• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

.:Projectile Rankings:.

Briefcase

Smash Rookie
I think we're all forgetting about Game and Watch's Bucket... thing can kill at 0%...

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
Most people sidestep or shield the Razor Leaves anyway because they curve up. And Razor leaf fails to cancel PK Thunder, PK Fire, Pit's arrows, Flamethrower/Fire Breath, Fireballs, Din's Fire, a full barrage of Sheik's needles, Blasters...shall I go on?
I specifically said not energy-based projectiles. =/

It actually causes PK fire to explode on impact, so it can still be qualified as "nullified" since its not going to hit Ivysaur. I'm almost certain it cancels fireballs, as well. The rest are valid, although, even if you could, I don't know why you would choose to Razor Leaf things like Blasters and Din's Fire.

In addition, Razor Leaf doesn't curve up all of the time. The Leaves themselves move at different speeds and trajectories, not even considering the ability of the player to change the rate of fire as well. Either way, your approach is either slowed or forced unless against some of the above characters.

Ryazan

Smash Ace
I know you said it doesn't cancel energy projectiles. I was just pointing out the huge hole that creates. And if you could control the trajectory yourself, they'd be better, but you can't. Which is gay.

JackieRabbit5

Smash Journeyman
razor leaf is just average imo

well we know what would be the worst...Mario's Fludd and Squirtle's water gun for sure

Solo Assass1n

Smash Journeyman
I think the idea of rating characters by their projectile usage is a great idea but (this has probably been said before) shouldn't we include all characters? I know some characters don't have/have rather poor projectiles but if we are going to rank characters for something, we should probably include all of them and not just the best ones. I mean, it wouldn't work in ,for example, a tier list, just listing the best and forgetting the others, right?

I can't comment on which I think is the best projectile right now but if we want to know who's got the best projectiles then we should include all of the characters and (if we can really be bothered) compare vs other projectiles and their usefulness/possiblities.
(Responses to bolded areas.)

I don't believe it's a rating of characters with the best projectiles, but rather the best projectiles themselves. It wouldn't be too fun having to look through a list of EVERY projectile in the game.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Din's is one of the worst projectiles. It shouldn't be ranked.

oze6000

Smash Apprentice
looks about right, eff pikmin though. Impossible to get a charged shot, or any other kind, or olimar. I think Din's fire is good though, but yeah falco's lazors is better.

Ryazan

Smash Ace
Lucas's PK Fire is better. Projectiles aren't even intended to open up combos, and besides, DIing out of Ness's PK Fire is very easy. Plus, Lucas has wavebouncing.

Pit's arrows should be MUCH higher. And Olimar's Pikmin should NOT be #1. Using Pikmin Throw too much weakens Olimar substantially. Pikmin often don't survive it, and Pikmin Pluck is punishable.

TheKingOfFuzz

Smash Rookie
Din's is one of the worst projectiles. It shouldn't be ranked.
Din's Fire is an amazing projectile . . .

For those with enough sense not to use it when

A - It would do nothing but refresh a recovering opponent's second jump assist a recovering opponent

B - Zelda can't recover from Din's lag before her opponent recovers from the inevitable air dodge.

or

C - Your opponent is Lucas, Ness or Game&Watch (and in the case of Lucas or Ness, you can use Din's, without fear of reprisal, as your first attack).

Edit:

In the interest of offering something other than counter-bickering in my reply, I'd point out that while Din's Fire isn't "one of the worst projectiles" in the game, it probably doesn't deserve a top-three spot.

Moreover, there's lot of projectile-specific data floating around on the character discussion boards. That stuff should be incorporated (properly referenced, of course) into this thread.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Pit's arrows should be MUCH higher. And Olimar's Pikmin should NOT be #1. Using Pikmin Throw too much weakens Olimar substantially. Pikmin often don't survive it, and Pikmin Pluck is punishable.
Pit's arrows should be higher, but I think the pikmin should stay at number 1. Pikmin throw doesn't "weaken" Olimar, and a pikmin can be pulled and used in an fsmash, upsmash, or dsmash in less than .3 seconds. It's not punishable by any means.

king of fuzz- name a situation where it can't be avoided easily by a character with a projectile.

Ryazan

Smash Ace
You're right, I should probably have more experience with Olimar before I jump to conclusions.

By the way I noticed you lost another life to tripping lol

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Lucas's PK Fire is better. Projectiles aren't even intended to open up combos, and besides, DIing out of Ness's PK Fire is very easy. Plus, Lucas has wavebouncing.
This is exactly what Olimar's pikmin do. Pikmin are thrown and if they hit, Olimar runs in to grab,fsmash, or fair the afterlag on the pikmin killing attack. Usually, it's very hard to get them off and avoid Olimar's attacks at the same time. Combos from Olimar usually range from about 30-60%, resulting from a single grab. Think about what would happen if sonic had the pikmin throw...

Anyways, I think Diddy's bananas are MUCH better than snake's nikita. the reason that the nikita is so gud is b/c he has the awesome grenades to complement it.

And yes, that life has been missed.

TheKingOfFuzz

Smash Rookie
king of fuzz- name a situation where it can't be avoided easily by a character with a projectile.
Just about any projectile can be easily avoided by any other projectile.

Some projectiles can be caught and thrown back, for goodness sake.

But since you asked . . .

Situation:

An opponent is pressing his/her approach. Zelda short hops backward, starts Din's immediately and floats back with it, detonating the projectile in her opponent's face the moment it leaves her hand.

This doesn't stop the opponent from shielding or air dodging, but Zelda is much more likely to score a hit with Din's by doing this than, say, by spamming the move relentlessly from across the stage.

Also, when Zelda "rides" the Din's lag backward in the direction of her short hop, she generally is able to shield (or roll) as soon as she lands, giving her a way to cope with the inevitable counterattack (which the opponent may be free to do, even if s/he takes the Din's full on).

As with any theory crafting, this example is subject to contextual validity.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
good example, I have to say, I didn't think of that. Got anything else? Most other projectiles are faster with smaller lag time. If I approach you, and you use that technique you just descibed, I could still dodge it and punish immediately afterwards with a grab or a jab. It's not very hard. If you space it well though, you won't get punished, just as if you used it from far away. I just don't think it's very good. I'd much rather have the nikita. That's all.

TheKingOfFuzz

Smash Rookie
If you space it well though, you won't get punished, just as if you used it from far away.
You just put my fancy-schmancy talk about "contextual validity" in much clearer words.

Yes, it all depends on spacing. If it looks like the opponent is hip to the game of exploding the Din's right in his/her face, the Zelda can always hold on to the Din's an explode it slightly behind her opponent . . . or just kamikaze it into the ground and recover as quickly as possible.

But since Din's lag only starts winding down once Zelda detonates the projectile, waiting to pull the trigger means extra lag, which is bad.

The larger point here is that your opponent will have to be thinking/acting quickly to avoid a Din's in this situation, whereas if Zelda just spams Din's from the other side of the stage, the opponent can yawn, press the red button on his/her controller, and totally stop the Din's.

I'd much rather have the nikita
Sheik's peashooter plays merry hob with that nikita thing . . . and, really, any of Snake's bmoves that have wind up times. Try it in training mode. Even one shot well-placed shot from the peashooter will make Snake drop his 'nade at his own feet.

Got anything else?
Din's can also be used to "nudge" a recovering opponent past the ceiling and out of the stage for a K.O.

Again, this only works in the proper context. It's a tricky set-up to begin with, and if Zelda is clever enough to see that she can push someone past the ceiling with Din's, it stands to reason that her opponent is clever enough to anticipate it . . . and avoid it.

The best time to attempt a vertical Din's K.O. is when the opponent is JUST UNDER the stage ceiling . . . that is, the opponent has been knocked VERY high in the air and disappeared from the screen, but has not yet been K.O.'d.

The the most noteworthy point (for this thread) is that Din's is capable of blowing an opponent past the ceiling, while some other projectiles (many of which are superior to Din's overall) are not.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I do thing Sheik's needles should be higher, above din's and below palutena's arrows.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Heh. Lucario does not have blue balls. He always scores. Always.

You probably mean Aura Sphere.

Browny

Smash Hater
AS is top tier, only projectile than can KO at moderate %. of course when lucario is at high % it KO's at like 70 lol

Airgemini

Chansey
Safari Zone. Shiny, and holding a Lucky Egg.
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
Peach should be up there.
Sure they can be sheilded easily but she has so many techniques with them.
Glide tossing, Turnip free pull, etc.
Not to mention the chance of pulling a turnip that can do up to 41% damage, a Bomb, a Beamsword, and a Mr. Saturn.
And besides Zelda shouldnt be that high. Anybody can easily dodge Dins Fire, not to mention some attacks can out-prioritize it. She should be placed below some of the other characters on the list.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Personal opinion: I think armor parts are more like items then projectiles. They come out in the begining of the game and once there used (unless your playing with Final smashes) you can't make more.

I also think TLink and Links bombs defiantly deserve a spot. conderderable knockback and are the best at setting up combos.

There are some really cool things you can do with bombs.

Link and toon link bomb techniques

1. jump airdodge and you can zair (is zair considered a projectile cause if so it should be on this list.) while holding a bomb (since Links zair is so much better it helps him out alot more)

2. you can do a Fsmash while holding a bomb

3. you can quick drop a bomb and do any areal and instantly catch the bomb which can lead to unseen awesome combos.

4. This one is exclusive to link I think because he can DAC. When Link is holding a bomb, he can DAC while doing it giving him a sliding animation while throwing it. Its much better than running and throwing.

yea bombs should defiantly be on there not just because there bombs and a decent throwing projectile but because of all the advanced techniques you can do with them

Blauw

Smash Cadet
Should G&W's Oil Panic attack be considered a projectile? If so, it should definitely be on the list.

(I'm still not sure if it should be considered a projectile, it's just an extension of his reach (compared to a jab, fsmash, etc) to the side. But that could mean Ivysaurs Bullet Seed should just be considered an extension upward. If not, Oil Panic should be considered a projectile.)

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Should G&W's Oil Panic attack be considered a projectile? If so, it should definitely be on the list.

(I'm still not sure if it should be considered a projectile, it's just an extension of his reach (compared to a jab, fsmash, etc) to the side. But that could mean Ivysaurs Bullet Seed should just be considered an extension upward. If not, Oil Panic should be considered a projectile.)
it's not a projectile... the hitbox never leaves his body and it can't be reflected... it's just a big, powerful, disjointed hitbox

Fearmy

Smash Ace
Ivy Razor leaf should be up there, it can send back IC's Projectile, Blow up Snake's Grenades, cancel TL's Bombs. It homes in on the opponent. It also will hurt Olimars Projectile, (and since there is no Grass Pikmin, they can die to this move, thus bad news for Olimar)

nitnit

Smash Cadet
Samus isn't on here at all. Makes complete sense since she has 4 different projectiles. (Charge Beam, Missle, S. Missle, Bombs)

gallax

Smash Hero
what about pika's tjolt? its spammable and can really do some damage. it does(7-8%). but by damage i mean making the opponent flinch. damaging strategy. anyways, a SH tjolt is great.

JackieRabbit5

Smash Journeyman
i'm starting to think that we do need to just put up all projectiles since everyone's making diff suggestions that are debatable but may be valid

and we need to clarify what a projectile is...i think Samus's armor parts, Link's bombs, and Peach's turnips should be considered items because they are thrown like items

Star Ryan

Smash Cadet
I'm going to put another word in for Lucas' PKF.

It's just so much more accessible than Ness'. It's key to a big part of his game. While it may not open up an F smash, it'll do alot more long term damage throughout a match than Ness'.

Shark Week

Smash Apprentice
the list in the first post is absolutely abyssmal. some notes:

pikmen are not that great. they're just not... there just isn't anything that's so cool about them. olimar's pikmen have never been that damaging, or have had any stun attached to them except for the purples, and they don't have that much range, white or not. they're a good wall, not a good projectile.

snake's grenades are absolutely fantastic. good damage, good knockback, variable distance, large hitboxes, and best of all, they are a guaranteed hit if your opponent thinks they can just throw them back (and you know how to take advantage of that; no cooking required).

aura sphere is completely mediocre. tiny amounts of damage and stun, unless charged, at which point it's not spammable. it's not awful, but it's not in the top five projectiles in the game.

pikachu's thunderjolt is at the very least, noteworthy. erratic movement on any surface, follows along any walls or ledges, perfect downward angle when fired from the air, good stun, and they go through or cancel out many other projectiles.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
the list in the first post is absolutely abyssmal. some notes:

pikmen are not that great. they're just not... there just isn't anything that's so cool about them. olimar's pikmen have never been that damaging, or have had any stun attached to them except for the purples, and they don't have that much range, white or not. they're a good wall, not a good projectile..
you are silly. olimar's pikmin are by far, the best projectile in either of the three smashes.

I know for a fact that you have never had a pikmin thrown at you.

Ryazan

Smash Ace
Samus isn't on here at all. Makes complete sense since she has 4 different projectiles. (Charge Beam, Missle, S. Missle, Bombs)
Just because she has a lot doesn't mean any of them are among the best in the game. And they're not.

Top Bottom