• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slashy

Smash Lord
Just use a Gamecube controller, buddy. Even Sakurai said thr game was meant to be player with a GC controller.
That turns off players who might like a Classic Controller Pro, Brawl was made before the Classic Controller Pro. Also Sakurai liked the rumble of the Gamecube controller.

I have shield set to Y to perform easy shield grabs, wavedashes, and power shields. I don't want to get shafted because I am not using Melee's default control scheme.

Making powershields harder encourages more tech skill, and provides a benefit to players who can't perform lightshielding with their controller.

Evilagram

Smash Journeyman
Just use a Gamecube controller, buddy. Even Sakurai said thr game was meant to be player with a GC controller.
Hey hey, I despise using any controller other than a gamecube controller as much or more than you do, but that doesn't mean you gotta be rude about it.

Sakurai also put in the option to use all 4 controllers in the first place.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Hey hey, I despise using any controller other than a gamecube controller as much or more than you do, but that doesn't mean you gotta be rude about it.

Sakurai also put in the option to use all 4 controllers in the first place.
I don't feel it was rude. If a controller is too limited to implement advanced techniques on it, then it shouldn't stop progress.

Slashy

Smash Lord
Look Wiimotes suck, they are not Smash friendly, and Nunchucks are a little better, but they are still aren't good for Smash. The Classic Controller Pro has some advantages over the Gamecube controller doesn't have.

Here's a great example, you can place all your actions on the shoulder buttons, so you never have to touch the face buttons during gameplay, making approaching or retreating aerials much easier to execute. If anything, the Classic Controller Pro is arguably BETTER for Smash, the reason we all prefer the GCN controller is because Melee used it, not because it is an overall better controller.

This is also possible for the GCN controller, I shield with Y because I like having a shield with easy access to the rest of my buttons, this wasn't an issue with Melee, you were stuck with default controls in Melee.

Evilagram

Smash Journeyman
Real point is, what if someone doesn't have shield bound to the shoulder buttons? What if they shield with other buttons? Then again, same **** applies to the C stick I guess.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Then take the tradeoff of your preferred button placement for lightshielding. Simple enough. There's no way to work it out otherwise that wouldn't be insanely impractical.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
You can toggle light shielding in Melee in various ways. Iirc, you can hold L/R and Z and toggle between light shield and regular shield by pressing A or it's something like that. If someone is going to complain about not being able to light shield with the low tier controllers, then the devs could probably easily make a way to toggle it with those controllers. Everyone can be happy.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
You do know that you're talking about button placement with a guy who holds his controller tilted 180 degrees?

Slashy

Smash Lord
Real point is, what if someone doesn't have shield bound to the shoulder buttons? What if they shield with other buttons? Then again, same **** applies to the C stick I guess.
You can tell players to use Classic Controllers and Gamecube controllers that's fine.

You're giving a bonus, not a perk because you aren't balancing it, to anyone who plays with Sakurai's favorite control scheme, despite the fact that the controller configuration menu allows you to tweak this to how you like it.

Options are key, giving players options on controller configurations provides more accessibility, but making one deliberately better is simply uncompetitive.

Lightshielding and powershielding, the way they were handled in Melee, are designed and WORK that way because of restrictions.

If powershielding required a full button press, that would balance everything.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
You can tell players to use Classic Controllers and Gamecube controllers that's fine.

You're giving a bonus, not a perk because you aren't balancing it, to anyone who plays with Sakurai's favorite control scheme, despite the fact that the controller configuration menu allows you to tweak this to how you like it.

Options are key, giving players options on controller configurations provides more accessibility, but making one deliberately better is simply uncompetitive.

Lightshielding and powershielding, the way they were handled in Melee, are designed and WORK that way because of restrictions.
Except for the whole thing about how the controller has to be able to perform light presses to do things like lightshielding, except for alternatives. They're not deliberately doing it, it's pretty much the only way to apply dynamic shielding. Max light shield, on the other hand, can be performed simply with one of the alternatives (like the Z button).

Slashy

Smash Lord
Except for the whole thing about how the controller has to be able to perform light presses to do things like lightshielding, except for alternatives. They're not deliberately doing it, it's pretty much the only way to apply dynamic shielding. Max light shield, on the other hand, can be performed simply with one of the alternatives (like the Z button).

I'm not saying it shouldn't be implemented I am saying it should be balanced. I already posted a simple fix.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Here's a great example, you can place all your actions on the shoulder buttons, so you never have to touch the face buttons during gameplay, making approaching or retreating aerials much easier to execute. If anything, the Classic Controller Pro is arguably BETTER for Smash, the reason we all prefer the GCN controller is because Melee used it, not because it is an overall better controller.

This is also possible for the GCN controller, I shield with Y because I like having a shield with easy access to the rest of my buttons, this wasn't an issue with Melee, you were stuck with default controls in Melee.
There is no argument that the CCP is better than the GCN. It has more buttons.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
You do know that you're talking about button placement with a guy who holds his controller tilted 180 degrees?
If you're talking about sideways wiimote (which is actually 90 degrees from it's original position, 180 is upside-down) then you should be worrying about more than light shielding for project m. I don't care how good a person is, if you're using a sideways wiimote, you're not going to do well. Maybe in brawl, but not in a game like melee.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
No, he's not talking about the wiimote. He plays with the gamecube controller turned around so the joystick is in his right hand and the A, B, X, Y are in his left.
Alright, well I still stand by what I said for this same situation. Idk how you can be good playing like that and if you're going to complain about light shielding with a controller set up like that, then that's your own problem. Why would devs adjust the gameplay for a control style that probably only 1 person uses?

GaretHax

Smash Journeyman
Alright, well I still stand by what I said for this same situation. Idk how you can be good playing like that and if you're going to complain about light shielding with a controller set up like that, then that's your own problem. Why would devs adjust the gameplay for a control style that probably only 1 person uses?
I think you missed the point. He wasn't asking for accomodations to his style of holding a controller. He plays melee that way as well, so I can only assume light-sheilding isn't his primary concern. I think he was simply offering a retort to a previous post about people not wanting to use anything besides default button layouts and mainstream techniques (to their own disadvantage) with a simple "preaching to the quior" cliche.

IE, ("People should really just customize their control schemes to suit them; it is foolish not to do so when the tools are provided") ("Why are you telling me this? I play with my controlled backward in the "(claw I beleive)" style and I am still for the idea of more options (or against it eh... whichever)")

On topic I can't really see how anyone could use a wii-mote to play smash, even with a nunchuck it seems obscenely akward. I can't speak for the CCP as I have never tried it, but if it all possible adding more options for light-sheilding probably wouldn't end up being a bad thing.

GPDP

Smash Ace
IIRC the classic controller also has analog shoulder buttons like the GC controller, so that one should be fine. The CCP, however, does not from what I hear, so that one would be shafted.

That said, I don't like the placement of the joystick in either version of the CC. More buttons or not, I want my analog stick above the Dpad, not the other way around. It strains my thumb otherwise.

Ecks

Smash Lord
My problem with the CC is the control stick. It just doesn't feel comfortable to me (Do note that I wasn't using an official CC). But for a fighting game the CC would be the standard for sure. Has anyone here tried playing Guilty GearAA+ with a GCN controller? That was a terrible experience for me (And TvC).

Also, I thought Vigilante's playstyle was common knowledge in this thread. lol

Blitzkrieg98

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, that positioning is really weird.
I cannot, for the life of me, dash dance reliably with a CC or CCPro. Although, the CCP makes wavedashes insanely easy for me.

Although it doesn't matter, I main GCN (and sometimes Nunchuk) all day.

Can't wait for another blogpost, even though it likely won't be up today (or tomorrow).

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Vigilante, I will sponsor you to come to Aus just so you can teach me your playstyle.
Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LncEBVEiyl8&feature=channel_video_title

And LOL. Sure, I'd take the trip. Though the real secret is doing it for a veeery long time. In my case it's natural and I play better this way. They are advantages to my hold, it's not just a handicap. For lefties, it's good.

And as GaretHex said, I'm not expecting people toa dapt controls to my style. I'm merely saying that the Gamecube controller is more than good enough to play the game. I can play console games backhand AND normally (Although I have a preference for backhand). WHen I started playing portables, I learned to adapt. The only controllers I was unable to adapt to were motion control games, but I'm not interested in wailing around to play games in the firs tplace, so I have zero motivation to do so. Plus, motions are awkward for many types of games. (Also, classic controllers are ambidextrous; motion controllers are not).

So when using classic controllers, especially one as good at the Gamecube controller, you can become very versatile. People can think outside of the box. You can change your control scheme, or like me, you can change the hold altogether to fit your style. I have four different holds for the N64, each to suit different kinds of games.

I know some got used to the classic controller, but the team can't just let controller limitations stop progress. The Gamecube controller can do more things, so the game was optimized for this optimal controller. Separate L+R inputs to me appear like they are important for a Melee-like setting.

I understand it's annoying to CC users, but don,t let this stop you from enjoying the game. Learning a new controller isn't that hard, unless the controller itself is unreliable.

ajajayjay

Smash Journeyman
its ridiculous if you think about it. If he wants to wavedash to the left, he has to press up and to the right. shine is now up b, he's pressing away from the stage to recover, etcetera.

GaretHax

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of Wolf, how do you guys feel about his dash attack and nuetral air? Are there any plans to replace the dash attack with somthing that isn't so impossible its no longer akward to see? And whats his N-air like now 0o?

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Did Wolf get a new running animation? I hope so because that old one isn't really much of a run.

I expected him to be fast traveling on all fours.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Yeah, Wolf is weird in Brawl, so a new animation would be welcomed. heard from Neko that at the moment, he's a very horizontal character.His trajectories seem to be horizontal mostly. Just thought it might interest people.

Slashy

Smash Lord
I merely said the team should just give classic controllers an equal advantage.

If it required a full button press to perfect shield, then using the triggers to shield wouldn't be a complete advantage

:phone:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom