• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
I don't see any evidence to suggest that the harsh criticisms from THE MAJORITY of casual players had to do with what they saw at face value.

Obviously if the project interests them, they'll look into the project more and realize that we are copying Melee. The end result is no different, you'd just be adding a pointless middle step.
Taken from the PM website:
"Code: Melee Air Dodge Function: Directional Air Dodge based on analog stick input, stationary Air Dodge when there isn't a directional input, character goes into special fall afterward. Along with the Melee Air Dodge comes the infamous Wavedashing Advanced Technique, a universal spacing tool that adds options to a player's gameplay and adds depth."

This is what I mean by turning off the casual player. Instead of posting this on the main site, a write up like this could be more enticing:

Matrix Aid Dodge: Defy space and time by stopping in mid-air! By doing this move, you also get to dodge anything your opponent throws at you. Watchout though, because after you pull this technique off, you'll run out of energy and go plumetting stragiht down! There are many unique ways to use this move to your advantage (refering to wavedashing of course).

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Lol, I thought the same thing about the Dojo posts :p

Treating us like kids who get excited by exclamation marks and speech that is worded so it seems like the writer is speaking directly to us to convey the information.

leelue

Smash Lord
god... the dojo... what a waste of electrons.

a couple pages back, there was a discussion about Sheik and her chain.
If it released and retracted quickly (in the same vein as ivysaur's up b) would that be acceptable? I mean, that way its a deterrent that would hit places her needles and aerials can't.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
god... the dojo... what a waste of electrons.

a couple pages back, there was a discussion about Sheik and her chain.
If it released and retracted quickly (in the same vein as ivysaur's up b) would that be acceptable? I mean, that way its a deterrent that would hit places her needles and aerials can't.
:p Characters don't need all their moves to be useful.
-DD

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
not sure if this has been asked yet, and since there are currently 1649 pages in this thread i wont go searching.

Ok so on the project M website it names 14 characters who are going to be in the first demo. but on the characters section on the same sight 3 of the characters are missing. I happen to be interested in one of these characters. Now my question is... are these 3 characters not finished yet? if so i understand not putting them up yet. or is someone being a little lazy (which as a somewhat lazy person i would understand as well). I figure the demo is coming out soon to about a months time so all of the characters dont have to be finished yet but with the demo release date being before pound 5 i figure the characters they are showing off all have to be nearly done so i figured i would ask.

Starscream

Smash Ace
For some reason... >_>
Yeah srsly, what up with that. Prime example that gets brought up a lot being Ganon's Utilt. I doubt him having a good/usuable/notextremelysituational/forthelulz Utilt would boost him to top tier status. And even if it did it's not like we couldn't, *gasp*, buff everyone else.

Seems to me that more good moves means more ways to mixup your gameplay and more options. Options are good.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Exactly. I mean, if the reasoning for not buffing moves like Sing is because they are worried about changing the character's playstyle...

That's a pretty weak excuse, it isn't difficult to buff something to the point where it is useable but not over-centralizing. You've already buffed Falcon in such a way with his side-b ledge grab.

Starscream

Smash Ace
And on top of that, Smash Bros movesets are already pretty small compared to traditional fighters. If Project M truly is aimed at the competitive community then we should try to maximize that competitive potential.

Demon-oni

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Thanatos-Demon
3DS FC
0147-1152-7184
At least you aren't in the world of mewtwo, where your character is literally defined by only half his moveset...

leelue

Smash Lord
I think every move should have a moment where its the best option. even rarely.

even captain falcon can punch a missed rest.

but ganons up tilt? if the wind up was cut in half it'd still be a long time... but at least it wouldn't be laughable. I'm sure some tweaking can be done to remove the garbage out of the garbage moves.

Or be edited out completely, like pk freeze.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
So...

About Sheik's chain. One of Sheik's most important weaknesses was her recovery. Allowing her chain to tether the edge would lessen that weakness. Any buff to Sheik:M is a buff to how good she was in Melee, and that's not something we're looking to do.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
So...

About Sheik's chain. One of Sheik's most important weaknesses was her recovery. Allowing her chain to tether the edge would lessen that weakness. Any buff to Sheik:M is a buff to how good she was in Melee, and that's not something we're looking to do.
Not necessarily a recovery buff... Brawl has already shown that giving more options for recovery doesn't increase competitive depth.

It could always be made into a useable attack though, same with Ganon's Up Tilt.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Ganon's u-tilt is basically a completely pointless move.

It's almost the same move as warlock punch...they're both moves with incredible power and extremely high start-up time.

Anyway, I'm not sure if this has been asked before.
Is second jump recovery from brawl being kept?

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Honestly, Shiek is not only very powerful, but also very easy to be good with. Boosting her would greatly upset the game's balance. WHile they do have a "no-nerf" policy, they can't go around boosting everyone.

Edit: I do agree that gannon's U-tilt is a waste of a move.I personally would eithe rmake it a slightly slower Captain Falcon U-Tilt, or replace it by a new one altogether, were I thinking of making a Smash Bros game.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Honestly, Shiek is not only very powerful, but also very easy to be good with. Boosting her would greatly upset the game's balance.
Did you even read my post? :awesome:

Exactly. I mean, if the reasoning for not buffing moves like Sing is because they are worried about changing the character's playstyle...

That's a pretty weak excuse, it isn't difficult to buff something to the point where it is useable but not over-centralizing. You've already buffed Falcon in such a way with his side-b ledge grab.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Ganon's utilt comments: I'd like P:M to be as close as possible to Melee, and as far as possible from other mods, thank you. ;)

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Idk, if they could shave like 1/3rd to 1/4th the charge time off of it, I'd appreciate it. I mean, in terms of what Ganon does, it's not super useful. But I would possibly want to use it when someone ****s up a recovery. That'd be nice.

I don't know if it's just me though, but ftilt and dtilt just look faster with their new animations. If that's so, good. I did want a faster ftilt. It would help Ganondorf so much.

Edit: Hi Monkit!

Ecks

Smash Lord
I always thought ganon should have had falcons 64 usmash. At least as a utilt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom