• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

yourface191

Smash Apprentice
i have a few questions.. has anything been done to olimar to give him more reliable jump. and how is bowser working? also are there any videos where i can see the progress

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Because they liek that it has moar characturz and stagezz and Sawnic and Sneike and Fynul smashez..

:):):):):):):):):):)

That's gonna start flame wars. >_<

Haven't they learned to use Screwattack's rule of ONE GAME PER FRANCHISE?!

When they did a list, SA chose Melee. >:)

MOVING ON, can we stop with teh leaks?!?

Smoom77

Smash Master
Because they don't play melee.

That list is ********, Ocarina of time is WAY down there and it has like all 9+ ratings.

Darkshooter

Smash Ace
Maybe it's because it 6 am and I'm really ****ing tired, but, could you guys just.... just.... make a really really bad video of P:M and just... make it your promo video? I mean, I see all this awesome **** you're doing, and the ONLY thing, and I mean the ONNNNNLLLLYYYYY thing it's doing is making me think AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, I WANT THIS ****ING GAME IN MY WII RIGHT NOW A;LWEF;ALWKJEFL;AKJWE, even if it's "not perfect" or "not ready". I'm not saying that you should rush and put out a **** game, because obviously that would just suck. But could you just... just... not let us know what it is that we're waiting for?

Human beings are not designed to wait this long for things. I mean as kids, the longest we have to wait for anything is less than a year. And My birthday's in ****ing May, so between that and Christmas, I didn't have to wait to long to get **** that I wanted.

So for your next big hype video, could you just really **** it up and just make is a sack of ****? Put in something like tripping, except instead of tripping, you just die, randomly. You run, and then ARHGHGHGH, you die. The background music is just the sound of 8 pigs just ****ing each other in the ***, and the stage you play on is just a dead body, you play smash on a dead body.

So to sum up, please just get on that, I mean, I really need it.

I hereby declare that this is the new intro for Melee 2.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dx5JZOTCisY

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Wait did the Kazzam genie rap with the quote:

"Let's green egg and ham it."

WTF?

and why did he sleep with that little boy????

>_< the writers are morons.

Take the hint and change the subject

Rikana

Smash Champion
Maybe it's because it 6 am and I'm really ****ing tired, but, could you guys just.... just.... make a really really bad video of P:M and just... make it your promo video? I mean, I see all this awesome **** you're doing, and the ONLY thing, and I mean the ONNNNNLLLLYYYYY thing it's doing is making me think AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, I WANT THIS ****ING GAME IN MY WII RIGHT NOW A;LWEF;ALWKJEFL;AKJWE, even if it's "not perfect" or "not ready". I'm not saying that you should rush and put out a **** game, because obviously that would just suck. But could you just... just... not let us know what it is that we're waiting for?

Human beings are not designed to wait this long for things. I mean as kids, the longest we have to wait for anything is less than a year. And My birthday's in ****ing May, so between that and Christmas, I didn't have to wait to long to get **** that I wanted.

So for your next big hype video, could you just really **** it up and just make is a sack of ****? Put in something like tripping, except instead of tripping, you just die, randomly. You run, and then ARHGHGHGH, you die. The background music is just the sound of 8 pigs just ****ing each other in the ***, and the stage you play on is just a dead body, you play smash on a dead body.

Play brawl.

ManEg

Smash Journeyman

You know what I've been thinking? To you and many of us, the day PM graces our Wii will be one of the most important days of our lives; but for the developers, it'll just be Tuesday...

Bonus points if you catch the reference xD

JOE!

Smash Hero
@Drpepper

after watching the vids it seems top-level melee camping is more in short bursts to force an approach, then act accordingly.

However, why would it necessarily be a bad idea/design to have a character who is extra-hard to approach in return for having not *as* good of an up-close game (whereas Falco is kindof a balance)

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
However, why would it necessarily be a bad idea/design to have a character who is extra-hard to approach in return for having not *as* good of an up-close game (whereas Falco is kindof a balance)
It wouldn't, though that's not really what we're going for in this project.

If you're talking about ROB specifically, ROB does have a solid up-close game. He also has an excellent mid-close range game. He out-Marths Marth in a lot of ways. I really like that aspect of him though, which is why I'd rather focus on that than leave him the ability to camp as hard as he could in Brawl. Though I'm not planning to completely rework his projectiles in any way. Just an adjustment or two to encourage more offensive play (and work his current projectiles into that).

Frankly there just aren't any real holes in his gameplay at the moment to justify allowing him to camp like he could in Brawl. In Brawl his weaknesses were a lack of kill power and being easy to juggle. Those weaknesses are nearly nonexistant at the moment, primarily due to a (admittedly overbuffed) nair. If you caught me on the stream last Friday you know what I mean. That's why I'm bringing some aspects of him back to the drawing board. That's also why I'm not putting up videos of him for the public. He's just not ready yet.

FireBall Stars

Smash Ace
Oh man, that extended much more pages than I have predicted, it was pretty amusing I must say.

Anyway, ROB's SideB e UpB instantly remembered me of Biometal Model HX in Megaman ZX when I saw it at first.

*Voting for Melee*

Where can I find the poll for Melee? D:

Demon-oni

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Thanatos-Demon
3DS FC
0147-1152-7184
Lol at that nair. Little too powerful for the range that it has. Plus the fact melee airdodge doesn't help the best to avoid it.

Though honestly, i think his bair had to have been reworked a decent amount. Otherwise that move would've been gimp central at that tournament.

Scufo

Smash Apprentice
So, this has probably been brought up before but it's something I'm curious about.

Do you guys have any ideas on what can be done to Olimar? Seems to me like he'd be one of, if not THE hardest character to port over. His playstyle is completely campy and very much not in the spirit of Melee. He also has a pretty strong random factor with his pikmin.

Also, do his pikmin even keep up properly in Melee physics? Can you WD all over the stage and still have pikmin close enough to use?

Demon-oni

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Thanatos-Demon
3DS FC
0147-1152-7184
I wouldn't say that random factor is as much of a problem with olimar. It really depends on the type of character you're fighting then try to knockout to get a favorable stage or cp the best one. And even then it didn't change his gameplay that much.

His main problems i would say for transferring is yeah his very campy nature, and his recovery i can't imagine being feasible in a melee environment. Upped gravity plus non fantastic second jump = 30% gimp pretty consistently. How is that going to work?

JOE!

Smash Hero
the scarier thing is that he has nigh gaurenteed 0-90+ combos on most chars in brawl within seconds due to pikmin toss and grab stuffs... imagine him with melee stun + fallspeed and his Killpower o_O

shanus

Smash Hero
Realize the hitstun constant in brawl and melee are actually identical. The difference is lag, gravity/physics, DI, and the stupid vertical knockback boost brawl adds.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Lol at that nair. Little too powerful for the range that it has. Plus the fact melee airdodge doesn't help the best to avoid it.

Though honestly, i think his bair had to have been reworked a decent amount. Otherwise that move would've been gimp central at that tournament.
Are you referring to ROB? Bair hasn't been touched.

Realize the hitstun constant in brawl and melee are actually identical. The difference is lag, gravity/physics, DI, and the stupid vertical knockback boost brawl adds.
And the fact that you can act out of hitstun in Brawl.

Scufo

Smash Apprentice
Yeah the fact that you can airdodge/attack out of hitstun means that while the hitstun is technically the same between the two, in practice it really isn't. And that's on top of all the physics changes and crap that also serve to make combos impossible.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
I'd be down for looking. In fact, that's what I've been doing since I posted that.
I write video game music for a living and have a few unused songs from projects that were cancelled (or just rejected pieces):

http://www.sendspace.com/file/6wf6ch - This song is called burning and was written for an RPG title screen/opening theme. I always thought it sounded like good trailer/title screen music or something, if you want it you can have it. Just credit me.

The composition is a little outdated though, and repetitive (it was written to the specifications of the company I was employed with), so if you're not interested I could just write something, too.

I also have some other pieces of music that are based on other video games (like a house remix of Green Hill Zone) and some other songs you guys might be interested in using, since this is sort of a video game-themed thing.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/7dkt0l Here's a bonus snow song, supposed to repeat in a sort of snow field from the same game.

I dunno, I can help you guys out with something if you want.

Demon-oni

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Thanatos-Demon
3DS FC
0147-1152-7184
Really? Im surprised you weren't more aggressive when you knocked someone off the edge then if the bair hasn't been touched. That bair hitbox lasts a dangerously long time. Then again, lack of P:M experience may be why i think that would be a good idea... I know it's not coming within the next month, but it would be awesome if the open beta was released before March.

Of course, not until DI, landing detection, and moderate attempts at balance are done.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Really? Im surprised you weren't more aggressive when you knocked someone off the edge then if the bair hasn't been touched. That bair hitbox lasts a dangerously long time. Then again, lack of P:M experience may be why i think that would be a good idea... I know it's not coming within the next month, but it would be awesome if the open beta was released before March.
It's a combination of fair also lasting a long time and gimping pretty well, ROB's recovery not being as long and safe as it was in Brawl, and intercepting recoveries offstage no longer being the only way to edgeguard (thanks to no auto-sweetspot ledges). I'll still go for it if I see a good opportunity but I generally play it safer.

Demon-oni

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Thanatos-Demon
3DS FC
0147-1152-7184
It's probably me not used to/knowing how well his new recovery works. He only gets around 3 blasts for up/side b, right? Still, they go decently far. I just like the bair because it has strong horizontal KB, with melee gravity i can only imagine it being more dangerous. I do like having a WoP type effect with his fair though.

Although I think I know the answer, are you guys going to bring back the melee edge hogging roll or leave it as it was in Barwl?

Dantarion

Smash Champion
We currently can't change it, and if we do, we will most likely want to make it inbetween Melee and Brawl.

Not "omg, the character is nowhere near the ledge and i can't grab it", but not "omg, he grabbed it the moment i hit roll" either.

D

Deleted member

@Drpepper

after watching the vids it seems top-level melee camping is more in short bursts to force an approach, then act accordingly.

What JCaesar said is good, but it pertains to ROB mostly.

Campy characters aren't out of place in Melee. Melee has its fair share. What is out of place in Melee are campy, safe, hard to punish characters with amazing Brawl-like recoveries. Jigglypuff falls into this, but even then, Jiggly plays her Melee game well and isn't nearly as inconsequential in camping as the vBrawl characters are.

You need to understand that they are making their choices out of judgment calls and evaluations of Melee characters in contrast to vBrawl characters and differing game philosophy. There isn't a definitive answer on what is and isn't too campy or what is too good of a recovery.

Scufo

Smash Apprentice
We currently can't change it, and if we do, we will most likely want to make it inbetween Melee and Brawl.

Not "omg, the character is nowhere near the ledge and i can't grab it", but not "omg, he grabbed it the moment i hit roll" either.
I actually kind of like the way edgehogging works in Brawl, where you have to grab the ledge at the right time to make use of your invincibility frames. In Melee, you can just hang on, and then roll up whenever they use their upB, which feels fairly mindless.

/myopinionmatterslol

Crispy4001

Smash Ace

Sounds reasonable, hope it ends up being possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom