• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoon~

Smash Ace
Advertising the same game as two different games would just cause confusion and chaos. If casuals want to play it, they'll play it. No need to baby up the name. Like Strong Bad said, it'll be big regardless.

Slashy

Smash Lord
ok, random but potentially awesome idea:
instead of branding p:m as p:m on other forums, create a brand-new mod called Smash All-Stars or something and call it a synthesis of 64/melee/brawl, like rikana's idea above. Then add a new section to the p:m website with Smash All-Stars related material, more colloquial descriptions, and basically pander to the casual crowd. And with every download link, include both a p:m folder and a SAS folder, and tell the casuals to just pick SAS...but, beyond cosmetic changes, have p:m and SAS be exactly the same...thus, p:m avoids the trolling and SAS is advertised on other forums but we get more players anyways, even if they dont realize p:m is the same

is there any way this might work?
People might make a couple of questions though, if you really are calling it the synthesis of 64/Melee/Brawl, you might have to revert or change several things.

-Why is the Result's screen exactly like Melee's?
-Why Mewtwo and Roy? I want some new characters :(
-What happened to <insert move here>? I liked that move and it was better.
-This game is too fast, I want it to be more like 64/Brawl (Melee is the only fast game in the series, Brawl+ was right in the middle)

Even casuals looking for a better Smash game will raise those questions. I will give P:M credit, as it has stages from all three Smash games, something Brawl should have had.

NeoZ

Smash Ace
People might make a couple of questions though, if you really are calling it the synthesis of 64/Melee/Brawl, you might have to revert or change several things.

-Why is the Result's screen exactly like Melee's?
-Why Mewtwo and Roy? I want some new characters :(
-What happened to <insert move here>? I liked that move and it was better.
-This game is too fast, I want it to be more like 64/Brawl (Melee is the only fast game in the series, Brawl+ was right in the middle)
64 is pretty fast next to brawl, especially considering z-cancelling.

Rikana

Smash Champion
instead of branding p:m as p:m on other forums, create a brand-new mod called Smash All-Stars or something and call it a synthesis of 64/melee/brawl, like rikana's idea above. Then add a new section to the p:m website with Smash All-Stars related material, more colloquial descriptions, and basically pander to the casual crowd. And with every download link, include both a p:m folder and a SAS folder, and tell the casuals to just pick SAS...but, beyond cosmetic changes, have p:m and SAS be exactly the same...thus, p:m avoids the trolling and SAS is advertised on other forums but we get more players anyways, even if they dont realize p:m is the same

My idea? lol. I don't think I posted anything.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
2) Ganondorf as has been stated before is really ****ing good without a useful Utilt. If you don't believe me just wait until the demo is out.
Funny how many people are saying "don't buff him, he is already amazing!" when I refuted that argument in my very first post on the subject.

You are making it seem like changing his Utilt in anyway will completely destroy the game's balance, which makes no sense given all the other changes you are making.

You can just make it slightly faster and it will be a slightly better move. It doesn't have to be a main part of his move-set.

Sheik is already a top tier character in melee. We will not intentionally buff top tier characters because....if we did we'd have nobody to compare with when we're trying to balance ****.
Read what I said above.

Also, giving more recovery options may not increase competitive depth, but that's only because it makes recovering too easy. But doesn't that also imply that the character will be *gasp* better? Sheik's mediocre (not even bad really) recovery is one of her primary weaknesses in melee. Giving her a tether that can instantaneously grab the ledge the moment you unoccupied it (which you will have to to refresh your invincibility) would give her a substantially better recovery.

It is not a small buff at all. It is actually a very, very big buff.
What are you talking about? I said that I disagree with a recovery buff because it will take away from the game's competitive depth...

We believe that in his current state he is ALREADY great. We want to see his new metagame develop before we start making new moves or changing how his current ones work

So before we greatly buff a character who's already great...can't we wait a bit to see how he plays out? If we change a move so little that it's still super situational then there's little point in changing it. While if we change it enough to be useful then it's a pretty big buff to the character.
Read what I said above to Falco.

You do realize there is a middle ground between "useless" and "over-centralizingly useful", right?

ClinkStryphart

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClinkStryphart
3DS FC
1891-1406-8889
why not for ganons U-tilt which takes forever just replace it with a sort of weaker version of his U-smash from brawl? Just a thought.

well I got the animation for link primarily done. now just the pain of rotating it and fixing some graphics. it looks a little funny at the moment. for example he'll come down in in pits animation but the whirlwind still comes out on the bottom.

btw does anyone know what file the light beam that comes down is on pits file? just wondering.

I R MarF

Smash Ace

Yeah, along with what everyone else has said, this will simply create more problems. One of the "positive"aspects of Brawl (from a casual standpoint) was the decloning of characters like Falco and [Smaller] Link. People will cry WTF and false advertising when they learn they got old moves back.

NeoZ

Smash Ace
Yeah, along with what everyone else has said, this will simply create more problems. One of the "positive"aspects of Brawl (from a casual standpoint) was the decloning of characters like Falco and [Smaller] Link. People will cry WTF and false advertising when they learn they got old moves back.
The better version of the attack was kept; if no version was good enough, the attack was tweaked or redone.

I think that could serve as an explanation to new people learning about the project.

NeoZ

Smash Ace
IIRC He uses Justin.tv which I believe auto saves the stream. :p
You guys should try using that too, maybe it would fix the lag issues and let us see your dad own you with his upb combos and eruption spam.

Sterowent

Smash Ace
I feel some of these 'buffs' are being exaggerated.

-D-tilt hits just as fast as melee. It IASAs on 34 from melee's 35 at the cost of possibly slightly less range (not more range) and keeping his leg stuck out there after the hit.

-Unangled f-tilt is 40 total from melee's 29(!) in exchange for more ko power. I would easily take the great spacing tool in his melee tilt over a laggy kill move melee Ganon doesn't benefit much from imo. I'd say he's worse off with this thing yet I see it touted as a great buff from his melee self all the time.

-Those chases after side-b don't work the same on every character. Many are too thin to be hit by d-smash on no tech, and I'm pretty sure d-smash doesn't reach behind if they DI in and techroll behind unless they have a really short techroll. Side-b doesn't work for no tech since it grabs, so only down-b chase works to full effect here. The move is an overall plus for sure, but a lot of that stuff really doesn't work off of side-b. Also, none of it applies to aerial side-b as that's too laggy.

-I've found punch on up-b to be relevant during recovery on like 2-3 occasions or something since the hitbox was made a reasonable size that doesn't look stupid.

-Dash attack is the same as melee, though he can boost smash with it because the animation was sped up a bit to match melee.
quoting because magus knows ganon and melee. i had a feeling about the sideB, especially the aerial version, but didn't know about the dtilt/ftilt info.

Proteus

Smash Apprentice
So I have a couple friends who played Brawl with Wiimote/Nunchuck and now (for some reason) prefer it to the GC controller. Has anyone played P:M with Wiimote/Nunchuck and if so, how well do the controls work compared to vBrawl?

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
I'm starting to think I'm the only one who wants ganon's utilt to stay the same lol.
It's not a bad situational move.

I kind of like Ganon's Melee side b more honestly, but I'll wait until I get the game in my hands before I really judge. I used to not appreciate Ganon's Dark Dive (i think it's up-B, right?) until I started to play Melee again and prefer it over brawl's too. It's just another thing I'll have to try out.

Magus makes a lot of good points and I'm glad they're being considered. I love Ganon's Melee ftilt and hope the properties stay mostly the same (maybe a short speed up though?).

Sterowent

Smash Ace
We're already aware and are fixing them. (Magus IS in the PMBR)
yeah, was a bit confused where the disconnect started from, hah. glad to hear of some resolution.

also, his utilt is cool with me, though shearing off any excess frames would not bother me at all.

Ulevo

Smash Master
I would personally prefer Ganons forward tilt from Brawl to stay, mostly for the fact that it in itself is iconic. It's a sparta kick for crying out loud. Not to mention that if it needs to be buffed in order to justify its inclusion over the Melee forward tilt, that's always an option the PMBR has.

This includes his forward special too, which is in my opinion infinitely more useful than his previous alternative.

nawgui

Smash Cadet
I know that ganon:m is complete (or very close to), there is just two things that caught my attention

Although the up-b uppercut is a well needed addition for his recovery, I feel that at the same time the rigid-ness of his up-b took away the mobility he had to angle and weave around like he did in melee and that c.falcon has.

It seems now that he is even more easier to gimp since due to the rigidness of the recovery the only safe approach to recover is under the stage, where as his melee recovery he was able to do his up-b higher up and angle and move himself around a little to add in some mindgame and maybe grab the ledge or land on the stage.

As well needed the uppercut was for his recovery, it almost always seems easily avoided. It was adequate in vBrawl where there wasn't lagless ledges, and people couldn't always refresh their invincibilty frames when on the ledge by simply dropping down and regrabbing the ledge, but with lagless ledges it seems too easy for people to just refresh invicibility frames and not even be concerned with the uppercut, which then in turn leads back to how he seems more gimable and easily edgeguarded than his melee recovery since his best option now seems to recover from beneth the stage making him more prey and susceptible to edgeguarding.

I don't exactly have any propositions to find a fix to this, I don't want to simply give him falcon's up-b, but I don't also want to see a character that already has a problem with being edgeguarded with an even larger problem of being edgeguarded.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
@ Why mewtwo and Roy: my answer would be that it wouldn't be Project M without them. Roy and Mewtwo were in Melee, so therefore, they should have a shot of getting in PM.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
In my opinion: Recoding Brawl to be like Melee is one thing, but advertising Project M to internet casuals is impossible even for people like Dantarion (that is both a prediction and a challenge).

You'll have a hard enough time defending yourself from them, let alone advocating to them.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
The trolls, the brawl fanboys, and the people who hate technical stuff make it such a pain.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Murphy's law, time zones, and obligations can make that tricky.

We should wait next month AFTER pound V to introduce ourselves to those sites.

LOL I made a very dumb typo.

ClinkStryphart

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClinkStryphart
3DS FC
1891-1406-8889
question are you guys going to plan on using any alloy characters? I mean I know that there is a Alloy code or something that allows the use to play as them. Just wondering if your gonna use it to make some characters maybe like DLC later on? or does the CSS take those spots? just wondering.

Revven

FrankerZ
Alloys cannot grab, shield, or do anything besides A attacks (and of course jump and what not) so no they can't be used as slots for DLC characters. Annnnnd no it's not easy to fix that stuff either.

So we would not include them at any point at all.

TL?

Smash Ace
In my opinion: Recoding Brawl to be like Melee is one thing, but advertising Project M to internet casuals is impossible even for people like Dantarion (that is both a prediction and a challenge).

You'll have a hard enough time defending yourself from them, let alone advocating to them.
If you really want to bring new people into P:M you all should probably stop assuming everyone is either a melee purist who own 5 copies of melee, or a brawl player who picks kirby and just jumps really high and uses down b. Most people are somewhere inbetween. Even people who aren't into competitive smash in the least should enjoy all the new stages. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom