• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
i could tell you having disjointed smashes/stuff for lucario would be as GAY as the stuff peach does in melee, he already gets around well enough for melee standards, that should have been enough. the aura system is just too bad to be used(see: arguments about aura) so instead they give him a buff that ascts like full aura(this is actually a bad idea imo, unless it worked like Lucas's offense up and also didint charge)

BAD

Smash Apprentice
After looking up videos and and reading comments by developers, I have to agree with Stingers.

A couple of the Brawl characters, more so looking at my main Lucario, are being rewritten from the ground up rather than taking the next step of balance or making him a part of faster gameplay.

Disjoint on his moves and his Aura mechanics part of what Lucario was about, they were removed. I don't see why this was a balance issue since it didn't break him nor was it better to remove it. It was his thing as a character that made him different, yet I can't think of good reasons to remove something that gave a character difference and an identity as a character.

This is a problem I'm noticing with a couple of characters, more so some Brawl exclusive ones via vids, where the mechanics or things that make them are being removed or changed in many ways to change how the character played.

The way this project is going is the same way I had problems with Brawl+ or even most hacks in general, the set a goal and mid way through production just dropped it to make changes not related to balance.

I'm not liking where Project M is going at this point, this is just another version of Brawl+ at this point.

At least this is how I'm feeling based on the vids I've seen and the info that has been posted, so I'll wait and see how this goes.
That's exactly how I see it too. This project seemed great, but now it's turning into something else entirely. Lucario is my main in Brawl, and they butchered him!

B.W.

Smash Champion
I think we need someone to post here every detail of Lucario's current change and remind people things are still subject to change.

EDIT: And by every detail I mean why things were changed on top of what.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Well, I do appreciate that some people are actually taking the time to read what I write instead of labeling it all as a troll. It does mean a lot.

NxtGenFalco93

Smash Apprentice
LOL.....fail

this will be atleast 100 times better than Brawl+ just so u know
red ryu, thats just his opinion, please dont start a 10 page argument over it again...

and im not a lucario main or anything, but i think i would rather have a buff to damage that requires a charge up than requiring taking damage... it might change his playstyle a bit, but i consider it a buff not just a change.
again, this is all just my opinion, so dont start a huge argument over it please

BAD

Smash Apprentice
The point of it though is that Lucario didn't NEED to be reworked. He was a great and very unique character in Brawl that is balanced and not broken like MetaKnight, and that is why he is my main.

Now he is completely different from his former self. This is what I am against essentially. Lucario could have easily been integrated into the Melee fighting engine without him being butchered and his Aura being taken away from him.

shanus

Smash Hero
After looking up videos and and reading comments by developers, I have to agree with Stingers.

A couple of the Brawl characters, more so looking at my main Lucario, are being rewritten from the ground up rather than taking the next step of balance or making him a part of faster gameplay.

Disjoint on his moves and his Aura mechanics part of what Lucario was about, they were removed. I don't see why this was a balance issue since it didn't break him nor was it better to remove it. It was his thing as a character that made him different, yet I can't think of good reasons to remove something that gave a character difference and an identity as a character.

This is a problem I'm noticing with a couple of characters, more so some Brawl exclusive ones via vids, where the mechanics or things that make them are being removed or changed in many ways to change how the character played.

The way this project is going is the same way I had problems with Brawl+ or even most hacks in general, the set a goal and mid way through production just dropped it to make changes not related to balance.

I'm not liking where Project M is going at this point, this is just another version of Brawl+ at this point.

At least this is how I'm feeling based on the vids I've seen and the info that has been posted, so I'll wait and see how this goes.
First - I know you are an avid brawl supporter, so I doubt you would enjoy this transition to begin with. But to comment on lucario:

Regarding hitbox disjoints, I believe most were unaltered, just animations were slightly tweaked to look more forceful.

Lucario's aura system is still being evaluated, as we aren't really pleased yet with how its structured. It's too complicated with consuming aura charges and doesn't interplay exactly how we hoped.

Regarding aura - We had a lot of fun ideas on how to make lucario a deeper character with some technical components to add to his gameplay. Counter was something which we had capabilities to edit, but felt we could find a way to still play with his "lore" a bit with offering the ability to power up his damage and power in a controlled way (aura stock is an example of bad game mechanics).

We had some fun ideas in mind. For example:

Combo's greater than 3 hits build chargers. Each time you build a charge, you can consume it with down+B to power up your next several attacks (or a permanent damage buff per stock). Obviously a lot of these are out there ideas, but the purpose is two fold:

Lucario metagame is unfortunately spammy and campy. I was hoping to introduce an offensive reward system where pressuring a player will reward a lucario more than a campy one.

These are several ideas we had in mind - but characters evolve a lot over time and nothing is set in stone. Lucario especially.

However, I want to bring up an important point:
Red Ryu, BAD, Stingers et. al. You guys are avid brawl supporters, and (in most cases) not melee players. This game is meant to be melee based, and a simple lucario, wario, ROB, etc, do not play well without changes. We want to keep the feel of a character, but some changes are always required. Look at snake as an example. He is a championed character we spent a lot of time refining, but felt pushback at the start as well. I'm not going to say your going to love the game, but to be honest, I doubt you would anyway. I appreciate you voicing criticism, but in many ways, you aren't our target customer base. If you look at how responsive most melee players are to our characters, our mechanics, and our goal, they are excited for this project. If you cannot accept that characters are going to get changed, I kindly ask you to stop posting in this thread. Instead, if you do accept characters will be changed, I welcome hearing your ideas on how you think the character should be changed.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
For the most part, we don't want Brawl characters to play like they do in Brawl. We may like some (or many) aspects of them, but if they play like their Brawl selves, what's the point?

The goal has been constant. Just because you didn't recognize it doesn't mean it wasn't there.

B.W.

Smash Champion
He very well could have been imbalanced with how aura worked before. Now it just works differently, it's still there. Taking damage and getting power isn't exactly fair. Once you get to a certain point you'll have a huge power difference and could have turned out to be stupid hard to take him down. They just decided to change how aura works so that didn't happen I'm sure.

I don't know this 100% but it would be my guess.

shanus

Smash Hero
Its the camping centric style to his play. Aura promotes camping as he gets stronger. We want to promote offense, not running away. Its that flavor that reeks of brawl, and its something we successfully transformed snake off of.

Red Ryu - Please read Shadic's post regarding project goals, I don't think you ever knew them.

Also, to reiterate:

Red Ryu, BAD, Stingers et. al. You guys are avid brawl supporters, and (in most cases) not melee players. This game is meant to be melee based, and a simple lucario, wario, ROB, etc, do not play well without changes. We want to keep the feel of a character, but some changes are always required. Look at snake as an example. He is a championed character we spent a lot of time refining, but felt pushback at the start as well. I'm not going to say your going to love the game, but to be honest, I doubt you would anyway. I appreciate you voicing criticism, but in many ways, you aren't our target customer base. If you look at how responsive most melee players are to our characters, our mechanics, and our goal, they are excited for this project. If you cannot accept that characters are going to get changed, I kindly ask you to stop posting in this thread. Instead, if you do accept characters will be changed, I welcome hearing your ideas on how you think the character should be changed.

camelot

Smash Ace
Don't think of PM as simply a Brawl mod, think of it as something else entirely.

If we kept some characters largely unchanged from their Brawl counterparts, their feel wouldn't be any different from Brawl's. One of the project's goals is to change characters in order for them to feel close to something you'd get in Melee.

We can't just take Brawl characters, add +1 damage to all of their moves, and call it balanced in a Melee environment. If you want a Brawl character, play Brawl. (Yeah, you could argue "if you want a Melee character, play Melee", but that's not the entire point of the project)

For the most part, we don't want Brawl characters to play like they do in Brawl. We may like some (or many) aspects of them, but if they play like their Brawl selves, what's the point?
Precisely.

B.W.

Smash Champion
I honestly like how Lucario is turning out. I often play characters in fighting games that require a charge up to get stronger like Order-Sol in GGXXAC.

His down-B charge up is in my interests, I hope it stays. He's the first Brawl character I've latched onto, and I didn't even like that he was in Brawl and Mewtwo wasn't.

Demon-oni

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Thanatos-Demon
3DS FC
0147-1152-7184
...Off tangent question, but how is Olimar coming along? His playstyle has got to be one of the harder ones to tweak to a Melee-esque style.

The King Of Hearts

Smash Journeyman

Hey I mained lucario in brawl and I know how you felt just by watching the videos, but I have to say that after playing a few rounds with him that he is really enjoyable. I was pretty confused and skeptical about why lucario was changed quite a bit.

What they've done with lucario broadened him into a wider spectrum. Before we had to rely on his weak combos and slow movement of attacks then change up our style when we did have an aura power up. Now hes a pretty powerful guy who is pretty fast to. The guy in the vid is a bit sub par but anyone with a bit of time would be able to wield this lucario intelligently.

Lucario dosent have an aura range on a few of his attacks but they gave him more dependable power to compensate on those losses. Even his downB is more dependable now, The counter was awkward and slow and tournament wise it would almost be useless to use against a high tier, but down B is very responsive.
It can be canceled, it could float you in air for a bit, it can be mindgamed with taunt or having it on with flames covering you. It powers up you smash attacks and also looks epic when its combined with a forcepalm grab.

the only concern really is his Up B. With auto ledge snap gone its really hard to use due to lucario will either wall cling or bounce. After a few rounds I got used to it and figured a way past it. You dont have to be to cautious with it because of its good hitbox so you could just UpB to the stage or above the ledge or wall cling and then jump and airal dodge back.

What im saying is he isnt held back by his old aura attributes but is now dependable with a wider range of posibilities. He can be used intelligently and technically and still feels like a lucario. Its something you should try out and suggest that you find some info on what smashfest or tournament PM is being held and play a few friendlies.

Remember lucario is bound to change sometime once landing detection is found.
I know I was one of those guys who wasn't happy with brawl + but PM vastly different and satisfying. I hoped this helped you out.

Remember one thing though, you are the wielder of the character your controlling and nothing else can change that while you hold the controller :)

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
You know, when Stingers first posted shared his feelings I thought he was trolling. I never would have guessed he was serious =/

+1 support for devs current path btw, but I'm gonna go watch Lucario vids because I don't actually know what happened to him besides DownB.
His jabs, fair, bair, Dtilt, and Uair looks like they lost the disjoint based on some of the more recent videos.

I know his Aura mechanic is gone, in the vid posted on the last page Zelda would have died in Brawl from a fresh Fsmash buffed from a stock behind and him at 117% with her at 92% near the edge of Smashville.

i could tell you having disjointed smashes/stuff for lucario would be as GAY as the stuff peach does in melee, he already gets around well enough for melee standards, that should have been enough. the aura system is just too bad to be used(see: arguments about aura) so instead they give him a buff that ascts like full aura(this is actually a bad idea imo, unless it worked like Lucas's offense up and also didint charge)
His disjoint was good but is never was broken, there are characters who can out range his moves, and even then most of them have some start-up in exchange for it. He is a reaction and semi-read based character that used ranged spacing tools to keep safe.

You know what many people complain about Lucario about, his Aura trait. Because his knockback is low enough that he can even combo in Brawl. Then at higher % his kill power gets stupid.

Plus Aura affect another important fact, shield stun. Lucario at low % has very few moves that were safe, as % goes up his shield stun went up, at 120% in Brawl his Fsmash is safe on block, non PS with a 0 as frame advantage instead of a -, some of his other moves do similar.

While the mechanic wasn't a Win-win like people thought it was, he defiantly gained a lot more pros than cons.

BAD

Smash Apprentice
Much better Shanus. I commend you on your professionalism.

Anyway, I am an experienced Melee player as well as a Brawl player. When I saw that this project was being developed, I had HIGH hopes for it. I thought to myself:

"Wow, a game that has all the Brawl characters but with the same engine with Melee. Awesome, glad they are doing this rather than Brawl+."

I admit Melee is the better competitive game, but Brawl has a lot of great aspects as well. Just because a character was campy in the Brawl engine does not necessarily guarantee that the same character will play the same in Melee. For you guys to assume that and radically change a character like Lucario I think is the wrong approach. Instead you guys could always use the original moveset from Brawl and improve on it in P:M so the character won't be so spammy.

We are not complaining about the changes to your game. No doubt there will be, but what we are complaining about is the highly unnecessary changes to the characters you guys are working on. Stuff like changing the randomness of moves so that a cahracter is so called more "competitive" is highly unnecessary.

I guess this project isn't what I had hoped for, but no doubt when this get's released I will at least try it out with an open mind.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Your lack of faith in the devs disturbs me.

Changes in the Brawl characters are necessary for them to keep up in this faster, more offensive based world of ours.

Also, this quote is so full of LOL and win that it DESERVES to be quoted.

And fyi, just dumping brawl characters into the Melee engine doesn't accomplish much. They need to be rebuilt to function within the engine or else they will be as out of place as Falcon is in the Brawl engine.

shanus

Smash Hero

Anyway, I am an experienced Melee player as well as a Brawl player. When I saw that this project was being developed, I had HIGH hopes for it. I thought to myself:

"Wow, a game that has all the Brawl characters but with the same engine with Melee. Awesome, glad they are doing this rather than Brawl+."

I admit Melee is the better competitive game, but Brawl has a lot of great aspects as well. Just because a character was campy in the Brawl engine does not necessarily guarantee that the same character will play the same in Melee. For you guys to assume that and radically change a character like Lucario I think is the wrong approach. Instead you guys could always use the original moveset from Brawl and improve on it in P:M so the character won't be so spammy.

We are not complaining about the changes to your game. No doubt there will be, but what we are complaining about is the highly unnecessary changes to the characters you guys are working on. Stuff like changing the randomness of moves so that a cahracter is so called more "competitive" is highly unnecessary.

I guess this project isn't what I had hoped for, but no doubt when this get's released I will at least try it out with an open mind.
The problem there is a disconnect in depth. When you look at characters with so many options and technical components, it adds a real layer on to the "feel" of melee. The problem without really tweaking these characters is that minor edits to hitboxes only go so far. We are *okay* with a campy character. What we are not okay with is you picking up Project M - and end up just playing Brawl. If you can do that, we did something wrong. The game needs to be fast, intense, competitive, and most importantly... fun. And no matter what, when we edit physics of brawl characters to match the pace of melee chars, their metagame has already shifted. That in itself requires moves to be rebuilt to better work with the pace of the game, etcetc.

Some characters transition *really* seamlessly. Characters like sonic are a good example. Lucario really hasn't been edited all that much aside from the aura mechanic, and thats still in flux as well. It's hard to explain partially as you don't have your hands on the game, but I can tell you for a fact that the game does not feel proper if you have one person playing melee, and the other playing brawl.

Does that make sense?

We do both experimental and conservative plays on each character. The reason you don't see a lot of lucario vids is he is still experimental. Please read my post on the previous page for other ideas I had on lucario changes.

BAD

Smash Apprentice
The problem there is a disconnect in depth. When you look at characters with so many options and technical components, it adds a real layer on to the "feel" of melee. The problem without really tweaking these characters is that minor edits to hitboxes only go so far. We are *okay* with a campy character. What we are not okay with is you picking up Project M - and end up just playing Brawl. If you can do that, we did something wrong. The game needs to be fast, intense, competitive, and most importantly... fun. And no matter what, when we edit physics of brawl characters to match the pace of melee chars, their metagame has already shifted. That in itself requires moves to be rebuilt to better work with the pace of the game, etcetc.

Some characters transition *really* seamlessly. Characters like sonic are a good example. Lucario really hasn't been edited all that much aside from the aura mechanic, and thats still in flux as well. It's hard to explain partially as you don't have your hands on the game, but I can tell you for a fact that the game does not feel proper if you have one person playing melee, and the other playing brawl.

Does that make sense?

We do both experimental and conservative plays on each character. The reason you don't see a lot of lucario vids is he is still experimental. Please read my post on the previous page for other ideas I had on lucario changes.
I don't know first-hand what it feels like to play with Brawl characters in a Melee environment and much less know how to program the game to make it work, so I will take your word on this and hope the final product turns out great.

If it's good then hopefully this game will be just as popular as Brawl so that there will be tournaments.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Just because a character was campy in the Brawl engine does not necessarily guarantee that the same character will play the same in Melee. For you guys to assume that and radically change a character like Lucario I think is the wrong approach. Instead you guys could always use the original moveset from Brawl and improve on it in P:M so the character won't be so spammy.
We did not assume. We have playtested. A majority of the BR members experience or have experienced high-level Melee play frequently and understand at least most of what would occur in high-level Project M competition. We don't enjoy doing band-aid fixes to characters in order to make them kinda fit in; that's what led to Brawl+'s stale gameplay.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Just because a character was campy in the Brawl engine does not necessarily guarantee that the same character will play the same in Melee.
You're sounding like we don't test what we do. That is not the case. We have multiple people test just about every change made, especially to the core build.

For you guys to assume that and radically change a character like Lucario I think is the wrong approach. Instead you guys could always use the original moveset from Brawl and improve on it in P:M so the character won't be so spammy.
Is that not what we're doing?

"Highly unnecessary" is completely subjective. The entire project could be deemed "highly unnecessary," (and has) but we do it anyways, in a methodical manner. Not to mention we pay attention to feedback we deem constructive and intelligent and can change course due to it. Some things are put into the public in a matter I personally find counter-productive - Luigi's Side-B for example was pushed out in a way that many people took as more concrete of a change than it is, and perhaps without enough testing from PMBR members first.

We go through a lot of ideas, and not all should be publicized, because they're going to result in.. The last few pages of this thread. Even ideas that don't garner strong negative reactions are often later changed, and luckily some of our unfinished ideas that have leaked out into the public didn't cause mass panic and backlash. ;) Lucas had a move that slowly recovered percentage for a while, before we changed it to his Offense-Up, for example.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
I agree with shanus on this one.

There are certain characters that alreaddy had "tricksies" that enabled them to do all kinds of interesting things in Brawl.

Sonic was definetly up there in terms of having crazy movement options, but in Brawl, they dont "work". Once the moves that didnt "work" were altered, Sonic just kinda was instantly good. Sonic has good aerials, decent ground moves, and more movement options than move other characters.

BAD

Smash Apprentice
I agree with shanus on this one.

There are certain characters that alreaddy had "tricksies" that enabled them to do all kinds of interesting things in Brawl.

Sonic was definetly up there in terms of having crazy movement options, but in Brawl, they dont "work". Once the moves that didnt "work" were altered, Sonic just kinda was instantly good. Sonic has good aerials, decent ground moves, and more movement options than move other characters.
That's a good example, I can see how Sonic would suck in Brawl but would be much better if he just seamlessly transferred over into Melee.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Red Ryu, just because you don't like your vBrawl main in the new game, doesn't mean you can't play it. I mean, I don't have to play Lucas in P:M. Based on the whole entirely new hitstun engine, he plays a lot differently. Lucas just feels even more amazing to me than he did in vBrawl. Lucas was pretty bad in Brawl b/c he didn't really work well. But with a new Z-air, Double Jump Cancel, and new stuff, he just works so well. But if the new Lucario doesn't float your boat, there's other characters. I find Yoshi to be really fun in P:M right now even though I hate Brawl Yoshi. You'll probably find a character you'll like to play.

Rion

Smash Journeyman
Just lookin' over the difference between a few pages ago and now...

It's nice to see a discussion become a little more mild mannered than kind of a big internet shout fest (Well, that was the impression I was getting at least).

Doesn't it get tiring after a while to even think about the word "troll" or "lol" or anything like that? It just seems so headache inducing...

AeonClock

Smash Apprentice

I HIGHLY doubt the BR assumed they would play the same. It just makes sense that they would have seen how the character transitioned into Melee physics BEFORE making any unnecessary changes. The BR only made changes that were completely necessary.

Take Metaknight for example. All they really did was tone down his recovery and tornado while adding a tipper system to add depth to his metagame. He didn't need any moveset overhauls at all. That's because he fit into Melee's playstyle with just a few very minor changes. Sonic is another example of a character that had a relatively smooth transition into Melee physics.

Granted, it seems that you haven't been following the project for as long as most of us have. You haven't been through the countless debates and arguments we have been through. Not to mention the debates that we don't see in the BR as well.

Finally, rebuilding a character is NOT easy work. I SERIOUSLY doubt that the BR would spend countless hours working on characters when they didn't NEED fixing.

So yeah, that's my 2 cents on this issue. I for one believe the BR is doing an excellent job. I doubt that any one of them has the ability to please everyone. You would have to be a wizard to do- oh wait :awesome:

Edit: Damn, this can't even be classified as a ninja... I was ultra-super-mega-person-that-walks-silently-in-the-night-and-looks-to-assassinate-his-designated-targets.....'d >_>

B.W.

Smash Champion
How is this gonna be distributed when it's done and released to the public? Like what all is gonna be needed to play the game.

B.W.

Smash Champion
The same way you get Brawl+ I assume.
I never really had Brawl+ I dunno how they eventually got it on the system. I left B+ alone halfway in production because I didn't like where they decided to take it.

The King Of Hearts

Smash Journeyman
How is this gonna be distributed when it's done and released to the public? Like what all is gonna be needed to play the game.
Thunderhorse said that it was going to be available at your local gamestop :p

Most likely they will have a smash stack solution (you need a wii and an SD card) Drag and drop the files, start the games custome stage builder and your good to go.

Or if you have a hacked wii, A mod installer might be available which you place the installer file on your card and it installs it for you (easy as pie)

Or you can inject all the files manually along with the codes.

Where they will release it, on thier personal site, Smashmods, or here :)

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
I feel like a certain amount of randomness (not the tripping kind, but getting a misfire kind) isn't bad. Too much is just bad, but some is fine. How stupid would it be if G&W got a 9 whenever he wanted? That would just be bad. But having a chance of it, if only 1/7th, can make it sometimes worth it to use as a punish. However, the backroom disagrees with that about Misfire. So w/e's

Phantom1987

Smash Apprentice
Oh come on people!! you could have a little more faith in the BR. And If you don't like a change you can make your statement and give a good reason of why it would fit melee's enviroment rather than saying "I think it makes him more unique", because there are many things that would make a char unique but would be trash in melee. For example, Wario's bike made him unique but it would fail just too hard with melee's mechanics so it had to be removed (and Wario is awesome now).

B.W.

Smash Champion
Thunderhorse said that it was going to be available at your local gamestop :p

Most likely they will have a smash stack solution (you need a wii and an SD card) Drag and drop the files, start the games custome stage builder and your good to go.

Or if you have a hacked wii, A mod installer might be available which you place the installer file on your card and it installs it for you (easy as pie)

Or you can inject all the files manually along with the codes.

Where they will release it, on thier personal site, Smashmods, or here :)
Exactly the the answer I was looking for, thanks. I'll call Gamestop tomorrow and ask when they'll be getting a shipment in.

(I'm soooo funny /wrists)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom