• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
This makes me wonder, has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
You've got to be kidding me. I've been further even more decided to use even go need to do look more as anyone can. Can you really be far even as decided half as much to use go wish for that? My guess is that when one really been far even as decided once to use even go want, it is then that he has really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like. It's just common sense.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Unless it depends on strict timing due to landing detection such as mario's bair waveland, then it is either VERY strict timing, or not possible due to landing detection.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
The smashfest I'm going to this weekend will be hosted by a swedish player called Kuja and will have the following players:

Kuja (host, decent Falcon player)
Nedech (best Donkey Kong in Europe)
Dev (excellent Fox/Marth ; top 10 in sweden)
Rocky (good Falcon player)
MikeHaggarKJ (also a good Falcon player)
Armada (lol)
Android (Armada's little brother, a very good Sheik player)
A few danish players and maybe more...

I can potentially record a lot of the action that's gonna unfold there. =)

ValTroX

Smash Ace
LOL. One of the guys on Kotaku obviously doesn't read. He thinks we're cutting out some characters for this project. Wow. Just wow.
Kotaku readers are becoming more idiotic as time goes by, it might become the next gamefaqs soon. I just can't wait for the day the team finishes this, I will watch all the people that talk s*** about it drown in their own words...and it will be great ;)

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I wonder if it's Nintendo fanboys considering it a taboo to alter the way a Nintendo game plays.

DiamondbodySharpshooter

Smash Journeyman
I honestly think when the demo comes out, as many people as possible should start uploading Brawl matches without much detail; that is to say, leave it as "XXX(Fox) vs XXX(G&W) and mention Project M only in the tags, if that much. No mention of it in the description or anything. More of a "show don't tell" thing that only explains things when necessary.

The reason I'm thinking this is for three reasons:
1. Everytime I watch a good Brawl video, I see someone comment on how awesome a certain technique, improvised or otherwise, was done. Since we have those aplenty, people will be asking questions.

2. You're not outright saying that it's Project: M. So there is no stigma of "Hurrdurr gb2Meeeeeleeee" or people saying that people shouldn't be modding wiis. They actually need to see what the video is before they can cast judgment.

3. The people who will be looking for demo videos are the developers and the peeps who are hyped up on the P:Mness. But stragglers who wanna see a good match who don't really have an opinion will most likely see these as well. And when they see these, bricks on aisle five from the greatness that has been brought forth!

I'm also thinking we need a universal "How To Use Project: M" video, demonstrating the methods of SmashStack, Riivolution, and GeckoOS (especially the first one for the people who are afraid of the wii modding.)

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
I feel like a lot of the "new" characters like Wario, ZSS, Snake, etc. are destined to be mid tier level (like Doc, Ganon, Samus etc) because they don't have anything overwhelmingly powerful like a lot of amazing melee top tier characters, and also because they tend to be quite one-dimensional (Snake's entire game seems to revolve around explosive kills). They're all good, just not great. Any comment?

Except Ike. Ike is really gay.

OverLade

Smash Hero
There is such an incredible compilation of people working on this project. I'm so sorry that I've been unable to contribute more and be a part of this incredible project...

Soldner Kei

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SoldnerKei
the only AT I want to check out is the glide bomb recovery, it's seems that it won't be like bomb recovery in melee, so I want to try out that ;)

Revven

FrankerZ
I feel like a lot of the "new" characters like Wario, ZSS, Snake, etc. are destined to be mid tier level (like Doc, Ganon, Samus etc) because they don't have anything overwhelmingly powerful like a lot of amazing melee top tier characters, and also because they tend to be quite one-dimensional (Snake's entire game seems to revolve around explosive kills). They're all good, just not great. Any comment?

Except Ike. Ike is really gay.
You can't really say this until the game is out tbh. There's different feelings on where characters are on a "tier list" all over the country. One region thinks Snake is top tier another region thinks he isn't... it's different everywhere really. And there haven't been any tournaments yet where these characters actually have placings.

As for someone like Wario, I tend to disagree about him being "mid tier". He's definitely higher than that IMO. But that's me... and the game isn't done yet so even my opinion doesn't really hold any weight on it atm.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
You can't really say this until the game is out tbh. There's different feelings on where characters are on a "tier list" all over the country. One region thinks Snake is top tier another region thinks he isn't... it's different everywhere really. And there haven't been any tournaments yet where these characters actually have placings.

As for someone like Wario, I tend to disagree about him being "mid tier". He's definitely higher than that IMO. But that's me... and the game isn't done yet so even my opinion doesn't really hold any weight on it atm.
Pound V will be our first idea of that I guess.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
As Falco400 said, tiers differ by countries and even over time.

Players discover new techniques, for example. I remember, for the longest time, the highest were Sheik and Marth. In Canada and Japan, Falco was the highest and Fox second highest. Now today, Fox and Falco jumped a little over Marth and Shiek on the USA tiers list.

(The Japanese tiers list, I don't have it, but it's commonly agreed that these two are the best over there)

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
An overwhelming goal with character balance was to make as many characters possible high tier viable for more balance, on top of that, characters can be tweaked if it turns out they don't work out well.

We're obviously not going to ever be able to prevent a top and bottom tier, but we can try to make the gap a lot smaller.

Look how well Taj can wreck with a Bottom tier character. Now, imagine a much more balanced game where you're not necessarily bad when you're bottom tier. In Project M, the goal is to be able to win with any Character, no Ganons that are hopeless with 100:0 match ups like bananas.

...Unless the clone engine works better, to the point we can squeeze Pichu in. Might be worth having a joke character just to have someone to say "HA, I beat you with Pichu!"

Alphatron

Smash Champion
I honestly think when the demo comes out, as many people as possible should start uploading Brawl matches without much detail; that is to say, leave it as "XXX(Fox) vs XXX(G&W) and mention Project M only in the tags, if that much. No mention of it in the description or anything. More of a "show don't tell" thing that only explains things when necessary.

The reason I'm thinking this is for three reasons:
1. Everytime I watch a good Brawl video, I see someone comment on how awesome a certain technique, improvised or otherwise, was done. Since we have those aplenty, people will be asking questions.

2. You're not outright saying that it's Project: M. So there is no stigma of "Hurrdurr gb2Meeeeeleeee" or people saying that people shouldn't be modding wiis. They actually need to see what the video is before they can cast judgment.

3. The people who will be looking for demo videos are the developers and the peeps who are hyped up on the P:Mness. But stragglers who wanna see a good match who don't really have an opinion will most likely see these as well. And when they see these, bricks on aisle five from the greatness that has been brought forth!

I'm also thinking we need a universal "How To Use Project: M" video, demonstrating the methods of SmashStack, Riivolution, and GeckoOS (especially the first one for the people who are afraid of the wii modding.)
I honestly agree with this. The people who bash Project M may not even want to watch the videos. But if they don't know they're watching a Project M vid until after they've watched it, then maybe their opinions will change. Stating that its Project M in the video description or tags alone may eliminate the negative and ignorant attitude that Project M receives from those who don't know too much about it, but decide to talk about it anyway.

Yeah, I'm well aware of what Project M is being designed for. But there's no reason to keep it popular only within a select circle of people once it nears completion.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
My WIP Pichu is probably top tier right now, since I implemented almost every idea I had for him.

However, since I hit a huge snag on the Clone Engine, it probably won't be in P:M for a while.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Mewtwo2000 just released Dreamland 64 which got everything down to a tee including the wind. Will it be used over the previous DL64 hack?

EDIT: Also, the classic at the bottom of this page should be used at least once in the P:M How to Play video :D

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
IMO you should but up the Pichu:M and Mewtwo:M pacs (or any other characters you may be intending, for that matter) up when they're ready, even if the clone engine isn't, just so people can try them out.

:3

Evoke

Smash Apprentice
Missing a period at the end of first paragraph in About.
But anywayssssss

Soooo hyped for this, my neighborhood's primarily an anti-melee/brawl mod community save me and two others, but they might get into melee if they play this. Some of them actually look forward to this (melee's graphics suck crap apparently) so yeah sounds good.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
^LMAO Dantarion is so good.
While we tried as best we could to balance the current cast of well-polished characters, we can't do much without a decent amount of tournament data to go off of. We could tweak them until they "felt" right but even then it wouldn't be guaranteed to be accurately balanced. Currently we hope that the demo will provide us with a decent knowledge of tournament viability to where we can balance Snake & Lucas well, and perhaps learn from those two characters as to how we handle characters such as Wario and ZSS in the future.
Mewtwo2000 just released Dreamland 64 which got everything down to a tee including the wind. Will it be used over the previous DL64 hack?
Yeah, it was in the official build before it was released on BrawlVault. :p

Ulevo

Smash Master
I hope people test the heck out of Link when the demo is released, and put in some heavy criticism. He's been low tier in every game, and I'd really like to see him rise, but I myself don't main him. He's the only character the development team has tweaked that I still have skepticism about because it just seems like they have given us Melee Link again (which is awesome) but with albeit small or insignificant improvements that won't impact his placements significantly.

Don't tell me I'm wrong, because I really hope I am. :awesome:

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
I honestly agree with this. The people who bash Project M may not even want to watch the videos. But if they don't know they're watching a Project M vid until after they've watched it, then maybe their opinions will change. Stating that its Project M in the video description or tags alone may eliminate the negative and ignorant attitude that Project M receives from those who don't know too much about it, but decide to talk about it anyway.

Yeah, I'm well aware of what Project M is being designed for. But there's no reason to keep it popular only within a select circle of people once it nears completion.
I think this is a pretty good idea too. We already have our core audience hooked; that's why they're watching videos in the first place. But those "troll" type people... A lot of them probably don't even know what Project M is, and discriminate against it based solely on the stigma that (they think) it has. If they're not explicitly told what PM is in the video title, they'd probably watch it anyway and not even realize what it is. Sure, most of them would probably check the tags or figure it out anyway and troll like they normally would, but I bet that occasionally there would be some people, who act like trolls online but are open minded in real life, who would gain genuine interest in the game.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Yeah, it was in the official build before it was released on BrawlVault. :p
Bah, I should've figured as much, heh.

I hope people test the heck out of Link when the demo is released, and put in some heavy criticism. He's been low tier in every game, and I'd really like to see him rise, but I myself don't main him. He's the only character the development team has tweaked that I still have skepticism about because it just seems like they have given us Melee Link again (which is awesome) but with albeit small or insignificant improvements that won't impact his placements significantly.

Don't tell me I'm wrong, because I really hope I am. :awesome:
I'm no pro, but I absolutely can't wait to try out Link and see how he feels. I've been constantly tweaking my B+ Link to make him feel a lot better as a lowly substitute before the P:M demo comes out. I feel that the startup and lag frame decrease on moves in addition to his improved projectile game will help him significantly. The only other thing that I'd die for Link to have is his 64 FSmash, but that's just a wish really.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I'd be testing the hell out of Link, Ulevo, except for one small problem: Ganondorf will be in the demo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom