• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
I merely said the team should just give classic controllers an equal advantage.

If it required a full button press to perfect shield, then using the triggers to shield wouldn't be a complete advantage

:phone:
That conversation was soooooooo last page. Wolf is an awesome topic so dontchu ruin it o:<

I believe his Nair could be changed. Dash attack is too cool to change though.

Ecks

Smash Lord
I think Wolf's moveset is pretty good. the only thing I would change is that dumb running animation.

Edit: Oh yeah, what about his sideb. Is it useful for anything? I barely use it.

Revven

FrankerZ
I think Wolf's moveset is pretty good. the only thing I would change is that dumb running animation.

Edit: Oh yeah, what about his sideb. Is it useful for anything? I barely use it.

Um... I don't know why you would barely use it... there IS an advanced technique for it (well technically more like a glitch). Where you hang on the ledge and Side B through the stage to get onto it without needing to ledge hop or roll onto the stage. I think it's called "Scarring" by the vBrawl community for some reason. Let me get up a video for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQzJW03dMjY

Terrible quality but you can see what happens fairly easily. It only works on certain stages but in PM it works on a lot of the newer stages I've noticed.

It's easy to predict a Wolf to do that technique if they do it all the time; it is a really good mixup though when you're hanging on the ledge and you don't do it often.

As for Side B in general, Wolf hasn't been worked on in months so I don't even know what the purpose is in discussing "what's changed about him" when it's likely not going to be the same whenever we actually do something significant to him. All I'm gonna say is it's Brawl+ Side B because once again, no work has really gone into him aside from hitbox size adjustments and the Down B. Oh and I suppose the way his Up B isn't the silly multi-hit hitboxes it was before, it's just two hits an initial and the kick at the end of the Up B.

Really guys, if you don't notice anything new for any of the characters we haven't talked about chances are nothing's been done to them still or barely anything at all over the last six months. This mainly includes Ivysaur, DDD, Olimar, Wolf, Yoshi, Pikachu, and... whoever else has barely seen any attention. We've been focused on the gameplay and bug fixes along with the current demo characters making sure they're right as rain for the patch. Just because Lucario turned into a beast all of the sudden does not suddenly mean we worked on other characters too. We would love to work on other characters but we've kind of promised a patch for you and we want it to be ... well, not a mess.

Not saying you can't discuss them, but asking about them after being told countless times "no they haven't been changed" about 1-2 months at a time isn't really enjoyable for anyone to answer time and time again.

Ecks

Smash Lord
Didn't know about Wolf side b at. The move just seems like a cheap knockoff of his own up b and Fox's side b.

And yeah, I got carried away by the new Lucario. Speaking of which, I wonder if Shanus will stream today.

NeoZ

Smash Ace
Didn't know about Wolf side b at. The move just seems like a cheap knockoff of his own up b and Fox's side b.

And yeah, I got carried away by the new Lucario. Speaking of which, I wonder if Shanus will stream today.
He said he would, likely during the early afternoon.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
the most recent recorded stream had no sound: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/14535368

It was my understanding that JCaesar was not home and was at Thunderhorse's place, so he might not hav eknown how to set it up there or something. Still, the image is there. And he's playing on a laggy computer screen, XD.

NeoZ

Smash Ace
the most recent recorded stream had no sound: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/14535368

It was my understanding that JCaesar was not home and was at Thunderhorse's place, so he might not hav eknown how to set it up there or something. Still, the image is there. And he's playing on a laggy computer screen, XD.
I watched it like 5 minutes before you posted and it has sound, I even opened it again now and it does have sound.
Try checking your computer.

Also, I tried watching your show yesterday but it kept freezing and I couldn't even see the chat, did you record it?

Dingding123

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty curious about D3 too. I made some suggestions as to how he should work on SmashMods, but I have yet to hear anything about it. Not that I'm craving feedback from my post or anything - I'm just curious as to what you guys are planning to do with him.

On the topic of new characters...
I played about 6 hours of melee with a friend of mine last night because I wanted to show him what I learned after 2 hours of practice with roy (lol). I was mostly roy, he was mostly marth. I wanted to validate roy being better than low tier, and I was more than surprised at his potential. What makes him have such a bad rep? Why have I never seen any videos of anyone using the first three attacks of his sideB - that's essentially his jab combo and dash attack - or dtilt -> nair? Also, dem neutralB gimps! Dat 1.5 -multiplier counter! Dat flexible (and pretty safe) recovery! Dat grab game! Dat phire!

Sure, he tends to build people up to really high %'s before finishing them off. It happens because he can do it so easily and it fits into his playstyle - his aerials can start juggling people at 100%+, and once he gets someone to 150%+ all it takes is one neutralB. It may be just me, but roy's perfectly fine as is.

TL;DR - Underestimated phire is underestimated.

At any rate, when you guys come across preparing Roy for P:M, consider taking roy straight out of Melee and buffing him here and there. Don't remake him into a worse Marth like everyone treats him as.

The_Guide

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty curious about D3 too. I made some suggestions as to how he should work on SmashMods, but I have yet to hear anything about it. Not that I'm craving feedback from my post or anything - I'm just curious as to what you guys are planning to do with him.

I played about 6 hours of melee with a friend of mine last night because I wanted to show him what I learned after 2 hours of practice with roy (lol). I was mostly roy, he was mostly marth. I wanted to validate roy being better than low tier, and I was more than surprised at his potential. What makes him have such a bad rep? Why have I never seen any videos of anyone using the first three attacks of his sideB - that's essentially his jab combo and dash attack - or dtilt -> nair? Also, dem neutralB gimps! Dat 1.5 -multiplier counter! Dat flexible (and pretty safe) recovery! Dat grab game! Dat phire!

Sure, he tends to build people up to really high %'s before finishing them off. It happens because he can do it so easily and it fits into his playstyle - his aerials can start juggling people at 100%+, and once he gets someone to 150%+ all it takes is one neutralB. It may be just me, but roy's perfectly fine as is.

At any rate, when you guys come across preparing Roy for P:M, consider taking roy straight out of Melee and buffing him here and there. Don't remake him into a worse Marth like everyone treats him as.
Wut?

10Wuts

NeoZ

Smash Ace

Ask the Roy forums, they can probably answer most of your questions.

And why would they make a character bad on purpose if they've already said they want everyone to be viable?

Sterowent

Smash Ace
yo, if roy's in this, i await a different tipper system frantically. i know a few have been tossed around, of which lend themselves to adaptive play, and his system from melee, the core of his character, sucked. period, done, who wants that roy with buffs? he needs a change that doesn't literally give him wasted potential.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Lol, the sounds works for me now.

but yeah, the reason it doesn,t freeze anymore is that the recording records in real time. the live "streaming" has a lag. also, it will lag depending on how many people are watching and your computer's power as well as your Internet speed.

so recordings are smoother.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Wut?

10Wuts
This. Roys' recovery is absolute garbage. Marth's gets better distance and move much more quickly.

Ask the Roy forums, they can probably answer most of your questions.

And why would they make a character bad on purpose if they've already said they want everyone to be viable?
I think one major problem is how many of his moves can get CC'd very easily. His aerials are especially bad; Fair and I think Dair tend to have so little knockback that the hitstun is terrible on it.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Lemme explain to you why roy sucks complete ***.

I played about 6 hours of melee with a friend of mine last night because I wanted to show him what I learned after 2 hours of practice with roy (lol). I was mostly roy, he was mostly marth. I wanted to validate roy being better than low tier, and I was more than surprised at his potential. What makes him have such a bad rep? Why have I never seen any videos of anyone using the first three attacks of his sideB
Because you've never watched the best Roys ever, Neo and Sethlon. They use that all of the time.

- that's essentially his jab combo and dash attack
Not Really.
- or dtilt -> nair?
Because

1. It's easy to CC the dtilt and
2. because it's easy to DI the nair down and get out of it.

Also, dem neutralB gimps!
There's no such thing. >_>

Dat 1.5 -multiplier counter!
This is sooo easy to bait.
Dat flexible (and pretty safe) recovery!
ARE YOU ****ING SERIOUS

ROYS RECOVERY IS TERRIBLE.

IT NOT SAFE NOR IS IT FLEXIBLE.

Dat grab game! Dat phire!
His grab games one of the only things he has.

Yeah but that fact of the matter is when you actually know how to play against Roy you know that you can CC and punish almost ALL of his moves (and since his moves do so little damage you can CC them at higher percents than most characters.), his moves do no damage, his recovery sucks, he can't kill, he's one of the easiest characters to combo in the game, and he can't space correctly because his sweetspot is in the middle of his sword.

Roy sucks.

NeoZ

Smash Ace
I think one major problem is how many of his moves can get CC'd very easily. His aerials are especially bad; Fair and I think Dair tend to have so little knockback that the hitstun is terrible on it.
I know Roy has problems when he gets CC, I mained him for a couple of years.

The real question is... why are you telling this to me?
I wasn't the one who said Roy is great based on 2 hours of practice and couple more of friendlies.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
I know Roy has problems when he gets CC, I mained him for a couple of years.

The real question is... why are you telling this to me?
I wasn't the one who said Roy is great based on 2 hours of practice and couple more of friendlies.
It was more like a complimentary response to what you were talking about. I was bringing up some of those problems is all.

Dingding123

Smash Journeyman
Oh geez. Perhaps I should've said something about me messing with Roy for a lot longer than just the 2 hours yesterday. That definitely wasn't the first time I've touched him. What flamebait (lol, flame). Sry.

NeoZ

Smash Ace
Oh geez. Perhaps I should've said something about me messing with Roy for a lot longer than just the 2 hours yesterday. That definitely wasn't the first time I've touched him. What flamebait (lol, flame). Sry.

Anyhoo,
If you've played him for a while you should know his major flaws, that pretty much answers why he's not higher in the tier list.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Getting lots of high quality vids of MD/VA's finest (Chillin, Chu, Redd, Plank, G-Reg, and more)

HypeM!

Dingding123

Smash Journeyman
This. Roys' recovery is absolute garbage. Marth's gets better distance and move much more quickly.

Marth may cover a tiny bit more distance with his recovery, but the fact that Roy can upB at many different angles and hit anything near him away with phire makes it safer IMO. If my friend didn't sweetspot the stage with his upB, he was dead. If I upB'ed close enough to him, I would hit him with phire and grab the ledge. It just seems safer than Marth's.

Oh wow. I never noticed how hard Roy could be CC'ed. That's his problem...I see.

Because you've never watched the best Roys ever, Neo and Sethlon. They use that all of the time.
I actually have watched quite a few videos of Neo in the past, and a couple of Sethlon. I must've missed the vast majority of the ones that were DED-ridden or something, because I don't really know what you're talking about.

Not Really.
How not? It's fast, has decent range, can cancel out of any walking or running animation into either direction and is a surefire 3 hits if the 1st didn't get CC'ed, or if he's up against a spacie at low %'s.

Because

1. It's easy to CC the dtilt and
2. because it's easy to DI the nair down and get out of it.
The dtilt is easy to CC? From what I've seen and done his dtilt cannot be CC'ed if it doesn't only nick you with the tip; it pops people up every time if they're at the center, right?

The nair can be DI'ed out of, but only by smaller characters or anyone at very high %'s.

There's no such thing. >_>
I just have to disagree with this. I understand it can't gimp at early %'s, but his neutralB can most definitely gimp.

This is sooo easy to bait.
That's what his long-range tilts, nair, and shieldgrab options are for, right?

ARE YOU ****ING SERIOUS

ROYS RECOVERY IS TERRIBLE.

IT NOT SAFE NOR IS IT FLEXIBLE.
Flexible because upB can be angled. Safe because of teh phire. That's what I meant. If you're comparing it to jiggz or link's recovery, then yeah, it isn't good. But for an average recovery, it's got it's perks IMO. I definitely wasn't saying it's OP or anything.

Yeah but that fact of the matter is when you actually know how to play against Roy you know that you can CC and punish almost ALL of his moves (and since his moves do so little damage you can CC them at higher percents than most characters.), his moves do no damage, his recovery sucks, he can't kill, he's one of the easiest characters to combo in the game, and he can't space correctly because his sweetspot is in the middle of his sword.

Roy sucks.
He has his flaws, and I'm not about to say he's high tier material, but his system works. He has his crappy aerials that can easily be punished, but he has his f- and d-smash, grabs, tilts, DED and nair to keep him playable until his aerials have enough hitstun and KB. I'm just pointing out that people threw him aside because Marth was a little more polished. All he needs is a few buffs and tweaks here and there and he'll be fit for P:M; that's what I was getting at.

Dingding123

Smash Journeyman
A simple way to buff Roy's recovery is to give it the slide that Brawl gave the Falcon Dive.
Huh...yeah, that may work. If they buff his onstage game enough, though, he might not need it.

Getting lots of high quality vids of MD/VA's finest (Chillin, Chu, Redd, Plank, G-Reg, and more)

HypeM!

Sweet! Can't wait to see moar pros on P:M.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom