• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

moomoomamoo

Smash Apprentice
I know that there are many other things that everyone would love to do when (if) the clone engine gets finished and released, but one thing that I think would truly be awesome to add to project M would to bring back the brawl-styled attacks for some of the characters that were in brawl.

For example, falco has completely jumped back to melee in every way possible. It would be cool to also see a moveset for falco with the moveset he has from brawl. I'm not saying to bring back the way moves worked in brawl, just the way they looked and stuff. Other characters could be like luigi, mario, game n' watch, bowser.

I figured this could be an easy way to involve more characters when the clone engine is finished, and it wouldn't be the hardest thing to make possible seeing how all the animations would have already been from brawl.

Starscream

Smash Ace
I think he's saying that when the clone engine is finished we could possibly make Melee style Brawl movesets for characters that were changed like Falco. Like keep all his new Brawl moves but say retool the properties of the attacks so they could fit into a Melee paced environment. And then have both Melee Falco and Brawl-Melee Falco be selectable. Obviously not something that will probably be an official part of P:M ever but a possibility for an enthusiastic moveset maker nonetheless.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
This is from a few pages back, but nobody answered the question when somebody asked it.

All the modified sound effects are coming from other places in Brawl. For example, the powershield sound is the Franklin Badge reflecting sound. Fox's shine has a sound that came from some item or something.

Youngling

Smash Journeyman
Suggestion for TL/YL.

In melee, yl's fsmash is worthless. The first hit has almost no kb, and it doesn't connect with the second hit.

MY IDEA:
leave the first hit how it is, and take out the second. This will allow for things like fsmash-jab/utilt/whatever. Sorta like jab canceling, but with fsmash.
Feedbackwudbcool

Gust14

Smash Apprentice
What would change removing the second slash? if you just want to hit whit the first one press A just once, right?? (or maybe they changed that)

Still I like the idea of fsmash's first slash into jabs and tilts, I imagine it would function similar of snake's ftilt first hit

Ulevo

Smash Master
Question pertaining to Link: Are you guys going to keep the red sword effect on his spin he has now, or are you going to go for a bluish-purple effect to replicate melee's spin?

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
I know that there are many other things that everyone would love to do when (if) the clone engine gets finished and released, but one thing that I think would truly be awesome to add to project M would to bring back the brawl-styled attacks for some of the characters that were in brawl.

For example, falco has completely jumped back to melee in every way possible. It would be cool to also see a moveset for falco with the moveset he has from brawl. I'm not saying to bring back the way moves worked in brawl, just the way they looked and stuff. Other characters could be like luigi, mario, game n' watch, bowser.

I figured this could be an easy way to involve more characters when the clone engine is finished, and it wouldn't be the hardest thing to make possible seeing how all the animations would have already been from brawl.
this guy is asking for 2 selectable Falco characters. One that is the current melee Falco and one that is a hybrid of Brawl/Melee Falco.

ClinkStryphart

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClinkStryphart
3DS FC
1891-1406-8889
It does for peach though, she doesn't go to special fall from umbrella IIRC.

EDIT: I forgot you can hit down, put the umbrella down and go to special fall. That works too.
ya but if you go into special fall and hit down wont you fast fall past the ledge?

Pimpfish

Smash Journeyman
hey can someone post me a vid of rob pm i cant seem to find any. that would be killer.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
ROB is on our list of characters that we're not posting videos of.
OMG. Why do people even care about stuff like this?
Dunno. Sometimes it changes how the character "feels." Sometimes, it really doesn't.

For example, did anybody notice that we had changed the arrow trail color? It's blue now! Like Melee!

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Aesthetics are a fine point, sure, but most of the Brawl animations are prefectly pleasing. The only time I'd rather have a melee animation is when a move just doesn't make sense without it.

I think this total rejection of everything that is Brawl is a little immature is all I'm saying. It's one thing to believe Brawl gameplay is inferior to Melee's (total subjective call, but still), it's another thing to reject Brawl art, animations, textures, and stages because "Melee was better."

For instance, I don't see the need for Melee FD, Brawl FD is fine. This aversion to change is really disturbing, and unhealthy, plus these stage textures are 10 years old now and look very outdated, and hurt the polish of the overall product. Why not new textures/models/stages textures?

Revven

FrankerZ
Melee FD is not just an aesthetic reason, it's bigger than Brawl FD is and the collisions for sliding up the thing make a lot more sense (even if the lips for Brawl FD had fixed collisions). A lot more people just like the more "round" FD than the "rectangular matching the collision shape" Brawl has.

Life

Smash Hero
SFP: At least they apparently kept Brawl BF. (Well, changed the size of it, but didn't replace it with Melee BF just for the sake of doing so)

Ulevo

Smash Master
OMG. Why do people even care about stuff like this?
Yo, it was just a question. You know, out of curiosity. I wasn't planning on making a big deal about it. Please refrain from being a brat next time someone is asking a simple inquiry.

Also, if you don't like these textures and other aesthetic changes, there is no reason you can't modify them yourself to your taste when the project is finished. I already plan on doing small but tasteful tweaks of my own.

And another thing. Just because the concept for most of the aesthetic changes came about from an older game doesn't mean the textures themselves are outdated. Melee's new Final Destination looks like it used to, but in high quality Brawl rendering graphics. I think you're making blind comparisons, here.

kaizo13

Smash Champion
i know Link is keeping Brawl arrows (for the most part) but can he atleast get his melee angles? :/

i find arrowz more fun for onstage play than to knock them off stage across the map, but i guess thats what the boomerangs for huh? (but having both is good for mix-ups)

personally i would prefer melee arrows (the way it pops them up is so much more useful imo)....they were good in Melee, they just had too much end-lag and didn't charge fast enough

plz considerate Shadic x_x

EDIT: Brawl arrows are boring :x

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
plus these stage textures are 10 years old now and look very outdated, and hurt the polish of the overall product. Why not new textures/models/stages textures?
It's a Gamecube game. It's not like we're dealing with N64 or PS1 textures or SNES sprites. They're as modern as you can get without being a current system.

Ulevo

Smash Master
I agree with Kaizo about the Melee angles. Right now an uncharged arrow seems to drift too far, while Melees had a much wider range of angles you could position to fire it with.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
Aesthetics are a fine point, sure, but most of the Brawl animations are prefectly pleasing. The only time I'd rather have a melee animation is when a move just doesn't make sense without it.

I think this total rejection of everything that is Brawl is a little immature is all I'm saying. It's one thing to believe Brawl gameplay is inferior to Melee's (total subjective call, but still), it's another thing to reject Brawl art, animations, textures, and stages because "Melee was better."

For instance, I don't see the need for Melee FD, Brawl FD is fine. This aversion to change is really disturbing, and unhealthy, plus these stage textures are 10 years old now and look very outdated, and hurt the polish of the overall product. Why not new textures/models/stages textures?
ewww brawl fd is garbage

and the reason why we want to see all the melee art/animations/textures/stages is... well, I like to make the Sonic the hedgehog analogy.

Back in the early 90s, Sonic the Hedgehog games were...*gasp*... good. During that time, this is what Sonic looked like:

Then, Sonic games became ****ing awful, and for some reason, Sonic transformed into this creature:

The new Sonic reminds everyone of the new, crappy Sonic games that are horrible. The classic Sonic reminds everyone of the good old times.

The same could be said of Melee and Brawl. We don't want Brawl FD because it reminds us of brawl.

and brawl sucks.

FireBall Stars

Smash Ace
LOLOL

It's just because the purple-ish slash from Spin attack is more eye pleasing. It's beautiful, while Brawl Link's UpB is a simple orange slash.

Please, do not make Sonic analogy. Adventures were good.

Ulevo

Smash Master
Yeah, fortunately for some of us that played the Sonic franchise, we stumbled on this game called Sonic Adventure 2, so my mind doesn't hold a grudge against a Sonic that clearly did a good job losing a few pounds and maintaining his hair properly.

For Smash, there isn't a middle ground. But that's not any reasoning I'd use.

Life

Smash Hero
anth0ny: Ah, but then I can dispute your premise, as, while not necessarily AS good as classic Sonic, I find it hard to call SA, SA2B, Colors, and (IMO, at least) Unleashed and Secret Rings bad. This transfers over to the Smash analogy because, while you hate Brawl, your opinion is not the only one. I personally enjoy both and don't really hold an opinion on which is better. If I could, I'd have a Brawl-like texture on Melee FD. Which I could do as aesthetics are aesthetics.

fake edit: ninja'd by Ulevo, but I already wrote the post so I'll put it up anyway.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion

I agree with you to an extent. While Brawl FD did have its problems, there was no reason for the PM team to scrap it altogether. The size could have been readjusted and the ledges could have been changed to match the original's. I don't happen to have a particular preference between Melee's and Brawl's final destination, but I think keeping Brawl's FD as the default would be more logical.

Another thing. Why was Dream Land 64 HD cut? I liked the updated version opposed to the Smash 64 one.

wildvine47

Smash Ace
I have a really fast request for you guys.

Could you post the code you used to make it so the characters scream when hit with a strong attack, like in Melee? I just wanted to make it so that regular Brawl characters did this. I tried to PSA it myself, but I'm a noob at that, so I couldn't figure anything out.

Sterowent

Smash Ace
they generally don't release any coding. look into the demo for that kinda thing, or i'm sure someone in the custom content could help. just sayin.

Revven

FrankerZ
Another thing. Why was Dream Land 64 HD cut? I liked the updated version opposed to the Smash 64 one.
Three reasons:

1) Size was way off and resizing it required way too much work (you'd literally be doing probably a week or two of work just resizing the thing)
2) The textures messed up
3) Wind wouldn't ever work

Plus Mewtwo2000 had DL64 done in literally like 3-4 days. It makes way more sense to adopt that Dreamland than stick with the old one with all of those problems + having to take way more time to fix them when we could have a really aesthetically pleasing, wind working, correct Melee size Dreamland 64 stage versus the old one. (Professional look versus unprofessional look, not dissing Froho or anything he did a wonderful job for the amount of effort and work he put into that Dreamland).

As far as Brawl FD is concerned, we had resized it (though it wasn't exact anyway), we had fixed the lips. It just looks terribly awkward in general especially when trying to make it look like Melee by applying the texture we had over it. Plus, the lips in most cases still didn't work for some characters (Diddy Kong, Lucas, Ness) making them crash against it and dying easily because of being off by 1 inch. And again, it doesn't "feel" professional when you have lips sticking out like that and you slide upwards against them. It looks like a "hack" job, sure it makes the stage play better but it doesn't look aesthetically good especially when a few characters don't slide up along it still.

Melee FD is more than just an aesthetic change. It makes recovering for some characters (see the ones above) vastly different because they don't have to deal with the lips that stick out if they're recovering from an angle/vertically. It's for gameplay reasons, we wouldn't change some stage just for aesthetic reasons... look at Battlefield. We resized it and made it match Melee collisions (minus the underside of course) but kept the Brawl look and ledges. Why? Because both of those things were actually done well.

We wouldn't change something like Mushroomy Kingdom's textures just because they look uber realistic and not anything like the original Super Mario Bros. We're not hung up over stuff like that, it's just the overall appeal and how it affects gameplay. Like we've been saying countless times, textures are completely optional (unless they are a completely custom stage like Melee FD). You can happily play with Brawl textures if you like or even get rid of the stages we put in. Just realize that at tournaments, you need those stages we have in the game.

DiamondbodySharpshooter

Smash Journeyman
ewww brawl fd is garbage

and the reason why we want to see all the melee art/animations/textures/stages is... well, I like to make the Sonic the hedgehog analogy.
Sir, I must say. You have succeeded to strike a nerve. In short, "I mad." But I won't touch upon something that is purely subjective as well as purely conjecture.

To be honest, I do not see the appeal in changing such small things as the color of a slash or the color of a laser. What people forget is that Project: M is not Melee. Yes, Brawl did have issues, many many issues. But Brawl has the edge when it comes to aesthetics for the most part. The "Feel" of a game should be a purely optional choice either way, and seems like a petty thing to force into this melding of games.

I will concede that Melee's Final Destination should be in; in a way it is a symbol of the nostalgia of when we first beat single player; it is a symbol of the analysis of the game's mechanics as well as it's metagame; it is the symbol of how Melee is seen by the masses, for better or for worse. And besides, it's bigger. (though definitely release a Brawl FD with the same camera, ledges, and whatnot for people who want to play on Brawl's FD. When there's time, of course.)

wildvine47

Smash Ace
they generally don't release any coding. look into the demo for that kinda thing, or i'm sure someone in the custom content could help. just sayin.
I tried in custom content, it took a few days for one person to respond with a nonhelpful answer. And I don't think I'm asking for anything that big. I just want the coding for the scream.

Or someone who could show me how to do it myself.

Ulevo

Smash Master
Three reasons:

1) Size was way off and resizing it required way too much work (you'd literally be doing probably a week or two of work just resizing the thing)
2) The textures messed up
3) Wind wouldn't ever work
While I'd take the Dreamgreens stage over the inferior aesthetics of Dreamland 64 any day of the week, I understand not wanting to redo all that work. But I thought the wind was working on that stage? Just port it over Green Greens?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom