• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

.:Projectile Rankings:.

DarkThundah

Smash Apprentice
.:projectile Rankings:.

Hello all,

I wanted to start a thread - for tactical and also just for funzies - to list the Top 10 best projectiles (Edit~this list now includes all projectiles in the game). I think this list will help players to understand why certain projectiles are useful, how to use them properly, and strategies may be useful to decrease/increase their efficiency. To clarify, I am referring a single projectile, not to be confused with a characters projectile abilities (potential).Points to consider: power, range, speed, effect, application (big 1 here) and others I'm sure.

Feedback would be much appreciated; feel free to tell me what you think. I just don't want to see any "this threads gay".

A definition of Projectile might be helpful, From SmashWiki (Plagiarism nooo!!!):

A projectile is any hitbox able to leave the user's damagable collision bubbles and move by itself, and most of them can be reflected. Ness' yoyo is also an exception, as it is not classified as a projectile despite its glitch. All projectile attacks will not create a hit lag for the user. Most projectiles can be easily identified by attacking a metal box.

And so...
La List:

Laser-Falco; cancels^grab, DACUS etc. spamable, laser lock, moderate damage, stun.
Pikmin throw- Olimar; spamable, moderate damage, can be difficult to avoid, range.
Palutina arrow Pit;- stun, spam, can be curved, shoots up & down.
Grenades-Snake; massive range, very applicable, can be cooked, good for spacing
Nanners-Diddy Kong; tripping causes laughter and thus death.

High
Needle Storm- Sheik; stun, good damage, hard to see real fast.
Aura Sphere-Lucario; stun, spamable, can KO, great damage if charged.
Robo Beam- R.O.B.; stun, great damage, can reflect of surfaces, fast
Blaster-Wolf; stun, moderate range, can not crouch to avoid
Dins Fire-Zelda-; spam, big hitbox, great damage, controllable, must be close to reflect

Mid
Vegetable-Princess Peach
Waddle Dee Toss-King Dedede
Gyro-R.O.B.
Thunder(comes from the cloud)-Pikachu
Parts- Zero Suit Samus
Bomb-Link

Bomb- Toon Link
PK Fire-Lucas
Egg Toss-Yoshi*
Thunde Jolt-Pikachu
Super Missile-Samus Aran*
Missile-Samus Aran*
Charge Shot-Samus Aran*

Nikita-Snake
Final Cutter-Kirby
Paralyzer-Zero Suit Samus
Mortar-Solid Snake
Pk Fire- Ness
Boomerang- Toon Link*

Gale Boomerang-Link*
Bow- Toon Link*
Hero's Bow-Link*
Ice Shot-Ice Climbers *
PK Thunder-Ness
PK Thunder-Lucas

Fireball Red-Mario
Ice Climbers-Blizzard*
Razor Leaf-Ivysaur
Fireball Green-Luigi
Inhale/Copy–Kirby

Low
Blaster-Fox McCloud
Flamethrower-Charizard
Fire Breath-Bowser
C4-(In Air Only)Solid Snake
Bullet Seed- Ivysaur
Force Palm-Lucario*

Inhale-King Dedede
Wario Bike (the act of picking it up and tosing it; the parts aswell)-Wario
F.L.U.D.D.-Mario
PK Flash-Ness
PK Freeze-Lucas
Peanut Popgun-Diddy Kong

Bomb-Samus Aran
Chef-G&W
Water Gun-Squirtle
Spring Jump-Sonic

Gar Gar
Rocketbarrel Boost (when hit)-Diddy
Cypher-Solid Snake
Taunt-Solid Snake (oh god itsa box!)

*Note that this is anything but a final list. I will need help and debate from the community to get a more accurate picture. Please dont yell at me if I don't have you characters projectile in the place where you think it should be.

*Anything with a "*" after it is something I have absolutely no idea where it should go.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Changes:
June 18, 2008 - Due to some wonderful feedback I have altered a few things and have considered expanding the list to include ALL projectiles.
Changed Lucas to Ness
Moved snake's nikki down
Moved Pit's PArrows up - I got a lot of heat for this 1 ha
Added an 11th slot 2 fit wolf - got a lot of constrictive hatred for this 1 aswell
Replaced Samus w/Zss - Consensus was that her Charge Shot was just about as usufull as Marios F.l.u.d.d. (Sarcasm)
Moved Falco up - ask yourself, would you rather have the Laser or Dins, most said Laser :)
And yes I moved Zelda down!
July 1, 2008
Sorry I havn't been able to update this list recently, a bit of computer troubles. As I mentioned previously I am working on including ALL projectiles. All the conversation I am taking into account and I greatly enjoy the debate.
December 11, 2008
Big Update: Semesters over, YeY! I reordered pretty much everything, included all projectiles in the game, added Uber/Top/Mid/Low and Bottom. The middle section was a little tough so please dont yell at me too much. I also looked at some feedback and reordered the Top. Not a prefect list so I will need help. Thank you.
December 13, 2008
More changes.
December 16, 2008
More changes. Moves some down some up, added IC.

If a Mod wants to take over thats fine with me.

Continute to Rate Discuss & give feedback.

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
I think Olimar's is in the right spot. Those little pikmin have so many uses. If put on the right part of a characters body they can be a pain to get off. They can cancel other projectiles. They can take away some moves or increase their startup time. I think their versatility is the largest part of why they get top.

Snake's Nikki should be moved down as its start up and cancel times are kind of slow which makes it punishable.

I think gernades might be a better projectile, even the gyro. What about Diddy's bananas? Where would Zero Suit Samus's projectile go? What about The link's projectiles? What about Samus's missles? What about fireballs?

I think the list should encompass all projectiles.

Anyway I think Pit's should go up and Lucario, Snake and sheik's should go down.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
I think you've got 10 wrong. You want Ness - it's virtually impossible to PK Fire -> fSmash with Lucas.

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
Why is Zelda so high? You can dodge the Dins Fire so much easily than a spammy Pit.

Samus should be replaced by Wolf.
And Peach should at least be 10th. I know the turnips got nerfed. But you can spam them, make some decent set-ups and you can still can get a 40% damage-dealing Turnip and a bomb/beamsword out of DownB.

Browny

Smash Hater
dins fire is bad lol, besides being extremely easy to ardodge, at least most characters have projectiles that can deter edgeguarders while dins just results in zelda falling to her death.

anywa

best 5, in no particular oder

Aura sphere
Needle storm
Light arrow
Pikmin
grenades

Aminar

Smash Journeyman
As a pit main you have his arrows way too low. They Loop, they rain, they create mindgames up the wazoo. They provide as much as Link/Tink's full arsenal. This bumps em up.

Also Tink/Link Bombs and arrows possibly deserve a slot. Samus's Charge shot kinda sucks, it was good, now it's not.

Pikmin do win though.

Scala

Smash Ace
Diddy's bananas should be way up there. I'm trying not to be biased here. They are so good because hitting someone with it is an instant trip which leads into ANY of diddy's attacks.

DarkStraw

Smash Apprentice
Olimar can counter most projectiles with pikmin, with a few exceptions, and since listing all the characters/projectiles he can counter pikmin with would take way too long, ill list the ones he cant counter that i can think of.

shiek
dins fire (not really sure but i would think it cant)
ivysaur razor leaf
robs lazers
lucas up+b

and i think thats it, which makes it the most awesome projectile in the game!

gallax

Smash Hero
this list should include all projectiles. i think snakes grenades should be on that list too. the nikita isnt used that often compared to grenades. grenades can win or lose a match for ya. also, wolf's laser should be up there. it can hit twice if the opponent is near you and it has good startup time. i definately agree with olimar though.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Pikmin is too high.
Why isn't Wolf's listed?
And the PKFire can't lead into an Fsmash. Thats Ness.
Oh, and Samus' charge shot shouldnt be in the top ten.

The list is pretty awkward :s

n00b

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
peasantstat.us
3DS FC
1693-1292-7210
If you're gonna have Samus in the list, her homing missile is much better than her charge shot.

bowz

Smash Journeyman
I disagree with the majority of your listings. You spelled throw wrong, unless pikmin through is some new saying.
Din's fire is too high. Light arrow only works if smashballs are on.(I know you meant Paletuna's arrows) I think wolfs laser, ivy's bullet seed and diddy's banana's should be in there. I don't know, it just needs a lot of work. Good idea though.

Cranberry Rogue

Smash Journeyman
The lack of bananas on that list is really baffling to me. You can have two of them out at a time, they stay on the ground and can cause your opponent to screw up when you're not even around them, they can be thrown and glide tossed, used for edge guarding, etc.

It's an amazing projectile, and is definitely up there on the list.

PwnyRide

Smash Ace
dins fire is bad lol, besides being extremely easy to ardodge,
You know dins fire isnt only use offensively right? You know that thing called mindgames? (And no, this isnt a biased statement.)

Zamus' armor parts need to be on the list and near the top, you can get an entire stock taken care of with them alone.

DarkThundah

Smash Apprentice
I think Olimar's is in the right spot. Those little pikmin have so many uses. If put on the right part of a characters body they can be a pain to get off. They can cancel other projectiles. They can take away some moves or increase their startup time. I think their versatility is the largest part of why they get top.

Snake's Nikki should be moved down as its start up and cancel times are kind of slow which makes it punishable.

I think gernades might be a better projectile, even the gyro. What about Diddy's bananas? Where would Zero Suit Samus's projectile go? What about The link's projectiles? What about Samus's missles? What about fireballs?

I think the list should encompass all projectiles.

Anyway I think Pit's should go up and Lucario, Snake and sheik's should go down.
good points. With snakes nikki I was mainly considering its application, edgeguarding, mindgames etc. Its also cancelable so its not much of a risk for snake to use it. As far a Diddy Samus Mario and link go, I was doint the top 10 and I didnt think that Diddiy's nanas were on the list.

I think I will expand the list today however, and your right about Zss's parts (i was tired :)

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
And PKT is where now?
Mindgames for Ness, edgeguarding and damage for Lucas. It HAS to be up there.
If you need more reasoning, Id be glad to provide some.

DarkThundah

Smash Apprentice
Why is Zelda so high? You can dodge the Dins Fire so much easily than a spammy Pit.

Samus should be replaced by Wolf.
And Peach should at least be 10th. I know the turnips got nerfed. But you can spam them, make some decent set-ups and you can still can get a 40% damage-dealing Turnip and a bomb/beamsword out of DownB.

I agree with you on peach, I loved her turnips in melee but now they seem less effective, dont get me wrong there still a fine proj. but I wasn't sure if they were in the top 10.

Wolf's proj isn't bad, you can't crouch under it like fox/falco and it does additional dmg up close. I dont consider myself by any stretch to be a wolf master, but the weaknesses in his neutral b are in its range(poor), slow startup time(compared 2 fox/falco) and its inability to KO(unlike samus's or zeldas).

zda's is high, for the 4 reasons that I stated: spamable, great damage, controllable, can KO. Yes you can dodge it easily, but is many situations it can mes up approaches, and stop recovers (snakes recover fox/falco/wolf and the mother twins have recover difficulties w/dins.

but if you feel differently please comment: ill be expanding the list! ty

DarkThundah

Smash Apprentice
As a pit main you have his arrows way too low. They Loop, they rain, they create mindgames up the wazoo. They provide as much as Link/Tink's full arsenal. This bumps em up.

Also Tink/Link Bombs and arrows possibly deserve a slot. Samus's Charge shot kinda sucks, it was good, now it's not.

Pikmin do win though.
thank you ill take that into consideration :)

metahunter

Smash Apprentice
pits arow should be 3rd (a good pit barly ever misses and can easily rack up 30% before the enemy gets to him)

grenades should be 4th (to many uses not to be)

falcos laser should be 5th (his laser spam is godly i can never get to him without being hit)

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Dins Fire isnt that great I agree. It's not as great for gimping recoveries on Fox Wolf and the PK Boys because their down B moves stop it. It's easy to dodge and to see coming. Ive noticed Zelda players seeming to use it less now also.

COUGHPKTCOUGH

x9whitey9x

Smash Journeyman
Din's Fire is next to worthless if you're playing a quality opponent. I'd rather have Link or Tinks arsenal or Lucas PKF for pure spamability and the ability to do other ATs out of it.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Zamus needs to go down a space or two, because her suit parts can be stolen and used against her, making them a liability as much as a boon.

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
The projectile part of Kirby's final cutter (Up+B) is pretty bad as far as projectiles go. Incredibly laggy, about mid-range, kind of slow, little damage. The knockback is pretty decent, and the hitbox is pretty large, but usually there are better options than just using the projectile part of the move. It's nice against Snake's nades.

In a teams setting, Kirby can use his swallow as a projectile when he either spits someone out or copies them. Both moves are strong enough to kill, and the hitboxes are huge, but since it takes time to set up, it isn't incredibly applicable in most cases, but it's nice for a surprise. Also, considering you'd most likely be using your partner since it's easier to set up and whoever is being spat out can stop the horizontal movement, you're going to sacrifice some health in the process most of the time.

He can copy other projectiles provided they're mapped to another character's B moves. It's usually situational since a lot of characters' projectiles don't really help against them.

He should be lower on the list, but there's still good uses for his projectiles.

biohazard930

Smash Apprentice
Hmm...I think this could turn into a useful project if someone were to do a full evaluation of each projectile in the game. (Has someone done this already?)

Also, as others have said, Din's Fire is way too easy to dodge to be number three.

Corrick

Smash Cadet
If we are going as overall character Link atleast deserves a mention. He's got 3 projectiles and I'm pretty sure he can spam them better than PK fire.

Phelix08

Smash Apprentice
ness is the best projectile
lol, definitely.

But on a more serious note, I think that Lucas's pk fire should be there, not just because of the projectile itself, but because of zap jumping and other pk fire tricks. Plus, it's great for spamming.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Ness' PKF shouldnt be there, at least, not without Lucas being in front of him. Ness' PKF<Lucas'
Lucas just has too many defensive maneuvers with his to be considered worse than Ness'. It's too good.

Ness' PKT2 is also an awesome projectile :p

Top Bottom