• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TommyDerMeister

Smash Lord
The way I saw this project was getting as close as possible to being Melee, with more characters.

That what I think of when I think Melee 2.0

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Forced item stealing could effectively ruin chaingrabs on characters who can pull them. Seeing as how you can't grab with an item, you'd have to throw it away first and continue chaingrabbing.

Of course, it could be pretty fun with Snake, but yeah if you want to add it in there should be a way to make it optional. Its also not really necessary.

I support Project M aiming to be more then what Melee was. (Better is a subjective term) I also support Blank getting a beta.

Edit: If you still consider item stealing, give it to the pummel subaction and then have it check whether you hold the pummel/hold Z down.

shanus

Smash Hero
please don't turn this into a "better than melee debate."

Instead, I'll tell you all that dantarion made a code for light presses which works wonderfully.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Instead, I'll tell you all that dantarion made a code for light presses which works wonderfully.
Nice distraction. :laugh:

Does it just register that a light press is made, and pulls out a full shield? (Likely) Having full analog shielding eventually would be amazing. :)

Hopefully such a change wouldn't be too "drastic" for Veril to chuck into B+. :dizzy:

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
I think the interesting part will be attaching the shield size (plus modifying shield size to be larger on light press) to match with the amount of press.

GPDP

Smash Ace
This project keeps getting better and better.

Still, the real challenges are gonna be CC (as in reducing knockback by crouching) and damage staling.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Forced item stealing could effectively ruin chaingrabs on characters who can pull them. Seeing as how you can't grab with an item, you'd have to throw it away first and continue chaingrabbing..
Unless this has been fixed recently you CAN grab with an item in hand so as long as you JC grab.

shanus

Smash Hero
I thought I fixed it, but I guess I did not

This project keeps getting better and better.

Still, the real challenges are gonna be CC (as in reducing knockback by crouching) and damage staling.
I can probably make CCing, camelot made a good idea for it. However, I haven't pursued it yet as the current option simply is a bit annoying to program.

@ anub, Light shielding will be possible with Light L/R Presses v2.0 when it can send me a variable I can read in fighter.pac

GPDP

Smash Ace
Oh snap, so analog shielding will be possible? Good stuff.

What will the CCing solution you are envisioning entail?

Eldiran

Smash Lord
Item stealing was optional though in the code he made. So it would need to interface IF B+Z was pressed, force opponent to drop item, pick up item. That's why its hard

Also, I just think the idea is superfluous / unnecessary because it also doesn't have its own animation [to me, every character would need an "item steal" animation for it to truly make sense during a grab.
I gotcha. I do agree it's a bit superfluous to Project M, but I wanted to make sure it was known to be easy (except if it needs to be optional, in which case I haven't the slightest how you'd do it).

As an off-hand interesting idea, item stealing as a character-specific thing could be an interesting balancing tool. Have trouble with Peach/Diddy/Snake/Links? Give 'em a throw that steals items.

Unfortunately it does rather reek of hax as a whole.

On an unrelated note, it's great to hear the news on the analog shielding code!

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I think, when we get analog shielding, we should consider slightly reducing the size of the default shield. Shield-camping as a strategy could stand a bit of a nerf, and it would encourage shield-tilting (i.e. skillful blocking) and making the choice between full shielding and light shielding, something which can only add <D-word which I shall not speak> to the game.

I actually kinda miss the days of Melee G&W where I had to be very careful with my defense...

shanus

Smash Hero
I think, when we get analog shielding, we should consider slightly reducing the size of the default shield. Shield-camping as a strategy could stand a bit of a nerf, and it would encourage shield-tilting (i.e. skillful blocking) and making the choice between full shielding and light shielding, something which can only add <D-word which I shall not speak> to the game.

I actually kinda miss the days of Melee G&W where I had to be very careful with my defense...
well lots not also forget that we have 15 frames of shield endlag again from brawl (7)

but definitely easy to do

Fun fact: unlike most things, shield endlag required its own code since they set it = to a variable which decays instead of normal frame speed!

Machiavelli.CF

Ivy of the West
NNID
Machiavelli.CF
3DS FC
3222-5675-4966
As an off-hand interesting idea, item stealing as a character-specific thing could be an interesting balancing tool. Have trouble with Peach/Diddy/Snake/Links? Give 'em a throw that steals items.
first throw that came to mind was Sonic's back throw.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Not to get off the current topic, but I sort of wanted to bring this up and settle something on it:
Mm, I was talking about this project on GameFAQs and someone suggested, in addition to the 64 Falcon Punch, that Mario should get his 64 USmash back. Now unlike Falcon's USmash, that sounds sexy.
Considering Mario still doesn't have great kill power, it would be awesome to get the of effect of his 64 USmash back.

Rikana

Smash Champion
Quick question. Its regarding Dark Sonic's suggestion a while back. Has there been any thoughts of which character will get the sped up throw animations?

Considering Mario still doesn't have great kill power, it would be awesome to get the of effect of his 64 USmash back.
Is he also talking about the ridiculous hitbox that Mario's uSmash has in 64? I don't think Falcon should get his 64 Falcon Punch anyways. We shouldn't look at 64 unless that one attack is utterly bad in both Brawl and Melee and also needs it. Falcon's Falcon Punch is good the way it was in Melee.

shanus

Smash Hero
Cause that happens all the time...
How about when your hogging the edge and you go to ledgedrop rising dair your opponent (commonplace falco staple). In brawl, even with large warp distance, I would *accidentally* footstool the opponent when just trying to jump. The fact that the action isn't controllable, leads to phantom footstools when the opponent isn't in hitstun or jump or fall just shows its bad programming.,

humble

Smash Ace
Yay for light presses!

Item stealing just shouldn't be in. -_-

And I like optional footstool. :I

Psst, can we add 1 frame more to shield pullout, and decrease the PS window? Its too easy in vBrawl...

Sterowent

Smash Ace
if you're keeping footstools, might i suggest making the, uh...'event box' for it smaller.

and make the footstool less disruptive. or maybe change the effect if the event all together, such as putting an opponent into that one animation spacies got when illusioning into that one cape hitbox.
or something. maybe turn them around, stopping their momentum? it could be a twisting animation off of the victim!

bad suggestions, bad suggestions...but it's not a bad idea to reward a player for getting that close to a specific, minuscule area on an opponent in a game as mobile as P:M. a mediocre idea, but it's not bad.

again, this is all assuming you even have plans for the technique...

ItachiFire2

Smash Rookie
Yay for light presses!

Item stealing just shouldn't be in. -_-

And I like optional footstool. :I

Psst, can we add 1 frame more to shield pullout, and decrease the PS window? Its too easy in vBrawl...
Yeah that would make it feel unmelee like. Also why are smash 64 attacks being added in? I thought project M was suppose to be as much like melee as possible?

Kix

Smash Journeyman
I love the idea of more directional blocking, but I'd think that it would help to make the rolls and dodge a more forceful motion. Shield poking and defense would be more intelligent and I don't think it'd wildly change the way people play. I'd love to at least see this code made/make this code at some point.

Sneak8288

Smash Champion
I love the idea of more directional blocking, but I'd think that it would help to make the rolls and dodge a more forceful motion. Shield poking and defense would be more intelligent and I don't think it'd wildly change the way people play. I'd love to at least see this code made/make this code at some point.
As long as i can light shield bair with spacies once im getting up on a platform when someone tries to hit me i will be happy

GPDP

Smash Ace
The problem with the PS in vBrawl isn't the frame window, but the fact that you don't have to time the button press. If you're holding shield, as long as the shield comes out within the proper window, you can PS, unlike in Melee, where you can only PS by timing the button press.

IMO the PS window should be a frame or two higher than in Melee so it can actually be done with some semblance of regularity, but it should only come out by timing the button press.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I love the idea of more directional blocking, but I'd think that it would help to make the rolls and dodge a more forceful motion.
Agreed. Maybe it's just me but it feels like the difference between tap and tilt in the Brawl engine is more sensitive than it was in Melee. The only reason I can utilt anywhere near consistently is because I can turn tap jump off in this game :p If there was a way to decrease the tap sensitivity (so it takes a quicker motion to tap rather than tilt) that would be fantastic.

Though I can see that might upset some people who have certain actions committed to muscle memory if it changes their feel. Still, I think we should try it if possible just to see how it feels, and pre-open beta is the best time to put something like that in.

The problem with the PS in vBrawl isn't the frame window, but the fact that you don't have to time the button press. If you're holding shield, as long as the shield comes out within the proper window, you can PS, unlike in Melee, where you can only PS by timing the button press.

IMO the PS window should be a frame or two higher than in Melee so it can actually be done with some semblance of regularity, but it should only come out by timing the button press.
You're talking about buffering powershields. The way I understand it, that's only part of the problem. The bigger issue is that, in Brawl, if a hitbox is just grazing the outside edge of the shield bubble when you put it up, it counts as a powershield, but in Melee, the hitbox has to be well within the shield bubble to count as a powershield. That's really why it's so much easier in Brawl, as you can see by powershielding projectiles since buffering powershields doesn't come into play there.

Alphatron

Smash Champion
Shanus made a code that was supposed to remove buffered powershielding a while back, but it didn't truly work. Has anything else been done with that code?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom