• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A thread ASK QUESTIONS HERE.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Blech, hate usmash, more situational than dsmash against a good opponent imo.
There's like a few traps where it's useful (lol Spire combo) but I actually think dsmash > usmash.
meh, IRC was were it was at, now it comes in small spurts in activity.

Browny

Smash Hater
pioneered?

lmao. usmash is bad. Lucario's worst attack imo. Dash attack is close, but at least it does reasnoable damage :/ sure usmash has a reasonable reward for a moderate risk, but the chance you will actually get to land a usmash negates that to a large extent.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Dash attack also sets up for tons of stuff actually (especially the weak hit, gives you a free grab), it's also a makeshift punish option (comes out on frame 7), I think the worst attacks are DT, usmash, and FP flame imo.

Aurasmash14

Smash Lord
FP flame wouldnt be so bad if it wasnt only 1 frame >_>

I still firmly believe Dtilt is gewd. its damage is crap though.

I believe Lucario's smashes are not combat-worthy, just another option to use.

DT=LOLOLOLOLOLOL never mention terribad move again lol.

Milln

Smash Champion
Yeah it has reasonal reward for moderate risk. It also stays out for until next match. I do what other people do with fighting game moves and find a use for it. =D It's hot. Hot, Sexy, Blue Fire.

Dash attack definitely does set stuff up including as you said: grab/fpgrab or utilt or something. Strong hit sets up utaunt combo.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I don't know if this is known or not but I think I found something with Lucario but it needs testing.

I think BAS can do something Similar to a jab lock.

I was looking at the Japanese videos and noticed when BAS connected the opponent bounced, simular to when Link uses arrows to stun opponents on the ground to set up something.

So if Lucario could find someway to force the opponent into the helpless on the ground animation and do a BAS, he can get potentially kill set-ups.

I know the following things about this,

Lucario can't follow up with another BAS, it forces the opponent up and standing.
You can follow up with pretty much anything.

I'm not sure if this is legit yet, nor am I sure if Lucario has anything that can force the opponent into the ground helpless state.

iRJi

Smash Champion
I posted something about that already. It does jab lock, but you have to be about 80% in order to do it. BUT, AS is too slow in order to continue the jab lock, so you only get one, which forces him to stand afterwards. Use it to your advantage, it will rarely happen though.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I tried it against my friend, My dair sent him into the ground and he missed the tech, I threw a BAS and locked him for a free Fsmash.

Still, Lucario doesn't have much to set this up.

Good to know this was known.

tedward2000

Smash Champion
I don't know ... the ground helpless state.
To answer this:
which RJ also said...

But, you can only get about one BS for the stun to work, after that you dont have much time.
Plus lucario doesn't have many options to get people into the tip options, and so and such.

You have better options to just throw bas's out at random to do stuff then to get trip combos.
-t2

iRJi

Smash Champion
DT has uses. LOL

I made this whole long page on word on how DT resembles the original game mechanics, and that people think abotu it improperly in terms of a move, but never posted it LOL. I don't think I will either, this is more of a mindset thing then an actual discovery, and of course people will be judgmental about it and not take it the right way. Outside of that however, it is useable to D3's Up B =]. It actually is useful for it, thb. Still, it does not change the fact that it is a lackluster move overall though.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Fair->footstool->dair->uncharged AS can lock most heavy/big characters at 0 percent. You would have to read their DI from dair and assume they don't tech/jump, but it does work. Locking with AS in general is funny...it's not good, but it gives a free followup.

Vionce

Smash Journeyman
Lucario's aura modifiers change based on how many stocks he has relative to his opponent(s) and how much damage he has. Do the modifiers work the same way as in time and coin matches, and is there a cap of 2 stocks/points behind? What about in classic mode? Since he has 5 stocks, would that give him a decreased aura modifier? (since most opponents have only 1)

Broletariat

Smash Cadet
I main Snake with a Lucario backup(thinking about switching). I enjoy Snake because I can force people to react a certain way nine times out of ten. I was just curious, but does anybody here play their Lucario like that, and if so, wanna give me a rundown?

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
There are a lot of moments where you can get a reaction to work in your favor. For example, uthrow forces certain patterns of behavior. Jab1 imo is a great one, especially if you've conditioned them (you can get a free fsmash or aerial with this move). There's a plethora, but Snake is by far one that's more of the "I read you and you die" sort of deal, although Lucario can exhibit some of the same features especially at higher percents.

Aurasmash14

Smash Lord
Uthrow is definitely one of Lucario's b est moves to get a reaction you want.

although i like following jab1 to jab 2 before i start with the mixing :p

Broletariat

Smash Cadet
Thanks guys, I started using my up throw and then cancelling my jabs into an fsmash. It doesn't work to well on mouth breathing new people who hit buttons while screaming pew pew lasers, but on the smarter ones it did. My next question is this: I charge up my aura sphere, And dodge backwards, away from the way I was facing. I shoot big sphere thingy. Why is it that I end up facing the wrong way?*(Odd wording: I shoot the sphere the wrong way.) I spent a half an hour in training mode trying to figure it out, but it keeps happening at the worst possible times.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Because it's reversable, you can even get a b-reversal effect out of it, so learn how to control the subtle flicks of your control stick to get a better handling, it's definitely worth it.

ace156

Smash Apprentice
edit:

ignore this post. i made a mistake and mistook an an AT of Brawl+ as regular brawl, my apologies

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Neutral leaning towards bad, it's probably his worst neutral stage overall, but he still pull through pretty well on it imo, and on some MUs like Diddy it's a great stage to play, the main problem is that Lucario's only real strength in platform control/use is sharking pretty well and controlling the middle, he can't abuse plats like MK, Marth, or Wario can.

Vionce

Smash Journeyman
There's really nothing about BF itself that makes BF a bad stage for lucario. What makes it neutral to bad is that there are many characters who gain more advantages than lucario does on BF.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
^That's a good summation of why.

Lucario does okay with plat control, but others are soooo much better.

imo he does have some extra gimmicks on BF that are a bit of a combination of SV and FD's benefits, like a platform to aim ES on top of a platform to help reduce risk of punishment and a walljumpable (not to be confused with wallclingable) edge.

Milln

Smash Champion
Battlefield kills a Lucario trying to ESpeed if his dreadlocks are anywhere NEAR the edge while someone's hanging on it. It's bs.

Ok guys cuz im lazy got a few questions

1: How do you use IASA frames??? i understand what IASA means but i dont get how to use it...

2: surely theres this apparent infinite rumor going around, has any work been done on that? or could anyone explain it?

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Ok guys cuz im lazy got a few questions

1: How do you use IASA frames??? i understand what IASA means but i dont get how to use it...

2: surely theres this apparent infinite rumor going around, has any work been done on that? or could anyone explain it?
1. It just means the rest of the move past a point is purely cosmetic, and can be interrupted into any action you wish as if the move ended completely on that frame. A great example is Ganondorf's Usmash. As soon as he begins moving his leg back down, you can move again.

2. The infinite is just a bunch of poppycock.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
It's not an infinite, we don't have it confirmed yet whether it even does 30% iirc. Basically in the words of Gage, "don't worry your sweet little head" lol

And yes, Kita's right. A big misconception is that IASA is only in moves where it's apparent (aka Marth/MK dtilt), when in reality it's much more. This actually helps when learning to buffer moves, so you can transition through things more quickly (imo a good playstyle that incorporates a lot of "flow" like this is Trela's, you'll notice that he seems to slip from one move to another really well)

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
It's not an infinite, we don't have it confirmed yet whether it even does 30% iirc. Basically in the words of Gage, "don't worry your sweet little head" lol

And yes, Kita's right. A big misconception is that IASA is only in moves where it's apparent (aka Marth/MK dtilt), when in reality it's much more. This actually helps when learning to buffer moves, so you can transition through things more quickly (imo a good playstyle that incorporates a lot of "flow" like this is Trela's, you'll notice that he seems to slip from one move to another really well)
"Flow?"

lol. Flows in that sense are overrated when applied to brawl imo. A better example of a flow would be Darkrain in Melee. It's REALLY easy to tell when he's on his flow and when he's not, because he's either ****** people or getting destroyed with no gray area. In Brawl, though, the flow of a match is almost entirely mental, and much much easier to change than in Melee, imo.

IASA is generally used moreso for baiting or determining a safety for most characters rather than for followups, imo. Sure, there're some exceptions, like MK's dtilt, but meh, I can't think of very many moves whose sheer IASA frames allow you to get into any sort of "flow" or even a guaranteed followup...

But yeah, using IASA frames with buffering can make your overall actions faster, I guess.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I'm not saying that is the only application for this.

But you do have to admit it's what separates mid level from high level play in terms of Lucario. True that Brawl doesn't benefit offensive measures, but you can see that the it does work the other way around. Tell me that when you see a lucario like Zucco or Trela, then another not-as-good lucario, and say that it isn't apparent.

Broletariat

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, I've got to make a decision, and I need your help!

With Lucario as a main, who else should I concentrate on to cover up bad MUs? I'm looking at Snake/IC. Thoughts? Snide Remarks?

Milln

Smash Champion
Might as well just go Snake all the way and secondary Lucario instead if you're gonna do that.

Broletariat

Smash Cadet
Hmm, I enjoy the play style of Lucario too much(still a game for fun =P). I was just looking for a back up for those matches that just make me cringe.

Milln

Smash Champion
Then develop or adapt your Lucario to where playing those matches are no longer a problem. It's only not fun because you lose or have a difficult time, right? Switch how you play to lessen your problem, therefore creating fun. Invent shiz that works.

Alternatively, you can have fun no matter what and laugh your head off every time you trip, the way Sakurai intended. <3

Broletariat

Smash Cadet
Alright, I'll keep that in mind, thanks again for your help. Btw, your videos are snawsome.

EDIT: Oh yeah, my question. If launched off the map horizontally, is it possible to simply do a B-reversal to stop your momentum? I can't seem to get the timing right, or maybe it isn't possible.

Top Bottom