• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ynnek123

Smash Ace
Wow seriously? You really fail, I'm just telling you it isn't in and because of one small detail you insult me, very sad ;p
And maybe you should try to read too then, cause that still makes it clear that it isn't in brawl..

NeoZ

Smash Ace
Wow seriously? You really fail, I'm just telling you it isn't in and because of one small detail you insult me, very sad ;p
And maybe you should try to read too then, cause that still makes it clear that it isn't in brawl..
Yeah, I "insulted" you because I was jealous of how cool telling people to go read things when you haven't actually read them yourself makes you.

And PF was mentioned 3 times before my question, one of those by me, so I'm pretty sure I understood what was said.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
The problems with Mute city are that it is a broken match against characters with bad recoveries. they are severely hampered, to the point where it becomes drastically unfair for them. Second, the annoying sliding needs to go. I actually hated this stage. Although I am not against bringing it back, it could never be a credible actual legal, or even counterpick stage.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Isn't having more legal stages better? I mean, a common criticism of competitive smash in general is the tendency to ban most of the stages.

That and in general, it's better to have more stages, right? What if some people like onett?
^THIS^

Onett provides a very unique environment and with it comes an environment in which players need to formulate completely new strategies.

It's unique design greatly favors slower characters and characters with great range.

Fast characters don't have a lot of room to move so many hit and run tactics are now unviable. Projectile heavy characters like Pikachu and (Power Suit) Samus now need to rely on more heavy spacing.

The walls allow for more varied stage combos and make more varied tech chases.

The lack of ledges also forces edgehogging heavy characters like Metaknight and Mario to adopt different strategies.

Even with all these changes it doesn't make these characters completely unviable on these stages, as they all still stand a chance to succeed.
^ALSO THIS^

I agree with this view. We have lots of competitive stages, there is no need for more. Other stages were fun because of their specific, non-competitive elements.
Good post, neko.

Now the question I have, why try and "fix" Onett to make it "better" when there are plenty of other legal stages? I thought there were enough legal stages in general and if you have too many legal stages, it'd make the stage list too large or you would have too many similar stages?
...Why? Why would you intentionally limit the depth and thus competitiveness of the game by excluding stages for no other reason than "oh, we have enough".

For example, we always had fun when the Krok in Jungle Japes got a kill due to the river. Jesus, that fella has much more kills than me in my entire life...
JJ is competitive in Brawl, lol. The Klap Trap runs on a timer.

Speaking of tournament legal stages, how about Port Town?
I believe at one point it was a counterpick in brawl but it's always been more banned than anything, and some TOs use it very rarely still... I think.

I think the only thing that is missing from this stage that could make it legal are grabbable ledges (which B+ had), and a warning system for the racers as well as decreased knockback if one hits you. I think the damage is reasonable and the knockback shouldn't be "supernerfed" - it is supposed to be a hover-vehicle traveling at supersonic speeds after all. The warning system should keep most people safe or at least aware anyways.
The lack of ledges were what made it a unique counter-pick, lol. What's the point in having 20 Battlefields? Leave the stages how they are unless they are broken, in which case: Only fix what is broken.

Oh, and the cars are very easy to predict and avoid, not really necessary to alter them, but I can see why you would.

Forget about taking matches seriously, what about actually trying to have a match on it? :mistyface:
Free-for-all 4-Player Jigglypuff dittos on Big Blue are the most fun I've ever had with Melee :p

Im not going to lie though, I loved that stage. I think a lot of people did, despite it not being that legit haha
Why isn't it legit?

The only thing that was wrong with PF was when you fell through parts of the stage.
Predictable, lol.

Sir Combee

Smash Apprentice
Why isn't it legit?
I suppose I worded that wrong. It is just radically different from a lot of other stages and some people deem it bad because of that. I for one love Pokefloats. I meant not legit in terms of it being banned from tournament play. But then again, a large majority of the melee stages were last time I checked >.> Please correct me if I am wrong. It has been a while since I've played melee

Zef

Smash Ace
Lol, I've been so used to P:M that I can SHDF w/ Marth now... w/ out buffer obvs.

I'll be taking part in a live charity stream for Japan next week.. April 29th to May 1st. I think I'll be on Sat, I'll be streamin Project:M, there's going to be a LOT of people in the stream, like 600+. just getting p:m bigger lul

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
The lack of ledges were what made it a unique counter-pick, lol. What's the point in having 20 Battlefields? Leave the stages how they are unless they are broken, in which case: Only fix what is broken.

Oh, and the cars are very easy to predict and avoid, not really necessary to alter them, but I can see why you would.
I was referring to how to make it more "legal", and I was only talking about grabbable ledges for the floating platform. Obviously, if all tethers are removed it won't be unviable - although it will still negate melee wall grabs when they are made and it will still be a hard counterpick against characters with bad vertical recoveries. I suppose the ledges aren't necessary, but I think more people would prefer them. Your argument that it makes the stage more unique is a good point... although the stage is pretty unique, grabbable ledges or not.

Edit:
Btw, I was talking about Port Town and not Mute City if there was any confusion.
Although I can see some of these comments applying to Mute City... if and when that stage mod is made.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Lol, I've been so used to P:M that I can SHDF w/ Marth now... w/ out buffer obvs.

I'll be taking part in a live charity stream for Japan next week.. April 29th to May 1st. I think I'll be on Sat, I'll be streamin Project:M, there's going to be a LOT of people in the stream, like 600+. just getting p:m bigger lul
I'll make sure to drop in if I can. :bee:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I'm teaming with Mew2King at a MW tourney on May 7th and then I'm switching back to DK. :V

GaretHax

Smash Journeyman
I'm teaming with Mew2King at a MW tourney on May 7th and then I'm switching back to DK. :V
Is that going to be a dual fox team or is he going marth/sheik or what
@ETWIST si, si I was just curious, because I've seen him go all three, but that was ages ago tbh I have no clue what he does anymore >_>
Edit Two: Awesome to have Connor back too, he's freaking insane.

Evilagram

Smash Journeyman
That and honestly, I want to see how that Onett would play. Even if the P:M team has sticks up their ***** about it, I'd like such a stage to exist for us to try out.

We have ****ing 75m in there, why not this?

shanus

Smash Hero
Or someone could take initiative and make it on their own instead of demanding others do it for them. I hate the mindset that you expect us to make it for you because you want it.

shanus

Smash Hero
Exactly. Many people are capable of doing this. It's not something that should be forced on the PM devs lol

Rikana

Smash Champion
Sneak, how come your recorded livestream doesn't have a frame slot for me to select the timing of the video?

Evilagram

Smash Journeyman
I'm sorry. I wasn't thinking things over before posting.

I have no stage edit skills beyond simple resizing and collision editing, best I can do is texture edits, and I don't have the dedication/time to learn what would be required to make such a stage. If I had said skills, the download link would be in this post.

I also did not mean to directly suggest that the P:M team do it, only that it is made by someone (Who? No planning done on my part). I also wanted the discussion brought out of the theoretical and into the tangible.

Again, sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom