• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

.:Projectile Rankings:.

Shark Week

Smash Apprentice
you are silly. olimar's pikmin are by far, the best projectile in either of the three smashes.

I know for a fact that you have never had a pikmin thrown at you.
i've never been threatened by olimar's side b. they're one more thing to dodge, nothing else. hardly dangerous. and i've faced many very good olimars, and all of them camped like mofos, and some of them were hard to beat, and none of the difficulty i had in beating those few had anything to do with a tossed pikmin.

another thing i noticed when i went back and looked at the list: din's fire in third? the explosion can be dodged on reaction, and the missile itself is slow and unspammable. not the third best projectile in the game.

Ryazan

Smash Ace
Not to mention Din's is blocked by Link's shield if you detonate it BEHIND HIM. Din's is only on there because the starter of this thread is a Zelda mainer.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
i've never been threatened by olimar's side b. they're one more thing to dodge, nothing else. hardly dangerous. and i've faced many very good olimars, and all of them camped like mofos, and some of them were hard to beat, and none of the difficulty i had in beating those few had anything to do with a tossed pikmin.
Do you have any videos of your masterful dodging skills? Everyone else has tremendous problems with the pikmin. They are very hard to dodge and kill, and can be very distracting. They're used to follow up from with a grab or another attack when you're focused on killing the them. If you have 0% and I grab you when a white is latched onto your body, unless you're Sheik, you'll have a guaranteed 60% on your person.

another thing i noticed when i went back and looked at the list: din's fire in third? the explosion can be dodged on reaction, and the missile itself is slow and unspammable. not the third best projectile in the game.
you are right.

Shark Week

Smash Apprentice
Do you have any videos of your masterful dodging skills? Everyone else has tremendous problems with the pikmin. They are very hard to dodge and kill, and can be very distracting. They're used to follow up from with a grab or another attack when you're focused on killing the them. If you have 0% and I grab you when a white is latched onto your body, unless you're Sheik, you'll have a guaranteed 60% on your person.
i've never heard anyone complain about olimar's pikmin being overpowered. not once. i've heard that about his smashes though, many times.

i'm not of the opinion that the pikmin are terrible (and if i said that in a previous post, i apologize, i didn't mean it), but they are by no means the best projectile in brawl, and absolutely not the best projectile out of all the projectiles in all the smash games. they're annoying to continually swat away, but i've NEVER felt like they put me at a great tactical disadvantage.

EDIT: forgot to mention that sheik's needles are up there, period. lol.

Blauw

Smash Cadet
Samus isn't on here at all. Makes complete sense since she has 4 different projectiles. (Charge Beam, Missle, S. Missle, Bombs)
It's about a single projectile, not the rating of the projectiles combined. As an example, three bad projectiles rated '3' are combined 9. This doesn't mean those projectiles being better than a good projectile rated '8', because you're looking at the combination of them, thus looking at the character.

Ryazan

Smash Ace
Probably because you can initially only throw them behind you and your opponent can use them too. Not to mention that if your opponent throws one and it touches the ground, you can now trip on it also.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Good diddy players control the bananas and don't let their opponents use them effectively.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Strategies of there use directly effect their effectiveness. If I throw a pikmin off the stage, is that effective? Well, it's a strategy.

I don't see your point.

Ryazan

Smash Ace
All I'm saying is that the bananas are good, but not, say, top-5 material, because of the opponent's ability to use them. Stage control with them is effective, but not as much as, say, Snake's, whose stage-controlling arsenal will harm people who attempt to "pick them up".

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I guess you could see it that way. I just think that if you can use the bananas efficiently and smart and not "give" them to your opponents, then they;re REALLY good. You just have to know when to use them.

In a way, this thread is kind of pointless b/c whether or not a certain projectile is better than another is very subjective and situational, unlike characters. We all know that MK is better than CF though b/c MK dominates all speed and priority aspects in a matchup between the two, and thus MK is better. For Snake's nades v Pit's arrows, it really depends on how you look at it. If the nades had better knockback, racking ability, damage, speed, and priority than the arrows, then it'd be certain that they're better, but projectiles are used for different things, unlike characters, where a character's goal is to kill, and projectiles have many other uses and purposes. Judging by how well characters kill is how well they place in tiers. For items, how do you determine what's higher?

Ryazan

Smash Ace
I guess it would be the usefulness of the projectile in killing, as a good projectile would make a character better and rank is based on kill potential. On the other hand, that would mean that projectiles such as Charge Shot, which is generally considered to be among the worst, would be the best.

Scrubs

Smash Lord
Why are there only 11 on the list, and only one from each character. Ness and Lucas both have 3, Mario has 2 etc....

What use is a list that isn't complete?

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
this is a thread for ranking projectiles, not a thread for ranking who is good at camping. some of the best campers don't even have/use projectiles.
ok, if a legless dummy had pikmin, what would outcamp it?

/sarcasm

VulgarHandGestures

Smash Journeyman
ok, if a legless dummy had pikmin, what would outcamp it?

/sarcasm
still not getting it.

this is a thread for ranking projectiles, not a thread for ranking who is good at camping. some of the best campers don't even have/use projectiles.
camping proficiency has nothing to do with this thread.

this is a thread about INDIVIDUAL PROJECTILES. within that category, pikmin are not as threatening as snake's grenades, rob's laser, pit's arrows, and a number of other projectiles.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
still not getting it

camping proficiency has nothing to do with this thread.

this is a thread about INDIVIDUAL PROJECTILES. within that category, pikmin are not as threatening as snake's grenades, rob's laser, pit's arrows, and a number of other projectiles.
My point is that it doesn't matter who has the projectile. If it's used to camp effectively, that's a "+" for the projectile! camping proficiency has a LOT to do with the porjectile b/c if it can be spammed and camped well, it means that the projectile is good! Pit's arrows are good b/c they are quick and can be spammed. TL arrow/bomb/boomerang combination is good b/c it can be spammed effectively. If a Snake clone that had pikmin instead of grenades brawled another Snake that had grenades, the Snake with the Pikmin would be more likely to win the fight, simply b/c he has the better projectile. That's all I'm saying.

I think Pikmin are much more threatening than any of the projectiles you listed, and I gave my reasons earlier in this thread.

Shark Week

Smash Apprentice
overall i say toon link and link have the best projectiles
this a thread ranking individual projectiles.

My point is that it doesn't matter who has the projectile. If it's used to camp effectively, that's a "+" for the projectile! camping proficiency has a LOT to do with the porjectile b/c if it can be spammed and camped well, it means that the projectile is good! Pit's arrows are good b/c they are quick and can be spammed. TL arrow/bomb/boomerang combination is good b/c it can be spammed effectively. If a Snake clone that had pikmin instead of grenades brawled another Snake that had grenades, the Snake with the Pikmin would be more likely to win the fight, simply b/c he has the better projectile. That's all I'm saying.

I think Pikmin are much more threatening than any of the projectiles you listed, and I gave my reasons earlier in this thread.
that's true, a projectile that can be used to do any given thing effectively is a positive thing for that projectile.

that still doesn't change the fact that projectiles aren't ranked on how well they allow the user to camp. i haven't played brawl in a while since i got back into wow and this is the first thing that popped into my head, so forgive the melee reference, but falco's lasers in melee weren't great because he could keep people away with them, they were great because they allowed him to approach so incredibly well. granted, melee wasn't quite as campy as brawl is, but my point is that projectiles can do different things for different characters. allowing them to camp well is good, yes, but simplifying the issue to "XD who outcamps olimar lolol?" doesn't really do much for the discussion.

Browny

Smash Hater
hmm yeah i agree, projectiles strengths should be based on how it can help a character approach. for example olimar can approach while spamming side-b with little to no risk, while someone like Zelda cant approach with dins since it puts her into helpless state. also certain characters can camp amazingly well like snake and TL, but ultimately they can and will get out-camped by many other characters simply because thier projectiles allow the to approach.

idk if my list changed from before, but now i think

#1 Pikmin
#2 Paletuna arrows
#3 Aura sphere
#4 Gyro
#5 Falco laser

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Once again, why has nobody mentioned Bullet Seed? Hell, people have mentioned RAZOR LEAF and the TURNIPS, and the Links (plural) weapons, but no love for Bullet Seed? C'mon? 40-60+% of pure damage that comes out faster than a jab not enough for some of you guys?

tedward2000

Smash Champion
Once again, why has nobody mentioned Bullet Seed? Hell, people have mentioned RAZOR LEAF and the TURNIPS, and the Links (plural) weapons, but no love for Bullet Seed? C'mon? 40-60+% of pure damage that comes out faster than a jab not enough for some of you guys?
On a mission are we?
If you could turn bullet seed from vertical to horizontal, it would be much higher on that list. But it cannot, and thus it isn't.
-t2

Timbers

check me out
I'm baffled why Din's Fire is ranked so far up in this list. It's very easy to avoid, and the only point of it is to simply draw opponents closer. Any character's projectile can do that.

My personal list:

1: Pikmin toss- Spammable. Racks up damage. One of the few projectiles that force opponents to approach while effectively damaging them.

2: Falco laser- Highly spammable. Can be autocancelled to set up combos, which makes it such a great projectile.

3: Aurasphere- Spammable. Good damage. Harbors KO potential when charged. Also takes advantage of landing frames better than most projectiles.

4: Pit's arrows- Can be controlled to an extent. Decent damage. Very accurate projectile.

5: ROB's Gyro: When charged, does 19% fresh. Stays on the ground for a while, which can screw up approaches and limits player's options. Not to mention it allows ROB to unlock one of the best glide tosses in the game, which can string into KO moves and an overall great mindgame and space tool.

6: Waddle Toss- Good damage. Waddle Doo can set up some great things with it's electrical field. Gordo's KO at obscenely low percents. It's a great projectile.

7: Sheik's Needles- Great damage at close range. Can help her combo.

8: Lucas PK Thunder: ***** recoveries. Chases well against slower falling characters.

9: Wolf's laser- Good damage, controls space well. Doesn't help him much in keeping the flow going, but it's a bulky, spammable projectile with good range. It's worth mentioning.

10: Din's Fire- Good damage, can screw with recoveries. Good bait tool.

Professional Idiot

Smash Apprentice
Okay, if PK Fire is in the top 10, then PK Thunder is too. (Both Ness and Lucas.) It's got 1.4 x 10^44 applications:

1. Good 'ol circling it around to zap the hell out of people.
2. Turning it onto yourself to use a recovery that kills everybody in its path.
3. Faking a PKT1 to get a PKT2 hit.
4. Chasing people off-stage.
5. Punishing people just for landing. (Ness only)
6. Thundersliding (Lucas only: instant PKT2)
7. Ledgewhipping (Lucas only: apparently a surefire way to attack someone clinging to a ledge.)
8 ~ Infinity: Refer to Ness & Lucas forums.

Shark Week

Smash Apprentice
I nominate Pika's thunder jolt. It's spammable, blocks approaches & other projectiles, edgeguards, approaches, retreats, & racks up damage. Definitely worthy of top 10.

You should also replace nikita with grenades. Shielddropping is too good.
this.

as for bullet seed, i love bullet seed to death, but it's too situational. where you can use it, it's monstrous, but it doesn't have the appplicability that many other projectiles have.

also, aurasphere is crap. no, it's not good. it's bad. stop acting like it's good.

AnAardvark

Smash Journeyman
I don't think Lucario's Aura Sphere should be that high on the list, since it's really bad. Easy to dodge, and can't spam it well. Someone could easily avoid them. Also, Pit's Palutena Arrow should be moved up since it can be spammed. Plus, it can be directed, leading to higher accuracy. And you can Arrow Loop and Arrow Rain with it. :) Won't be very effective, but it's fun to do. :laugh: That deserves at least a little push in rank.

Top Bottom