• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
It wasn't. But too bad I didn't say this in sonic cage dome or I would have been banned.
You would have been infracted for flaming, much like on any other forum.
I personally think something needs to be done about Diddy's recovery. Sure, his crappy up b balances out his dominance on the stage, but in a melee-like environment, he's going to be screwed 90% of the time...
*points to Falco?*
Falco's dominance on-stage shot him to 2nd or 3rd in the game in Melee. Then again, Diddy doesn't have flinching lasers... We'll get to it in the balancing stage of the game.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
If Diddy's recovery limited him in such a way that even a mediocre player could gimp him (say, if he magically goes into special fall and can't grab a ledge for a second if he's jabbed out of his UpB), some simple changes just to make him playable would probably be done at the least.

Logically, I'd probably say that balance really only gets done by the team this early on if there's a case of extremes such as a character having easy infinites or a character that is easy to infinite or gimp through unbelievably easy and stupid ways.

And I'm only saying that on the basis of what the PM team has said about their priority on balance: the versions are changing at a rate that would make balance almost completely pointless.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
I personally think something needs to be done about Diddy's recovery. Sure, his crappy up b balances out his dominance on the stage, but in a melee-like environment, he's going to be screwed 90% of the time...
His recovery is more than fine when you put it in a Melee environment, especially when there are still several characters with worse/easier to gimp recoveries. Some characters would kill for his Side B and an Up B with diverse distance/trajectories. He's recovery has to be absolutely perfect, but he's not alone in that respect either.

humble

Smash Ace
Diddy's on stage nanner game makes up for his offstage recovery. Its not that bad off, he still has side B, and his barrel boost covers a huge distance and can be angled, so you can mixup your opponents to recover.

Sora-kun

Smash Ace
Shanus already nailed it, however I've had to warn about this earlier in the thread; I'll re-up this for those that missed it: No flaming or trolling. Not to members, not to P:MBR, this goes for everyone involved.

you mean me ?_? i clearly said i was joking but ok w/e.

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
Stfu about Diddy's recovery foos. This is Melee (....2.0), a lot of them are almost as bad as Diddy's. XD

Besides, Diddy doesn't have an upB. Use sideB. C'mon son.

I R MarF

Smash Ace
Yeah, Diddy's recovery doesn't need changing. It shoots high and its trajectory can be controlled, he also has side B for close recoveries.

And Diddy's recovery isn't half as bad as Mario's, Bowser's, or DK's.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Sora-Kun: Bionic Sonic was referring to Glöwworm.

DK's recovery is good though...

I R MarF

Smash Ace
Strong Bad, your Kong and tech skills may be good but I think Plum was referring to deep recoveries; a scenario any DK would have difficulty with.

94teen

Smash Cadet
Any chance Sonic could have a moonwalk/would a moonwalk fit into his gameplay? I'm just envisioning how awesome moonwalked taunt cancels could be. I also really wish Zamus could have one, but I thought I read somewhere earlier in the thread that the file was too small to fit the moonwalk code.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Sonic can moonwalk.
Strong Bad, your Kong and tech skills may be good but I think Plum was referring to deep recoveries; a scenario any DK would have difficulty with.
Deep recoveries? Wat lol.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
windowl is silly because he doesn't check his facts before saying something is whack

humble

Smash Ace
How well does foxtrotting work for most characters though? Are you guys keeping RAR? How would that affect edgehogging, being that you can go straight from a run, then RAR a wavedash off the edge and immediately grabbing the ledge.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Fox trotting doesn't work on the characters with the moonwalking code

<_<
Yes it does. You just have to time it, much like in Melee.
How well does foxtrotting work for most characters though?
idk
Are you guys keeping RAR?
Yes.
How would that affect edgehogging, being that you can go straight from a run, then RAR a wavedash off the edge and immediately grabbing the ledge.
Since you can grab the ledge while facing away from it, this doesn't really. I do it by habit anyway.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I never said you could....? You can still run toward the ledge and shorthop to grab the ledge.

kaizo13

Smash Champion
i still say no to RAR....i know most of you think it's an effective tech (and i totally agree) But so is Brawl airdodge. but sadly they just don''t belong in a Melee-esque environment.

....i don't see why the same can't be done for RAR

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Brawl Air Dodge doesn't add competitive depth to the game, while Melee Air Dodge does.
Same goes for RAR

Wind Owl

Smash Lord
Melee has RAR lol. It just takes longer. I don't see how adding mobility options "doesn't belong in a Melee-esque environment."

lol, this is the average project m developer, folks
Um... wow. If you mean Strong Bad, he's about as "far right" (in favor of pure Melee) as they come. So what are you even talking about?

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
i still say no to RAR....i know most of you think it's an effective tech (and i totally agree) But so is Brawl airdodge. but sadly they just don''t belong in a Melee-esque environment.

RAR = an additional offensive option. A way to mixup your approach. It doesn't make sense to remove it when making the game more offense oriented is a major goal of this project.

I got a chance to test P:M extensively tonight. P:M Wolf is hands down the most fun i've had playing a character in a fighting game. Period. I couldn't be happier with this character.

kaizo13

Smash Champion
Brawl Air Dodge doesn't add competitive depth to the game, while Melee Air Dodge does.
Same goes for RAR
i don't think RAR adds competetive depth to the game. The way i see it, it just creates shortcuts for melee techs.

Melee has RAR lol. It just takes longer. I don't see how adding mobility options "doesn't belong in a Melee-esque environment."
uhhhh....i don't believe you could run across the stage and Bair a recovering opponent in Melee >>

EDIT:
in the end...it wouldn't bother me too much if it stayed. Maybe it will be better once the game gets some more friction

L/A/W

Smash Journeyman
don't put in rar jiggs can just approach with bair straight from a run now and its not necessary anyways

edit: kaizo i believe he means running going into the turnaround animation and then jumping which is just lol

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
lol, this is the average project m developer, folks
I'm the only one in the entirety of the Back Room that wants reverse ledge grabbing to be completely removed outside of the Up-B's that could in Melee, or ones that are similar to those that could in Melee. I'm not the average Project M developer, that's for sure.

Reverse Aerial Rush adds competitive depth to the game because it's a universal AT that provides players with options. Wavedashing as an AT adds a universal spacing tool; RAR as an AT adds a universal tool to approach and space with Back-airs or reverse Nairs or reverse Knees.
Much like Dash-Dancing and Wavedashing adds depth by adding options, RAR adds competitive depth to the game by presenting players with options and forces decisions. Now that RARing a back air is an option, characters like Captain Falcon, Donkey Kong, and Mario have more options to their approach game.

I seriously don't know how you could argue that RAR doesn't add competitive depth outside of "lolz it wasn't in melee." Roman Canceling can't be in Guilty Gear guyz, it wasn't in Melee!
don't put in rar jiggs can just approach with bair straight from a run now and its not necessary anyways
We're not "putting in" RAR. It's just there. We'd need to make a code to remove it.
Jiggs runs slower than she moves in the air. RAR Bair doesn't help her approach at all.

Machiavelli.CF

Ivy of the West
NNID
Machiavelli.CF
3DS FC
3222-5675-4966
I'm the only one in the entirety of the Back Room that wants reverse ledge grabbing to be completely removed outside of the Up-B's that could in Melee, or ones that are similar to those that could in Melee.
Really? ****...
Why in the world would they want that
It never got in the way of a good Melee player, (dont fix it, it's not broken)
ugh... more easy mode.. :\

cubaisdeath

Smash Lord

if you take away RAR then you leave a lot of characters approach and mixup options limited. I love using RAR with a lot of characters. RAR bair edge cancels are incredibly useful. Its used sparingly enough to where you won't see it all the time, or even nearly as often as brawl, I mean, you have to be past your initial dash animation to even do it, so thus you need space lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom