• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanus

Smash Hero
So Much off-topic, Awkward Religious Theory.

Can we Post on stUff related to thiS post instead?

abcool

Smash Ace
if everything has been converted back to melee, what is the problem with the speed. what exactly is making project m slower than melee..

Machiavelli.CF

Ivy of the West
NNID
Machiavelli.CF
3DS FC
3222-5675-4966
if everything has been converted back to melee, what is the problem with the speed. what is exactly is making project m slower than melee..
Landing detection and other things make small (couple) frame differences in timings.

The more you play and re-adapt to these small changes then the more smooth and fast the game will feel.

I'm probably not the only one who felt it to be slow and clunky at first. But now its smooth and fast. It was just those little timings that had to re-adjust

I think

abcool

Smash Ace
I don't think it's landing detection. I think it has something to do with the way brawl was created. I don't think it can be sped up. I mean it's faster, but what is making melee feel so much faster?

Machiavelli.CF

Ivy of the West
NNID
Machiavelli.CF
3DS FC
3222-5675-4966
I feel like I can do moves the same speed, but maybe its something along the lines of how physically fast characters move? but I dont know if thats right because they translated it directly from Melee
But I really do think most of it is getting used to a lack of Melee landing detection.
Perhaps the animations make moves seem slower?

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Brawl camera has a lot to do with it. Melee's camera did a much better job at zooming in and out on the action and it zoomed closer in general which makes things look a bit faster. A number of stages (FD and BF) do have a modified camera that is much closer to Melee.

abcool

Smash Ace
I feel like I can do moves the same speed, but maybe its something along the lines of how physically fast characters move? but I dont know if thats right because they translated it directly from Melee
But I really do think most of it is getting used to a lack of Melee landing detection.
Perhaps the animations make moves seem slower?
I believe animations is the culprit. I like project m. I just wanted to know if he converted everything from melee, then that means he changed the speed modifier aswell..if there is one lol

The camera could be it aswell. I'll play melee on fixed camera and see if it changes.

kaizo13

Smash Champion
landing detection is not what makes the major speed difference between Melee and P:M. I think it's just that not all the frame data and animations aren't up to Melee speed yet. pretty close, but u can still feel that subtle difference when switching between games

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Funny thing is, hitboxes are ported but the animations can't be 100% melee. Due to melee animations not being deciphered into .chr0 files. :(
You guys did a good job with the Marth animations though (For Fair, neutral B). Just keep up the smooth animation work and I think we'll be good to go :D

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
There's probably a way to do it mathematically but it'd be bone-by-bone for every single frame which would be very tedious to do. I'm pretty sure there isn't a convenient way to convert Melee's animation format for Brawl.

abcool

Smash Ace
I understand. There is nothing wrong with P:M anyway. Atleast it's better this way for ppl that didn't like melee's fast speed. Thanks for all the answers btw guys.

kaizo13

Smash Champion
yea take a look at Falcon's forward dodge roll......it looks 5x's slower in P:M compared to melee, but they have the same data right? (invincibility frames)

Ecks

Smash Lord
Woah, this thread...

Whatever, It's definitely the animations and the camera (DI too) throwing people off imo. Melee's animations made it feel really solid and the camera's speed only added to the speed of the game. I don't really care about the speed in which it does it, I just want the camera to zoom. That's the main reason I'm not playing brawl plus anymore. (PM camera's a great improvement though)

Machiavelli.CF

Ivy of the West
NNID
Machiavelli.CF
3DS FC
3222-5675-4966
What about the animations is throwing everything off? the length? the actual motions and fluid animations it goes through? What?

We need some frame by frame comparisons I think, if anyone is willing to put them togeather.
That is, in order to see if it really is slower outside of the obvious L.D. or if its just an illusion.

shanus

Smash Hero
We assumed you got caught with not being able to translate the speed over to P:M?
lol, no. Go re-read the last page.

@EternalYoshi - The entire DI system has been rebuilt. Joystick potencies, ASDI, etcetc. The impact is large.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Thank you, jalued. Was figuring somebody else would've took note of my post. I was reading the Workshop General threads though and I had noticed that. Bero's got something really cool to work with there. If you guys totally pro'd out the CPUs so that they worked well with P:M, that'd be balls-to-the-walls amazing.

Or at the very least make them do less stupid things because of the change in the physics and moveset, heh.

iLink

Smash Champion
Am I the only one that got that they are editing the CPU's AI so they wouldn't play like vbrawl?

That was my assumption anyway.

moleman915

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, everyone that has been working with AI has been doing some pretty cool stuff. For those of you that havent seen much on AI, they've made SHL falco, Chain grab falco, and a wavedashing mario. It's all pretty interesting.

Ecks

Smash Lord
I saw a video of two marios's AIs fighting. I don't remember the name of the video since I can't read or speak japanese. :(

Edit:
What about the animations is throwing everything off? the length? the actual motions and fluid animations it goes through? What?

We need some frame by frame comparisons I think, if anyone is willing to put them togeather.
That is, in order to see if it really is slower outside of the obvious L.D. or if its just an illusion.
The animations are just more fluid in brawl. It's kinda like taking animations of SF3 giving them the atributes of SF2 animations. Even though the speed of the animation would be the same, the SF3 ones would look slower due to it having more different sprites per frame. hope that was a good example :/

NeoZ

Smash Ace
I remember seeing dant messing with the cpu's, making them jump around, jabbing, etc., I hope we can see what that translates to soon, cause smart cpu's sound awesome, but with a video we could see how smart they really are(not that I'm doubting you guys).

Dantarion

Smash Champion
Hopefully the AIs dont act like they're in the "Death To All Humans Clan" anymore.
I haven't actually figured out how the CPU's choose a target.

They literally have a target at all times.
When they don't have a target, they seem to taunt most of the time. (Thats why they taunt when they kill.)

They definetly prefer a human target though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom