• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Lolwut, the HUD never messed with anything. If you're not bad you can tell where you are just by what inputs you put in anyway.

G

genkaku

HUD gets in my way like crazy on melee battlefield especially. Of course you can tell where you are, it's just a major annoyance.

CountKaiser

Smash Lord
MetaKnight -> Magikarp.

I'll start work today. First order of business is a Splash animation.
**** dat noise

Just do what someone at our recent smashfest said, and make him Roy with 5 jumps. There, instant balance.

He'd be much more interesting to play if the best parts of his disjoints were on the hilt of his sword. That way he wouldn't get much from camping people so much, he'd have to go on the aggressive, which is how I imagined he was originally designed.

As for Lucario, an idea I had.

Get rid of the aura effect on his attacks (seriously, such a dumb mechanic), and give him Swords Dance. You can put it on his Side B.

In pokemon, you could use SD to double, triple, or quadruple your attack stat, depending on how many times you used it. In smash, his Aura eventually ramps up the power of his moves to double the damage. Swords dance, then, could follow a formula like this.

First SD: 1.3 times power

Second SD: 1.5 times power

Third SD: 1.8-2 times power

The animation could take about a second or a second and a half to do to balance it out.

If that doesn't work, I won't mind if Mewtwo made a comeback. >_>

L/A/W

Smash Journeyman
**** it no one likes lucario just put mewtwo back in
(yeah yeah i know it's not possible yet)

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Melee's horizontal camera was by no means perfect either. Fox/Marth/Sheik/Falcon zooming causes the camera to play catch-up a bit as well - just not to the extent of Brawl's horrible camera.

However, I've always wondered if Brawl's horrible camera was optimized for widescreen play. I don't have component cables and my Wii is dead anyway so I cannot confirm.

CountKaiser

Smash Lord
isn't that, uh, psi offense up but with more charges
Yes except

A. It should be harder to get a SD going

B. The boost is applied to all attacks

C. It doesn't go away until Lucario dies

And don't just say that no one likes Lucario. I understand that people miss Mewtwo, but there are people who would not want to see him go. There are also people who would actually like for MK to be made awesome and not gay rather than turned into an electric rat or a fish, such as myself.

Blitzkrieg98

Smash Apprentice
@VietGeek: I can confirm it somewhat, however.

In situations, yes. Brawl's cameras were meant more for those who viewed the game correctly on a 16:9 scale, unlike Melee which more or less stayed with 4:3 dimensions (up-scaled slightly when in Progressive Scan mode).

Brawl's stages, usually in custom stages, background swaps (Ice Battlefield, in particular), even official stages, have areas either in the background or in some of their models further away from the camera boundary that look unsightly or are sometimes downright cropped or deliberately left untouched. If the camera values are still to pan out and in much like Melee, it would have to be in a way that doesn't show the cropped parts of the background or, in some cases, doesn't pan through models hiding in the foreground.

Another remedy? Make more of a difference in the stage/character size ratio with stages getting the longer end of the stick. Although, there is definitely going to be bugs, whether it be file size limitation or uncooperative stages; I have not-so-fond memories of Norfair in that regard.

Regardless, please do what you can. It would only be fair to allow more camera movement for the smaller aspect ratio while simultaneously making it reasonable for those using component cables such as myself.

EDIT: About the hate going around for various characters. Nostalgia is nice, but it shouldn't be a deciding factor regarding the ultimate replacement of characters. Mewtwo and Lucario were similar in certain aspects, but if Mewtwo were to make a return, I would much rather it be via clone engine rather than giving Lucario the figurative boot. Besides, I mained Lucario before I realized vBrawl sucked, it'd be a shame to see a character with great ideas go.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
**** dat noise

Just do what someone at our recent smashfest said, and make him Roy with 5 jumps. There, instant balance.

He'd be much more interesting to play if the best parts of his disjoints were on the hilt of his sword. That way he wouldn't get much from camping people so much, he'd have to go on the aggressive, which is how I imagined he was originally designed.

As for Lucario, an idea I had.

Get rid of the aura effect on his attacks (seriously, such a dumb mechanic), and give him Swords Dance. You can put it on his Side B.

In pokemon, you could use SD to double, triple, or quadruple your attack stat, depending on how many times you used it. In smash, his Aura eventually ramps up the power of his moves to double the damage. Swords dance, then, could follow a formula like this.

First SD: 1.3 times power

Second SD: 1.5 times power

Third SD: 1.8-2 times power

The animation could take about a second or a second and a half to do to balance it out.

If that doesn't work, I won't mind if Mewtwo made a comeback. >_>
you don't know what you're talking about w/ Swords Dance at least in the Pokemon games lol
and I read those before the part of Swords Dance and was thinking he'd have to kill himself (run off) to get extra power. which sounds hilarious.

L/A/W

Smash Journeyman
And don't just say that no one likes Lucario. I understand that people miss Mewtwo, but there are people who would not want to see him go. There are also people who would actually like for MK to be made awesome and not gay rather than turned into an electric rat or a fish, such as myself.
you gotta admit that mk being replaced with magikarp would be pretty epic though;)

Anth0ny

Smash Master
looking forward to the camera fix. playing project M with the brawl camera was one of the only things that really felt downright weird.

HUD gets in my way like crazy on melee battlefield especially. Of course you can tell where you are, it's just a major annoyance.
yeah I actually had my turnip completely blocked on battlefield today by a stock face :laugh:

speaking of stock faces, any updates on getting them into the game instead of those crappy grey dots for stocks? I mean, if you guys can freaking program new camera settings and light shielding, I'm sure you're capable of getting the stock faces in eventually :) (unless I'm missing out on something major)

Dantarion

Smash Champion
Dantarion has to make it so that PSA can detect how hard the button is pressed, but he hates Brawl or something so he hasn't done it.
More like I'm not magic.

Anyways, I am back, but I am going to be working on creating a site for Project M that is worthy of it, and changelists. A site that can take someone who has never played a smash mod before to knowing exactly what Project M is.

iLink

Smash Champion
I will rage if Lucario gets replaced with Mewtwo.

On a sidenote, why not use the cameras used in Brawl+? Those were far better then the regular ones.

MacKellarTeam1

Smash Cadet
So what is the plan for Ivysaur and Olimar's upB? Are you going to change them so they are completely different. Or make it so they are the same but can also like sling the character up, like an ice climberish animation, if you press B while in the original animation or something? because those two have huge problems with very simple edge gaurding. It will only be worse with wavedashes and increased speed.

Wind Owl

Smash Lord

Pimpfish

Smash Journeyman
just an idea on tethering, what if you could increase the amount of distance the bounce each char gets before the tether come out.

Pimpfish

Smash Journeyman
i mean this way the tether will still come out, but they could go over the ledge now.

94teen

Smash Cadet
Could you just let them use tether multiple times? Once to hit people off the edge, once to try to grab it? Might lead to some awkward situations on the edge, but on the surface I don't see another way to make those kinds of recoveries work without completely changing them.

Would it be possible to have a tether and another player occupy the ledge at the same time? That way you could grapple even if someone was already on the edge, but just not recover onto the stage? That seems way too good though, since it makes them much harder to gimp.

Usually if you tether, you go from a hanging state to the edge. What if, instead, you just went up and over? Immediately went to jumping onto the stage rather than going to the edge? Then you wouldn't have two players trying to hold onto the edge simultaneously (though I guess tethering the edge counts as two players, right?).

kaizo13

Smash Champion
tether that takes you onto the stage? + being able to tether the ledge while it's occupied?...........might aswell just wait for them on stage holding up a big azz
"Welcome Back" sign

94teen

Smash Cadet
Or chase them off? Obviously being able to just ignore the other player and tether the edge, even if they're on it, is kind of broken. But maybe there's a way to make it fair or workable. Really, because tether recoveries are so different than anything else, something out of the box is going to have to happen to make them reasonable.

Depending on how the characters play, it might be fair. If they're just really hard to kill without much else of an upside, it could work. I mean, really, the point is that tether recoveries as they are are god awful, and there has to be some way to buff them that doesn't break them.

I think the best way would be to give them a little more upward momentum, and let them get used multiple times as long as you hit a player or ledge, something like how Falcon gets multiple uses if he hits. That might give you a legitimate chance at recovering.

kaizo13

Smash Champion
We should just completely get rid of wall clinging guys >>

Lol @ that one Sneak v.s Copycat match on the WIP dreamland stage where Copy wall clings with Sheik and he's like wtf for like 3 seconds xDD

it just looks so outta place + bad mechanic ( prone to accidental uses)

ClinkStryphart

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClinkStryphart
3DS FC
1891-1406-8889
Eh Shanus if you want I can send you a Ivysaur.pac file to where his thether can be used multiple times but I don't know how to put a limit on it espically on the stage so maybe you can figure it out. I know its a B+ file if I'm not mistaken I was playing around with the one from 6.0 (B+). Maybe if you can figure it out maybe it might be able to work the same with olimar as well.

Also as a request for this game if Falcon is still having his reverse Falcon punch can you guys make it Blue while keeping the normal red?

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
It's either the grammar messing with me or something, but are you asking that a true pivot Falcon Punch should be blue?

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Oh, I always call it a true pivot Falcon Punch compared to the pre-action stick pivot.

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
Idea for Ivysaur: Razor Wind? Apparently it can learn it in G/S through breeding, so...Ivy, I dunno, spins its leaves really fast to create wind?

Hmm...Meta Roy. I like that idea. Too bad he won't have T3H PH1RE!!11!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom