• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Its affects on recovery and edgeguarding proved to be negative to the game's competitive depth overall. While it gives recovering players more options, it gives edeguarding ones less options. There's no clear gain in competitive depth there.

shanus

Smash Hero
Especially due to the fact that magnet hands while facing backwards also looks incredibly unprofessional, an din many cases, results in unwanted ledge grabs such as wavedashing off stages and snapping, hugging, etc.

GPDP

Smash Ace
What they said. And to add to it, it's hella easy to hog the ledge anyway, especially now thanks to Brawl's RAR mechanic, which allows you to quickly RAR directly into a wavedash, something you couldn't do in Melee.

Jonas

Smash Champion
Now that momentum carries over to jumps, will RAR make a fast character like Captain Falcon take a long jump backwards, or does the turning around stop momentum?

Evilagram

Smash Journeyman
Okay. That makes sense. Thank you. I am happy that reverse wavedashing off the edge is making a comeback, it was one of my favorite tactics in melee.

Will it still be possible to reverse ledge grab in special fall conditions? It was not listed as one of the conditions where you cannot reverse ledge grab on the project M page. And I think it aids recoveries without harming the edgehog complexity too much.

For that matter, what are all the conditions in which reverse ledgegrab are possible?

kaizo13

Smash Champion
honestly tho....RARing to wavedash ledge hog can pretty much be executed just as fast as running off and reverse ledge grabbing so idk >>

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Yeah, and L-canceling has the same effect as auto-L-canceling. The difference is that it takes some amount of skill to execute, just like RAR->WD->edgehog.

I R MarF

Smash Ace
On the subject of reverse grabbing, why can everyone reverse grab on recoveries?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFIKraPH9LY

Skip to 1:23, Marth reverse grabs on recovery from a somewhat absurd distance.

IMO, only certain characters should be able to reverse grab, like vertical recoveries (Fox/Falco/Wolf's up b/ and perhaps Luigi's up b/Sonic's up-b/Diddy's up'b) Spinners (Link/Y Tink/DK/ Bowser) and easy-to-edgeguard recoveries that need the mind games assistance (Ganon, Falcon)

Reverse edgeguarding does make recovering easier, not because it is more practical, but it forgives mistakes. Take intercepted off stage edgeguards for instance, the intercepted player is backed into a wall and has two choices: up-bing away from the stage or ride the stage wall. If the player's character has no reverse up-b, they cannot save themselves; forcing them to take the second option. However, depending on the stage, trying to ride the wall will either take too much of their momentum or even send them straight into the bottom of the stage to their death.

This may be frustrating, but isn't one of P:M's statements to make off stage edgeguarding risky yet rewarding? Well doesn't reverse up-bing make it less riskier? Also, can't Shiek (who doesn't need recovery buffs, hence her tether being taken away) now have the ability to mind game recovery?

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
That thing at 1:23 was due to reverse ledge grab boxes. IIRC we have not been able to edit the reverse ledge grab boxes, we have only been able to edit the forward facing ledge grab boxes.

I R MarF

Smash Ace
That thing at 1:23 was due to reverse ledge grab boxes. IIRC we have not been able to edit the reverse ledge grab boxes, we have only been able to edit the forward facing ledge grab boxes.
Marth recovered from that far because of his reverse ledge grab box. We have been able to modify normal ledge grab boxes but we have not been able to edit the reverse ones yet.
Oh, alright. Thanks.

V-K

Smash Ace
They haven't found a way to access external sound effects. I know it's possible though. In the future they'll figure it out, hopefully they won't hesitate to add the melee sound effects. None of the brawl sound effects sound right lol.
Some Melee sound effects have to come back but others definitely suck imo. Especially some jab sounds are barely hearable.
At some points they did a better job in Brawl.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Are you going to put melee sound effects to PM? For example marths sword swipes when it hits would be nice. I also don't like Metaknight's and Fox's dash sounds. The new powershield sound effect is really nice though, where did you get it?
If they do, it'll be completely optional. I'm personally interested in replacing some effects myself like, indeed, the sword swipes and sword hits (Marth's swipes sound absolutely pathetic in Brawl), the electric sound effects (personally, a few of them are way too loud in Brawl), and especially some of the general hit sound effects like the "WHACK!" of Captain Falcon's Bair and the "THUMP" of his Knee that sound really nice on the whole cast that uses them.

Also, I do believe the action for Fox's initial dash sound was removed. I noticed it wasn't being annoying in one of Cuba's videos when dash dancing. Don't know about Metaknight's. This may be true for a number of characters too. I'd like to add, in case you didn't already know, that Falcon no longer has the clanky metal jingling effects.

And I do quite like SSB64's sword swipe and hit sounds along with both the JPN and US/PAL punch and kick sounds, heh heh.

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
Guys.

GUYS.

THIS IS IMPORTANT.

YOU NEED TO UPDATE THE PROJECT: M SITE!

FORGET ABOUT THE CHARACTERS AND STUFF!

WE NEED TO KNOW!

Will this have widescreen support? How do I know if I have a wide screen?
Please update the main site with this information. It is THE MOST important information!

I'd also like to know: Must I still recover? Is anyone besides Wario special? Will you be adding some time so we can ponder such questions? Up until now?

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
At first I was like "Man, you are so dumb, so very, very dumb."

And then I was like "SAKURAAAIII!!"

Akuma2120

Smash Ace
This will probably be depending on whether the codeset text file is released
I sure hope they release the txt file, I don't know why but whenever I use pre-made gcts the game just refuses to load, it gets to the loading screen and just stays black, so I always have to make the gct myself

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
Guys.

GUYS.

THIS IS IMPORTANT.

WE NEED TO KNOW!

Please update the main site with this information. It is THE MOST important information!

I'd also like to know: Must I still recover? Is anyone besides Wario special? Will you be adding some time so we can ponder such questions? Up until now?

+1 internet for you good sir

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Guys.

GUYS.

THIS IS IMPORTANT.

WE NEED TO KNOW!

Project M will obviously have widescreen support.
You will know if you have widescreen, if you have a widescreen tv obv.
You will always have to recover.
Yes, every character is special.
Maybe.
Maybe.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
The value for that hasn't been found yet. When/If it is, I believe the proposal is a compromise between Brawl and Melee so that it's lenient but not dumb.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
I like the new "clash" sound effects. They sound really cool. I hope they're in the demo.
Yes, it will be in the demo. For those of you who have not heard the new clank sfx, go watch CubaIsDeath's recent videos, when you hear the sword clank that sounds like TIINKK!! that is the sfx that clank is now. :D

ClinkStryphart

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClinkStryphart
3DS FC
1891-1406-8889
Question about reverse recovery ledge grabs. Is peach going to have this. I think it would be a good change for her because imo i think its pretty retarted that shes basically the only character not to have a backwards ledge grab out of up B. I know she isnt going to be able to be played in the demo so thats why im asking.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
Reverse ledge grab and ledge occupancy! I made some advances.

Also, I went from like level 50 to level 75 in wizardry yesterday
sora_melee.rel mutha****as

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Excellent! Glad to see that your wizarding around in the sora_melee.rel is making these advances.

Ulevo

Smash Master
Reverse ledge grab and ledge occupancy! I made some advances.

Also, I went from like level 50 to level 75 in wizardry yesterday
sora_melee.rel mutha****as
Go go go Dantarion!

Question about reverse recovery ledge grabs. Is peach going to have this. I think it would be a good change for her because imo i think its pretty retarted that shes basically the only character not to have a backwards ledge grab out of up B. I know she isnt going to be able to be played in the demo so thats why im asking.
I don't think this matters since all characters can grab the ledge from behind them during special fall now.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
I don't think this matters since all characters can grab the ledge from behind them during special fall now.
It does for peach though, she doesn't go to special fall from umbrella IIRC.

EDIT: I forgot you can hit down, put the umbrella down and go to special fall. That works too.

Rikana

Smash Champion
So is Dantarion learning how to hack some of Brawl's feature by going through the Melee disk? I'm confused.

I like pie.

Ulevo

Smash Master
sora_melee.rel is the main module file of Brawl.
It contains probably about 70% of the game logic.

All ASM
In simple terms, most of the information we need to do the things we want is likely stored within that module file, and Mr. Wizard is going through it now.

This has led to discoveries, like controlling the speed at which the cursor moves on the CSS to select your character, and will hopefully lead to discoveries more important (i.e. Landing Detection, Brawl DI, et cetera)

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Basically. I'm hoping he runs into some really interesting things. That's already kind of neat that he found the CSS cursor speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom