• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
All you have to do is go into the stage position model and find the death boundary bones (forgot the names at the moment). You can preview the changes by previewing the collision data and viewing the polygons and bones at the same time. That takes care of part one.

As for speeding up the car, if the hitbox is tied to the object itself, changing the animation should get the work done. However, I have never looked into it myself so that's a pretty broad tip. I may look into it myself later if no one else with elementary BBox/stage hacking skills does.

The_Guide

Smash Journeyman
Sneak, how come your recorded livestream doesn't have a frame slot for me to select the timing of the video?
You need to actually click the saved stream under latest videos. If you just click on the link, you'll go to the live-streaming area, where there is no progress bar.

:)

Vigilante

Smash Lord
I do think a legal Earthbound stage would be amusing. If Neko pulls it off, I'll give him a virtual cookie.

Flynn360

Smash Cadet
im guessing since theres two marth portaits shown in sneaks stream record...the "secret character" is obviously roy

Machiavelli.CF

Ivy of the West
NNID
Machiavelli.CF
3DS FC
3222-5675-4966

I thought you all might be interested in this image.

And to make this post on topic to a degree, If the clone engine were finished would it support mroe than 4 characters? and will the extra texture slots be included in the patch?

Vigilante

Smash Lord

Machiavelli.CF

Ivy of the West
NNID
Machiavelli.CF
3DS FC
3222-5675-4966
For Roy, he is still very buggy and there is no guarantee he'll be in the final version. Just saying. I doubt they'd put added slots yet too, I think.

As for the Project Café picture, I'm not sure if this is a hoax, though it is everywhere, but follow us on backlash gaming, we're covering it.

(Image too big, just click it)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_olBWMg-gKaY/TDHAhpr41FI/AAAAAAAAAN4/sa9QTUlBIeY/s1600/ShamelessPlug.jpg
I loved that picture xD
And I'd imagine they'd want the engine done before the final version.
And I've always wondered about the final version and how the release will go.
Because we all know we want the final version to be balanced to a significant degree, so I figured they'd release an "RC" Final version first. and then after a while of us all playing, patch it up, and call it version 1.0

Because the first version available to the public wont be anywhere near what anyone would like to call FINAL.

Evilagram

Smash Journeyman
That's not what release candidate means, or how the term is meant to be used. In software terms a release candidate is software that is functionally ready for release in all aspects. It is the version that will be declared the final product unless a show stopping bug is discovered in it. Literally, it is the candidate, for being released.

This has also turned up. I sincerely hope these images are not hoaxes, as they would be positive indications of a lot of good things about the new system.
http://i.imgur.com/7yWVm.jpg

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
If the clone engine doesn't get finished, it's not going to stop us from releasing. It's not really a priority.

leelue

Smash Lord
Just want to point out something I hate about this thread. It's people going "x character is the of the worst in demo" and someone else going "nah, he's da good character, uz combos ya".

I'm not necessarily talking about the last time it happened but it seems like there is a common train of thought like this;
character has x traits > x traits are good > other guy must not know how to appreciate x traits > lemme tell him > mention scapegoat character has a flaw that absolves original character.

Is that pattern familiar to anyone else? The arguments may add or subtract a step but this is a good outline. Everyone has good and bad points and mentioning one or two of them and weighing them arbitrarily gets nobody to nowheresville.

What I'd like to see is more or less what I did with sonic (I'm insanely vain so I use myself as an example 100% of the time).
I played him. And played him. And tried every matchup. And played him. And once I was sure that I had collected data from matches with people who are actually good, and watched videos of people who can actually play, and tallied up weaknesses and strengths in a realistic fashion, I decided that sonic wasn't up to par in the demo (great at times but flawed and sometimes numbingly so). I'll admit to saying I once thought he was the bomb**** but I was young and dumb back then. A month ago.

Basically, please practice and watch and think hard before posting certain things, if possible. I know a good portion of us could actually have a constructive conversation on these matters at some point. What sucks is that one can't tell who's opinions matter and who's don't at first blush. I thought certain people who post generally with intelligence were worth listening to until I was discouraged by some combination of factors. There are more than these three, but for the most part I trust Magus (duh, and/or hello) because he's the deputy of champtown, Sneak because I know he puts in the right kinds and amount of work, and myself because I'm just so damn handsome.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
So guys, since Brawl Minus has jump OoS for Yoshi, thus proving it possible to do, will this as well?

Blitzkrieg98

Smash Apprentice
Sonic, personally, just needs a little bit more kill power on his ground moves (Up and Down Smash, preferably) or Nair.

You know something's wrong when your gimping capabilities are suddenly going nowhere and your opponent is living beyond 180% (of course, the new DI and tweaked Nair could fix things...).

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
leelue, apart from the fact that the metagame has not evolved nearly enough to accurately judge how good any character is yet, the recent changes make many of the judgements based on the demo obsolete anyway (well, not really obsolete, just less relevant). Just give it some time. Obvious holes in gameplay are one thing (lack of killpower for example) but you can't know how good he will ultimately be yet. Look how much variation the Melee tier list has had over the last decade, and that's with characters that haven't changed at all since day 1.

So guys, since Brawl Minus has jump OoS for Yoshi, thus proving it possible to do, will this as well?
Personally I'm not too keen on changing one of the worst shields in the game to the unquestionable best. And I seriously doubt technical limitations were ever holding us back on that. We've hacked waaaay deeper into the game than Brawl- has.

leelue

Smash Lord
JC, while a big portion of the change in the tiers was due to people learning the characters, a large amount of that also came from people just getting better at the game. That influence isn't totally gone, not by a long shot as I'm sure a good number of us are getting better at the project every week. But we know how to play melee style smash, and that should/could take a lot of the time out of getting good reads out of the characters.
I wouldn't be surprised if a character deemed garbage suddenly got shown in a new light, but on the other hand I wouldn't be surprised if what ends up being a general early consensus being pretty spot on..

In fact, in melee, never was a character ever ranked in the bottom 9 and subsequently moved out of the bottom half. In 10 years the only exception to this rule was pikachu, who once was ranked 9th from the bottom and then moved slightly out of the bottom half. That's it. The worst characters are the easiest to pick out.

Once we hit Ken era marth play (aerials instead of rollin into smashes aka good play) the List is fairly recognizable. And we understand melee style smash better now, over half a decade later.

Puff was historically ranked too low, but it is only one profound example.

When you look at the old data, its should be easier for one to say a character is bad than good. Which is what I'm doing with demo sonic; he is not as good as the better characters in the demo. Not bad, no, just not as good.
When I can talk about the updated version, I will. Hopefully he will be more competitive in that environment. I love him. But until then, my opinion is pretty strong.

Edit: Grim, as usual I agree. Something about the shell should make his roll better. Perhaps a weak hitbox somewhere in it (wherever the most fair spot is)?

Machiavelli.CF

Ivy of the West
NNID
Machiavelli.CF
3DS FC
3222-5675-4966
That's not what release candidate means, or how the term is meant to be used. In software terms a release candidate is software that is functionally ready for release in all aspects. It is the version that will be declared the final product unless a show stopping bug is discovered in it. Literally, it is the candidate, for being released.

This has also turned up. I sincerely hope these images are not hoaxes, as they would be positive indications of a lot of good things about the new system.
http://i.imgur.com/7yWVm.jpg
I know what a release candidate means. I used the term loosely knowing people would understand what I meant. :p

And if any of sonic's moves gets more kill power, i'd rather it stay bair that is his strongest. or maybe make his fair or something hit at a lower angle so gimping would be easier on stages where boundry kills are out of the question (Dreamland 64?)

leelue

Smash Lord
I like your reasoning, but sonic has a lot of gimp options, and the speed to do it. More growth on his down or up smash could help a great deal. Perhaps even a tiny but more knockback on the jab so he can pull off jab to down smash.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Sonic seems fine to me.

Yoshi however, NEEDS a usable shield, for without one, he has no OOS game.
He isn't viable without one.

leelue

Smash Lord
I feel like having yoshi's shield be un-jumpable may end up polarizing certain matches. Making his roll faster and/or having a faint hitbox at the start may compensate, but I really don't know him well enough to say, and I can't test.

And yeah, its ok if you think he's ok. I don't, and I'm vocal. For once, I agree with "to each, his own".

NeoZ

Smash Ace
If you sped up the endlag on yoshi's shield drop, wouldn't that make him have OoS options? :p
Technically, no.
But if you sped it up a lot it would be equivalent, only he wouldn't be limited to jc things, he would be able to do anything, which could be too big a buff.

leelue

Smash Lord
Monk, from what I gather, its a problem balancing his awesome shield and his awful shield release. Which... you... probably know.

Also, why does everyone else use the terms nerf and buff? its gotten to the point where I avoid saying either because its everywhere. I need to buy everyone an internet thesaurus.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
nerf = to make less hazardous, ie; the nerf company made nerf footballs so they would be less hazardous

buff = to make better

i dont really see any way around this lol

Eternal Yoshi

NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Yes, speeding up endlag would help.

Putting in supershielding for Yoshi's shield instead of Powershielding would also help a lot.

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
Copy/Pasted my suggestions regarding Yoshi's shield from SmashMods:

Allow Yoshi to Egg Roll out of shield, and vice-versa
Yoshi needs better OoS options, and he's already in an egg, so why not? It would also make grabbing him out of Egg Roll not counter perfectly, since he could spot-dodge, then punish. Would be a viable approach option.

Keep Yoshi's grounded Brawl Egg Roll, turn the aerial one into Melee's
The Melee Egg Roll was clumsy, weak, and double-bad. However, it could be used for recovery, and as a mix-up on the edge. Best of both worlds.
Although a post by Dingding makes me consider the possibilities of using ANY special OoS.

And ph00tbag had a good one:

I ultimately think bringing back Yoshi's parry would be a huge deal. I'd only really make one change to Yoshi's shield, which is that if Yoshi is attacked during the initial frames of his shield drop animation, he takes no damage, suffers no hit lag, and can act immediately. Certainly, make some of his shield drop frames punishable, but those first two or three frames should be enough to give Yoshi a unique response to predictable shield pressure.

Machiavelli.CF

Ivy of the West
NNID
Machiavelli.CF
3DS FC
3222-5675-4966
I also feel sonic is fine (he's a secondary main of mine), but if they really felt that he needed to be better, then I think that *previous post*...

And too bad Sonic Generations isn't coming out for the wii :| because that would have some nice models to import. Maybe The Cafe if we're lucky... of course even then the idea seems far-fetched.

Also, if Nintendo releases another smash game and it is basicly "Brawl verison 2" would the P:M Team go through the trouble of making P:M v2?

Eternal Yoshi

NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Egg Roll is still a bad move in Brawl, but letting him do it from shield sounds amusing.

Supershieldin in Melee = Yoshi's parry in 64 I guess.

KingClubber

Smash Ace
In a dark underground base in the middle of L.A
Adding an "Allow Interrupt" to Sonic's spring jump (UP-B) would work better, it already has an code that prevent Sonic from using another Special Attack after using the move which will only allow aerial attacks.

Also instead of "Allow Interrupt" After an Homing Attack hit, i think it might work better if you could make possible during the Homing Attack. Don't know if this one is possible haven't tried it myself yet.

I don't see why people are having a hard time killing with Sonic. With dash cancel Sonic is able to play pong with with most of his enemies.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
me complaining about the terms wasn't out of confusion, I just want to see more words. English is big.
Diverse and flowery diction is generally looked down upon in situations like this. If you're talking about specific technical terms, you want to be as clear as possible and use the same term every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom