, and as I've kept in mind, individual characters are not influencing my previous appraisals of each stage for consideration.

As you can see this list is made purely to premote competive play.
Whether it does promote competitive play is entirely subjective. The Japanese Melee stage list had a whopping 2 stages. But no other country (as far as I know) have opted to adopt it. It could just as easily be said that having a wider knowledge of stages can be another facet of player skill, and be considered another side of a player's competitive skill set.

Like the last M2K vs. DSF final. They went smashville every match.
Players will do that if they want. It's a rule that players can agree on playing even banned stages if both players want it. Doesn't mean we should force it on people by having an extremely limited stage list.

Melees the same why should brawl be any different.
Not a good reason. They are two different games anyway.

Ahh i just hope BR thinks this way.
If you've paid attention to some of the different stage lists made by BR members and posted public ally, some are very liberal, or in the case of yours, some very conservative.

So what is this tournaments stage list?
That's what we're debating right now.

EDIT: All that being said. I'd love to try a limited stage list tournament as well. Again, it's not something I myself am willing to make time for though. So if you or anybody else wants to host a tournament. Talk to Billy about getting the PCYC booked out and start planning!

EDIT2: The reason why I won't implement a super limited stage list (such as the one you suggested) is because I want to host tournaments that are competitive, but still offer enough variety to attract new people to it.

As I said. I'd love to compete in a a tournament with a limited stage list, so host one!

l3oOkeR

Smash Ace
I think as long as all the Metroid Stages are Banned we should be fine.

Also i think the 4 Starter stages are good with the 5th being Pokemon Stadium 1. Castle Seig is ok but 2nd transformation kills it.

Also Stage striking i wasnt a fan of even with 5 stages im like michael and would be to lazy to do it. Im happy with a random start if you have them 5 stages on you have to play on what ever shows up. Each person should get to ban 1 stage of there choice out of the whole list(other then starter 5. Then i think Arrows idea should come into play, Who ever loses gets to pick what ever stage they want to play on other then the stages that where banned by said players. The point of picking a counter pick is to gain another advantage. Arrow could pick port town and win it giving you an awesome decider, Bob could pick stupid ice climbers level what ever its called. ill pick shadow moses and ice block lock you into the wall till 200% and **** win lol. Either way i think we should look at something liek this

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
*Sieg wins Rock, paper, scissors*
Billy: I strike Castle Siege
Sieg: I strike Yoshi's
Billy: I strike Final Destination
Sieg: I strike Battlefield

Took 20 seconds and creates the most fair outcome for both players AND is quicker than stage cancels in the long run. If you're lazy then this is better than going into a match, cancelling, re-randoming, cancelling, re-randoming, having to re-random because the stage that came up is a previously cancelled one etc.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Who ever loses gets to pick what ever stage they want to play on other then the stages that where banned by said players.
Again, stages like Hyrule, Spear Pillar and New Pork City do not promote competitive play. Unless you think getting one hit on the opponent and running away for 8 minutes is fun.

I would sooner legalize MK's Infinite Dimensional Cape. That at least is harder to do than running away for 8 minutes.

Moose said:
TOO. MUCH. EFFORT. JUST WANT TO PLAY

shaddap
If we're not doing 2 minute item free-for-all's then we have to. These rulesets don't come out of thin air. If you don't care what the ruleset is that's fine, but others do, and that's why we're here. This is a forum. Somebody starts a topic, others post responses.

EDIT: I just realised what you said could be a response to Billy/Michael, but I assume it's me...

I'm feeling very defensive atm cause I'm in forum debate mode >.<

Sieg

Smash Champion
Since the anime is pretty bloody old, I'd say it was during that.

But then again, the anime could be based off the game.

ACCELERATE

Smash Lord
US brawl and Wii? If it works i'll take it.

Anthonys response to any decent rebutle: Your point is entirely subjective. Explain why dont use english as a cover up.

And if the list is what were debating but you won't take any opinon but your own. Then why are we debating. Its your tournament post your list and lets move on.

l3oOkeR

Smash Ace
No antho what i was saying is you have no stage cancels at all. You both Ban 1 stage at the start thats all you get. other then that the first round is played out on random with the first 5 stages. what ever it is thats what it stuck on. Then the loser gets to pick any stage they want other then the 2 stages banned at the start. and so on (Y) perfect

Sieg

Smash Champion
My opinion is entirly my own.

Hur Dur let's play Jungle Japes only.

But seriously. Add Jungle Japes to your list.

xXArrowXx

Smash Champion
falco japes is pro lol

well as far as stage striking goes.. is it finiding stage so its middle ground to their characters or the middle ground to thier playing styles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom