• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Protip: If you guys don't want MK banned, start doing something about it.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
I'm not going to make a long essay about this. I'm going to use bullets, because I have better things to do.

• Start participating in Matchup Discussion. No, not just your own matchup discussion. Other people's matchup discussion. When someone makes a topic like, say, "MK vs. ROB", and you refuse to help with the matchup at all, you come off as immature. You're Planking the Metagame - stalling it so you can continue your streak of uncontested dominance as long as you can...before your character is banned, anyway. Wouldn't it be better to get out there and give people tips on how to beat you so your character won't get banned? Really now. Why do you think nobody likes Mew2King? (Hint: It's not his poor social skills!)
  • If you're better then your opponents, start sandbagging. It'll make people think they have a chance against you instead of giving up immediately. Oh, don't complain: "We shouldn't have to purposefully play worse just because we're better then them!" isn't a valid excuse, it's just a stupid john. If you really didn't want to get your character banned, you'd make minor sacrifices in order to PROGRESS THE METAGAME (omg no way) and make people think "Hey, I just did pretty good against this Meta Knight player. Maybe he's not as broken as I thought - I'll work harder now!"
  • Don't Plank. Don't spam tornado. Don't spam Up-B. Don't spam Dsmash. Just don't spam. It's easy to beat - it's a scrub strategy, after all. But it's really not fun to play against. You look like an idiot, and the person playing against you gets agitated. And if you want them to get agitated, you're a huge ****. Go play something else and leave the Smash Fanbase alone. You say playing to win, the rest of the smash community says you're gay and stops playing. And I know some idiot is going to come in and quote Sirlin in here, because Sirlin is all the rage these days. So I'll just ask you: Is it more important for you to win $70 at your local tournament, or have people actually want to play you? If you answered the first one, GJ killing the metagame over $70. Nice priorities, bro.

Gaussis

Smash Ace
People hate M2K!?!??!

I do agree that MKs should do something about it, but to say to sandbag is simply insulting to the opponent IMO. Spamming is annoying though.

Tenki

Smash Hero
  • Start participating in Matchup Discussion. No, not just your own matchup discussion. Other people's matchup discussion. When someone makes a topic like, say, "MK vs. ROB", and you refuse to help with the matchup at all, you come off as immature. You're Planking the Metagame - stalling it so you can continue your streak of uncontested dominance as long as you can...before your character is banned, anyway. Wouldn't it be better to get out there and give people tips on how to beat you so your character won't get banned? Really now. Why do you think nobody likes Mew2King? (Hint: It's not his poor social skills!)

• This might be good. >_> It bothers me when someone brings up "ok, _____ vs MK" and then some idiot comes by and says something like "lol mk pfff 70:30 priorityspeedl olz"

[*]If you're better then your opponents, start sandbagging. It'll make people think they have a chance against you instead of giving up immediately. Oh, don't complain: "We shouldn't have to purposefully play worse just because we're better then them!" isn't a valid excuse, it's just a stupid john. If you really didn't want to get your character banned, you'd make minor sacrifices in order to PROGRESS THE METAGAME (omg no way) and make people think "Hey, I just did pretty good against this Meta Knight player. Maybe he's not as broken as I thought - I'll work harder now!"
    That's double edged. Sure, it'll give people some hope, but does it really help them learn the matchup?

[*]Don't Plank. Don't spam tornado. Don't spam Up-B. Don't spam Dsmash. Just don't spam. It's easy to beat - it's a scrub strategy, after all. But it's really not fun to play against. You look like an idiot, and the person playing against you gets agitated. And if you want them to get agitated, you're a huge ****. Go play something else and leave the Smash Fanbase alone. You say playing to win, the rest of the smash community says you're gay and stops playing. And I know some idiot is going to come in and quote Sirlin in here, because Sirlin is all the rage these days. So I'll just ask you: Is it more important for you to win $70 at your local tournament, or have people actually want to play you? If you answered the first one, GJ killing the metagame over $70. Nice priorities, bro.
Those are all punishable o_o;

Planking, well that depends on your character. But tornado, up-B spam, d-smash spam - yeah, D-smash spam. It's punishable. Tornado and D-smash have almost 30 frames (half a second) of down time, and up-B is punishable out of shield.

Most people hold shield way too long against MK and just sit there wasting time instead of trying to punish MK.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
That's double edged. Sure, it'll give people some hope, but does it really help them learn the matchup?

Considering how far ahead of the rest of the metagame MK is...yeah, sadly. Baby steps.

Those are all punishable o_o;

As I said they were. I said they were easy to beat. I just said it's annoying and not supportive of a healthy metagame.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Would be great for MKs to help advance the metagame of other characters more.
Problem is, most MK users don't know how other characters can effectively fight MK.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
i only main mk and dk and know exactly how a dk should fight an mk and vise versa, we just need mk mainers to broaden their own character usages as to learn what to do against these particular characters and vise versa lol.

TKD

Smash Lord
Don't Plank.
Planking = stalling
Stalling = banned

10lolz

Meta Knight players should look for characters they can avoid dittoes as, to find characters and tactics against the alleged god tier character. If we contribute to learning how to beat MK without MK, us MK players will be more useful to everyone.

These characters are promising in that aspect:
Snake
Yoshi
Olimar
Zero Suit Samus
G&W
Falco

And others I haven't thought of, of course. We know our character. We've GOTTA know how to beat it, right?

**goes to play as Snake**

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Sometimes you have to spam to win. Like I was playing against a Luigi today who was only spamming acids balls and and he was ****** me in the first stock, then I realized I need to use my mach tornado more to out prioritize those acid balls instead of shield them, once I did that, that ended with me winning the match.

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
MK mains shouldn't have to hold back, and doing so is actually bad for the game. If we intentionally hold back parts of the game, no counter is ever found and we never get over that stumbling block.

We should play him out to his fullest extent and let the meta-game develop as it does. If the community then decides he is ban-worthy, then we'll move on from there. Holding back as MK in the hopes of preventing a ban is an insult to competitive play.

meta master

Smash Journeyman
MK mains shouldn't have to hold back, and doing so is actually bad for the game. If we intentionally hold back parts of the game, no counter is ever found and we never get over that stumbling block.

We should play him out to his fullest extent and let the meta-game develop as it does. If the community then decides he is ban-worthy, then we'll move on from there. Holding back as MK in the hopes of preventing a ban is an insult to competitive play.
agreed. but there still are many disadvantages to doing this...

Deoxys

Smash Lord
Oh ****, prepare to be flamed plank.
You're sort of half an hour late to say that...

Planking = stalling
Stalling = banned

10lolz
10lolz :p

Seriously, let's stop blaming the MK mains for having such a hard character to play against. Just because our character is amazing doesn't mean we're douches for not individually contributing 200% as much as much as other mains or something.

Nic64

Smash Lord
Seriously, let's stop blaming the MK mains for having such a hard character to play against. Just because our character is amazing doesn't mean we're douches for not individually contributing 200% as much as much as other mains or something.
This topic doesn't appear to cast blame on anyone, it's simply stating that it would be beneficial for MK mains to help other characters out lest their main be banned. The sandbagging point is pretty lol however IMO, going easy on someone doesn't help them get better.

xXZeroXx

Smash Cadet
But, I always know when someone is not doing his best in a fight, it wouldn't result, and I, as Marth, would feel really patethic for winning a MK who just hold back. Or even losing to a MK who didn't need to play his best to win xddd. I don't think that's the solution. Giving tips to win MK IS useful though

blacklion

Smash Rookie
mew2king actually did a post on how to beat meta knight. i think the social skills is the reasoning.

Ray/Boshi

Smash Journeyman
MetaKnight will not be banned. Don't believe the hype. (Unless the TO says otherwise)

I disagree with everything the OP stated except on being helpful when asked a question regarding the matchup vs. MetaKnight. By all means lean them in the right direction. I'm not saying leak out all of your hard earned trial & error tips an tricks of the trade that you yourself learned off of hours/countless matches off of your own time. To the masses or anything. Just be helpful an courteous to the fellow smashboard community is all.

For example, m2k/azen/anther/ect. If they let the world know all that they've learned & acquired. On their own personal dedicated free time at that. Brawl would be very boring game. As well as making things more difficult on them tourney wise.

Your favorite character to play as on Brawl just so happens to be the best pro/con wise out of the whole roster. Or favorite to use $ wise in Tourney for some other people. Easy goldmine. Stand a better chance using the best character the roster has to offer. Doesnt necassarily mean you'l outright win or anything though.

Additional. My opinion on the matter.

Brawl. Unlike Melee. Is enormous. The fanbase is huge, and the online, recorded aspect of it is even larger. Everybody has video's up for the world to see. Everybody plays online, learning off of opponets endlessly. Variety of different playing styles have already been seen/copied/mimic'd. In Melee, the only good players were the ones attending tourneys. Very few online vids. People learned & copied off of each other & what they have seen visually, as well as lost to. In Brawl, it's all there. Out in the open for the world to see. As well as read via Smashboards. Alot of new registered users here after Brawls release.

The metagame is very close to being there already. It has been reached in my opinion. All that's left is the move against move, right rock,paper,scissors retaliation move, to use at an oppurtune time, and ect.

Combo strings an such. And most importantly. The art & skill called prediction. Which some people understand, and others dont. No fighting game is complex. & No fighting game is balanced.
(If it is, it would be boring as hell to play, honestly)

pixelbind

Smash Cadet
hmmm tbh just lose a couple matches on purpose and people will start believing in that mk isnt unbeatable and just turn that into propaganda and make mk the underdog :p

do not take note of my ramblings

Rh1thmz

Smash Journeyman
You know, lots of our problems with metagame would be at least partially solved if more than a small handful (if that many) MK's actually helped (or even tried to help) in matchup discussions on other boards. I understand that sometimes, you just have no clue what to say regarding matchup X, but it is rather common that only one or two MK's aid discussions on other boards (and even our own boards!). I agree whole-heartedly that the MK mains need to at least try to help in matchup discussions on our boards and on other boards about the *insert their character here* vs MK matchup.

However, I don't agree with the sandbagging part. It wouldn't help the metagame, etc., all those good reasons that previous posters mentioned.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
The general mindset in this topic is the problem with most MK players.

I don't know how or why most people of a similar mindset all gathered to play MK, but whatever.

Black_Heretic

Smash Lord
You want MK mains to purposely play worse and basically lose on purpose so other character mains feel better about themselves instead of picking up MK themselves?

When there's money on the line (and I'm generally talking more than $70) why should people limit their own options to win? I understand the sentiment but telling MK mains to play worse on purpose so other people feel better isn't the way to do it

DFEAR

Smash Hero
well metaknight can be predictable in certain situations (such middle of shuttle loopin you can expect a glide attack and a lagless attack thereafter), its up to the player to decide what options he/she could use as a counter ya know such as shielding the whole thing and shield grab? etc? Even in metaknight dittos its kinda frustrating to see whomever spotdodges>dsmashes more win but at the same time like the above is isnt the character that lost to that particular technique its the player that lost to it. everything has a counter action to a certain action. we just as a whole must evolve our mindset on MK and learn ways around certain "impossible" moves. its not like metaknight has any spikes/chaingrabs/wavedashing abilities up his *** ya know o-o otherwise well we can consider something there. but seriously, the character isn't that "OP" just slight advantages but the better player will usually win, but i hate seeing to be a better player must mean whos a better metaknight that in a certain case is just wrong T_T. and yay contradictions O_O

stingers

Smash Obsessed
You want MK mains to purposely play worse and basically lose on purpose so other character mains feel better about themselves instead of picking up MK themselves?
???
I never said lose. That'd be idiotic.

Just limit yourselves. Don't go all out. That will help the meta game, considering how much further ahead MK's meta game is compared to every other character. Baby Steps, guys. Help everyone around you get better.

Deoxys

Smash Lord
???

Just limit yourselves. Don't go all out. That will help the meta game, considering how much further ahead MK's meta game is compared to every other character. Baby Steps, guys. Help everyone around you get better.
Umm, this doesn't make sense at all.

Black_Heretic

Smash Lord
???

But still being able to beat a sandbaggy MK doesn't make the matchup any better between whatever character they're using and MK, it just means that they won't be able to handle a MK going all out

Top Bottom