• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sterowent

Smash Ace
for characters that do have good run speeds, bairs are now more viable as approaches. this could certainly change things, but i can't recall a bair that's more viable as an approach tool than nairs for any high or top tier characters. even still, it'd be a balance issue, and the RAR mostly forces players to use a SH bair in spacing situations, since all other aerials with back to opponents are generally inferior. maybe special moves mixed in for flavor/fakeouts?

the bigger issue to many is the ability to simply RAR shorthop to the ledge, but that's another issue with techskill and assuming that backwards ledge grabs would be removed.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
rar shorthop? i hope you mean rar wd. lol.

off the top of my head, i'd rather approach with bair than nair as Falcon. same with sheik.

L/A/W

Smash Journeyman
We're not "putting in" RAR. It's just there. We'd need to make a code to remove it.
Jiggs runs slower than she moves in the air. RAR Bair doesn't help her approach at all.
yeah sorry i forget were using brawl here haha
yeah i know it's not a good approach she has the slowest run in the game but it's just more bair gayness from all characters

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
I'm the only one in the entirety of the Back Room that wants reverse ledge grabbing to be completely removed outside of the Up-B's that could in Melee, or ones that are similar to those that could in Melee.
*Ahem*

I agree that if possible reverse ledgegrabs should be gone. It waters down the ledge game. Granted I am not an absolute Melee purist when it comes to the ledge (**** ledge occupacy in Melee. It's one thing to encourage gimps. It's another to make it practically mindless against a majority of the cast. I support the current system because you have to time your hogs more effectively or actively pursue the gimp.) but I don't like reverse grabbing.

I just don't bother to ever bring it up because of what I understand to be a huge burden on the coders to remove it completely. They have enough on their plates right now that they don't need me *****ing about reverse grabs.

Machiavelli.CF

Ivy of the West
NNID
Machiavelli.CF
3DS FC
3222-5675-4966
the bigger issue to many is the ability to simply RAR shorthop to the ledge, but that's another issue with techskill and assuming that backwards ledge grabs would be removed.
Characters had no problem grabbing onto a ledge in Melee : P dont worry.
As a Melee player myself I think the chances are slim that RAR edgehog would be the best option you can wavedash to it if you're short on time, or wait and turn around and full hop back onto it if you got plenty of time.
RAR seems like a good idea to me
but please tell me reverse edge grabbing won't be in ;-;

huge burden on the coders to remove it completely.
well.. maybe tehy dont have to remove or edit the grab range but just block the ability to. if that made any sence..
but yeah.. maybe not now but somewhere along the line it should be taken out

L/A/W

Smash Journeyman
Characters had no problem grabbing onto a ledge in Melee : P dont worry.
As a Melee player myself I think the chances are slim that RAR edgehog would be the best option you can wavedash to it if you're short on time, or wait and turn around and full hop back onto it if you got plenty of time.
RAR seems like a good idea to me
but please tell me reverse edge grabbing won't be in ;-;
rar would allow you to change direction out of a run and then wd to the ledge

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
*Ahem*

I just don't bother to ever bring it up because of what I understand to be a huge burden on the coders to remove it completely. They have enough on their plates right now that they don't need me *****ing about reverse grabs.

Pretty much this. It's not that a lot of PMBRers wouldn't be perfectly fine with removing backwards grabbing, it's that we've done what we can easily do right now and we have higher priorities.

Also, RAR is awesome. Even Strong Bad likes it and that should tell you something, since he's one of most conservative PMBR members. I don't think we've had a single 'pro' play the game and complain about it that I know of.

cubaisdeath

Smash Lord
RAR wavedash to the edge only saves fractions of seconds over running towards the edge, wavedashing, then pivoting, and wavedashing to the edge. the same thing happens either way, and both methods are very quick

With roll up hogging gone, I see no problem with making it easier to get to the ledge, since there are a few recoveries that are almost impossible to edgehog if used properly.

Though it's not like my opinion has a lot of weight either.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Sorry guys

I know i'm suppose to be doing a trailer but I've ran into wall after wall. I got pretty much what I need but I just haven't done it yet because I was busy with this game and Then this girl I've been talking too...etc..etc...excuse...excuse...johns...johns.

All in all I'll see if I can put up a teaser or something on the ProjectMelee Channel but It'll be in private at first and only released if the Overseers of this say so....yeah look for that in the next day or 2.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
yo man, don't let project m l-cancel you (l-cancel = laid cancel). go after that chick.
RAR wavedash to the edge only saves fractions of seconds over running towards the edge, wavedashing, then pivoting, and wavedashing to the edge. the same thing happens either way, and both methods are very quick
lemme see lolz
running -> turnaround wd with fox = 14 frames spend wding
running -> wd -> turn around wd = at least 29 frames.

rar does make things like shine turnaround wavedash hogging, sheik using needles to turnaround in the air, marth bair hogging, etc. obsolete, but it overall adds more depth.

Sneak8288

Smash Champion
yo man, don't let project m l-cancel you (l-cancel = laid cancel). go after that chick.

lemme see lolz
running -> turnaround wd with fox = 14 frames spend wding
running -> wd -> turn around wd = at least 29 frames.

rar does make things like shine turnaround wavedash hogging, sheik using needles to turnaround in the air, marth bair hogging, etc. obsolete, but it overall adds more depth.
Yea but like I've said plenty of times before, when you think about it RAR WD is still more or less situational. You still would have to dash from a far enough distance to actually turn. Either way i think most people would SD trying to do it anyway. Scrubs lol

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
wha........ what? rar wd is no less situational than pivot wd from near the ledge.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
You have to pivot, though. As in, dash dance and jump on the first frame of the second dash.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
except pivoting is faster, because you wd on the first frame possible.

edit: electric hitlag meleefied! let's go!

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Magus said:
In Melee, electric attacks have 1.5x hitlag on hit for the person being hit but 1x for the attacker, so on hit they gain a few extra frames of advantage from it than normal, and it also doesn't change the timing to move after hitting them compared to a shield. On block it's 1x for both.

In Brawl it's 1.5x on hit for both players and 1x on block. Since it also affects the attacker it can seem laggy to them on hit, and it changes when they can move out of it.
Fix'd to be Melee-like nao.

shanus

Smash Hero
I'm the only one in the entirety of the Back Room that wants reverse ledge grabbing to be completely removed outside of the Up-B's that could in Melee, or ones that are similar to those that could in Melee. I'm not the average Project M developer, that's for sure.
Wrong, or else I wouldnt have made a code for it. However, because your misinformed I wish to clarify.

Ledge grabs are modified by a routine 21C20 in fighter.pac which is run every frame during most air actions, fall, aerials, jumps even, etc. Within it, it resets the ledge occupancy rules. However, when you try and change it, it results in being able to even grab the edge during an aerial.... I have some new ideas on how to fix it that I thought of yesterday, but thats why my code only works for a few frames.

Wind Owl

Smash Lord
In Melee, electric attacks have 1.5x hitlag on hit for the person being hit but 1x for the attacker, so on hit they gain a few extra frames of advantage from it than normal, and it also doesn't change the timing to move after hitting them compared to a shield. On block it's 1x for both.

In Brawl it's 1.5x on hit for both players and 1x on block. Since it also affects the attacker it can seem laggy to them on hit, and it changes when they can move out of it.

Fix'd to be Melee-like nao.
Wow, way to quote Magus without giving him credit.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
shanus: whaaaat, back in January people were still disagreeing with me about it. have people changed their minds?
windowl: quote tags are so annoying to type on an iPod... happy now?

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
windowl is silly because he doesn't check his facts before saying something is whack
I'm the only one in the entirety of the Back Room that wants reverse ledge grabbing to be completely removed outside of the Up-B's that could in Melee, or ones that are similar to those that could in Melee.

Sorry, had to be done :p

I got a chance to test P:M extensively tonight. P:M Wolf is hands down the most fun i've had playing a character in a fighting game. Period. I couldn't be happier with this character.
Yeah I think Wolf was really well Meleefied (and by *Guy* no less). I hope we can do as well with the other Brawl characters.

*Ahem*

I agree that if possible reverse ledgegrabs should be gone. It waters down the ledge game. Granted I am not an absolute Melee purist when it comes to the ledge (**** ledge occupacy in Melee. It's one thing to encourage gimps. It's another to make it practically mindless against a majority of the cast. I support the current system because you have to time your hogs more effectively or actively pursue the gimp.) but I don't like reverse grabbing.

^ 100%

I know i'm suppose to be doing a trailer but I've ran into wall after wall. I got pretty much what I need but I just haven't done it yet because I was busy with this game and Then this girl I've been talking too...etc..etc...excuse...excuse...johns...johns.

All in all I'll see if I can put up a teaser or something on the ProjectMelee Channel but It'll be in private at first and only released if the Overseers of this say so....yeah look for that in the next day or 2.
There's no rush man, take your time.

shanus

Smash Hero
I'll see if my new method works as I had been puzzled for a while at how to best target 21C20, but then I remembered our little recent discovery of how to monitor the current action and all was well with the world

shanus

Smash Hero
shanus is crazy

are u gonna be at apex?
probably not, although a client meeting popped up i think that week in new york or NJ so if i do get to go there i might be able to stay longer for at least part of apex

Iamthemovie

Smash Journeyman
Let me ask this one thing
Can you moonwalk to RAR in P:M? I've always seen Captain Falcon do a moonwalk to bair in Melee, I'd like to see him do a moonwalk to knee this time.

EDIT: Wait a second, nevermind, it's probably better to just run off the edge and then knee...

shanus

Smash Hero
RAR works out of the running animation, not the initial dash (initial dash goes into action 7, whereas running turn goes into action 8

Moonwalks occur only in initial dash and into wait, not initial dash into run

humble

Smash Ace
Are DACUS's being kept?

Has anything been done to make Planking less effective?

Will Ness get his Yo-Yo's that hang over the edge back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom