• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Speaking of streams, Backlash gaming at six PM EST with GHNeko and Frozenhobo. You two mind getting on IMs a bit before the show?

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Yeah, I thought it was Saturday as well. Either way, I'll be missing the stream again. :( I'm stuck in the twin cities and I'll be busy today after 3pm cst, all day saturday, and all day Sunday. Sorry vigilante, maybe I can catch the third one live.

:phone:

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Lol, I can't have a fixed day because my work schedule is like... not in my power. Furthermore, it ry to avoid Saturdays because JCaesar tends to stream on Saturdays a lot.

Msingh0

Smash Apprentice
Reverse ledge grabbing was removed from PM because it never existed in Melee. That's why hugging is impossible and you need to jump, WD or Moonwalk onto the edge. Besides, you can still reverse ledge grab out of special fall animation, which is quite an improvement.
I meant the full removal of it lol sorry for the confusion lol

:phone:

GPDP

Smash Ace
...so it's been twelve days since the last blogpost, and IIRC all previous blogposts came out twelve days apart.

Should we expect one later today, perhaps...?

moleman915

Smash Apprentice
The only blogpost that wasnt 12 days was on easter, and that was 10. So if the pattern continues, we should have one today. And if not, I think I may know why.

moleman915

Smash Apprentice
I think maybe they ran out? I mean they said themselves they don't know when breakthroughs happen. I just think maybe they are on a stand still, and they may be nothing else to show right now. Of course I could be completely wrong, so who knows.

NeoZ

Smash Ace
I think maybe they ran out? I mean they said themselves they don't know when breakthroughs happen. I just think maybe they are on a stand still, and they may be nothing else to show right now. Of course I could be completely wrong, so who knows.
Or maybe, if they actually were releasing them on a 12 day schedule, they'd have to wait 2 more days to be back on schedule. You know: 12+12=24 10+14=24
But I don't think they're on a strict schedule.

I still hope we get one today.

slimpyman

Smash Journeyman
all i can hope is when they make a new announcement, it pertains to a mechanic which makes the game more meleeier, like ledge detection :)

Slashy

Smash Lord
Also, Monkunit suggested that changing tethers requires a huge number of character tweaking, mainly for characters that require it.

I'm sorry but I don't see how Brawl tethers remove depth.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
You guys aren't getting a blog update today. Or tomorrow, probably. One hasn't been written, that's for sure.

But when you do get it, you'll probably feel like this:

GPDP

Smash Ace
Also, Monkunit suggested that changing tethers requires a huge number of character tweaking, mainly for characters that require it.

I'm sorry but I don't see how Brawl tethers remove depth.
Is this a joke post?

Brawl tethers are entirely one-dimensional. Once you latch on to the ledge, you either get on to the ledge immediately or hang on for a bit. That's it.

With Melee tethers, I could choose to tether anywhere from right on the ledge to the bottom of the stage. Once latched on, I could either hang on for a sec, retract the tether and get straight onto the ledge, or cancel the tether into a jump. With the last option, I could choose to do it any time from as soon as the tether connects to the stage or as late as when I'm hanging on the tether.

Melee tethers gave you a very wide range of options for getting back on to the stage and keeping your opponent guessing on how you're going to get back and what you're gonna follow up with. Note the keyword "options." More options = more depth. Brawl tethers decrease your options, therefore they also decrease depth.

Edit: Ok, you can also let go of the tether in Brawl and go into free fall, but the point stands. You can do a whole lot more with Melee tethers.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
And, you know, tethers can be defeated simply by holding onto the edge.

They're infinitely easier to use (Press a button, no aim required!) and yet infinitely easier to beat out. It's a terrible choice.

GPDP

Smash Ace
Not to mention Brawl tethers don't even make physical sense. The character model doesn't even aim the tether. The tether just like, shoots upwards or downwards, even though the character's arm is aiming straight ahead. It looks unnatural as hell.

Yeah, I know a lot of things in Smash don't make physical sense, but dammit, they look silly.

NeoZ

Smash Ace
And brawl tethers fail when the you get edgehogged.
They're basically long range ledge grabs, melee tethers aren't, they added a lot of versatility to recoveries as well as an increase in range.
EDIT: how did I get ninja'd by 6 minutes, those post weren't there for me a minute ago.

leelue

Smash Lord
You gain and lose tactics with brawl tethers. there is just infi more stuff to do with melee tethers.
Like... interact with your surroundings lol.

also. if tethers ever got changed, what would ivysaur do? olimar? Lucas? these things don't exactly latch onto walls. (not counting things like giving the cursed two of them a different system).

I don't mind either way cuz I don't play link or samus really :smug:

Brian_Link

Smash Cadet
You gain and lose tactics with brawl tethers. there is just infi more stuff to do with melee tethers.
Like... interact with your surroundings lol.

also. if tethers ever got changed, what would ivysaur do? olimar? Lucas? these things don't exactly latch onto walls. (not counting things like giving the cursed two of them a different system).

I don't mind either way cuz I don't play link or samus really :smug:
I main Samus in Melee, and I'm missing my melee tethers when I play link in P:M.

But what I really want (though I imagine it would be a giant pain to do) is have Zamus's Up-B be a Brawl tether, and Side-B be a Melee tether.

ajajayjay

Smash Journeyman
^ I don't know much about samus, but isn't her current up b one of her most important moves for escaping pressure? because she definitely can't shield grab.

Brian_Link

Smash Cadet
^ I don't know much about samus, but isn't her current up b one of her most important moves for escaping pressure? because she definitely can't shield grab.
Notice I said Zamus with a Z for my up-b, side-b thing.

Yes, Up-B out of shield is a very useful tool for Samus with an S, and I don't want it touched.

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
UpB OoS is an excellent tool for escaping shield pressure, somewhat vulnerable at the end. Just space it well.

Or, Samus typically wavedashes out and resets the position. DTilt works too. She has a great CC.

Slashy

Smash Lord
Doesn't that imbalance controller options? Only one controller is capable of lightshielding

At the very least can't powershielding be changed so that it requires a full shield? Melee didn't allow you to change controller options, so lightshielding made complete sense in Melee.

In Project:M, since you can configure your controls this makes it a tech solely due to controller functionality, I don't think that anyone should be forced to adopt a specific control scheme to use a technique. At the very least, if you alter the way powershielding works, you balance the two shielding schemes.

I just tried out the classic controller pro, it feels like a much better controller than the Gamecube controller, even for Smash.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Doesn't that imbalance controller options? Only one controller is capable of lightshielding

At the very least can't powershielding be changed so that it requires a full shield? Melee didn't allow you to change controller options, so lightshielding made complete sense in Melee.
In Project:M, since you can configure your controls this makes it a tech solely due to controller functionality
Just use a Gamecube controller, buddy. Even Sakurai said thr game was meant to be player with a GC controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom