• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

I R MarF

Smash Ace
In regards to tether recoveries. (I think someone may have already said something like this) But you should just have the character propel to the tip of their tether if they failed to make contact with a ledge. That way, they are slightly harder to gimp and makes their recoveries more versatile.

Olimar's "tether propel" should be dependent on how long his pikmin chain is, if possible.

Wind Owl

Smash Lord
Idea for Ivysaur: Razor Wind? Apparently it can learn it in G/S through breeding, so...Ivy, I dunno, spins its leaves really fast to create wind?
You want her to have a Rachel Alucard recovery?

In regards to tether recoveries. (I think someone may have already said something like this) But you should just have the character propel to the tip of their tether if they failed to make contact with a ledge. That way, they are slightly harder to gimp and makes their recoveries more versatile.

Olimar's "tether propel" should be dependent on how long his pikmin chain is, if possible.
Hm, this actually sounds doable.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
Some of you are underestimating how hard it is to gimp tether characters.

And Lolymoar's tether has always been dependent on number of pikmangz since vBrawl.

CountKaiser

Smash Lord
Lolymar wouldn't be so lulzy if it were possible to implement my idea for him, where his pikmin do 10 and 20 percent more damage when they turn into a bud or flower respectively. Unfortunately, TSON says there's no flag for that, only a float that determines how long it takes for a pikmin to turn into a bud or flower, which isn't accessible via PSA.

Though I have an idea for a workaround. There's probably a variable that states how long a pikmin has been alive, so maybe you could base the power boost on that. I've figured out that it takes 1200 frames (20 seconds) for a pikmin to change.

I really hope there's a way to implement this, because it would give oli players incentive to not think of pikmin as disposable projectiles.

shanus

Smash Hero
Lolymar wouldn't be so lulzy if it were possible to implement my idea for him, where his pikmin do 10 and 20 percent more damage when they turn into a bud or flower respectively. Unfortunately, TSON says there's no flag for that, only a float that determines how long it takes for a pikmin to turn into a bud or flower, which isn't accessible via PSA.

Though I have an idea for a workaround. There's probably a variable that states how long a pikmin has been alive, so maybe you could base the power boost on that. I've figured out that it takes 1200 frames (20 seconds) for a pikmin to change.

I really hope there's a way to implement this, because it would give oli players incentive to not think of pikmin as disposable projectiles.
Check if there is any function that constantly increments (12040100 or 12030100) in pikmin that keeps track of their time alive. I doubt there will be, but if there is, it might be useful

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I don't think it would make the slightest difference tbh. Greatly restricting your moveset for very little reward? Meh.

I have no problem with adding it in but I don't see it changing the way Olimar is played.

shanus

Smash Hero
Personally, I would like to turn olimar into Scorpion from Mortal Kombat. His grab would always play the GET OVER HERE sound effects, as well.

Thoughts?

humble

Smash Ace
When the ledge is unoccupied, the tether stretches to the ledge, right? I'm wondering whether when the ledge is occupied, you could make it so the tether still goes to the ledge, but now it has a hitbox that knocks the opponent off the ledge, and the tether then grabs the ledge.

I support the idea of when using tether not to the ledge, then the character flies to the sweetspot. It gives them a solid recovery as well.

I also support the idea of Olimar's pikmin strengthening, though not to that degree, probably by 3-5%, not 10-20%.

Shanus, I don't play Mortal Kombat, how would oli be like Scorpion?

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
You've never seen Scorpion use his spear?

Your parents (or you) should be slapped. Where do they (or you) live, I'll come over with....THE CAR I DON'T HAVE!

;____________________________________________________________;

CountKaiser

Smash Lord
Guy, you're black. Steal one.

10% and 20% seem good to me, since it takes nearly a full minute for the pikmin to reach full strength.

SymphonicSage12

Smash Master

This.
10Thises

Fatality1337Falcon

Smash Rookie
Hey shanus, i sent you a message and i was hoping you would read it.

Also I have an idea for Project M . What if Bowser was given a hybrid side special, it would work like koopa klaw, except you could still koopa-hop with it. when you grabbed a player, you could press A to bite like melee, make his forward and back tilt out of it the same, but tilt up to do his brawl side special attack. this would make him more mobile, and more balanced. he still eats combos due to his weight, but this would make him a set-up and punish type of character. that along with power buffs to his main kill moves and JC dash attack. I think that would give him a familiar, yet fresh feel that would fit right into the Pm cast. keep his attacks slow to not overpower his offense. Comments plz.

CountKaiser

Smash Lord
lol that's something for brawl-. not project m. i swear, you guys...
What is, pikmin getting stronger over time?

What's so ridiculous about it? It rewards Oli players for carefully using their pikmin and not letting them get killed. It's supposed to stop Olimars from constantly Side Bing.

Wind Owl

Smash Lord
Um, I have to disagree with you there. They're not his children; in the context of this game they're his projectiles and he shouldn't have to raise them just to make them better. Balancing it would be hard, and it would encourage Olimar to be overly conservative in a very aggressive environment.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
should we make falco's laser charge up over time so that if you don't use it long enough it gets super strong? it'll stop him from constantly neutral Bing, we obviously dont want that

CountKaiser

Smash Lord
Sorry, I was simply trying to bring something from his game into this game. That seems to be a trend with this project (Offense Up, Snake being good at CQC, Rapid Spin, Ivy's Absorb Pummel).

CountKaiser

Smash Lord
If I can find what causes the pikmin to change animation, maybe the power increase can be based upon how many times a pikmin hits someone.

G

genkaku

I'm a little interested in hitting someone off a ledge and grabbing it for tethers, but the other suggestions seem too... over the top. And even this one seems to defeat the purpose of tethers, which look to be designed to be fairly situational in use.
It's not like everyone has to have a recovery that's very good or with many options. There were plenty of limited recoveries in melee, if you'll recall.

By the way, Falcon's "YES" when hitting with the knee is awesome.

Glöwworm

Smash Lord
how has the melee community input on this been so far lately? I know you guys currently have pro melee players test driving Project M but you should go out of your way and get as many Melee players play this as possible.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
does ivysaur really have an absorb pummel?

sighhhhhhhhhhh

i'm afraid to ask what rapid spin is.

don't tell me charizard still has brawl- stealth rock...

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
how has the melee community input on this been so far lately? I know you guys currently have pro melee players test driving Project M but you should go out of your way and get as many Melee players play this as possible.
Since this game is designed for competitive play, we're working our way from the top down getting feedback. That's not to say that feedback from the entire community isn't important, it's just easier right now to manage feedback from a smaller group of experienced professionals than to try and manage a large group of feedback from everyone. We already get occasional duplicate reports of bugs, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's just that if you multiply this by a hundred it gets difficult to manage.

With that said, we do listen to community feedback on gameplay at any tournies it's taken to, and we do listen to feedback posted on videos or discussion here.

does ivysaur really have an absorb pummel?

sighhhhhhhhhhh

i'm afraid to ask what rapid spin is.

don't tell me charizard still has brawl- stealth rock...
A word of advice -- don't keep your mind so narrow that you hate on the WIP Ivy. People hated on a ton of our Snake ideas (one grenade?! That will ruin the character!) and he's now one of the most hyped characters in the project. We're not afraid to think outside the box especially for brawl newcomers if we think the result will be something unique, enjoyable, and competitive in the environment we're creating.

I'm not certain that this Lucario idea would even make it into testing since it looks like it'd be very challenging or impossible to code all of those subactions and extra hitboxes, but the point is that we'll at least listen to and entertain every idea. All of our ideas go through lots of playtesting by Melee players who love Melee, and if they don't like an idea then it's taken out. I'm rather surprised that you haven't learned that by now.

tl:dr... Haters gonna hate.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
I'm not going to risk Swords Dance Lucario with the ever present threat of Gliscor/Rotoms/Gengar/Scarftran!
I would much rather be running Agility Lucario to take out all of his counters! Close Combat, Ice Punch, Crunch... Try using your standard counters now!

/Pokemon

It would be hilarious from a competitive Pokemon player standpoint if Charizard could use the one move that ruins any chance he will ever have of being used on a competitive Pokemon team. (I miss OU/BL Charizard :()

bleyva

Smash Ace
not sure how much work has been done on luigi, but will he still retain the ridiculous vertical distance on his tornado, as well as the horizontal movement he gains from the ending flip on his upB?

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
I have played Project M for the first time at Bio4 for like half an hour or so

I tried Sheik and Fox and jigglypuff

falcon's up B grabs too high imo

Fox's Dair sucks, and is a worthless move because it has too much landing lag. Uair also has too much landing lag.

slightly too much hitstun with most moves. Try making like 5% less hit stun (not specific moves I mean overall) and go from there.

L-canceling is too hard (esp the almost-no-lag l-cancel where you have almost zero lag and you are flashing yellow or something) and needs to be easier. Seriously. (I tried it with ganon once and it was way harder than it is in Melee, way too hard to do consistently imo)

There needs to be buffering with C-stick rolling. Often times I would, just like in Melee, hold the C stick in a direction to automatically roll ASAP, but in this game there is no auto-rolling with the C stick. That definitely needs to be added

oh yeah jigglypuff can chain grab fox to rest or something gay. Jiggs can also plank really well with Fair. She's really unfair if you play gay with her, maybe even more so than in Melee. If I play this game, and she stays broken, I might have to play her and play gay just because it's WAY too effective to just Fair camp on the ledge and abuse up throw and rest

edit - Pikachu's down smash is too good.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
Lulz, M2K, most of those are pretty easy things to fix (aside from L-canceling, which is harder), and I should add that we haven't put a ton of time into getting the KB on Jiggz moves right just yet. Nor have we gotten into extensive character balance yet, mostly just core character design, so you don't have to worry about needing to 'play her gay.'

So with that said... did you, y'know, enjoy the alpha?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom